• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction How do you deal with travelling abroad when dependent on a controlled substance?

Some ways to help panic attacks naturally … you can do different breathing exercises. Deep slow breaths literally help your body calm down which can help the mind follow. Look up different breathing exercises (there’s different ones & sometimes different ones help different people) … taking a nice deep slow breath in … holding it in for a couple seconds & then slowly letting it out will calm your body.

Also taking a cold water bottle & placing it on your neck & holding it there will also automatically calm your body down a bit as well
Good luck, I hope everything goes well 💜
Thanks, I appreciate that

Also I saw that you wrote that you did a taper, but if you are worried or don’t feel right is there a hospital or medical center you can go to? I mean maybe just knowing that that is an option can help you in the back of your mind (like as a back up in the same way as if you would have had a couple in the back of your wallet)
I'm travelling to Asia and I'm not sure how the medical system will work with holiday insurance and whatever if I get panicky or convince myself withdrawals will hit. But I'm sure it'll be fine. I think here in Europe I'm fairly chilled with it, because even without insurance I know people around who can help me out, even if it mains a few hours on a train to pick up some tablets.

And yeah, my taper was pretty fast I guess, although right now I feel fine. It's like 8 hours since my last 0.25 dose and I feel ready for bed and no sort of symptoms. I think the panicking today was just me getting into my own head. Have you had experience with xanax yourself?

Thanks, I appreciate that
You’re welcome 😊 keep those tips in mind during your trip, sounds like you’re doing great too
I'm travelling to Asia and I'm not sure how the medical system will work with holiday insurance and whatever if I get panicky or convince myself withdrawals will hit. But I'm sure it'll be fine. I think here in Europe I'm fairly chilled with it, because even without insurance I know people around who can help me out, even if it mains a few hours on a train to pick up some tablets.

And yeah, my taper was pretty fast I guess, although right now I feel fine. It's like 8 hours since my last 0.25 dose and I feel ready for bed and no sort of symptoms. I think the panicking today was just me getting into my own head. Have you had experience with xanax yourself?
Oh yea I’m not sure about Asia … that’s cool though, sounds good though like you have a good plan & you sound resilient. (I think you’ll be fine too)

& yea I definitely have experience myself with Xanax, clonazepam ect. As far as safety is concerned it’s really good you tapered. If you need any support feel free to reach out here. I hope you have fun on your vacation too 💜

Provided it’s not stinky, I put it in a container that makes sense. So brown heroin would go in a box of brown sugar. White powder in an empty bag of inulin. Pills, in OTC pill bottles. And then everything goes in checked luggage. There’s rarely time to scan checked luggage. Never had any issues. My h nasal solution bottle is in my purse, in a bottle for allergy drops.

If it’s stinky or obvious, that’s more complicated. I put peyote up my vag to get it to the US from NL. And I won’t walk through full body scanners, only metal detectors, for health reasons. I tell them I’m pregnant.

Provided it’s not stinky, I put it in a container that makes sense. So brown heroin would go in a box of brown sugar. White powder in an empty bag of inulin. Pills, in OTC pill bottles. And then everything goes in checked luggage. There’s rarely time to scan checked luggage. Never had any issues. My h nasal solution bottle is in my purse, in a bottle for allergy drops.

If it’s stinky or obvious, that’s more complicated. I put peyote up my vag to get it to the US from NL. And I won’t walk through full body scanners, only metal detectors, for health reasons. I tell them I’m pregnant.
Wow you're braver than I am!

You’re welcome 😊 keep those tips in mind during your trip, sounds like you’re doing great too

Oh yea I’m not sure about Asia … that’s cool though, sounds good though like you have a good plan & you sound resilient. (I think you’ll be fine too)

& yea I definitely have experience myself with Xanax, clonazepam ect. As far as safety is concerned it’s really good you tapered. If you need any support feel free to reach out here. I hope you have fun on your vacation too 💜
Thank you :) It's been almost 18 hours since my last 0.25 dose, and I feel just normal, apart from having a bit of trouble falling asleep last night. Glad to have had it for the last month or two, but I'll be glad to be clear from it, too

Absolutely do not be carrying any kind of pills in your wallet, on your person or in your belongings. It is not worth the risk. If you have to take drugs overseas and there is no way around this, for whatever reason, then the only remotely safe way is by keeping the drugs inside your body. This isn't too difficult, I've done it a few times. Take a condom, put your pills in the condom, squeeze the air out, seal and tie, put inside another condom, repeat, insert then retrieve later. If you are a nervous person (especially considering you're already on a Benzo taper and are likely keyed up) then you shouldn't be attempting this in any way. If you get selected for screening, they can pretty easily break you down if you're already feeling weak.

I don't understand why it's not possible to figure this out though. If you're prescribed the medication, can you not just bring the pill bottle? Most countries are going to tolerate a small amount of medication if you have any kind of proof of prescription. Hell, I purchased 10 strips of Diazepam in Iraq, blacked out and brought it through airport security in Turkey. They were in blister packs though, which lends a small amount of credibility to the situation. My point is, you can generally import small amounts of just about any medication as one of those generally understood rules of international travel.

Of course, this is a "generally understood rule" not a law. For instance, Methadone is illegal in certain countries like Russia for instance. You should always check, though I can't imagine a few Alprazolam pills are going to make headlines.

Can I ask where you're going? That's pretty important.

Absolutely do not be carrying any kind of pills in your wallet, on your person or in your belongings. It is not worth the risk. If you have to take drugs overseas and there is no way around this, for whatever reason, then the only remotely safe way is by keeping the drugs inside your body. This isn't too difficult, I've done it a few times. Take a condom, put your pills in the condom, squeeze the air out, seal and tie, put inside another condom, repeat, insert then retrieve later. If you are a nervous person (especially considering you're already on a Benzo taper and are likely keyed up) then you shouldn't be attempting this in any way. If you get selected for screening, they can pretty easily break you down if you're already feeling weak.

I don't understand why it's not possible to figure this out though. If you're prescribed the medication, can you not just bring the pill bottle? Most countries are going to tolerate a small amount of medication if you have any kind of proof of prescription. Hell, I purchased 10 strips of Diazepam in Iraq, blacked out and brought it through airport security in Turkey. They were in blister packs though, which lends a small amount of credibility to the situation. My point is, you can generally import small amounts of just about any medication as one of those generally understood rules of international travel.

Of course, this is a "generally understood rule" not a law. For instance, Methadone is illegal in certain countries like Russia for instance. You should always check, though I can't imagine a few Alprazolam pills are going to make headlines.

Can I ask where you're going? That's pretty important.
Going to Turkey. Yeah my situation is a bit complicated because I don't have health insurance. I did get them prescribed by an actual doctor, who is a friend, though they bent some rules to get me the pills and the prescription is not in my name.

Yeah so far I'm not that keyed up. Got quickly down to 0.5mg a day, split into two doses. I've sat on that for 5 or 6 days now, and felt generally fine. It's been about 24 hours since my last 0.25 and still feeling just normal, apart from very mild anxiety, but I have drunk a few strong coffees, smoke like a chimney, and am starting a new job tomorrow. I'm going to stick to 0.25mg per day for the next couple of days just to see how that goes.

As for screening, I always get selected

If the thing you take is illegal, how do you deal with that? Or if you are taking prescription pills that are illegal in the country you're going to, and don't have any proof of prescription, etc. How do you deal with that?

edit: not talking about taking something illegally into a country, but rather dealing without or dealing with difficult getting it. Context: I'm at the very end of a xanax taper (short-term use, currently down to the last couple of days at 0.25mg, down from up to 2mg a day) and should be, according to my doctor, fine to stop in the next couple of days. I wanted to keep my last couple of 0.5mg pills with me in my wallet all the time as a kind of safety net, generally, in case of any panic attack or whatever, but I'm travelling to a very strict country. I am not able to get a letter confirming my need for the medication in time for the trip.
I once traveled to Costa Rica from LA for a job. There was also a layover in El Salvador. I was addicted to oxy at the time. I simply put 2 weeks worth of a 20 pill per day habit in an advil bottle in my checked bag and nobody noticed shit. This was in like 2013 tho.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend it tho bc it seems like I just got lucky

is getting gabapentin an option? i think you would be fine doing something like that and coming off 0.5mg

and if not something prescription, look into gaba promoting supplements such as

-lithium orotate
-magnesium
-taurine
- l-theanine

take the right dosage of all 4 of those and you will be chill.
In the past suffering from stress/ slight depression and a lack of help from my dr. I basickly took a microdose of Lithium, in the mentioned orotate form. The dosage was way lower then Bipolair-disorder treatment requires but never read anything about it being GABA-ergic. Do you have anymore info on the mechanism behind it.

Two other in research wellknown GABA aimed ao plant's you may find useful are Lemon Balm and Passiflora Incarnata. Both inhibit GABA-t (transaminase) which is a enzym that breaks down GABA, they are both healthy and have other positive effects.
Taking them in theory will result in more GABA circling around, which I hope will be strong enough to smooth out the transition from a Benzo taper to your natural state. I am at that spot right now. And have not noticed anything resembling WD's after my slow taper. Slept very well last night without Benzodiazepinen/ Booze, even without the Herb's.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19165747/

And if you decide on Magnesium be sure to choose the right form, afaik Magnesium-Bisglycinaat (Mg. bonded with Glycine a inhibitory amino acid) or Magnesium-Taurate (Mg. bonded with Taurine also inhibitory) are superiour, cross the blood brain barrier, and are bonded with an useful aminoacid. As Glycine, Taurine and GABA are kinda connected as inhibitory amino acid's

Magnesium (Hydro) Oxide is a laxative and when overdone Mg-citraat too. Mg-Tartraat is more for the body builder.

In the past suffering from stress/ slight depression and a lack of help from my dr. I basickly took a microdose of Lithium, in the mentioned orotate form. The dosage was way lower then Bipolair-disorder treatment requires but never read anything about it being GABA-ergic. Do you have anymore info on the mechanism behind it.

Two other in research wellknown GABA aimed ao plant's you may find useful are Lemon Balm and Passiflora Incarnata. Both inhibit GABA-t (transaminase) which is a enzym that breaks down GABA, they are both healthy and have other positive effects.
Taking them in theory will result in more GABA circling around, which I hope will be strong enough to smooth out the transition from a Benzo taper to your natural state. I am at that spot right now. And have not noticed anything resembling WD's after my slow taper. Slept very well last night without Benzodiazepinen/ Booze, even without the Herb's.

And if you decide on Magnesium be sure to choose the right form, afaik Magnesium-Bisglycinaat (Mg. bonded with Glycine a inhibitory amino acid) or Magnesium-Taurate (Mg. bonded with Taurine also inhibitory) are superiour, cross the blood brain barrier, and are bonded with an useful aminoacid. As Glycine, Taurine and GABA are kinda connected as inhibitory amino acid's

Magnesium (Hydro) Oxide is a laxative and when overdone Mg-citraat too. Mg-Tartraat is more for the body builder.
At the same spot as in tapering down to 0.5g? (today is my first trying a full day at only 0.25). I slept really well last night, too, but couldn't fall asleep for a while. Think my mind is just occupied by the anticipation of stopping, because honestly, if it were possible, I'd stay taking the 3 doses of 0.5mg xanax a day, because for those two months I felt 'normal' for the first time since I was a kid. But, yeah, I know the risks, so I'm getting off it.

And thanks for the advice. I'm going to get out over the weekend to go supplement shopping

“For herbs, I recommend formulas to calm the Shen or one to raise GABA. GABA is the neurotransmitter in the brain that inhibits panic and anxiety (and quiets the brain). Modern day stress has – for many people - causes a deficiency in GABA. Most people do not get better simply by taking GABA which is available over the counter at most health food stores. Formulas with Magnesium, L-Taurine, Valerian and Lithium, will calm the nervous system. As with the patient above, when I gave her a formula to naturally induce her own stores of GABA, she was helped tremendously. As her body was detoxing from cannabis, she would sporadically experience extremely calm moments similar to feeling "stoned." I have also given these formulas to patients with diagnosed bipolar disorder during their manic phases and patients with extreme anxiety, which also causes a similar feeling that the brain is over-stimulated and cannot power off.”

i mixed up l-theanine and valerian.

If it's an extra strict country and you're basically off it, I'd seriously go without if you cannot get an official letter. You don't wanna end up jailed for a couple xanax tabs.
There's always a way to disguise meds. You can make a liquid tincture of the pills and put it in a bottle of water and use glue to seal the cap so it looks unopened. Think outside the box. If the dogs can't smell it you only have to deal with the body scanner and baggage scan. If there's a will there's a way.
But not being on meds are the best no doubt.

Just so everyone is aware, this isn't universal knowledge, they now have machines in basically every airport that can register and detect chemicals and tell the security agents exactly what the chemical is. For instance, you put your pills into a solution like @PharmaTrain suggested. Previously, it would have been much more difficult to identify this sort of thing. Nowadays, if they are suspicious, they can pretty easily take a sample, put it through this machine and the machine will say "Alprazolam" or what have you.

Like a lot of folks have already said here, it's basically a chance thing. Most people will get through, it's just a big risk if something goes wrong.

7d13b7dc5f7dde97fcbd5d09181afa64.jpg

large-screenshot3.jpg

midnight-express-customs-scene-1.jpg

midnight_express-133114471-large.jpg

MV5BZjRjOWFkNTEtZjQyNi00ZmZhLWIzNzItYTdmMTkxMGI0NmQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

163903.jpg

midnight-express-1978-03-g+-+Copie.jpg

1-7.jpg

Midnight-Express-513.jpg

Midnight-Express-245.jpg

wp4172895.jpg

As mentioned by @Keif' Richards fRichards - in a condom, up the goother, at least for most things (ie powders, especially heroin).

I've never brought anything further than England which was by boat and customs didn't check me as we went by car. I didn't even come across any customs officers. I taped three Qs (.2 x 3) inside my belly button of all places. I don't know why I didn't keister it (which I'd advise). Next time, if there is one.

I went to Toronto in the absolute pits of Heroin withdrawal (yap, dumb move) but there was no way I was bringing anything there. All I brought was my diazepam which was prescribed and in my carry-on which nothing was ever said about. Heroin withdrawal in the 6ix with 5 feet of snow at Christmas time aint the place to be, my brothers and sisters in Christ. I was delirious the whole time.

Wow you're braver than I am!
I’m very confident and that helps loads. I also travel first class & don‘t remotely look like a drug user. If you stay calm & act normal, like everything is order, people will assume you’re a good citizen. It’s amazing what you can get away with if you just act cool. For me it’s not an act, just my default state. I can’t actually act to save my life.

Just so everyone is aware, this isn't universal knowledge, they now have machines in basically every airport that can register and detect chemicals and tell the security agents exactly what the chemical is. For instance, you put your pills into a solution like @PharmaTrain suggested. Previously, it would have been much more difficult to identify this sort of thing. Nowadays, if they are suspicious, they can pretty easily take a sample, put it through this machine and the machine will say "Alprazolam" or what have you.

Like a lot of folks have already said here, it's basically a chance thing. Most people will get through, it's just a big risk if something goes wrong.
Chemical sniffers have been around for decades, I thought?