• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How do you deal with opioid constipation?

^ agreed, MoM is quite effective! It's been on the shelf for so many years for good reasons. Sadly, I had to abandon the MoM when I had to be put in anti-coagulants. But I can attest to the effectiveness of ol' tried& true MoM. Whichever method "moves" you ... DOOOOO it ....you don't want go to a hospital complaining of lower back pain & have x-rays come back " you have some serious fecal matter backed up in you." / "You're full of shit". What happens next ? No fun. You'll feel violated in the behind. ;)
Be a responsible proactive user.

Milk of magnisea is one of the safest ones too to use its gentle too doesn't stimulate like other such as ducelax (bisacodyl) will.
Ducelax will work and its predictable like senna but its so hard on the digestive system and cause very fast tolerance and is very habit forming if taken daily or every other day then it will make constipation worse 9 times out of 10

Nobody wants to develop a "sluggish bowel". It even sounds horrible.

I know that's why I wanted to clear up what nurse said about senna I don't want anyone thinking its "fine" to take a much senna as needed to poop everyday when they will most likely run into problems like having a sluggish bowel from taking it. Just because something is natural doesn't mean its fine to take all the time. Your Better off starting with changing your diet then trying home remedies such as prunes then trying an osmotic laxative (Milk of magnesia or miralax/lactulose) or a bulk adding laxative such as metamucil. Stims shouldn't be taken if your plainng on daily use although they will let you shove as much crap as you please into your mouth knowing the stims will push it out of you, in the long term this will only cause more problems.

Take it for what it is. Do what works for you. I am just pointing out the latest research. IMO it is more of a chicken vs the egg thing.
I have been working with people and their bowels for a very long time. I am not sure about the research either, but if you start to use a certain amount of the Senna, it is not going to be easy to stop and it is probable you needed it.
The main thing is you keep yourself going at all costs. We all agree on that.
I am completing my certification as a WOCN (wound ostomy continence nurse) but haven't had the "good stuff" as in actually working in the field. My experience is in hospice and LTC where we give TONS of opiods.
Let's just make sure you take just enough to go and keep going. I am a fan of the natural stuff myself. Worked wonders in long term care. We gave it with their pills in the morning and barely had to give any laxatives. It isn't hard to make either.

I've found Miralax ( or MoM ) to be kind. If I feel it necessary, I'll throw in a Peri-Colace. All is well with my " gut function" . All it took for me to be ON TOP of it was a heavy persistent lower back ache - yes, that was me - that landed me in the ER...with x-rays to show that yes indeed , my back pain was from serious backup . It was embarrassing, but I left that hospital with total mad respect for the Gut & Bowel Awareness! Yes, Bowel Awareness, just as OP said ... " I don't prefer to discuss...", yet it's a topic that should not be avoided as it certainly can turn into a dire shituation ;)

BAKING. SODA. For one, it potenates opiates and it's also a laxitive if used in large quantities. Can also be used for heartburn. I use it every day twice daily when I take my opiates and it potenates and I am never constipated.

LOL, Eat a value meal from mcd's. Or better yet T-bell. You'll have to "go" before you even get back home!

Linzess is a great prescription for constipation. Especially if your on maintenance. I use that and miralax everyday. I tend to shit at least once every 48 hours which is a huge improvement for me.nif things get backed up I use a enema.

this is huge for me, I couldn't stand it today, cuz this month my doc changed me over to subutex from suboxone, and for some reason the constipation is sooo much worse. today being like day 6 without shitting, I felt it in my lower colon, but it would not come out! I took one Colase, that's the trade name, the chemical I believe is docusate. and I found these very cheap glycerin suppositories that worked rather well. being a straight male, iv never had anything up "there" lol but I had to get that hard as rock fecal matter out!. you know how when u take a huge opiate dump n it looks like pieces juss stuck together? well the supp. basically breaks em up by pulling water into ur colon, bout an hour or 2 later, n 3 times on the toilet, I think I got it all out! lol ... try that fellow BL'ers

Hey, OP, DopeIsKing... How are things " going " for you??? I certainly hope you found relief by now.

To answer your question: I don't deal with it.

I wait for that off moment in between re-upping when I haven't dosed for around 8-12 hours and pray that I can take a painfull ass shit.

LOL, Eat a value meal from mcd's. Or better yet T-bell. You'll have to "go" before you even get back home!

Lol that always plugged me up even without the opiates I don't know if Mick dicks is such a good idea. Maybe T-Bell but I've never been there before.

Slip on surgical glove and pull hardened stuff out. Soft stuff will then come out on its own. Hands-on is best.

I've found Miralax ( or MoM ) to be kind. If I feel it necessary, I'll throw in a Peri-Colace. All is well with my " gut function" . All it took for me to be ON TOP of it was a heavy persistent lower back ache - yes, that was me - that landed me in the ER...with x-rays to show that yes indeed , my back pain was from serious backup . It was embarrassing, but I left that hospital with total mad respect for the Gut & Bowel Awareness! Yes, Bowel Awareness, just as OP said ... " I don't prefer to discuss...", yet it's a topic that should not be avoided as it certainly can turn into a dire shituation ;)

I was in a very similar situation a few years back. Was so constipated I could barely walk normal. On second day was becoming unbearable so resign myself to check in at nearest ER in the middle of the night. Doc argued with me saying it sounded more to him like herniated disc or other back pain factor but to make sure x-ray was required, and I should stay overnight because x-ray room was short-staffed at that hour. Got stripped, put on hospital gown and off to bed and wired to machines. Sorta dozed off for an hour waiting for x-ray people to thaw. Finally a nurse appears and injects something in my IV drip. Thinking it's constipation med I say nothing but within a few seconds a weak but telltale sensation invades my body. I ring nurse and asked what she just injected me with. "morphine 5mg you can have it every 3 hours" she replies. WTF?! morphine for a constipation case of biblical proportion? I started to laugh uncontrollably, what else could I do.

You say you take oxy well its short acting so waiting to dose an extra few hours in the morning may be all you need but if not then miralax (polyethylene glycol 3350 powder for oral solution) is your best bet i know some people have already mentioned it but its a good one it works by making your Stools wet and soft instead of stimulation of the intestinal tract like habit forming laxatives do. This can be taken daily but try taking it every other day at first to avoid any diereah or sitting on the toilet all day. You should also incorporate more exercise and eating lots of veggies and fruit with each meal avoiding fatty foods. Drink at least a gallon of water a day and stay away from fibre supplements such as metamucil as this can make opiate induced constipation much much worse due to the fact you'll have to push out a couple huge turds the size of a baby's head instead of a bunch of small turds.
Metamucil actually contributed to the one time I had a bowel impaction I was taking a bunch of metamucil hoping it would help cause I heard fibre makes you poop but I really just screwed myself over by doing that.

Keep laxatives like senna and bisacodyl on hand along with ememas for those times you've eaten too much crap and the miralax is not enough but if taking the miralax alone I really recommend still holding off a couple hours to dose your oxy each morning cause it can make a world of difference I understand wanting to get well as soon as your awake I'm the same way but now I do the same thing instead of dosing right at 6am before work I wait till 9am after I've pooped its worth the wait I tell you cause constipation sucks big time. I had a bowel impaction once and believe me it wasn't fun I never Pooped for weeks then needed surgery so don't let it come to that you can die from playing around with this it is serious business I tell you.

Dude, love your posts, but try to work in a period every once in a while. Without them your posts are difficult to follow.

eat plenty of fruit and fiber like has been said.... and if you develop into a daily user, then this is no longer a problem. I use h heavily and usually shit daily. every so often if i dose morfe than usual or go on methadone ill be stopped up. heAVY FIBER N MUCH LIQUIDS and pooin freely again.... great screen name idea if anyone needs - "Pooing_Freely"