• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! How do psychedelics differ from each other?

The closest I ever tried to a psychedelic was weed and I never really liked that stuff. Made me overly self-critical to the point of self-loathing...and the thought loops were awful too. When I used to smoke the occasional joint I sometimes ended up being stuck with these very vivid, gory visions and it always ruined everything. I remember how at one point it became so bad that I had to drop a couple Valium to calm myself down. That's why I stopped doing weed a long time ago. It's very unpredictable and sometimes sent me to very dark mindscapes. Weed feels a bit like a fever dream to me.

I'm obviously not a psychonaut, but after reading some DMT experience reports I became interested in maybe trying a low dose to test the waters. I'm normally a downer type of person, but recently I became interested in exploring my spiritual side and the idea of visiting other worlds appears very fascinating to me. The problem is that I, as a psychedelic greenhorn, can't really tell the difference in all the various psychedelic drugs, in terms of effects that it has on people. How is a DMT trip different than, say a Salvia trip? Or LSD, mushrooms, ayahuasca, 2cb and so on? Is it possible to intentionally contact higher beings with these substances? Ask them questions? I always wanted to experience the neoplatonic cosmic hierarchy of being and maybe even encounter the Demiurge himself.

Another thing that got me interested in trying is that many people who don't know each other, live in totally different cultures, with completely different mentalities and personalities, somehow end up experiencing very similar or even the same things. This to me would disprove that psychedelics are "hallucinogenics", because if two or more people can perceive the same thing, how can it be a hallucination? There must be some objective truth to the experience. Of course this doesn't mean that actual hallucinations and delusions cannot arise, but shared experiences indicate something that could be real.

Anyway, I'd be thankful if experienced psychonauts could help me weed through (no pun intended) this forest of psychedelics.
If I were you I’d dip your toes in with mushrooms first, DMT is a very intense experience that you need to build yourself up for the thing about mushrooms is if you take a very low dose like 0.5 of a gram it has anti anxiety effects and kind of feels like you took a low dose of marijuana without paranoia, you probably won’t get much visuals or hallucinations at all but you’ll be able to think more clearly get a nice body feeling and kind of get a feel for psychedelics, you might even get slight euphoria too.

low dose shrooms is really, really benign, highly recommendable
Worst I have had of that is some deepened emotions when I have been on verge of my life falling apart, but nothing is overwhelming
High dose can be intense panic, both my rough trips were on shrooms. High dose shrooms is pretty much losing control in way I have never experienced like with any other drug, including DXM, ketamine, LSD, 5-meo-mipt, low-dose DMT or cannabis.
That being said, I have gut feeling you would also like analytical, controlled chilling with stimulated comeup of 80-100 mcg of LSD. Just for all the posts I have read from you. I don't know, maybe these things can be predicted, maybe not.

I kind of feel like cannabis is training wheels for psychedelics. I would caution anyone who reacts badly to herb not to try psychedelics.

My ex wife got psychotic once on herb. She never tried psychedelics.

I kind of feel like cannabis is training wheels for psychedelics. I would caution anyone who reacts badly to herb not to try psychedelics.

Funnily enough, I despise cannabis and love psychedelics. I've tripped countless times, but approach an offered puff of cannabis the way I would an offer to pet a pit viper.

^^
This…

Please understand OP, I am in full support of people choosing what to do with their bodies, but I just really do not think that you will like mushrooms based on your reaction to weed.

Yes, some people do get anti-anxiety effects at low dose, but many people get anxiety as well. I experience anxiety even on micro doses. But everyone is different.

You are talking about getting trapped in bad thought loops on marijuana and having a very difficult experience. Psilocybin is much more intense than marijuana, and I really like it but NOT because it makes me feel good while I’m tripping. I like it because it is a difficult experience for me that pushes my ego out of the way to allow me to see things my ego protects me from and can analyze and integrate the changes in my life that I want to make. Trust me that feeling your ego dissolve is so uncomfortable for most people that it is often referred to as ego death and compare it with feeling like they were dying, but your ego is still there just greatly reduced because psilocybin is thought to reduce activity in the default mode network part of our brains.

Few people enjoy the feeling of ego dissolution, but many enjoy the experience after going thru it and coming out the other side. I have not had a complete ego death before, but I have experienced intense ego dissolution before and it was very difficult. If you ever do experience it, my suggestion is just to try not to control the situation and let go. You will be back with your ego intact and will be okay.

It’s just sometimes difficult to remember that during the experience.

If you do try psilocybin please do start low and get a feel for it as they suggested earlier but also I would be a little careful if you have bipolar disorder or schizophrenia in your family. Even more so based on the fact that you hallucinate off weed. Then again, my wife had a great time on psilocybin and her father had severe bipolar disorder with psychosis. But she is also 43, so if she was going to develop schizophrenia or bipolar disorder that it would have likely happened by now. There is such a thing as latent bipolar disorder though so she is not completely in the clear. She did have fun though but on a 600mg dose. It’s ultimately your choice and I am not trying to scare you from trying it. I just want you to really understand what your getting into and what risks are involved and go from there.

Remember start low if you do try it.

The closest I ever tried to a psychedelic was weed and I never really liked that stuff. Made me overly self-critical to the point of self-loathing...and the thought loops were awful too. When I used to smoke the occasional joint I sometimes ended up being stuck with these very vivid, gory visions and it always ruined everything. I remember how at one point it became so bad that I had to drop a couple Valium to calm myself down. That's why I stopped doing weed a long time ago. It's very unpredictable and sometimes sent me to very dark mindscapes. Weed feels a bit like a fever dream to me.

I'm obviously not a psychonaut, but after reading some DMT experience reports I became interested in maybe trying a low dose to test the waters. I'm normally a downer type of person, but recently I became interested in exploring my spiritual side and the idea of visiting other worlds appears very fascinating to me. The problem is that I, as a psychedelic greenhorn, can't really tell the difference in all the various psychedelic drugs, in terms of effects that it has on people. How is a DMT trip different than, say a Salvia trip? Or LSD, mushrooms, ayahuasca, 2cb and so on? Is it possible to intentionally contact higher beings with these substances? Ask them questions? I always wanted to experience the neoplatonic cosmic hierarchy of being and maybe even encounter the Demiurge himself.

Another thing that got me interested in trying is that many people who don't know each other, live in totally different cultures, with completely different mentalities and personalities, somehow end up experiencing very similar or even the same things. This to me would disprove that psychedelics are "hallucinogenics", because if two or more people can perceive the same thing, how can it be a hallucination? There must be some objective truth to the experience. Of course this doesn't mean that actual hallucinations and delusions cannot arise, but shared experiences indicate something that could be real.

Anyway, I'd be thankful if experienced psychonauts could help me weed through (no pun intended) this forest of psychedelics.
DMT effects receptors that are classic psychedelic (5HT2a), but also 5HT1a (or is it 1d - I'm currently baked 24hrs a day, atm, in an effort to get my phantom limb pain to fucking behave itself), but it's the same receptor that buspirone, the anti anxiety drug does. So, despite it taking you up like a Saturn 5 rocket, it is rarely tinged with fear. Get a big enough dose though (50mg), and when you start returning to earth, you'll be wide eyed & legless for some time afterwards (I've read a breakthrough dose is like barging into the presence of god. Pretty much guaranteed you'll be gobsmacked.
Salvia is a kappa opiate receptor, which while expanding, can be shit scary terrifying, as with bigger doses, you can forget you have taken a drug.
There are also dissociative psychedelics like ketamine. Not as head fuck laden as Salvia, but being a disembodied conscious can be a bit hard for some to assimilate.

Also, you've got to remember within the serotonogic group (DMT, LSD, psilocybin, mescaline etc.) there is a large variation between the subjective experience. The same thing occurs with the dissociative class.
Thing is, none are much like cannabis. I always found it a bit more anxiety ridden, when younger.

I could write a book on the nature of the variety of thedissociative state (people say I should, but they massively underest my laziness!), just as Shugin did with serotonogic psychedelics.

If you want, send mea PM and I'll describe the effects of different classical members of each group. A brief synopsis, because, as I said, I'm an inherently lazy twat 😁

Funnily enough, I despise cannabis and love psychedelics. I've tripped countless times, but approach an offered puff of cannabis the way I would an offer to pet a pit viper.
Same tbh I like psychedelics way more then cannabis.

Yeah my first trip was shrooms. Each trip I worked my way up with doses. First trip was 1 gram(and hella intense as it being my 1st time it compared to tripping on an eighth,3.5 grams) and then 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 & then 8.0. After these I started just tripping 3.5 grams or 2 grams, and if I wanted low dose trip. Then I would set myself up for more heroic doses, low dose trips, and then mixing LSD and shrooms(after having a few lsd trips on their own.

Actually when I first dipped into tripping it was dissociatives, DXM (robitussin cough). Completely different type of trip but it was great to experience and actually prepared me for mushrooms.

Yes, this can be wise if your “Set & Setting” are a little iffy

A rapid acting, potent anxiolytic is a must. Diazepam (Valium) 10mg tablets are the gold standard…..crush up 2 in your mouth and swallow with half a bottle of water

Diazepam (Valium) 20-30mg (rapid onset and potent AF, muscle relaxation, mental & physical anxiety vanished)
Clonazepam (Klonopin) 2 hour peak / powerful anticonvulsant & sedative
Clonidine 0.1mg tablet (rapid 30min onset) lowers BP & HR, potent anxiolytic & sedative
Pregabalin (Lyrica) 300mg (1 hour onset on empty stomach)
Phenibut 1-2 grams (has a 3 hour onset) …..ideal to take with LSD / Psilocybin so they peak around same time

“Set & Setting” is ABSOLUTELY Paramount…..don’t take these powerful mind altering substances without doing your homework first. If you’re a newbie, try half a tab of LSD or a small dose of Psilocybin 500-700mg (less than a gram)

If your mind isn’t right……stay awaayyyyyyy. Even potent cannabis can induce anxiety or a mild panic attack

NOTE: Obtaining legally prescribed benzodiazepines isn’t totally unobtainable. If you discuss with your doctor you have serious panic attacks from time to time, and you don’t need a large prescription or any repeats….just 5 or 10 tablets would last you an entire year, the doc will be more likely to script you 5 tablets of Valium 10mg for “emergency situations” and a few tablets of Clonidine 0.1mg. Phenibut can be ordered online legally

Save them for a rainy day when you really need to take one or two….

Hold the phone.. Clonidine is a great anxiolytic???? It's not a benzo. I have heard this being great for opi WD but if it really is potent like you described?,I need to get my hands on a script. Could very well save me from my current predicaments.

Back on topic yeah keep a xanax on hand just in case you can't handle your shit during/after peak...if you are worried about LOOPS of crazy paranoid thoughts, guess what buddy? shrooms and mostly all psychs will be putting your ass on loop over and over( this would be the difficult part of a trip and what I believe most naive people call a "bad trip" but in the end it's completely worth it. Every trip I've ever had always had a bit and sometimes a whole lot of difficulty but once you get passed this, then you realize and get smacked with an epiphany of love and new found understanding of yourself, people in your life, nature, and the universe.

Yeah my first trip was shrooms. Each trip I worked my way up with doses. First trip was 1 gram(and hella intense as it being my 1st time it compared to tripping on an eighth,3.5 grams) and then 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 & then 8.0. After these I started just tripping 3.5 grams or 2 grams, and if I wanted low dose trip. Then I would set myself up for more heroic doses, low dose trips, and then mixing LSD and shrooms(after having a few lsd trips on their own.

Actually when I first dipped into tripping it was dissociatives, DXM (robitussin cough). Completely different type of trip but it was great to experience and actually prepared me for mushrooms.

Hold the phone.. Clonidine is a great anxiolytic???? It's not a benzo. I have heard this being great for opi WD but if it really is potent like you described?,I need to get my hands on a script. Could very well save me from my current predicaments.

Back on topic yeah keep a xanax on hand just in case you can't handle your shit during/after peak...if you are worried about LOOPS of crazy paranoid thoughts, guess what buddy? shrooms and mostly all psychs will be putting your ass on loop over and over( this would be the difficult part of a trip and what I believe most naive people call a "bad trip" but in the end it's completely worth it. Every trip I've ever had always had a bit and sometimes a whole lot of difficulty but once you get passed this, then you realize and get smacked with an epiphany of love and new found understanding of yourself, people in your life, nature, and the universe.
100% challenging trips are good for you, you may think of things you don’t want to think about but after it’s over you come up with unique solutions to work harder on your goals and stop bad habits and overall improve your life.

DMT effects receptors that are classic psychedelic (5HT2a), but also 5HT1a (or is it 1d - I'm currently baked 24hrs a day, atm, in an effort to get my phantom limb pain to fucking behave itself), but it's the same receptor that buspirone, the anti anxiety drug does. So, despite it taking you up like a Saturn 5 rocket, it is rarely tinged with fear. Get a big enough dose though (50mg), and when you start returning to earth, you'll be wide eyed & legless for some time afterwards (I've read a breakthrough dose is like barging into the presence of god. Pretty much guaranteed you'll be gobsmacked.
Salvia is a kappa opiate receptor, which while expanding, can be shit scary terrifying, as with bigger doses, you can forget you have taken a drug.
There are also dissociative psychedelics like ketamine. Not as head fuck laden as Salvia, but being a disembodied conscious can be a bit hard for some to assimilate.

Also, you've got to remember within the serotonogic group (DMT, LSD, psilocybin, mescaline etc.) there is a large variation between the subjective experience. The same thing occurs with the dissociative class.
Thing is, none are much like cannabis. I always found it a bit more anxiety ridden, when younger.

I could write a book on the nature of the variety of thedissociative state (people say I should, but they massively underest my laziness!), just as Shugin did with serotonogic psychedelics.

If you want, send mea PM and I'll describe the effects of different classical members of each group. A brief synopsis, because, as I said, I'm an inherently lazy twat 😁

You are correct it’s 5-ht1a. That’s what gives DMT that love feeling. There’s also downstream oxytocin release. Idk if you’ve ever smoked DMT in a group but there’s definitely a bonding aspect to the experience.

-GC

Yes, this can be wise if your “Set & Setting” are a little iffy

A rapid acting, potent anxiolytic is a must. Diazepam (Valium) 10mg tablets are the gold standard…..crush up 2 in your mouth and swallow with half a bottle of water

Diazepam (Valium) 20-30mg (rapid onset and potent AF, muscle relaxation, mental & physical anxiety vanished)
Clonazepam (Klonopin) 2 hour peak / powerful anticonvulsant & sedative
Clonidine 0.1mg tablet (rapid 30min onset) lowers BP & HR, potent anxiolytic & sedative
Pregabalin (Lyrica) 300mg (1 hour onset on empty stomach)
Phenibut 1-2 grams (has a 3 hour onset) …..ideal to take with LSD / Psilocybin so they peak around same time

“Set & Setting” is ABSOLUTELY Paramount…..don’t take these powerful mind altering substances without doing your homework first. If you’re a newbie, try half a tab of LSD or a small dose of Psilocybin 500-700mg (less than a gram)

If your mind isn’t right……stay awaayyyyyyy. Even potent cannabis can induce anxiety or a mild panic attack

NOTE: Obtaining legally prescribed benzodiazepines isn’t totally unobtainable. If you discuss with your doctor you have serious panic attacks from time to time, and you don’t need a large prescription or any repeats….just 5 or 10 tablets would last you an entire year, the doc will be more likely to script you 5 tablets of Valium 10mg for “emergency situations” and a few tablets of Clonidine 0.1mg. Phenibut can be ordered online legally

Save them for a rainy day when you really need to take one or two….

Back on topic yeah keep a xanax on hand just in case you can't handle your shit during/after peak...if you are worried about LOOPS of crazy paranoid thoughts, guess what buddy shrooms

Clonidine works against panic attacks and general anxiety but it is unfortunately a strong sedative (its method is to fool the brain into believing norepinephrine levels were way higher than they are) and made me depressed when taking it daily @ 75-150mcg.

You are correct it’s 5-ht1a. That’s what gives DMT that love feeling. There’s also downstream oxytocin release. Idk if you’ve ever smoked DMT in a group but there’s definitely a bonding aspect to the experience.

-GC
Well, when your eyes start working again, and you can see through the psychedelic patterning, it is a totally life enhancing experience

Back on topic yeah keep a xanax on hand just in case you can't handle your shit during/after peak...if you are worried about LOOPS of crazy paranoid thoughts, guess what buddy shrooms

Clonidine 0.1mg tablets are AMAZING anxiolytic medicine…….simply amazing.

If I gave someone who never took any meds and didn’t know sh!t, one single Clonidine tablet would melt their anxiety in 30min flat, and I’d tell them it was Valium…..and they’d be praising Valium as a wonder drug

Just half a 0.1mg scored tablet is enough to prepare me for bed after blasting lines (Cocaine & Ketamine 50/50)

Clonidine 0.1mg can honestly give any benzo a run for it’s money (if the individual isn’t a benzo nut with a super hi tolerance or going through withdrawal)

Clonidine lowers BP & HR …….specifically dramatically reducing Norepinephrine from the CNS, calming you down to below baseline …..Sooooooo calm & relaxed. All tension (mental & physical) just melt away like a snowball in tropical Sun …..rapid acting 30min full onset

Only downside…..when I first used for opioid withdrawal (taking it several times daily for 1.5 weeks) you MUST gradually reduce your dose slowly day by day, due to rebound hypertension. You could literally faint if sitting and standing up too quickly ……I literally saw stars and felt dizzy / disoriented.

If you use Clonidine 0.1mg scored tablets (even half a tab is effective for me 240lbs / 6’) only as needed……few times a week or less, you will never experience rebound hypertension. Only daily usage for weeks+ is a serious concern. Seek medical advice or talk to doc when being prescribed

It isn’t a controlled substance and you should be able to get a script easily

Tell them you have used before many years ago as an alternative to Lorazepam that the doc wanted to give you, as you don’t want anything habit forming or addictive (bonus points lol). You found using Clonidine “off label” VERY effective and you’d like 10-20 tablets (or whatever) but you don’t need a lot as you only use as needed when your anxiety is very high. It’s a safe and effective medication for you and you’d like a small script.

You’d be very impressed with the anxiolytic properties of Clonidine 0.1mg tablets …..even a half tablet would be moderately effective.

Dextro thank you so much bro. I've been looking for something to take besides xanax and kpins. Seriously thank you. Inonly have one pill I'll have to check what dosage it is but once again thank you for your input. It's a relief to finally find some legit relief in the form similar to a benzo.
I'm fuvking excited

I think I need to clarify something: I didn't mean to say that I hallucinate on weed when I mentioned getting uncomfortable "visions". What I was trying to say is that weed intensifies my visualization and sometimes my mind ends up visualizing really nasty and depraved things. It makes me feel as if I'm trapped in my head, a fever-like waking dream. I think I will postpone my psychedelic experiments when I'm ready but not now. I noticed that I started reacting badly to weed when I started using opioids. That's what I love about opioids. They are predictable. Weed can start off good with me laughing my ass off about all kinds of things and then suddenly I'm brooding and anxious. And for some strange reason I get terrible OCD on weed. Double and triple checking comments that I write before posting them. Have I written this correctly? Does it sound strange? I become very unsure of myself and constantly overanalyze my behaviour. I don't get how people can relax on this drug.

Last edited:
Dmt for me is typical trytamine fractals no spirits no aliens just infinity fractals in another space. The k hole is way more deeper and insane a dmt breakthrough.

I would rate the dmt breakthrough breakthrough about the same as taking 5 tabs of good lsd but it lasts a few minutes.

Breaking through on LSD by taking 6-10 tabs and k holing while eating edibles will take you to realms beyond anything possible on DMT. Dmt Is overhyped as fuck best mixed with lsd to actually make it worth doing imo.

5 meo dmt is pure unity and white light. Dmt is a circus show of crazy visuals with a mushroom body high. Dmt is one of the most clear headed psychedelics out there.

I'd much prefer taking 7 tabs of lsd to see God than breakthrough on dmt.

The most peak experince I ever had out of 200 trips was only one 2.5 tabs of lsd the albert Hoffman dose were I just disappeared and merged with God and saw the beauty of infinite reality.

My first acid trip I took even more lsd than your owsely hits in the 60s. That is still my most mind blowing experince.

Though ketamine would beat most my psych trips. The k hole is fucking pure madness and terrifying. I have consumed around a ounce of ketamine for my lifetime usage. That was alot of k holes. I won't do it again after my last k hole where I had demons rip my soul apart while my concxciouness traveled through a void and I came face to face with the devil and transported back in time to all my lsd trips and was crushed by the hand of of god and saw my own judgment at the time of death. I also contacted aliens like John c Lilly did on ketamine and at one point felt like the galactic force he described had possessed me and I was speaking in tounges when I got out of the k hole.

Dissos are fucking wild and millions of times stronger than dmt and other psychedelics.

I think I'll try out low-dose shrooms first and see if I can mentally even handle psychedelics.
You as a self confessed speed freak should love micro lsd dosages. Then slowly build up the dosage double/triple etc..then fully trip.

Fully tripping on lsd you need a break through dosage after x amounts of tripping

Lovely shit once you can handle it which i couldn't years ago

Literally life saver here for me, i can't live without them.

Written while doing my weekly trip 450ug

Last edited:
Just what I hope are helpful comments:

If you can, get some AL-LAD, rather than LSD, as it is way more forgiving at low doses (200ug of AL-LAD has intense moments, but it never felt out of control. 200ug of LSD, on the other hand would cause a severe anxiety, however brief, of "fuck, I've taken too much". I'd rate it as an introduction to psychedelic drugs better than 2C-B) and first time, have 100ug. You'll know from that point if psychedelics are for you, but without the risk of scaring the shit out of yourself and giving yourself psychological problems. And treat the real fuck off strong psychedelics eg LSD, DPT, DOM etc with the utter respect they deserve.