• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! How do psychedelics differ from each other?

Hexenstahl

Bluelighter
The closest I ever tried to a psychedelic was weed and I never really liked that stuff. Made me overly self-critical to the point of self-loathing...and the thought loops were awful too. When I used to smoke the occasional joint I sometimes ended up being stuck with these very vivid, gory visions and it always ruined everything. I remember how at one point it became so bad that I had to drop a couple Valium to calm myself down. That's why I stopped doing weed a long time ago. It's very unpredictable and sometimes sent me to very dark mindscapes. Weed feels a bit like a fever dream to me.

I'm obviously not a psychonaut, but after reading some DMT experience reports I became interested in maybe trying a low dose to test the waters. I'm normally a downer type of person, but recently I became interested in exploring my spiritual side and the idea of visiting other worlds appears very fascinating to me. The problem is that I, as a psychedelic greenhorn, can't really tell the difference in all the various psychedelic drugs, in terms of effects that it has on people. How is a DMT trip different than, say a Salvia trip? Or LSD, mushrooms, ayahuasca, 2cb and so on? Is it possible to intentionally contact higher beings with these substances? Ask them questions? I always wanted to experience the neoplatonic cosmic hierarchy of being and maybe even encounter the Demiurge himself.

Another thing that got me interested in trying is that many people who don't know each other, live in totally different cultures, with completely different mentalities and personalities, somehow end up experiencing very similar or even the same things. This to me would disprove that psychedelics are "hallucinogenics", because if two or more people can perceive the same thing, how can it be a hallucination? There must be some objective truth to the experience. Of course this doesn't mean that actual hallucinations and delusions cannot arise, but shared experiences indicate something that could be real.

Anyway, I'd be thankful if experienced psychonauts could help me weed through (no pun intended) this forest of psychedelics.

It’s hard to explain the differences in a quick summary. DMT and Salvia are both intense short duration psychedelics but one is based on the 5-ht2a receptor and the other a kappa opioid agonist. DMT is like love/truth/all sorts of crazy whereas salvia is pure fear for me, like falling into a black hole.

I’d say mushrooms or LSD is a good place to start with psychedelics. They are reliable and easy to dose. Mushrooms can be a bit rough for some people but I feel that’s a positive and a negative attribute for them. Positive in that, if you can handle them usually you’ll fair well with other psychedelics.

LSD is more stimulating, like an amplifier of your emotions and thoughts. Mushrooms is a bit more of a spiritual guided trip, but usually one shown in a negative light. Like for instance a trip highlighting mankind’s destruction of the natural world in an effort to make us actually care enough to change. For me LSD is far more social and recreational, mushrooms are for at home.

Mescaline is the other worthy classic psychedelic. A bit harder to dial in but once you do it’s golden. Like natures MDA kinda.. I always look at MDMA, MDA and Mescaline as a spectrum. They all do the same thing of loving thy self but get progressively trippier with obviously Mescaline being the trippiest.

Growing cactus to obtain some is easy and rewarding.

-GC

Yeah, really hard to explain without having tried at least one, as a reference point. Weed isn't that great of a comparison.

Mushrooms are ground level, "Lord of the Rings". You feel your psychological tree roots and connection to the earth. You feel closer to your emotions and memories, and you can really feel a connection to them and nature around you. Visuals are earthy, organic, fluid. Music takes on new depth. Introverted, you look inwards.

LSD is mid level, "Star Wars". You feel uplifted, energized as if you were standing on a very tall antenna and look out upon the world to see it's true form. This antenna lets you receive esoteric knowledge and mathematical secrets of the universe. The world looks different from this perspective, and you marvel in it's visual beauty. Visuals are complex, fractal, colorful. More euphoric and extroverted, you look outwards.

DMT is the top level, you leave this earthly dimension and everything you've ever known. Everything becomes utterly alien. You encounter the spirit world, aliens, and experience things you couldn't even comprehend or imagine. Your senses are obliterated as every strand of DNA in your body unwinds and blows in the wind. Visuals are rapid, chaotic, kaleidoscopic. Not really a "recreational" experience, it's neither introverted nor extroverted because you don't really have time to think about anything other than the experience itself.

LSD reigns supreme (standard 100ug tab) absolutely beautiful molecule

Psilocybin mushrooms are also fine, but your tummy turns as the poison is being metabolized by your liver and entering your blood stream…..lasts shorter 6 hours average dose 2 grams or so

LSD 100ug takes 1.5 to 2 hours for full onset and can last 8-10 hours, 200-250ug is a robust dose and only suitable outside, summer at a friends cottage, water front, music, beautiful sun, bbq, amazing dinner, close friends around…..swimming is a MUST in the beautiful warm sun caressing your entire body with pleasurable warmth

LSD is more energetic as it releases Dopamine which Psilocybin mushrooms does not

It’s a beautiful experience at a private waterfront cottage, canoeing, snorkeling in the crystal clear water illuminated by the blazing + 30 Sun, no clouds, clear blue sky, cool fresh lake, cottage with all creature comforts, shower, bathrooms, bed, couch, tv, music, massive fire pit on patio with chairs by bbq area

In Canada…..we can easily access professional grade LSD sheets, Ketamine, DMT, Psilocybin, Cannabis online legal country wide, MDMA purity questionable.

Last edited:
i'd say salvia is easiest and safest way to get the strongest effect, like you get to the highest level of tripping. it's just one experience that lasts a couple of minutes and then wears off. the come down feels like a shitty body load, but i'd say it's worth it for the trip experience.

the thing with lsd or probably any longer lasting psychedelic, usually if you dose low, you aren't going to end up in full blown dream psychedelic state like salvia. you'll just get some visuals that go along with reality. it's not like everything disappeared and turnt into something new... i've had that happen on lsd on higher doses though. i kept getting sucked down tubes like salvia and end up in a full blown dreams. i have no idea how long these little trips or dreams last. but it was like back and forth for a long while, dreaming unaware of reality and then back to reality. completely dellusional too when i'd come into reality... if you want to get used to that feeling, i'd say salvia is a good tool cause it only lasts a few minutes (it can certainly feel like longer though) and it's just one time going into your head instead of repeating back and forth like my lsd trip.

i've never had that happen with mushrooms, but the most i had was like five and half grams. i was lying in bed meditating and the next thing you know i'm walking around a cave like fragile rock, but as soon as i started moving my legs to walk, i realized i was in bed... so i think mushrooms at high doses can cause ego loss or whatever.... actually a friend of mine passed out from shrooms one time. i saw him standing and the next thing you know he just fell over. i started checking his pulse and the next thing you know he starts screaming. he was like that passed out and then screaming back to passed out for like an hour or two. it was fucking crazy. i thought i was going to go to jail for covering his mouth from screaming... anyways, my friend had a habbit of drinking on hand fulls of risperdal, so i don't really blame the shrooms. he wasn't on them at the time, but it was something he was doing a few days before and was doing frequently for a few months. my friend remembered his time being passed out and said he was on a glass elevator watching moments from his life pass through his eyes. i'm pretty sure he was glad that i held him down and didn't take him to the hospital. lol

Weed, I don’t usually compare with or categorize as “psychedelics.” I’m someone who gets too anxious or paranoid from weed(THC) but not say LSD.
Another nice thing about LSD for example is what is known as the afterglow.

Having your choice of sedative ready significantly reduces risk of panic to the point you won't probably need to take it

Yes, this can be wise if your “Set & Setting” are a little iffy

A rapid acting, potent anxiolytic is a must. Diazepam (Valium) 10mg tablets are the gold standard…..crush up 2 in your mouth and swallow with half a bottle of water

Diazepam (Valium) 20-30mg (rapid onset and potent AF, muscle relaxation, mental & physical anxiety vanished)
Clonazepam (Klonopin) 2 hour peak / powerful anticonvulsant & sedative
Clonidine 0.1mg tablet (rapid 30min onset) lowers BP & HR, potent anxiolytic & sedative
Pregabalin (Lyrica) 300mg (1 hour onset on empty stomach)
Phenibut 1-2 grams (has a 3 hour onset) …..ideal to take with LSD / Psilocybin so they peak around same time

“Set & Setting” is ABSOLUTELY Paramount…..don’t take these powerful mind altering substances without doing your homework first. If you’re a newbie, try half a tab of LSD or a small dose of Psilocybin 500-700mg (less than a gram)

If your mind isn’t right……stay awaayyyyyyy. Even potent cannabis can induce anxiety or a mild panic attack

NOTE: Obtaining legally prescribed benzodiazepines isn’t totally unobtainable. If you discuss with your doctor you have serious panic attacks from time to time, and you don’t need a large prescription or any repeats….just 5 or 10 tablets would last you an entire year, the doc will be more likely to script you 5 tablets of Valium 10mg for “emergency situations” and a few tablets of Clonidine 0.1mg. Phenibut can be ordered online legally

Save them for a rainy day when you really need to take one or two….

Don't panic and reach for the sedatives immediately if the trip becomes a little hairy or uncomfortable though...lots of otherwise awesome trips can have moments, even periods of say 20 minutes, where shit can get uncomfortable

Chances are you can ride this out. If I'd have aborted a trip 15 minutes into uncomfortable feelings I'd have missed out on some of the most glorious experiences

I have in fact never aborted a trip (although I would if need be for sure) . I have had some diazepam or Temazepam etc after say 14 hours into an lsd trip when it won;t let me sleep and am exhausted. Only once or twice mind, mainly as it seems to negate my afterglow a bit

What about deliriants like DPH? I read somewhere they are like waking dreams. The only thing that concerns me are all the people who report seeing spiders on it. I have a horrible arachnophobia...which is really unfortunate because these are some of the most fascinating animals.

What about deliriants like DPH? I read somewhere they are like waking dreams. The only thing that concerns me are all the people who report seeing spiders on it. I have a horrible arachnophobia...which is really unfortunate because these are some of the most fascinating animals.
honestly just don't fukkin touch 'em...can be waking nightmare as opposed to dreams, and yeah riddled with spiders that begin in the corner of the room and keep growing til you look away...and if you try to front it out you'll be screaming when you feel those loooong spidery legs alight on your face (personal experience...) not one single pleasant or worthwhile moment in the 30 hour trip, grim

also, someone I knew was killed in accident on similar (was 100% caused by the drug), so I'd advise swerving that kinda thing

Last edited:
DPH is not a psychedelic. Deleriant hallucinations are very realistic and often scary.

Isnt it strange how so many people see the hat man on DPH? It's also interesting that he appears to people in sleep paralysis. I wonder what that entity is, or what function he serves. He seems to be passive most of the time. Just observes people. Has nobody ever tried talking to him?

Weed is not a good representative of psychedelics.

All the classical, natural psychedelics (mushrooms, mescaline-containing cacti, morning glories, Salvia, Ayahuasca, etc. are all different paths up the same mountain! The mountain of opening yourself up for love.

Deleriants and salvia tend to be kind of dysphoric, or at least there isn't any awe to buffer the state you are in.

Ketamine might be a good fit for you if you like downers, it can be unpleasantly disorienting for some, but it tends to not produce a tonne of anxiety, and is relatively short lived. Down side is it is more addictive than serotonergic psychs, salvia, or deleriants, in a way that resembles downers. Also ketamine harms the bladder, so frequent use is asking for trouble.

A DMT vape cart could fit the bill as well, as those allow you to titrate your way from barely any perceptual distortions, to full blown out of body trips, with a very short duration.

Another thing that can help with tripping in general is having a few activities planned, so that you don't get caught trying to find something to do. Things that engage the body in a repetitive manner can really facilitate ritualistic trance states.

This to me would disprove that psychedelics are "hallucinogenics", because if two or more people can perceive the same thing, how can it be a hallucination? There must be some objective truth to the experience.
Music has proved that in a lot of ways. Shared perception. And then that drives it even further. But great observation, music made a lot of the psychedelic experience objective, at least to those that have tripped. To others it may sound like noise. So while shared by some not always everybody. But even a few shared visions sort of make it from subjective to objective. But then not really. I mean now you have me thinking, is it objective if a few people can see it but others can't? Or is that considered subjective? (all psychedelic questions lol)

Anyway one thing I like to tell people interested is have no worries on starting small. A surfer rides the small waves first. Because the ones that got their ass kicked in big waves without experience end up intimidated. I think the ocean analogy is perfect. Could be big and scary but a lot of people learned to be comfortable in it. Start small and work up to comfortability. Forget the term breakthrough. To me that has done more harm than good. For the same reasons, it is a subjective term. Not an objective term. All experiences are valid and valuable. Of course intensity varies.

Second is if you take mushrooms or another longer acting psychedelic pay attention to set and setting. Make the time yours. No phone. No interruptions and give yourself permission to experience. Sometimes when I do that, especially as I got older, I almost tear up and say this "This &%^* ing day is MY day!"

Good luck Hex. Your post was one of the more inquisitive ones on the subject and for sure we are here to help.

And for those scared of Salvia I will say in my Cab Calloway "you be wise and you get with the Salvia!" Salvia can be wonderful. Ease in.

Having your choice of sedative ready significantly reduces risk of panic to the point you won't probably need to take it
Yeah. I hear kratom can be a trip killer. And I don’t get nausea from kratom or shrooms. So I think I’m just going to have some Kratom tea sitting by the bed in case it gets to be too much but I don’t want to waste the experience either. Sigh, I guess it’s good to have just in case.

I do have hydroxizine but I think kratom would help more probably idk. What do you all think? Kratom or hydroxizine to help if a trip gets way too hairy and stays that way? I’m not wanting to mix anything with psilocybin but just want to be prepared. I have done mushrooms with mdma once and I had a great time, but it’s hard to feel anxious and not be positive on mdma. My first trip since then was about two weeks ago and I was super anxious and stayed anxious the entire trip. It was very uncomfortable but very rewarding. I healed significantly from what the mushrooms showed me and made positive changes in my life. My wife had a blast though. Laughing her ass off at random shut and stuff the way I remembered I felt when I mixed mdma and mushrooms all those years ago.

Also, do you think chamomile tea would help on the come up? Or no?

Last edited: