• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How do i purify pipe resin?

Acetone is more volatile than IPA, and also contains much less water. Hexane or naptha would probably be best to selectively extract the cannabinoids over some of the pyrolysis products.

I recall a hazy memory back in the day when I ran a GC analysis on the butt of a joint - mostly THC and CBD remaining but also a lot of very poorly volatile polymeric tar. And I have encountered some enterpeising people who were trying to sell what was obviously the acetone rinsings of a bong or pipe as premium grade hash oil. Unfortunately for them the oil was dark red and smelled exactly like pipe resin. It did get you high though.

If I were going to try to make the tar smokeable, I would make an effort to clean it up first. Some ideas include:
1. Take the dissolved THC and tars and filter it over chromatography silica - the silica will bind onto the less volatile gunk and the THC can be extracted with more solvent.
2. Treat the dissolved THC with decolorizing charcoal (add finely powdered carbon, stir and heat for 30min+, then filter).
3. Remove the acetone or other solvent and vaccum distill the residue. (labor intensive but would yield a very clean product)

If you do go through this exercise I would think twice before consuming any of the residue orally. Something just doesn't sit right with the idea of eating the combusted tar from a pipe.

Pipe resin is mostly butane residue from your lighter. If you want proof, hold a lighter flame up to a piece of glass and watch the black residue rapidly build up. Once I realized that I never took a resin hit ever again. Headache city...
I only ever use the oil that builds up on my vape and its just as strong as the the keif in my grinder if not better

If u only smoke straight buds then the resin from the bong stem or pipe is definitely worth salvaging THCwise.

I only ever use the oil that builds up on my vape and its just as strong as the the keif in my grinder if not better

I have a feeling you already know this, Nightraver, but for the lesser-informed: vape/dab reclaim is absolutely not the same thing as bong/pipe resin.

Reclaim is a fantastic way of getting high. It's essentially a low-grade dab. Resin is not. Resin is tar, the by-product of combustion. Resin will give you a buzz, but it's a nasty one that tends to devolve into a headache and, as weird as this sounds, feeling like your lungs are heavy/sluggish and being constricted.

To each their own, but whenever the topic's brought my way it feels like I have to speak up and say "No! Don't do that!"

I have a feeling you already know this, Nightraver, but for the lesser-informed: vape/dab reclaim is absolutely not the same thing as bong/pipe resin.

Reclaim is a fantastic way of getting high. It's essentially a low-grade dab. Resin is not. Resin is tar, the by-product of combustion. Resin will give you a buzz, but it's a nasty one that tends to devolve into a headache and, as weird as this sounds, feeling like your lungs are heavy/sluggish and being constricted.

To each their own, but whenever the topic's brought my way it feels like I have to speak up and say "No! Don't do that!"
If u been smoking tobacco with your buds then yeah it's gross and toxic and yuk.if u do the acetone extract u get rid of the soot (source of headaches and lung constrictedness) and the ash and salts(cause of overheating leading to decomposition and harshness) it can get u really fukd up nicely without the usual resin grossness

If u been smoking tobacco with your buds then yeah it's gross and toxic and yuk.if u do the acetone extract u get rid of the soot (source of headaches and lung constrictedness) and the ash and salts(cause of overheating leading to decomposition and harshness) it can get u really fukd up nicely without the usual resin grossness

But I don't chop or spin my weed. If people are choppin' with tobacco then they need to permanently table any thoughts of scrounging up their pipe resin.

Seriously, dude, just look at the stuff. There's no need to make an argument in it's favor (it's literally black and brown tar, you can't make it appealing), because it's fine that you enjoy it. I'm not trying to say that a person can't-- I'm just saying, have you ever seen a picture of a smoker's lung? When I look at resin, I can't help but picture all that black shit that builds up in the lungs, and smoking resin just seems like a shortcut to getting concentrated amounts of that shit into your lungs quickly and speeding up your progress towards any possible respiratory issues in the future.

It's just not a good look, dude, but I can't lie, I've done it before. Multiple times. There's a chance I'll do it some time again before I die, but my point is that it just isn't a healthy thing to do and the high is so... deviated from a typical weed high, that it's just not worth it, man.

Just my $0.02. I've never thought of using acetone before, though, so I can't speak to what that's like.... but my honest opinion is that it can't be much better, considering the source.

Salutations Ambercatgoddess,

...i hate to waste it.

Smoking is wasteful enough, actually even if vaporizing there's unwanted contaminants accumulation which smells/tastes like tar whenever an attempt is made to "reclaim" from ABV.

Can anyone help me, please?

M'yeah, but i serious doubt you'd want to listen.

In addition lets consider there are at least 2 ways to deal with pain management: #1) mute pain signals on the short term; #2) deal with pain origin to eventually silence associated signals on the long term...

I did look to see if there was anything remotely close to this question but didn't find an answer.

YMMV IMO. It might help if you could just learn to recognize self-vilification vectors, the smoking habit being a major contribution to decades of contaminated statistics data collected while future "spe¢iali$ts"/"expert$" on "ADDICITION" tried every vilification form at hand only to reach definitive conclusions based on a life-long failure. Nonetheless i'm an ex-smoker myself and certainly not a prohibitionist, too bad there's still so many people willing to learn the hard way as generations continue to pass. Even after you see the light there's no garanty it shall feel totally satisfying anyway, since the vaporist realm comes with quite a few mirages of its own - like to pretend it's "Micro-Dosing" when using concentrates, etc...

Good day, have fun!! ☮

Isn't it dangerous to smoke the sticky ashes of something you already smoked?

Worse: noble molecules get sacrificed similar to vulgar charcoal simply for the purpose of keeping a fire alive between 2 inhales, while even more of gets destroyed before the rest is irremediably mixed with some truly poisoneous cocktail, not to mention wood fiber + glue...

But hey, that's only the opinion of a member!

:rolleyes: