• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

how do i get the most out of a bud?

JSuarez1337

Greenlighter
i got some great bud, really sour smelling but pungent bud filled with crystals. im wondering how do i smoke my stash the most efficiently?? would a bowl be the worse decision because im burning it too much? 8(

Well there are a few key things to remember.

1. Do not handle your weed. Only hold it by the stem. Your body oil will pull off the delicate oil and actives.

2. Do not break bud down by hand. Invest in a good grinder or better yet use small scissors like a dollar store nose trimmer pair or a HQ trimming scissor. The less you rub against the surface the better. The good thing about a grinder is you could get one with a keif catcher.

3. Store your bud in glass jars.

Now as far as smoking it either roll a joint with some hq rolling paper. I prefer hemp based paper although zen, raw, and those types are supposed to be best for not producing too much taste. I prefer smoking with hemp wick out of a glass bubbler/water pipe with a glass screen. Make sure it is clean as any residue will ruin the taste.

i'd say pack bowls in bongs or pipes, corner hit the bowl and put out the cherry after you finish taking a rip. vaping is good too if you have a good rig. a bag set up seems to be pretty conservative ime.

i think joints and blunts tend to be a little on the wasteful side, even if you are a good roller and especially so if you are not a good roller. no matter what you always have a cherry burning.. and if it starts to run badly enough... good bye weed.

grinders are good too, but for me waiting until the night is the only way to really conserve weed.

Burning it is bad, but what else are you going to do? Maybe a high quality vaporiser would conserve it best, but I'm guessing you don't have one & they're pricey. Pipes & bongs are bad because the THC sticks to the sides of them, so joints & small clean glass pipes are best, high quality papers do make a difference for joints too (but pure hemp papers taste nasty, flax seems better). Although, if you just want to get as high as possible, rather than medical use, then taking it all in a few massive hits from a bong will do the job, no matter if some sticks to the sides, you can take bigger hits of cooled bong smoke & getting it all in you as fast as possible is the way to get the highest.

If you want to be really efficient then put that bud in an airtight glass jar & don't smoke anything for a week or two so you don't have any tolerance, then hit it.

After grinding your bud empty your grinder, then stick it in the freezer until chill and tap the grinder a few times and you get most of the kief out.

Do bong hits imo.

make BHO.
do dabs

you still lose material in the process

joints are somewhat wasteful, but I love 'em.
bongs are kinda wasteful too, you can't really rip it without it hardcore cherry-ing. and a lot of lower-end bongs have bowls with larger holes, causing it to pull through prematurely.

Grind your weed in a grinder, yes, but don't overdo it. If you grind it too much it'll burn faster. Get a clean bowl, take a hit every 2 minutes, don't let it cherry, stop smoking when you feel high enough.

you still lose material in the process

joints are somewhat wasteful, but I love 'em.
bongs are kinda wasteful too, you can't really rip it without it hardcore cherry-ing.

That's when you find a way/bong that allows you to cap off the bowl after you've taken a lungful. Knowing how to corner a bowl comes in handy as well.

Depends on the bowlpiece but I like to use a beer bottle cap because it fits over mine perfectly. Spark, start to pull, halfway through the pull I put the (aluminum) bottle cap on the bowl over the cherry, press down to stop excessive airflow and finish the hit.

More often than not, by the time I'm done pulling I've got a bongfull of leftover smoke but the cherry's out and no smoke's hit the air. Good for undercover smoking because you can just mosey right on up to a well-placed window fan and blow nearly all the smoke you've created straight out the house.

Seriously. It works well. Just... don't use a plastic bottle cap. I did that once a long time ago... still cringe at the memory... :(

Only pack a bowl that is big enough to clear in one lungful. Even if you plan on doing more than one hit, repack the bowl every time.
DO NOT USE JOINTS/BLUNTS!!!!! I can't stress this enough for efficient smoking. The ember will continue to burn even when you aren't taking a drag which is smoke that won't reach your lungs. Also there is smoke that comes off of it while you are taking a drag too. So more waste there.
The first smoke of the day will ALWAYS feel the best unless you take a much larger dose later on, so make that one dose count!

If possible, you may also look into getting some mediocre bud for your regular smoking pleasure and only use your good potent stuff for a very special treat.

Also, be greedy. Friends are wasteful if you share :p This one of course you'll have to decide on for yourself since smoking with friends can be fun. I just hate watching them waste the marijuana that I paid for (which they do a lot since they don't care. It's not theirs after all :p )

EDIT:
Depends on the bowlpiece but I like to use a beer bottle cap because it fits over mine perfectly. Spark, start to pull, halfway through the pull I put the (aluminum) bottle cap on the bowl over the cherry, press down to stop excessive airflow and finish the hit.
I almost forgot about this. I do it too, but i use a plastic cap that fits snuggly over the bowl without touching the ember. any excess smoke gets trapped in the cap which can be sucked out after the cherry stops burning :)

Only pack a bowl that is big enough to clear in one lungful. Even if you plan on doing more than one hit, repack the bowl every time.
DO NOT USE JOINTS/BLUNTS!!!!! I can't stress this enough for efficient smoking. The ember will continue to burn even when you aren't taking a drag which is smoke that won't reach your lungs. Also there is smoke that comes off of it while you are taking a drag too. So more waste there.
The first smoke of the day will ALWAYS feel the best unless you take a much larger dose later on, so make that one dose count!

If possible, you may also look into getting some mediocre bud for your regular smoking pleasure and only use your good potent stuff for a very special treat.

Also, be greedy. Friends are wasteful if you share :p This one of course you'll have to decide on for yourself since smoking with friends can be fun. I just hate watching them waste the marijuana that I paid for (which they do a lot since they don't care. It's not theirs after all :p )

EDIT:

I almost forgot about this. I do it too, but i use a plastic cap that fits snuggly over the bowl without touching the ember. any excess smoke gets trapped in the cap which can be sucked out after the cherry stops burning :)

Fuck you, I did it first! My idea! MINE!

Lol, no, just kidding. Figures I wasn't the first to try some shit like that before.

Torpedo is efficient, spillproof, no wasted smoke, portable and stealthy. Ideal size holds about one third of a gram of bud, enough for several hits. Very minimal wastage, not an overpowering burn rate.

The user controls the air pressure in the chamber with their fingertip so they can increase burn rate in miid-toke.

Torpedo is efficient, spillproof, no wasted smoke, portable and stealthy. Ideal size holds about one third of a gram of bud, enough for several hits. Very minimal wastage, not an overpowering burn rate.

The user controls the air pressure in the chamber with their fingertip so they can increase burn rate in miid-toke.

Torpedo? Is that a brand name? Looks kind of like a CO2 cartridge?

I just looked it up after you mentioned it because I had never heard of it before, that's the only reason I'm asking.

Torpedo? Is that a brand name? Looks kind of like a CO2 cartridge?

I just looked it up after you mentioned it because I had never heard of it before, that's the only reason I'm asking.

I had to as well. Its supposed to be a cigar alternative or somthing... Judging from the reviews i read on a pipe enthusiast site that popped up on the first page, not many people like it. and by not many I mean Akbar (the one who suggested it) was the only person who i have seen reccomend it lol.

Seems like a hassle since appearently it needs to be cleaned frequently, needs to be dissassembled to load and does not hold much botanical at a time

For the uninformed pot smoker, the torpedo is an old school THC delivery device. It needs to be refilled when material in chamber is fully burned. The need for cleaning is rare.

The torpedoes in typical 2014 head shop are too wide and too short.Their holes are too large. Pos. Others are too long with too large holes. The ideal torpedo is a rare creature because they are out of production. It would be similar to a "budbat".

The ideal torpedo is proportionally designed with chamber width, chamber length, size of holes in harmony so you get the full hit with a slow steady pressure exerted by the lungs. Not the type where you barely get a draw.

With a torpedo there are incredible stealth opportunities and impulsive convenience, limited only by the noise of lighter and the capacity and condition of the lungs.

Pipes, bongs, joints - forget it!!

Last edited:
For the uninformed pot smoker, the torpedo is an old school THC delivery device. It needs to be refilled when material in chamber is fully burned. The need for cleaning is rare.

The torpedoes in typical 2014 head shop are too wide and too short.Their holes are too large. Pos. Others are too long with too large holes. The ideal torpedo is a rare creature because they are out of production. It would be similar to a "budbat".

The ideal torpedo is proportionally designed with chamber width, chamber length, size of holes in harmony so you get the full hit with a slow steady pressure exerted by the lungs. Not the type where you barely get a draw.

With a torpedo there are incredible stealth opportunities and impulsive convenience, limited only by the noise of lighter and the capacity and condition of the lungs.

Pipes, bongs, joints - forget it!!

Hey akbar, don't post it in this thread but could you shoot me a private message with a link to one you'd consider decent? I'm not sure if greenlighters can PM but hey, if you can would you mind?