• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

How Did People from the U.S. Come to Call Themselves just "American" [like historically, factually]

Here I will smooth it out a little again. We Americans are you, your descendants. The first settlers had English accents. We are all one, we can't get away from that! ;)

That is why I like to call us Earthings. Someday that will come in handy.

I like Earthings, but it reminds me of that documentary, Earthlings, which is one of the most upsetting things I have ever seen (and I've seen Gusomilk!*)

*don't google that lol

They don't. People from England are called English. The people from the other countries in the UK are called by their country (Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish).
I feel like most people would just say "Irish" without the Northern part.

But with the U.S. you just call yourselves "American". Which, yes, you are from that continent...but the term is used to refer just to people from the U.S.
Why do you think we call our national sport tournaments the "world series"... but it's only US based teams who compete?

Because we are the center of the universe and the only country that matters. ;)

The name "America" was derived from Amerigo Vespucci, a man we rarely hear anything about:

I feel like most people would just say "Irish" without the Northern part.

No, they don't. They say Irish to refer to Ireland and Northern Irish to refer to Northern Ireland (they are two different countries). Ireland is not in the UK. Northern Ireland is. Neither of them are in Britain

No, they don't. They say Irish to refer to Ireland and Northern Irish to refer to Northern Ireland (they are two different countries). Ireland is not in the UK. Northern Ireland is. Neither of them are in Britain
Most Americans don't understand the geopolitical distinctions.

I'd be willing to bet 75% of Americans don't even know Northern Ireland exists, let alone the difference between the UK, Great Britain, England, and Ireland.

I mean, it is a bit confusing. Like Russian nesting dolls. If I hadn't visited those countries several times I probably wouldn't know it all either.