• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

How Did People from the U.S. Come to Call Themselves just "American" [like historically, factually]

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
To explain what I mean: everywhere else people call themselves - and are called by - first their country of nationality and then their continent sometimes. Like, I'm from England, so I'm English and also European [and, yes, British, too, but I feel like that's getting into the territory of unnecessarily complicating things]. Someone from Egypt is Egyptian and also African, etc.

Again, for simplicity's sake, I'll just refer to both American continents as "America" here.

But with the U.S. you just call yourselves "American". Which, yes, you are from that continent...but the term is used to refer just to people from the U.S. I mean, people from Canada, Brazil, Mexico etc are just as much American as you are...but you act as though that isn't the case?
Like, why don't you have a term that refers just to people from the U.S.? Other than the confusing one that actually refers to the whole (continents) but for some reason DOESN'T include the rest of the countries?

Not having a go at any of you btw, obviously no individual here made the rules on all this. I'm just really looking for info on this, to see if there is some sort of comprehensible reasoning behind all this that makes it make sense.

Cuz we’re THE Americans, no American is more American then us ya dig?

You know the reason why, you just want to hear one of us say it. I can’t help there’s some evil unfathomably rich MF’s in this country that happened to win a few wars and got all cocky. But isn’t that true with everywhere? Whoever has the riches, gets to think pretty highly of themselves.

-GC

To explain what I mean: everywhere else people call themselves - and are called by - first their country of nationality and then their continent sometimes. Like, I'm from England, so I'm English and also European [and, yes, British, too, but I feel like that's getting into the territory of unnecessarily complicating things]. Someone from Egypt is Egyptian and also African, etc.

Again, for simplicity's sake, I'll just refer to both American continents as "America" here.

But with the U.S. you just call yourselves "American". Which, yes, you are from that continent...but the term is used to refer just to people from the U.S. I mean, people from Canada, Brazil, Mexico etc are just as much American as you are...but you act as though that isn't the case?
Like, why don't you have a term that refers just to people from the U.S.? Other than the confusing one that actually refers to the whole (continents) but for some reason DOESN'T include the rest of the countries?

Not having a go at any of you btw, obviously no individual here made the rules on all this. I'm just really looking for info on this, to see if there is some sort of comprehensible reasoning behind all this that makes it make sense.
We are called Americans because that's what the English called us, i.e. The American Colonies. Did you guys forget?

We are called Americans because that's what the English called us, i.e. The American Colonies. Did you guys forget?

lol, no.
That was before the U.S. gained independence and also before all of the states were formed/included. It was also used to refer to the continent, not the country of the U.S.A.

I just found out maybe stupidest thing ever in a language of a country where I live.

Word for negros, politically correct word is diverted from word black. So for practical purpose let’s say it’s – black. But word that’s used for afroamericans is Black, so same as for other negros just with capital letter.

You're getting absolutely destroyed on here, my apologies. We Americans are quite arrogant at times and VERY proud to be living in the best country in the world.

I can see your point. There is North America, which consists of Canada, The United States of America, and Mexico.

United. States. Of. America (U.S.A)

That's the best way I can explain it lol.

You're getting absolutely destroyed on here, my apologies. We Americans are quite arrogant at times and VERY proud to be living in the best country in the world.

I can see your point. There is North America, which consists of Canada, The United States of America, and Mexico.

United. States. Of. America (U.S.A)

That's the best way I can explain it lol.

That's okay...I like getting destroyed, if ya know what I mean ;)

It's as simple as the name of the country. America is in the name. You could probably consider that we are the major power in the western hemisphere and the term America for the USA is simply universal.

You don't say you're going to America and then go to Canada or Bolivia. Because it's not the Bolivian states of America.

Didn't know Welshmen were that nationalistic.
It's rather enforced by relatively mutual agreement.
English think they are above everyone else in UK. The Welsh, Irish and Scots are considered rubes at best.
The Welsh, Irish and Scots are happy enough to be separate and cling to the old ways as much as is humanly possible in today's "modern" world.

"If you had the luck of the Irish, you'd wish you were English instead." John Lennon

Here I will smooth it out a little again. We Americans are you, your descendants. The first settlers had English accents. We are all one, we can't get away from that! ;)

That is why I like to call us Earthings. Someday that will come in handy.

[shhh with the American descendants, stuff! We do not talk about that in polite society. We think of the Americans like that one retarded, inbred relative you keep chained in the basement that everyone knows about but pretends we don't]

EDIT: because there are always people on the internet desperate to be offended, obviously that was a joke (sort of)