• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How can I lower benzo tolerance?

JamtasticX

Bluelighter
So its been 1 month since last script of 1 mg KPin, and I ate them all, so no benzos for a month. I got a refill on Wed, and ate 75mg of KPin in 5 days! I should be dead + I'm mixing heroin. This is crazy? My regular dose doesn't even help?

Anyone have an idea on what to do to get this damn tolerance down.

All you can do is have an extremely long period of abstinence I'm afraid.
Stay away from all substances that act on GABA receptors too.
What's your regular dose and do you take it every day? Because you should be careful as you may experience seizures :\

Get some more benzo's and wean wean wean!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Zopiclone and Zolpidem have a cross tolerance with benzo's so they might help with your withdrawals.

Maybe be honest with your doctor? Or get some off the streets.

Get some more benzo's and wean wean wean!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Zopiclone and Zolpidem have a cross tolerance with benzo's so they might help with your withdrawals.

Maybe be honest with your doctor? Or get some off the streets.

Yea you would definitely be better off tapering your dose down instead of just going without entirely.
And yup, Z-Hypnotics do share a cross-tolerance with Benzos and would help slightly, but in all honesty I very much doubt he'd feel them at all so they wouldn't help him sleep.

In an ideal world, it would be best to be honest with your doctor, but this has a very large possibility of you being taken off Benzos entirely. So if you need them badly then you might have to take the other option of getting some from the street... Not ideal in the least :|

We don't know your doctor though so they could be understanding and help you. Use your best judgement on that one :)

It would be best to stop using benzos so heavily. Clonazepam is a much less rewarding benzo, so to speak, than others in my experience.

It would be best to stop using benzos so heavily. Clonazepam is a much less rewarding benzo, so to speak, than others in my experience.

that depends on the person, as I think you would agree....

im prescribed clonazepam 1.5 mg's a day and it helps alot with my severe "anxiety attacks"(heart/chest pain). It also lasts alot longer than most benzo's. but for some people alprazolam, or diazepam would be better...but for me, with daily anxiety, clonazepam is the way to go....(I also don't get a "high" off of clonazepam as easily as some other benzos).

but yes....he should definitely stop taking such high doses. Very dangerous.

In an ideal world, it would be best to be honest with your doctor
, but this has a very large possibility of you being taken off Benzos entirely.

We don't know your doctor though so they could be understanding and help you. Use your best judgement on that one :)

Yep. IME most are understanding but are (in the UK at least) reluctant to prescribe benzo's, even short-term. Not surprising since back in the 60's & 70,s scripts for diaz etc were handed out like smarties...result? (Don't know the exact figures, but its in the millions) of people in the UK are permanently addicted to benzo's. So now...:\

Its not really the doctors fault either...the blame lies with Big Pharm.

Taper down your dose and have a long period of abstinence. That's really the only way you can lower your benzo tolerance. I've been tapering down with diazepam over the past year (I was previously on clonazepam), but my tolerance is still insanely high. I'd been on a high daily dose of benzos for 7 years, so I think it'll be a while before my tolerance finally decreases. :\

K-pin withdrawal from long term high doses is fucking brutal, (any benzo is at high doses) i would strongly advise on dropping your dose slowly and maybe quitting for a while.

I know this is an old topic but... I took Valium a lot over a 5 month period to where I had to take 5+ to feel it. I never had to taper like some of you suggested though, and I stopped taking them cold turkey with no withdrawal effects.

I didn't take any benzos, barbiturates, z-hypnotics, or any other of the nonbenzodiazepine psychoatives similar to benzos for a solid 2 months. But I did drink Alcohol about every weekend.

I just recently started taking my Valium again and it still does not feel like it did in the beginning, a little better, but obviously two months isn't long enough.

monstanoodle mentioned an extremely long abstinence from benzos (and those alike). What would be considered extremely long? Apparently two months wasn't but it did lower my tolerance relatively well.

Thanks.

Benzo tolerance is a bitch, that is for sure. I believe that your tolerance to benzos will never go back down to what it was when you first started taking them. A few years ago I had a large xanax habit, that I managed to give up cold turkey. Rough shit. My friend had to as well at the same time, and he had a grand mal seizure. benzo withdrawal is no joke my friend. After I quit my habit, I didn't touch benzos for a good 10-11 months, and when I took some xanax again after that long it felt basically like it did before I quit almost a year ago !8o

By before you quit, meaning the tolerance never even lowered :|?

Damn, I'll just get every potentiator possible then hahaha.

By before you quit, meaning the tolerance never even lowered :|?

Damn, I'll just get every potentiator possible then hahaha.

Well, yeah. During my habit i was usually taking about 4-6mg per day. Some days I would binge a bunch but not that often. So after my close to 1 year abstinence, taking xanax again wasn't like it was when I first started. The first time I took it after my 'vacation', i still needed 3mg to get moderately high. Soon afterwards my tolerance went back up to what it was during my habit. Sucks.

Nowadays I don't take them that often. I get a prescription for klonopin occasionally, but not every month. I also take valium sometimes that I get from a friend. I have to take about 4mg of klonopin to get fucked up. I mean at a lower dose, the therapeutic aspect is still there, just no intoxication. Which is fine, but sometimes I want to get fucked up !. Haha%)

Benzo tolerance can go down if you aren't addicted to them for a long period of time. However, there's a point where I believe if you continue to take them in excess, and are addicted to them, you will inevitably build up semi-permanent or permanent tolerance.

I was given quite a bit of a benzodiazepine for major surgery and my benzo tolerance is still back to where it was before hand.

Well, yeah. During my habit i was usually taking about 4-6mg per day. Some days I would binge a bunch but not that often. So after my close to 1 year abstinence, taking xanax again wasn't like it was when I first started. The first time I took it after my 'vacation', i still needed 3mg to get moderately high. Soon afterwards my tolerance went back up to what it was during my habit. Sucks.

Nowadays I don't take them that often. I get a prescription for klonopin occasionally, but not every month. I also take valium sometimes that I get from a friend. I have to take about 4mg of klonopin to get fucked up. I mean at a lower dose, the therapeutic aspect is still there, just no intoxication. Which is fine, but sometimes I want to get fucked up !. Haha%)

Wow that's rough. Its good you kicked the habit but I definitely know what you mean about wanting to just get fucked up hah!

Benzo tolerance can go down if you aren't addicted to them for a long period of time. However, there's a point where I believe if you continue to take them in excess, and are addicted to them, you will inevitably build up semi-permanent or permanent tolerance.

I was given quite a bit of a benzodiazepine for major surgery and my benzo tolerance is still back to where it was before hand.

Ya I don't believe I was ever addicted to it. I never took them daily (well I did some times but never for long). Just a few pills spaced out a week, and always multiple on weekends. This routine for about 4 months until I noticed a tolerance. I never had withdrawals at all so I wasn't addicted so perhaps with enough abstinence from it I will be back to semi-normal.

Hi
I use 2 years xanor(Alprazolam) about 2mg-4mg everyday.. in the end it stop working like every drug.. when you have HIGH tolerance. So i went to rehab and start to eat diazepam and then slowly dropping down the dose. It took 6months to get clear. Some other benzos it's faster to get clear. But damn it was a hell to rehab Alprazolam.

Hopefully it isn't permanent, but it really takes a long fucking time to get beack to normal, a long fucking time.

i'm hoping that more info will be brought to light about endogenous benzo site modulators produced naturally in the body. Benzos would be insanely more powerful than the endogenous modulator, and that's what is so bad about building tolerance, you must lose the ability of the endogenous modulator.

Hi
I use 2 years xanor(Alprazolam) about 2mg-4mg everyday.. in the end it stop working like every drug.. when you have HIGH tolerance. So i went to rehab and start to eat diazepam and then slowly dropping down the dose. It took 6months to get clear. Some other benzos it's faster to get clear. But damn it was a hell to rehab Alprazolam.

You did a 6 mo taper from @3mg xanax and it was still hell.... Damn now I'm worried about taking 1mg a day. I take those instead of the k-pins prescribed. 1mg xanax works better for me then 1 mg k-pins. I've always heard you can switch to valiums [like you did] and slowly taper w/o much discomfort???