• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How bad is opiate withdrawal ?

The methadone withdrawals are 10x worse than heroin withdrawals IME. I have never puked from being dope sick but puked like hell off of methadone WDs. When I puked up everything there was to puke the dry heaving would start. Ugh, fuck that shit.

Dry heaving from methadone WD's? Yet another reason why I'll never try methadone.

I had excessive dry heaving from a virus once and was in the hospital pretty quickly...I can only imagine dry heaving form a withdrawal.

I'm really sorry to hear you had to go through that.

I'm finishing 11 days cold from domes and I wish to god I could've just afford h or jams this is by far the worst w/ds I've dealt with. Just when you think you are making it thru some new symptom (for me RLS the last 4 days) drives you nuttier than squirrel shit. I had had enough w/my clinic and (they gave me somebody elses dose 4x fuckin morons) and I had had enough of being in cabin fever having to hit that line at 6:30am 365 a year - they wouldn't even give me a take home on xmas for the past three years even if i had clean urines cuz i would miss a group or some shit...I prolly would be dead at the rate I was going so I do owe a lot to methadome but it is by far the worst opiate w/d imo

Wow...that sounds like a really stern clinic IMO. You should have sued them if they gave you someone's dose four times. You still probably can.

Either way, you should consider Suboxone. Going to a doctor once a month is cake walk compared to being denied a take-home dose for Christmas (what bastards!).

I think the withdrawal itself is like a bad flu, something we could all live through. The fear of withdrawal is far worse - as is being sober if you haven't in a while.

I was on subs and got booted to methadome because I kept on fucking selling those stop signs (seriously even a hardcore diet of opiates you dont need 32mgs a day). Kept just enough to never be sick and kept on bootin lol... I could have literally 6+ malpractice and I live around boston but shit happens I don't want the money from their legal dope fuck them. As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have done it different w/domes, I was totally apathetic for the years on them, the last 11 days have been hell but I finally can feel again. I hadn't shed a tear in like 8 years and now I can be a sobbin little kid or if somebody even looks at me wrong I'm ragin. I know it's weird but I love feeling again, the agony of the length of dome w/d is really hard to not relapse but I personally found that aslong as you have a good amount of benzos (pref longer half life kpins / valium) some clonodine / zofram / imodium / ambien you can do it. The main trigger for me would be the fact that even with all of the above mentioned it wasn't until today I slept for more than 2-3 hours. Also, I didn't even realize it but feeling so sick I was eating a diet that made me totally ketogenic which mimics starvation (not the best for w/ds) so carbing up with some oatmeal and bananas today helped ALOT. I've logged everyday, everything I've taken and how I've felt, if I feel it can be of use I will post it when I'm out of this mess.

This guy must be a complete nut job. Opiate withdrawal caused me to see hells gates. That's how bad it is.

^exactly.
I've withdrawn off of various opiates, and every time, the w/d were hell on earth. I still get sick thinking about it and am horrified when I think of all the addicts out there suffering through w/ds like I did. It makes my heart ache for them because it's a personal hell on earth that includes all the various physical symptoms mentioned, which are pure evil (OMFG on the Restless Legs/Arms, the gooseflesh, the feeling of wanting to jump out of your body, etc...they are all horrid in their own ways). And just when you think you are getting better, some other form of physical torture begins.

Then, to compound the physical torture, comes the bone-crushing, wishing-for-death depression, the anxiety attacks, the mental anguish, the inability to push thoughts of dope from your brain....even when the worst of the physical symptoms are done with, you are left with this deep, tortured soul that obsesses about "just one bag" or "just one pill"...and it goes on and on and on.

I know this is my personal experience with withdrawal, but it seems many here have shared my hell.

I think the good doctor should go fuck himself.

OC

Something that I have done, that has actually worked, is using one opiate to w/d off another. I know it sounds like it shouldn't work, but I went from injecting 120mg of OC/day, to 2/3 of a small ball of tar, down to 6 Norco in the span of 4 days. You wouldn't think it would work like that, but it somehow does.

I know im in a significant minority but i completely agree with the guy. Either opiate withdrawal is a very mental thing, or maybe im just fuckin special, but when i was busted and was going through sentencing, trial, etc, i went cold turkey from a very high (comparitively) daily habit, and only experienced minor discomfort. Trouble sleeping and stuff, but thats to be expected when your going to prison.

My daily habit consisted of, depending on the day of the month, a morning shot of Morphine 120-150mg, roxy 90mg, oc80, dilaudid 16mg, oxymorphone 15mg, and then the wash later in the day. It was a pretty large habit in the crowd i ran with, but when i quit cause of sentencing, no big deal.

So whats the deal? I actually made a thread on this about year ago, where the group consensus was A. I was a lucky sob and B. Opiate withdrawal can be partly mental.

I know im in a significant minority but i completely agree with the guy. Either opiate withdrawal is a very mental thing, or maybe im just fuckin special, but when i was busted and was going through sentencing, trial, etc, i went cold turkey from a very high (comparitively) daily habit, and only experienced minor discomfort. Trouble sleeping and stuff, but thats to be expected when your going to prison.

My daily habit consisted of, depending on the day of the month, a morning shot of Morphine 120-150mg, roxy 90mg, oc80, dilaudid 16mg, oxymorphone 15mg, and then the wash later in the day. It was a pretty large habit in the crowd i ran with, but when i quit cause of sentencing, no big deal.

So whats the deal? I actually made a thread on this about year ago, where the group consensus was A. I was a lucky sob and B. Opiate withdrawal can be partly mental.

I'll tell you personally, w/any short acting opiate the w/ds seem unbearable (esp depending on how much of what you use). But, that being said, I have quite a lot of trouble coming to grips w/what is physical and what is mental w/my w/ds from domes.. I'm about 2 weeks deep and the RLS had subsided (took around 4-5 days of pure hell), and now I wake up and feel like day 1-2 of kicking dope, stomach is torture-shitting liquid and all the chills and pain you can think of. W/the long acting affects of the domes it seems like you are justtttttttttt about out of the woods and then that third week pokes in and reminds you just how bad it is, and how bad you can make it (the mental aspect). I have a good doctor who helps me with scripts that are not narcs (aside from a klonopin script that I haven't abused in years) like the zofram and clonodine / ambien etc. All that being said, I still sit here wondering how in the hell it came to this. Sadly, I know my own answer to that question and w/d'ing only makes it that much more apparent. The only good aspect of going cold to me is that I really don't crave any opiate, the relief is the temptation and that is where you have to stay strong mentally. Once you have overcome that hurdle you can start to look at things with the mindset of survival, because you chose fight not flight.

The "All you need is willpower (da-dadadada-daaah)" argument is based on as if "Willpower" is a singular entity, that there are no other colours but black or white, no grey, just have willpower in your pocket and your fine.
Serious Opiate Addiction tests the limits of your willpower, and I will assure you that when you first try quit, your willpower reserves and skills will be shit (not by anyone's fault really).
So part of it is training yourself. And that's not as easy as sticking a bit of bread in a toaster...

The "All you need is willpower (da-dadadada-daaah)" argument is based on as if "Willpower" is a singular entity, that there are no other colours but black or white, no grey, just have willpower in your pocket and your fine.
Serious Opiate Addiction tests the limits of your willpower, and I will assure you that when you first try quit, your willpower reserves and skills will be shit (not by anyone's fault really).
So part of it is training yourself. And that's not as easy as sticking a bit of bread in a toaster...

So true, if I had not had experience w/OCs and H withdrawals I never would've made it this far... and I'm still looking at 1-2 weeks before things shape up, this is where the black and white are clear: the only way to truly get better is to not use opiates, period. I realized just how far along things were not even 2 hours ago when two kids I knew (knowing that am in the midst of these w/d) slammed down on a gram between the two of them. I honestly got sick to my stomach because the recreational part of opiates left me so long ago and now I just see the black and white. These are people I know well and we've been thru a whole heap together, but that being said, I can tell the difference in the way they think and I do. I would give anything of mine to have these w/d stop without using and opiate but the only way to stop them is ride them out, so that's that.

easy compared to benzo wd

i go though oxy wd every month

i go through my 30 day script in 5- 7 days and stop cold turkey

only thing that sucks is oxy also cures my IBS

easy compared to benzo wd

i go though oxy wd every month

i go through my 30 day script in 5- 7 days and stop cold turkey

only thing that sucks is oxy also cures my IBS

Unless you were taking around 30+ mg of your benzo of choice and just dropped it cold (which could easily lead to death) I would have to say that opiate withdrawal is only easier depending on which opiate and how long / how much you have used. Kicking methadome is about as much fun as being in labor for a month and the baby just dont come out. (I'm not a girl so sorry for a bad metaphor, just how shitty it feels right now)

Unless you were taking around 30+ mg of your benzo of choice and just dropped it cold (which could easily lead to death) I would have to say that opiate withdrawal is only easier depending on which opiate and how long / how much you have used. Kicking methadome is about as much fun as being in labor for a month and the baby just dont come out. (I'm not a girl so sorry for a bad metaphor, just how shitty it feels right now)

i've run out of my benzos many times and am on 3mg of klonopin, and have had continous wd syptoms that last for weeks and months, but i get a refill every 3 weeks so i never have gone over two weeks

I also have a klonopin script, similar scenario. Klonopin to me is great for anxiety and potentiating other downers (or coming off a meth binge lol) but personally I find that xanax is the only benzo (unless I take over 80mg + of valium) that has any if at all "euphoric" affects ... I decided to not abuse benzos both for the risk of death if you w/d badly and the straight fact that for people like us we DO need some help to get thru the day. It just matters what you take to do it..

could you provide the link to the thread, im curious to see?

I've been going through w/d's since Monday. I only made it until today without help. My doc put me on a tapering plan ... hopefully it will help some.

I've w/d'd 3 times before with no help. It's absolute fucking hell and I just couldn't do it this time and go back for another script later. I'm giving up on opiates all together (I was taking 20 mg Oxycontin 3x daily for chronic back pain and 10/325 mg Oxycodone/Ace 2x daily for breakthrough pain).

Those who have said it is like the flu are right, only it is also 1000 times worse then the flu because of the depression and aches and tremors. God. I use to love opiates. What happened? Probably was on the verge of becoming an addict. Figure quitting now beats 3 years from now ... when I'll really have problems.

The fact that people can, and do mug old people for their purses in order to score smack to get rid of WD is a tell-tale sign as to how bad it is.

The fact that people can, and do mug old people for their purses in order to score smack to get rid of WD is a tell-tale sign as to how bad it is.

ugh I figured that one would come up sooner or later, that shit is the worst. It's one thing to have a stash house busted up even your own place (if its not a stash house :p) but yeah man I have done some very stupid shit w/d on H.

I've never robbed anything/anyone for gear or money for gear.

Or sold my body.

Thank fuck.

I always had a plan a/b/c for my next hit.

Plan "c" was always Subutex.

I've been going through w/d's since Monday. I only made it until today without help. My doc put me on a tapering plan ... hopefully it will help some.

I've w/d'd 3 times before with no help. It's absolute fucking hell and I just couldn't do it this time and go back for another script later. I'm giving up on opiates all together (I was taking 20 mg Oxycontin 3x daily for chronic back pain and 10/325 mg Oxycodone/Ace 2x daily for breakthrough pain).

Those who have said it is like the flu are right, only it is also 1000 times worse then the flu because of the depression and aches and tremors. God. I use to love opiates. What happened? Probably was on the verge of becoming an addict. Figure quitting now beats 3 years from now ... when I'll really have problems.

Yea man, until today, I'd been going through withdrawals since... can't remember exactly but it was around a week and a half with not much. My friend kindly gave me 30x30mg Dihydrocodeine tabs which was amazingly helpful, and then my doc gave me some 30/500 Co-Codamol Fortés for at night which, extracted, helped massively (more so than the DHC - Morphine's doing I'd say).