• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How are RC's created?

Sorry - I meant to say 'you cannot patent what you cannot synthesize' because otherwise someone could write a patent including millions of compounds.

I believe Shulgin began with the PEAs because they are seen in nature, synthetically simple and display quite rigid structure-activity relationships that were already somewhat understood.

bk-2CB came out and as far as I know, the ring-substitution follows that of the PEAs closely although they re less potent (for a number of reasons).

Things like DOM have always scared me because of their steep dose-response curve and long duration of action. But I'm fairly sure bk-DOM would be active and possibly a better product but most nations blanket-banned the class so we may never know.

Then Shulgin looked at the indoles which again occur naturally but are a little bit more complex from a synthetic perspective.

https://ibb.co/LtQQBKy

If you overlay the benzene rings of the two compounds above, you will note that other things overlay as well. We know that adding a 7-methyl to an indole produces almost the same alteration in activity as adding a 4-methyl to a PEA.

Sadly 7-methyl indole is a bit of a pig to make so not a lot of research has taken place. But it's my belief that the N of the indole acts as a bioisostere to the methoxy group of the PEA. In essence, a 5-methoxy indole overlays the 2,5-dimethoxy moiety found in the most potent PEAs.