• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos how addictive is xanax?

nancy145

Bluelighter
can someone compare xanax in addictiveness to a bunch of other drugs?

Not addictive at first. But after a week of taking them u'll start noticing bad w.d's if u stop. To me id compare them to alcohol in terms of addictiveness.. Everbodys diff though..

For people with anxiety issues and low self-esteem they are highly psychologically addicting.
Persons who are more grounded in life usually are generally not that prone to a Benzo-addiction.

Regarding physical addiction it is pretty harsh due to the short half-life and rebound effects...
So yeah, it is a very addictive substance and should be treated very carefully.

Extremely. There's no point in abusing benzodiazepines, don't even waste your time.

For people with anxiety issues and low self-esteem they are highly psychologically addicting.
Persons who are more grounded in life usually are generally not that prone to a Benzo-addiction.

Regarding physical addiction it is pretty harsh due to the short half-life and rebound effects...
So yeah, it is a very addictive substance and should be treated very carefully.

Spot on, to elaborate on that a little bit; Xanax, having a faster onset and different mechanism of action than most other Benzos available in Australia, makes the likely hood of physical addiction far greater, this means physical withdrawal symptoms, such as; the jitters, low energy, mood swings, even involuntary movements, all coupled with a strong sense of restlessness and depression are very probable after an extended period of use (2 weeks-ish of 4-6mg a day can bring on this come down for me, probably allot less for an inexperienced user).

You can keep these symptoms at bay with other benzos (obviously not a good idea), but it's likely you'll eventually find no other benzo delivers the same rapid onset and sense of euphoria that xanax does. As stated above, you should not consider "is xanax addictive?" but rather "how prone to addiction am I?". Very? In that case, yes xanax can be VERY addictive.

Hmm, I'd compare the addiction potential of Xanax with that of, say, codeine or amphetamine.

The most addicting, in most cases, especially mine.

I'll bang opiates and will quit the needle after a week or 2... would rather pop em or go back to benzos.

But I don't! Withdrawals will murder your sober-mind.

I think benzodiazepines withdrawal comparing opiate withdrawal. I popped for two years Rivotril (Klonazepam) 2mg's 4 times a day for my doctor's proposal and the widthdrawal was terrible and it lasts about two weeks.

Very different for different people. Some people have been on it for years and did not withdrawal once stopped. These are likely the same people who would not withdrawal off of a large alcohol habit. The majority of people will likely have some problems, don't test this theory on yourself. It is just not worth it.

Unless you need them for anxiety there not very addicting. It's like an amphetamine to me addiction wise. I like amphetamines but could never do it everyday. their fun but don't cause much euphoria.

^ Amphetamine's are very euphoric and benzo's are not at all or slightly euphoric. They can be a bit more euphoric with people that have anxiety. They are not at all addicting for me I have a huge benzo tolorence and bearly use them. It all depend's on the person they can also be addicting for people that use them for comedown's and that sort of thing and also with other drug's. I use them to with opiate's sometime's to make me nod that would be other way's really hard with weaker opiate's but they are not addictive for me at all. It all come's down to the person using benzo's and how benzo's effect their mind.

Unless you need them for anxiety there not very addicting. It's like an amphetamine to me addiction wise. I like amphetamines but could never do it everyday. their fun but don't cause much euphoria.

I concur. I've had some people who didn't have an anxiety disorder deny benzodiazepines are recreational and insist that I was either lying, ignorant, or experienced placebo.

Indeed, it seems these and related drugs are not really drugs at all, for most people.

I find this very odd—a drug can be recreational only for certain people afflicted with certain psychiatric disorders.

It makes me wonder how different drugs (e.g., opioids, dissociatives, psychedelics) feel to people with different mental disorders, insofar as they feel differently at all.

How might heroin feel to a person with anger management problems, or cocaine or meth to a person with depression?

How might a psychotomimetic (psychosis-imitating) drug, like PCP, feel to a person with a psychotic disorder, like schizophrenia? Might they feel anything? Perhaps doubly psychotic or, curiously, feel normal? Fascinating stuff!

In my experience, pretty addictive.

I hate xanax, so very much. I got into it for a while a few years ago, just before christmas. Got it to help with the intense anxiety of being around my family. Ended up taking it way to much and running OUT just in time for xmas and so had to deal with my family in addition to mild xanax withdrawal, horrendously unfun. Apart from the physical discomfort from withdrawal I also had some of the worst nightmares of my life. Never took it again.

I take valium all the time and have never had a problem stopping or my using running away from me like I had with xanax, fuck xanax man.

Very addictive. I've been prescribed it for years for my anxiety, but it's a double edge sword because it keeps me more or less at baseline but now I'm reliant on taking it. The few times I've forgotten to take it my anxiety comes back 10 fold and if I go too long I start having withdrawal like symptoms. If I ever decide to go off it I will have to taper for likely a long time. Depending on the person and dosage you run the risk of seizures if you quit benzos cold turkey.

Unless you need them for anxiety there not very addicting.

Sorry, but that's completely bs. It doesn't matter if the person has anxiety or not. If you take this shit long enough you will become physically addicted.

Any drug that brings the user pleasure can be addicting..everyone has their preferences so no one can tell u how u will react besides yourself..xanax just puts me to sleep which is not pleasurable to me so i can have xanax laying around for weeks and just use it for stim comedowns.

Compared to other drugs id say for some people xanax can be right up there with opiates in addictiveness

damn i read threads like these and dont know what to think..i have taken xanax over the years and it relieves my anxiety, thats it..i dont get euphoria from them, i dont get pleasure from taking them..as a matter of fact, often i dont like the spaced out feeling i get while on them..i will take a xanax for the same reason a person takesss an aspirin, to rid themselves of an ailment(headache or anxiety)..i guess i should consider myself lucky that i dont enjoy them i dunno..i dont find them very addictive at all...honestly i find caffeine or exercise to be much more addictive

Very addictive. I've been prescribed it for years for my anxiety, but it's a double edge sword because it keeps me more or less at baseline but now I'm reliant on taking it. The few times I've forgotten to take it my anxiety comes back 10 fold and if I go too long I start having withdrawal like symptoms. If I ever decide to go off it I will have to taper for likely a long time. Depending on the person and dosage you run the risk of seizures if you quit benzos cold turkey.

Sorry, but that's completely bs. It doesn't matter if the person has anxiety or not. If you take this shit long enough you will become physically addicted.

physically dependent u mean?addiction means mental, your brain craves the drug..addiction and physical dependence are 2 different things..

Xanax is extremely addictive, probably the most addictive out of all the benzodiazepines. It creates panic attacks, too, and has a withdrawal beyond imagination. I didn't even take it that long (maybe a month at four times per week in doses below 1mg) and I got panic attacks from stopping it.

I know it's not the case for everybody but for me, not very addictive. I've used them for the last few years but never daily for more than 2-3 days in a row and I've always taken them for anxiety, not recreationally. The only time I'll use them in a recreational setting is to smooth out or comedown from the effects of a stimulant.

So, for me they're really just a tool and I've never felt any sort of craving for them. Had an insane anxiety attack last night though and was very glad to have some on hand.

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying amps aren't euphoric, amps are very euphoric but I couldn't use them everyday. On the other hand xanax isn't very recreational. That's just me though