• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids History of addiction in medical records will I ever get prescribed pain pills?

@Deru I agree completely- I’ve gotten absolutely no relief from Toradol in regards to severe kidney stone pain. (I only shared the article to shine light on why some MDs have begun utilizing it more in treatment ) I’ve gotten the most relief from IV Dilaudid or IV Demerol. One MD also ordered a diclofenac suppository along with the Dilaudid, which was probably the single most effective combination I’ve ever had.

That’s interesting about Toradol being an effective drug for kidney stone pain. And it’s even more interesting that the two of you (Rebelgal54 + Deru) also experienced no pain relief from Toradol. Makes me wonder how bad the patients’ stone pain really was if Toradol was effective for them...

That’s interesting about Toradol being an effective drug for kidney stone pain. And it’s even more interesting that the two of you (Rebelgal54 + Deru) also experienced no pain relief from Toradol. Makes me wonder how bad the patients’ stone pain really was if Toradol was effective for them...

One theory for why patients with opiate addiction report medications like Toradol as less effective for severe acute pain has to do with opiate dependent patients:
1. having a reduced pain threshold
2. having increased anxiety/fear that being an addict will result in being undermedicated OR that taking opiates may trigger relapse

Taking that into account, the theory is that the powerful psychotherapeutic effect of opioids reduces the emotional distress that accompanies pain... which is what makes them feel more effective to us

To be fair, I never found opiates to ever eliminate pain, personally speaking. Opiates made me not care the pain was there.

I was in a pretty good scooter accident, broken jaw and everything. When the EMTs shot me up with morphine, I was still in every bit of pain that I was before, but it became this thing that I could acknowledge and put off to the side, which would no longer be screaming at me, dominating my thoughts. If I focused on it, I felt the broken bones, the bleeding, the cuts, etc. but If I just stared at the ceiling and thought of a happy place, it wasn't so bad anymore. It took the acuteness out of the pain, to the point where I asked if I could just go home after the shot, clearly high as a kite.

Opiates do this thing where they make pain bearable. They don't eliminate it, the way a topical anaesthetic might. It just rearranges the priories somehow, and puts the immediate and urgent nature that comes with pain on the back burner.