• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin for pain relief, bad idea?

@mad...............man the teeth problems though bro............I have had all four of my wisdoms pulled at once, all but lost my front tooth at thriteen in a skiiing accident it was stuck in my jaw and completely shattered it. Im not even scared of tooth stuff, fuck them I aint paying a g for anetsethics when its only like 200 to pull a few teeth. I got two teeth that need pulled right now and I am terrified because Im so used to my opiates. I got a really good thing going on with my doc, Ive only been piss tested once in 5 years and so far he has prescribed me whatever I asked. Which is why you see me on here asking for advice about the switch to long acting opiates and whatnot because I dont want to do anything to fuck it up, thats super rare, almost unheard of if not completely unheard of. Anyways Im gonna use a triple roll over wreck I got in on the way home from my last appointment to work in my favor hopefully........Im gonna tell him bout the wreck, ask him to up my amtripyline for sleep and if I can have an extra oxy per day and start there since I got the dental pain coming up, and if Im still having pain in between doses maybe next month Ill go to a long acting. I know he thinks the long acting meds are a step up, so Im gonna use my circumstances and ease into it. Who knows maybe hell just give me the long acting shit

didnt mean to jack the thread my bad, that was just a pressing issue id been thinking of, one more note to the OP. In your response to me about the WDs i noticed a lot of red flags. Someone else said, "they thought you justified your drug use using pain" I dont believe that. I can tell by reading your comments about depression and waiting for it to end amongst other things, you really need some help. I have read many a literature that speak about the importance of treating chronic pain in people, even with a history of addcition. The reason being is that if pain is what drove you to use, and eventually into being an addict in the first place...........your at the worst risk for relapase when your pain isnt under control, and your at the worst risk for suicide when your pain isnt under control. Dont give up finding a doctor man really dig deep and try to get some help because breaking the law will catch up with you, trust me Ive been around this shit and ssen it all.

you saw you have not become addicted YET but yet you been through withdrawals, which means you have been through addiction.

I dont have to say much more because everyone has already said it, but if you think poppy tea withdrawal is bad, then just wait till you go through heroin withdrawal. yes, w/ poppy tea you were able to battle it and get through those 2-3 days of hell. w/ heroin those 2-3 days will be the absolute worst days of your life; not only that, but it will be much longer than 2-3 days. I also dont fully understand how you are using your heroin - sniffing? you say 30MG - I dont really measure like that but just be careful, man. stick to your original plan because we all know heroin has ruined many lives.. mine being one of those!

try getting scripted suboxone - maybe that will help w/ pain and also addiction.

The day will soon come when you need to use to keep up with life, or keep up with appearances. Everyone tells you you're walking on thin ice, because your story is similar in sure to ones we've heard many many times, and though they don't end the same, they have a VERY predictable course of action. Addiction is like a little plant inside you, and everytime you use, you water it. Its growing, but no one ever sees it in the beginning, I know I sure didn't. Its a sneaky little slut.if you enjoy living life and having people respect you at all, turn back now.ive been clean for a long time, and when I think about it, it has a feeling like its "the girl that got away". Despite all the things its done to mei still look upon her with fond memories. Have you tried something like hydrocodone? Its always had an easier withdrawal profile for me,

Boston, I was sniffing the H and I said 30mg because I measured my doses with a scale, I always try to be as safe as possible. I just dumped the rest down the toilet, thank you to everyone who posted.

I've thought about everything that's been said and I guess I am a lot closer to the edge than I cared to admit. I need to be honest with myself, no more lies.

About 3 years ago I had chronic bronchitis for more than 10 months. My GP was prescribing me antibiotics and codeine. The codeine was a miracle for me, it made me feel so much better and because I needed it for the cough suppression and pain relief I could justify my use, it was medically necessary. But the main reason I wanted to take it was because it helped so much with my emotional problems, but I would never admit that was the main reason I wanted to take it, it was just another benefit. I started buying OTC codeine/APAP and doing cold water extractions to supplement my scripts because I could only get about 20 30mg pills every couple of weeks.

I kept it under control but after a while the codeine pretty much stopped working so I stopped for a while. I hadn't used any codeine in a couple of months and I was tapering off risperdal and also taking oxazepam and lithium. My doctor didn't warn me about WDs from these meds, he was pure evil, I was going through severe WDs and my psche would deny it, telling me it was anxiety and depression. He stopped the oxazepam cold turkey, (I didn't know about benzo WDs) and continued to haphazardly taper the risperdal. I became very sick for a long time and when I managed to get out of bed and get to the doctor I would be told I was developing depression and I was prescribed a few SSRIs before settling on mirtazapine. The doctors wouldn't help me so I started using codeine again to cope, it didn't work very well so I tried some poppy tea and it seemed to solve everything. It stopped the panic the pain, it let me sleep, it even stopped the diarrhea and slowed down my heart making it easier to breath. I kept this up for a while and even managed to continue going to work but I was getting worse every day. At this point the risperdal was stopped, and I was tapering off lithium, I had been poly drugged for years until my psyche finally started to admit that the meds were prob just treating each others side effects at this point and since my meds were the result of a diagnose of drug induced psychosis 7 years ago with no further symptoms.

I stopped going to work because I was so sick all the time and I had given up on asking for help. I barricaded myself in my room and went to hell for a few weeks. I was drinking copious amounts of poppy tea to try to take the edge off but it didn't help very much and the worst part is I had no fucking idea when it was going to end, these WDs had been getting worse relentlessly for months. I had been isolated for a few weeks and my parents called the mental health team, I refused to speak to the so the police came and they detained me. I was in the ER for a week and then the psche ward for a week for observation. They released me and agreed that the meds were causing all my problems, they referred me to the community mental health centre for a follow up. I went to the appointment and politely told them to go fuck themselves, they were very apologetic about how poorly I had been treated and offered to try and help me, suggesting alternative options that wouldn't involve any psychiatrists or meds.

I just wanted to get away a hide before the hurt me again. I was physically damaged pretty severely and in a lot of pain. I started using oxy to manage, I knew if I got hooked it would be the last thing I ever did so I was very careful and only used it as a last resort when codeine and poppy tea weren't enough. I started smoking weed as well to supplement the opiates which made it a lot easier to never increase my dose. This escalated to the point where I bought some H because oxy is too expensive and I can't source it very often.

I guess if I'm honest with myself I'm following a textbook pattern of spiraling opiate dependence, and it needs to stop.

Boston, I was sniffing the H and I said 30mg because I measured my doses with a scale, I always try to be as safe as possible. I just dumped the rest down the toilet, thank you to everyone who posted.

I've thought about everything that's been said and I guess I am a lot closer to the edge than I cared to admit. I need to be honest with myself, no more lies.

About 3 years ago I had chronic bronchitis for more than 10 months. My GP was prescribing me antibiotics and codeine. The codeine was a miracle for me, it made me feel so much better and because I needed it for the cough suppression and pain relief I could justify my use, it was medically necessary. But the main reason I wanted to take it was because it helped so much with my emotional problems, but I would never admit that was the main reason I wanted to take it, it was just another benefit. I started buying OTC codeine/APAP and doing cold water extractions to supplement my scripts because I could only get about 20 30mg pills every couple of weeks.

I kept it under control but after a while the codeine pretty much stopped working so I stopped for a while. I hadn't used any codeine in a couple of months and I was tapering off risperdal and also taking oxazepam and lithium. My doctor didn't warn me about WDs from these meds, he was pure evil, I was going through severe WDs and my psche would deny it, telling me it was anxiety and depression. He stopped the oxazepam cold turkey, (I didn't know about benzo WDs) and continued to haphazardly taper the risperdal. I became very sick for a long time and when I managed to get out of bed and get to the doctor I would be told I was developing depression and I was prescribed a few SSRIs before settling on mirtazapine. The doctors wouldn't help me so I started using codeine again to cope, it didn't work very well so I tried some poppy tea and it seemed to solve everything. It stopped the panic the pain, it let me sleep, it even stopped the diarrhea and slowed down my heart making it easier to breath. I kept this up for a while and even managed to continue going to work but I was getting worse every day. At this point the risperdal was stopped, and I was tapering off lithium, I had been poly drugged for years until my psyche finally started to admit that the meds were prob just treating each others side effects at this point and since my meds were the result of a diagnose of drug induced psychosis 7 years ago with no further symptoms.

I stopped going to work because I was so sick all the time and I had given up on asking for help. I barricaded myself in my room and went to hell for a few weeks. I was drinking copious amounts of poppy tea to try to take the edge off but it didn't help very much and the worst part is I had no fucking idea when it was going to end, these WDs had been getting worse relentlessly for months. I had been isolated for a few weeks and my parents called the mental health team, I refused to speak to the so the police came and they detained me. I was in the ER for a week and then the psche ward for a week for observation. They released me and agreed that the meds were causing all my problems, they referred me to the community mental health centre for a follow up. I went to the appointment and politely told them to go fuck themselves, they were very apologetic about how poorly I had been treated and offered to try and help me, suggesting alternative options that wouldn't involve any psychiatrists or meds.

I just wanted to get away a hide before the hurt me again. I was physically damaged pretty severely and in a lot of pain. I started using oxy to manage, I knew if I got hooked it would be the last thing I ever did so I was very careful and only used it as a last resort when codeine and poppy tea weren't enough. I started smoking weed as well to supplement the opiates which made it a lot easier to never increase my dose. This escalated to the point where I bought some H because oxy is too expensive and I can't source it very often.

I guess if I'm honest with myself I'm following a textbook pattern of spiraling opiate dependence, and it needs to stop.

It's good you are being honest with yourself.

That's patterns basically me without all the psych meds, and then I pushed H to the limit. Now I just take kratom at the moment some red vein 6-10 grams a day I've really lowered my dose durastically and just want off all opiates but I'm dependent really, without the kratom I get sick. Opiates are insidious bastards, and eventually you string yourself along until you end up on junk, and the whole time leading up to that it's lying to yourself and rationalizing your usage that makes you completely blind to your developing habit.

It's good you are aware of your spiral now, and it's going to suck but no opiate habit is sustainable and it leads to a really shitty place.

I'm fighting with myself atm, I really want to just give up. I just want to say the biggest lesson I've taken from this is I have to make a choice. I'm in control and I have two options, recovery or dependence and recovery is the only one that allows for hope. It's easier to keep fighting than it is to give up, and it always will be.

out of curiosity, because I always wonder, how did you make the move from oxy to dope? how did you find dope? I ask because when I think about it, if I didnt already surround myself w/ a circle of users throughout my life, I think drugs, esp. dope, would be hard to find. but I always hear/read/see these people who just happen to go out and pick u randomly one day. I always find it weird when I hear things like this.

maybe its just me, who knows.

Boston, if you can find oxy it's even easier to find dope. I've been around dealers since I was in high school, if you know what to look for scoring drugs is so much easier than most people realize.

Boston, if you can find oxy it's even easier to find dope. I've been around dealers since I was in high school, if you know what to look for scoring drugs is so much easier than most people realize.

well, if youve been around dealers since highscool, then yea, I can understand.

I thought you were very NEW to this and were only seeing a Dr. and then just happened to score some dope.

I never touched the stuff when I was younger, I stuck to weed and psychedelics. A lot of my friends used dope and meth as teens and I saw first hand what it did to them so I stayed away from those drugs. The dealers are pretty fucked up as well, nothing like weed dealers.

You have made a very wise decision. For me, going to therapy about the traumatic experiences that happened to me in childhood and adulthood has been extremely helpful in keeping me sober. I too used because of pain at first, but I realized it took away the PTSD. When I was three I walked in on my Dad cheating on my Mom with the woman he is married to now (this woman treated my brother and I terribly) and I always thought it was my fault they split up. My Dad was also a chronic IV cocaine user which lead to some scary family moments. My mom was extremely depressed for a long time because of the breakup, which lead my brother and I to believe we were indeed the ones making her sad. This stuck with me throughout my life and shaped the way I view relationships and women. When I took opiates all that melted away...I could be a family member, I could be a friend, I didn't feel worthless. The crippling anxiety of something inevitably being life shattering just around the corner was no longer in the forefront of my mind.

Going to therapy once a week for a long time has been extremely helpful in working through these things. I too have had intense drug induced psychosis from three bad trips that sent me to the hospital. This lead me to become diagnosed with OCD. The opiates helped this, made me forget myself...but now, I no longer need them to center myself. My therapist is very helpful. Even just having someone that has feelings that aren't wrapped up in the divorce, and cheating to bounce my thoughts off of has been a boon to my recovery. Also, therapy will teach you things about yourself that you never knew. It can help you reach goals you thought were insurmountable.

You are much stronger than you know. You can beat this easily, and with some help you can stay off the opiates if you so desire.

PM if you just need an ear to bend. I, like everyone else, have been through some crazy shit in my life, and I may be able to provide insight into yours.

Heroin (diacetylmorphine, morphine diacetate etc.) is one of the most, if not the most effective substance for relief of pain. Seeing as morphine is the "gold standard" in pain relief and heroin is chemically just a stronger/faster/more effective "form" of morphine, I'd say it would be hard to beat. It's use is common in many countries outside of the United States in the treatment of severe pain as experienced during heart-attack, cancer and so on. I'd hazard a guess that the only reason we use morphine and not heroin in the States is due to drug hysteria, because the two are almost identical in effect, save for morphine's annoying histamine-related side-effects which get worse with escalating dose.

But, Heroin, in this country is not a pharmaceutical. There is zero regulation in regards to the strength, purity or bulking/cutting material used. You're heroin will invariably be different each time you buy. This makes it impossible to follow a responsible, accurate dosing schedule. Changes in purity will lead to rapid adjustment of tolerance. It just wouldn't work.

streetpharmacist84 seems to be referring to me in his post and and I just want to clarify that I don't mean to belittle the pain your experiencing/ have experienced. It's just that any excuse even a legitimate one becomes something on which to prop up your addiction in my experience. When I use I say to myself "Well I'm so depressed, my life is such a wreck I can allow my self one gram and then I'll quit. then I'll scrape myself together" etc. And then I go through the same process lying to myself to allow myself to support my ever growing habit. I want to make it clear I am not judging in my protest in fact many of us are far worse than you. I just want to give genuine advice that you not go down this road of self deception and destruction. I simply think the addict mind searches for an excuse - not just for others but but also for themselves. It seems you need actual medical pain relief but you should always be vigilant of the lure of opiates. Sorry If I caused any offence here.

Last edited:
Heroin is simply a carrier for morphine. It is used because it is roughly 3 times more effective than morphine in crossing the blood to brain barrier. Ergo, people that say things like "I never knew anyone who sucessfuly controlled chronic pain with heroin" arent making much sense.

Personally speaking, when in Cambodia and Laos I maintain on heroin. In the Philippines I get morphine prescribed and in the States and Israel I get methadone prescribed. There is nothing to be fearful of though like any opiate/opioid there are serious issues to be concerned about, tolerance, simce it is illicit in most places purity and adulteration are a crapshoot.

I want to thank everyone who's replied to me, I really appreciate it. I think this is going to be a major turning point for me, it's scary to think about what could've happened if it wasn't for you guys.

I went to the doctor and I've got an appointment with a psychologist tomorrow. I've decided that I need to take a break from all drugs for a while to figure out what my baseline is. I need to figure out what's causing what without anything clouding the picture. Who knows, maybe my pain will even improve, or I can at least get a clearer picture of how bad it is before figuring out how to manage it.

Yes, it is, because it is MUCH more euphoric than almost everything else, even stronger opiates like fentanyl. Euphoria + pain relief = GOOD, except it's too good.

The only prescription opiate I consider equal to heroin is oxymorphone, but even that is more 'noddy' and less pleasurable than H. and the w/d is harsher than heroin.

Regarding the euphoric qualities of H. First off, I've never done it but I watch a bunch of those - Drugs, Inc., Intervention and Addicted etc. shows and try to gain all the knowledge I can. Personally, I've been on Opana ER for the last 3-4 years and it pretty much does the trick for me (PM speaking) but it certainly does have the tiredness thing going for it and I really hate that side-effect. As for describing what it's like to take it, I'd never describe it as I've heard H described on the TV. Addicts use terms like, when I do a shot it's like a warmth comes over my whole body and I tingle from head to toe and it's like a warm blanket has enveloped me - pure ectasy. I mean Opana is nice but give me a break, it'll never come close to what I've heard about H. And that's exactly why H is SOOO much more addicting than almost any other drug. I mean, how do you compete with those feelings, right?

Regarding the euphoric qualities of H. First off, I've never done it but I watch a bunch of those - Drugs, Inc., Intervention and Addicted etc. shows and try to gain all the knowledge I can. Personally, I've been on Opana ER for the last 3-4 years and it pretty much does the trick for me (PM speaking) but it certainly does have the tiredness thing going for it and I really hate that side-effect. As for describing what it's like to take it, I'd never describe it as I've heard H described on the TV. Addicts use terms like, when I do a shot it's like a warmth comes over my whole body and I tingle from head to toe and it's like a warm blanket has enveloped me - pure ectasy. I mean Opana is nice but give me a break, it'll never come close to what I've heard about H. And that's exactly why H is SOOO much more addicting than almost any other drug. I mean, how do you compete with those feelings, right?

You're eating your Opana. I've banged it. BIG DIFFERENCE. really. oxymorphone is like 10-20% available by mouth, 100% by IV. Ive banged both, and that's why I can make the comparison.

If Opana was 100% available by mouth, they wouldnt make 40mg tablets, they'd be 10mg, tops.

and even oxymorphone isnt as euphoric as heroin, but it's close. and yes, everything you have heard about heroin's effects are true: being kissed by God, being surrounded by a blanket of warm titties, like every problem in the entire world has been solved, etc. That's one reason it's so goddamned addictive: how in the hell can any non-drug compete with those feelings?