• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Heroin - Exp - A chippers diary: my journey in moderation of Heroin use (HR USED)

Ebola what would a more infrequent use look like? Once every two weeks? Once a month?

One use per week should be sustainable in the long term, iff you stick to that rule. I haven't met anyone who has, at least over the course of more than a few years.

I don't buy into the disease model. I believe I have a choice.

That's fine (the disease model is at best incomplete), but the 'choice model' (it's not really a model of addiction...it just transposes how we superficially think of all our behavior onto drug use) has a decidedly shitty track record. I think that this is largely because addiction is rooted specifically in neuro-cognitive processes that undermine one's ability to exercise control over one's choices.

ebola

Thanks for your input Ebola :) yeah I agree- ones choices can be severely undermined by substance use- this no one can argue. I guess part of the treatment for the disease model I do accept. Such as using spirituality to treat addiction. Put simply - I am a spiritual person. I believe in God(I'm a no religious Christian I think doctrine is absurd and hold many beliefs traditional Christians do not- like God loving Homosexuals just as much as He loves me etc) that being said I personally hold the belief that using spirituality will help one make better choices- things such as prayer and meditation help me get in touch with my God, and I feel more stable and better able to make the right choice when I'm active spiritually. I don't hold to things like if I'm addicted to substance x I'm automatically addicted to substance y. If that where the case I would be going on alcohol binges, craving it and so forth. Yet I find alcohol no harder to control than eating a piece of chocolate- or abstaining because I want to lose a lb or two. I just don't buy into the idea that I'm 100% powerless- ultimately the choice is mine- but like you said substances do undermine ones ability to make a rational choice when one is addicted to said substance.

Now for some positivity
I finished up school with a 3.0 gpa this semester- not as high as I would have liked it- but I will elaborate on that in a second. I took two sciences (chem and biology for healthcare professions). Chem was a 5 credit class bio a 4 credit class and I also took death and dying an anthro class for 3 credits. Now all I have is anatomy I and II which I wi be taking both next semester in 8 week segments- then I apply to Nursing School!!

The reason for my lower grades (and aside from lower grades I find this to be extremely relevant to my chipping attempt) is that my wife's brother is dying from brain cancer. He has glioblastoma multiforme inoperable. The survival rate is about 8% which is absolute shit in medical statistics- basically the worse cancer someone could come down with. It is hard for me because I am newly wed, and deeply in love with this woman who is also my best friend. Like seriously my best friend I enjoy my time with my wife so much. To watch her suffer breaks my heart. It just rips me up. So I have of course been more focused on her and being there for her than school this semester. I find this highly relevant because it is a shitty situation in life- and I know full well I wouldn't have to experience the sadness and pain if I just did H. But I know better than that. Whether I do H or lanky it won't change anything. That isn't the answer. The answer is being the best me I can be so I can support my wife. Sorry for the lengthy response but I found all this to be relative to this log/blog

I think that this is largely because addiction is rooted specifically in neuro-cognitive processes that undermine one's ability to exercise control over one's choices.
Bollocks! It's because there is no choice, choice is just a delusion caused by a side effect of life that we call consciousness. ;)

One use per week should be sustainable in the long term, iff you stick to that rule. I haven't met anyone who has, at least over the course of more than a few years.

That's fine (the disease model is at best incomplete), but the 'choice model' (it's not really a model of addiction...it just transposes how we superficially think of all our behavior onto drug use) has a decidedly shitty track record. I think that this is largely because addiction is rooted specifically in neuro-cognitive processes that undermine one's ability to exercise control over one's choices.

ebola
So does the disease approach. I think it's something like 9% of people in 12 step programs stay sober. The vast majority do not. I have tried the 12 step approach and I like the concept sure but it doesn't play out well.

The AA model is not exemplary of the disease model in general and itself lacks scientific validation. I would look to various types of cognitive-behavioral procedures as more 'scientifically typical' of application of the disease model to addiction (and psychopathology in general).

ebola

You should quit while your ahead. Do should not make goals to do heroin, and have set days to do it. I guarantee, you will fall slave to heroin. Tons of us started JUST like you, "im not gunna do it too often, maybe just once a month". This drug is so powerful, once you do it you almost indefinetively will do it again to feel the feeling you did when you first tried it, hence 'chasing the high'. I would give $1.000.000 to go back to the time my mindset was just like yours, and just quit overall. Im saying all of this because I care about you as a person, and everyone here will tell you, if you continue down the path your taking... Your only gunna end up killing yourself. I wish you my best regards.

The very fact that you had to set up rules is a bad sign that you are becoming addicted.

The very fact that you had to set up rules is a bad sign that you are becoming addicted.

Er...drug use without the provision of rules for one's self sounds really reckless.

ebola

crimsonjunk said:
Did I say that will is free? ;)
Right, you didn't. Was just messing around anyway and figured you'd have already thought about this plenty yourself. :D

Er...drug use without the provision of rules for one's self sounds really reckless.
I'd have to agree to what ebola said, eventhough you do indeed have a point. If you asked me, those rules are merely proof that she is aware of the very real possibility to become addicted. Since this realization often comes when it's much too late, you've probably only seen it in people who already have an addiction or are in the process of slipping into one. Anyway, I can totally see what you're saying, but I guess the phrasing wasn't very sensitive and could be perceived as slightly judgmental.

I had personally set strict rules for myself before I started using ketamine (thanks to a guide to ketamine I found on bluelight): The minimum break after each trip was to be two weeks and I was to mark the days on which I used in the calendar.
I threw the latter rule overboard very quickly though. Well to be honest I never really kept track of my use at all, not by means of written documentation.
Since I had no one to share my ketamine with in those days, was always dosing 250mg and only once within a day, I could retrospectively see at what frequency I was using. To that point I assumed it was roughly every other week, but it turned out I had been using it twice per week throughout the first 6 months.

I honestly don't see myself pulling this off for a single week with strong opiates like heroin or hydromorphone and the like... No fucking way. But hey, that's just me.

Btw ebola? was referring to rules in general, not just the one set by the op.

These are some other rules I made for myself:
-No pot before school: Massive fail! (but have only used at nighttime for the past decade or so)
-No synthetic drugs: Failed when I had a chance to take LSD with 17. Since then I've used far over 100 different synthetic psychoactive drugs.
-No drinking alone: Riiiight.
-No needles: I can only urge everyone to make that rule for themselves and stick to it, but again: It just didn't work out for me.

@schwelly
There is one very dangerous pitfall which you could overlook and which could then mess up your neatly laid out plan:
If you ever skip your H one week because you simply do not have the time, for example when you are on holidays from Wednesday to the next Wednesday. Do NOT think that you can 'make up' for the lost day by using four times during the following week.
It is very easy to make that mistake and when it does happen, a threshold will be crossed. From there on out there will be many more chances to cross other thresholds and you are far more likely to cross them than if you had been stricter about following your rules.

So really, I would suggest that you rephrase your rules. Two times per week is just not specific enough. For example:
'I will have minimum break of 5 days after each day I use Heroin unless I have used it the day before, but not the day before that.'

But even with that one, you should define what a 'day' is. As ridiculous as it may sound, this is another pitfall. Is a day the time between two nights of sleep? Is a day equal to a calendar day? In that case, couldn't you use just one hit before bed time shortly after midnight and then continue in the morning. You can see what I'm getting it. If you ever stay home sick for a few days, it will be very tempting to cheat yourselves. Currently your rules allow plenty of misinterpretations which you could shamelessly abuse.

Last but not least, make absolutely sure your rules apply to all other opiates as well. Oxymorphone is one hell of a drug, yknow? But then - Is Tramadol really an opiate? You get the idea. Get more specific or your brain will eventually violate your rules until there's nothing but a faint memory left of them.

Last edited:
Well I'm a male lol.

I set up guidelines so I would keep myself accountable. So I would not just use whenever the idea hit me. So let me specify

I will use for two consecutive days back to back. During those two days I will only use a nighttime after all my responsibilities are done( homework, work, and any other responsibilities I may have that day). If for whatever reason I cannot use the second day, I will not make that day up- it will be an additional 5 days before I use again.
Definition of a day- a 24 hour period. So far so good. Friday is the designated day- but I may push it back even further. As of now I am abstaining from all substances but I may have a beer or two in the next couple of days. I have also started working out again. Oh another rule.
I will not use more than 1.25 grams in a two day period- I cannot afford that comfortably, and there is no need for anything more than .6 of a gram to achieve the effect I am looking for which is not passing out but simply total relaxation and reduction of stress.

I will not use more than 1.25 grams in a two day period

o_0!
Okay. Dosing this frequently over the course of 48 hours will reveal its unsustainability quite quickly. How about one usage per week, only involving a couple of redoses at most? If you can't handle limiting your usage on your 'on' days, you will be very unlikely to stick to your 2 day / week schedule (I still don't see why it's not scaled back to 1 day / week).

ebola

I think once a week is prolly safer. I use 2x. A week because I like the high- but if 1x is safer then that's what I'll do. So Friday is the day and I will stick to Fridays. I want to enjoy this without wrecking my life so 1x a week sounds better

I think guidelines should be out in place for any substance. Drinking and not driving is a guideline, not drinking at work a guideline, not drinking until after homework is done is a rule/guideline.

I understand the point you are trying to make, and must respectfully disagree. I think that in setting these guidelines it will help me stay in check and help me identify red-flag behaviors . Debating whether or not to push by day of use even further . Thanks for all y'all's inputs

I'm officially pushing my day of use back to Tuesday. That will make it 10 days since my last dose. Today nothing to report. I hve the whole day off so will be exercising and relaxing. Getting some things in order for next semester but that's about it. I may acquire some Xanax for this evening (2-3 mgs). I'm not a huge benzo fan. I probably take them once every 2 months if that. Or I might not even get the Xanax and just have a few beers idk not to worried about it. Will report in tomorrow!

Sorry I haven't checked in. Life has been crazy. So I did use on my alloted days- today is day one of abstinence. I am pushing back to two weeks from now. I have noticed some red flags around heroin which scare me- such as fixation mentally on the drug, thinking to myself this is the absolute best thing in the world, as well as trying to hide it. Also school starts in a couple weeks and for the life of me I know there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to perform in school if I am addicted to dope(which is a risk I am taking here). So that being said I am cutting my use back to be safe. I think the longer time between uses the better. I will report back in every 3 or 4 days from now on. No need to report daily and if I stumble I will update why, my thought process etc. be safe everyone!

such as fixation mentally on the drug, thinking to myself this is the absolute best thing in the world, as well as trying to hide it.

Once the debate starts in the head, further use intensifies it.

You be safe as well and happy holidays!