View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Heroin addict gets life sentence for shoplifting

trainwreckmolly

Bluelighter
Oklahoma woman gets life sentence for shoplifting
March 21, 2009
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/n...nce_for_shoplifting/srvc=home&position=recent

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKLAHOMA CITY - An Oklahoma County judge has slapped an Oklahoma City woman with a life prison sentence after she shoplifted two purses.

District Judge Ray Elliott imposed the term on 56-year-old Cecilia Cathleen Rodriguez on Friday after learning she was a heroin addict whose history of theft-related crimes dates to 1971. Her arrest record shows convictions in California, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

Court records indicate that Rodriguez had pleaded guilty in January to grand larceny after being caught at a Dillard’s store stealing purses worth $275 and $380.

"It’s past time to say, ’Enough is enough.’ She needs to be warehoused for the rest of her life," Elliott said. "She’s a one-person crime wave."

Elliott also revoked Rodriguez’s probation in a 2000 larceny case, which effectively added 19 years to her life prison term.

Rodriguez’s attorney, Chris Daniels, said his client supported a drug habit through shoplifting and has never held a steady job. A presentencing report prepared for Elliott noted the Rodriguez cared for her mother and lived off of disability checks and food stamps.

In the report, a probation and parole officer wrote that Rodriguez’s "need to support her addition overpowers the remorse that she expresses for the crimes she has committed."

Rodriguez’s mother, 78-year-old Geneva Gabriel, said the judge’s decision was "all wrong" and that her daughter needed treatment for her drug addiction.

"She hasn’t done any violent crime," Gabriel said. "She has a problem. ... Prison’s not going to help her. She’s been in and out so many times. She’s a good girl. She just needs help. She has seizures."

It’s not the first time Rodriguez has been imprisoned for theft, and she also was sentenced for an assault in 1983, although Daniels said some of those crimes were committed by others using Rodriguez’s name.

Elliott called Rodriguez a "poster child" for why thieves should be sent to prison.

"We’ve got to do something," the judge said. "She’s costing every hard-working taxpayer in this state money because these businesses have to raise prices because thieves like her come and steal because, I guess, they’re too lazy to go to work."

Daniels said he would ask Elliott in a year to reduce Rodriguez’s sentence.

"It costs a ton of money to lock somebody up for that long," Daniels said.
765377432-Rodriguez.jpg

she will get out and the judge will probably get in trouble. the judgement will stand until the right people find out about it then it will all fall apart. its sad that they can impose those sentences in the first place and it takes fighting to get that shit overturned.

At the retail store I work at down here I helped one of the Loss Prevention workers bring in this lady and her mother who were stealing over 500 dollars worth of merchandise and when we checked her purse we found 3 bags of dope. The sad thing was that the lady with the dope brought her 8 year old daughter into the store...some people just don't think straight, which is why the government needs to seriously treat these addicts who commit crimes so that they can get their life together.

Serves her right?
That is pretty damn heartless, if you ask me.
She should be helped to quit her addiction and be forced to work in society - that would serve her right.

District Judge Ray Elliott
clearly has never dealt with addiction before & fails to understand how it works. Judge Ray Elliott would be more compassion for her fellow human beings after a little education on the topic im sure. Frankly, ive known addicts to cure their addiction using marijuana and suboxone in conjunction long term. USA law doesnt understand the morality of such situations & will prosecute heroin addicts for smoking marijuana & that is grade A retarded.

shes been living her whole life off stealing peoples shit and she should just have to do some stupid drug course and then get to keep doing it? Shes had her chances.. you know, the multiple times shes been arrested...?

Shes had her free-loading drug fuelled life, for 50 odd years.. and you know what? KARMA'S A BITCH.

especially to the closed hearted and those who fail to see their connection to their fellow (hu)man(s).

That is so true.
Those who can only point their fingers and blame her, without mercy or compassion, will get what's coming to them.
Addiction is an extremely difficult situation, and arguably a disease, so the gov should be helping her, not punishing her.

shes been living her whole life off stealing peoples shit and she should just have to do some stupid drug course and then get to keep doing it?

It's going to cost the public a lot more to keep her locked up for life 8)

And think about all that lost productivity and contribution to society she may give if she were able to overcome her addiction, rather than just throwing her in a cell. That's not even mentioning just having a basic amount of compassion and empathy for another person. Of course I don't agree with what she's done, she shouldn't steal, but I also don't think she should be locked up for life. I don't know what kind of sentence she should get, but that one just seems to have little benefits.

shes been living her whole life off stealing peoples shit and she should just have to do some stupid drug course and then get to keep doing it? Shes had her chances.. you know, the multiple times shes been arrested...?

Shes had her free-loading drug fuelled life, for 50 odd years.. and you know what? KARMA'S A BITCH.

I completely agree with the fact that some stupid drug course would not be an appropriate sentence, but that just highlights the larger failure within our system to treat addicts.

That's horrible I feel bad for her , they should have sent her to a long term in patient rehab 18+ months at least that would have helped address the route cause of her actions. I have a feeling this verdict will get over turned.

I'm of two minds on this. The sentence is way too harsh for the crime committed. On the other hand, this has been going on since the 70s.

Should she have been locked up? Yeah.

For life? Probably not.

Becoming addicted is not an accident. It's the result of bad choices. You don't use drugs, you don't get addicted. Fairly simple. I think she should probably have been given 5 years in a psychiatric facility. Addiction is a mental illness and should be treated as such. After 5 years of intensive therapy, and perhaps methadone or suboxone, if she really wanted to quit using, she could certainly manage it.

Put her in an extensive rehab treatment. Before that tattoo shoplifter on her forehead as well as "the cops watch me". This way when she goes into a store people will follow her and heroin dealers wont deal to her.

The latter comes from the ancient world where tattoos were the mark of the criminal and shop owners would watch for them, its meant to be taken as a joke. Honestly an extensive rehab cousiling and supervision would be nice. Its tough though, she has been stealing and living the life of the parasite for over 30 years. Its a question of when do you say enough is enough? I dont think life in prision is the correct action but its a difficult case to take.

Its gonna cost the public alot more? Umm no. If you realised how much these professional shoplifters stole you'd know that its probably alot CHEAPER to lock her up. These sorts of people can literally steal thousands of dollars of stuff in one day.

Maybe we should just legalize drugs, so that she wouldn't have to steal.
If she goes to her (govt-provided) job, then she gets her supply.
That would keep her productive, and keep the jails open for real criminals.

In the long run it would cost way more to house her than it would for a couple stupid desigener handbags.