Work Help me find a job

Got a job at Wendy's. Not ideal but it will definitely work for now.

what happened to solar panels?

Wendy's is OK, I could go for a bacon mushroom melt right now...

@ions, you could learn from this young go-getter. if you worked at Wendy's you could make some good money on the side selling special frosties out the drive thru window

what happened to solar panels?

Wendy's is OK, I could go for a bacon mushroom melt right now...

@ions, you could learn from this young go-getter. if you worked at Wendy's you could make some good money on the side selling special frosties out the drive thru window
It's still something I can do. It's basically just cold calls and the guy sent me some leads.

I'm going to sign onto Wendy's as a chili cooker. I'm bringing the peppers.
Get that small chili and put it on a baked potato.

I thought craigslist was kinda dead, but it's not. Lots of job postings in my city for various things, and lots of "under the table" type stuff.
Yeah I had looked. Once I get my license back I should have a lot more options.

You can move here and help me around the house. Clear snow, make sure i don't OD lol

Deal! We could take turns narcan-ing each other lol

i agree with just getting a job - any job - to get some money flowing and to get your brain and body moving.

applying for jobs in the traditional way is just tough. put yourself in the shoes of a hiring manager - how do you make it easier for them to find you rather than one of the other 200 people who applied for the same job?

you're going to have to work outside the box a little.

alasdair

One of the hardest part of getting a job if one hasn't worked in a while is the gaps in employment. If one has large gaps in ones recent job history the hiring individual might choose another candidate that has been working more steadily. One good way to overcome that stigma is to volunteer for a period of time at some type of institution like a hospital or school. Another is to have been "self employed" in some capacity during the lapses in employment. Often they will require proof by supplying references to prove that you were actually self employed; that is people and companies you supplied the fruits of your self employment as a contractor or vendor.

If you are over-qualified then omit that part from your resume, especially education wise. Each and every application and resume should be crafted for each job situation, don't use one generic resume for all applications. One simple statement that got me hired in when i really needed a job was to tell the interviewer that I was willing to do anything including sweeping floors. There are so many jobs out there it's not funny, the problem is that many don't really want to work, they just want to get a job and take a paycheck home. The solution is to come across as "the person" who will stick it though and perform the job. You will get hired eventually doing this... I've been on both sides of this situation here, that is, being hired and doing the hiring.

One of the hardest part of getting a job if one hasn't worked in a while is the gaps in employment. If one has large gaps in ones recent job history the hiring individual might choose another candidate that has been working more steadily. One good way to overcome that stigma is to volunteer for a period of time at some type of institution like a hospital or school. Another is to have been "self employed" in some capacity during the lapses in employment. Often they will require proof by supplying references to prove that you were actually self employer; that is people and companies you supplied the fruits of your self employment as a contractor or vendor.

If you are over-qualified then omit that part from your resume, especially education wise. Each and every application and resume should be crafted for each job situation, don't use one generic resume for all applications. One simple statement that got me hired in when i really needed a job was to tell the interviewer that I was willing to do anything including sweeping floors. There are so many jobs out there it's not funny, the problem is that many don't really want to work, they just want to get a job and take a paycheck home. The solution is to come across as "the person" who will stick it though and perform the job. You will get hired eventually doing this... I've been on both sides of this situation here, that is, being hired and doing the hiring.
Yeah the interview I did at Wendy's the manager was like "well we get a lot of drug users in the bathrooms making messes" and I was basically like "🤷 whatever I'll do anything" lol. It's true I've done some pretty degrading things for money so I give no fucks

One of the hardest part of getting a job if one hasn't worked in a while is the gaps in employment.

definitely. that's why it's especially important that you get past the first hurdle and put yourself in a position where you can talk to your skills and experience and address issues like that.

i've read that between 80% and 90% of resumes don't make it past a cursory first screening. i get it - i've hired before and had people spell the name of the company incorrectly. no chance.

if you can get yourself past the first screening you've already increased your chances of landing an interview from 10% or 20% to 80% or 90%.

alasdair

At this point, I've been unemployed so long that I'm starting to go crazy. I don't have a license, so can't really commute, but am currently living in a fairly big enough city that you would think it would be easy enough to get a job. I can't get my license back until I have a good enough job to pay for insurance, to register and inspect my car, and to reinstate my license. I should have some temporary disability coming through soon, but that really won't be enough to pay for all that insurance I'm gonna owe monthly. I've had multiple job interviews for jobs I'm incredibly overqualified for. Yes I've applied to Amazon. Have applied to Domino's. Nothing. Tried with staffing companies.

Idk I'm really spinning my wheels and on the verge of giving up on everything. Any bright ideas? Maybe there's some kind of work from home thing I could get into. I really am just incredibly frustrated at this point and beginning to just hate life and everything about it, I have no freedom or independence because of this and I just can't get back on my feet. Literally it's easier to panhandle or busk than to get an actual job. No one's hiring.

Any ideas welcome.
Build a paper trail of mental health issues like depression, anxiety, agoraphobia, chronic homelessness, etc "don't mention drugs" check yourself into the psych ward once or twice with psychotic or suicidal behaviors, get all record's and paperwork and some people who will vouch for you and say you've had these issues for a long time then get a disability lawyer and get on disability for mental health reasons.
A fixed income is nice. Then invest in some tools, equipment, electronics, a vehicle and do odd jobs under the table here and there for extra cash.
Then buy some chemistry equipment and synth your own 2-CB, DMT, Amphetamines and isomerize CBD to Delta 8 9 and 10 via reflux in citric/HCl acid.
I've been panhandling and living in a solar powered pallet house down the tracks behind a factory for a long time before I decided disability would be best. I had everything I needed, had air-conditioning and heaters in my pallet house that ran off a generator. It was a nice setup. Been in lots of tents and couches and shelters and vans.
Also owned property, business, college graduate, stepdad, multiple Jobs etc. The stress of living the way people think I should live was to much
I've seen so many people do everything right then lose everything to cancer, divorce, unexpected legal problems, health problems, old age etc. theirs something to be said for security and stability though. That's the goal people aim for but fail to realize that more responsibility, more property, more image to maintain, more expectations= more stress.
A fixed income traps you at one level but it also frees you from the bull shit of the mundane lifestyle that everyone is so afraid to deviate from. They are terrified of being homeless. When in reality you're home free. Free to go anywhere and do anything.
Do what's right for you not what society believes is right for you and that doesn't make you any less of a person than they are. You got the gumption to do what you want and live freely with an open mind.
Different States and city's have different cultures. Maybe a red state isn't working so try a blue state or go west or east or wherever. The country is nice too depending on where it is.
I got on disability, started chemistry as a hobby " I've studied in college too" , work under the table, travel to go to festivals and raves, "high tech minimal scene" , buy CBD in bulk cheap and convert it to THC, and trip and listen to music loud and sleep all day if I want to and anyone who's got an opinion about what I do can take it to the bank cause I'm finally getting a chance to just live without worrying about survival and pleasing people and pissing in cups etc.
I could get diagnosed with a terminal illness tomorrow. I want to make a interesting story in the book of life. Something entertaining, educational, funny and something I can live with for eternity. Something the gods would find interesting and unique. Not the same go to work, hate life, eat, sleep repeat bs they see everyday.

Have a 'base' resume which you tailor slightly to appeal to different employers and yeah - any job to begin with as easier to go from job to job as opposed to from unemployed to employed

I think cold calling can get great results thesedays as nobody really does that anymore? - you can get lucky with postions yet to be advertised etc

Younger family member was recently struggling to get hospitality work as 100's applicants per position, so they dropped off a resume at 30 places and had 3 offers in a week