Work Help me find a job

deficiT

Sr. Moderator: NSADD, DC, & TDS
Staff member
At this point, I've been unemployed so long that I'm starting to go crazy. I don't have a license, so can't really commute, but am currently living in a fairly big enough city that you would think it would be easy enough to get a job. I can't get my license back until I have a good enough job to pay for insurance, to register and inspect my car, and to reinstate my license. I should have some temporary disability coming through soon, but that really won't be enough to pay for all that insurance I'm gonna owe monthly. I've had multiple job interviews for jobs I'm incredibly overqualified for. Yes I've applied to Amazon. Have applied to Domino's. Nothing. Tried with staffing companies.

Idk I'm really spinning my wheels and on the verge of giving up on everything. Any bright ideas? Maybe there's some kind of work from home thing I could get into. I really am just incredibly frustrated at this point and beginning to just hate life and everything about it, I have no freedom or independence because of this and I just can't get back on my feet. Literally it's easier to panhandle or busk than to get an actual job. No one's hiring.

Any ideas welcome.

You're absolutely right that hiring during the holidays is a shit show so don't feel bad if nothing comes through. A lot of people are looking for someone extremely specific to fill a need and already have a packed roster.

You'll shine through talking about something you're passionate about so my advice would be to narrow the job type focus, but widen the reach of the net.

Use a cover letter, good buzzwords as lots of AI are now weeding through resumes, and on the interview not sure I can't help there as I actually suck on interviews but again, you'll shine through if it's something you care about

Also me saying "passion" doesn't have to encompass every aspect of the org. Could be simple

Last edited:
Thought about in home caretaker in your area?
Never seen this coming and there are pitfalls but if there is time and patience may be worth looking into.
Big demand for them but most of em crooks..no offense to anyone I just feel like it shouldn't be so in a "caring" field.
My best
J

Thought about in home caretaker in your area?
Never seen this coming and there are pitfalls but if there is time and patience may be worth looking into.
Big demand for them but most of em crooks..no offense to anyone I just feel like it shouldn't be so in a "caring" field.
My best
J
Thought about it, but I'm just not really any good at shit like that I feel.

Do you have a computer? Are you interested in computers at all? Learning to code is a reasonable way forward. Chatgpt can help generate code as well. You can set up website or get work writing code
I do. I started to learn how to code briefly, but went into detox and didn't finish.

At this point, I've been unemployed so long that I'm starting to go crazy. I don't have a license, so can't really commute, but am currently living in a fairly big enough city that you would think it would be easy enough to get a job. I can't get my license back until I have a good enough job to pay for insurance, to register and inspect my car, and to reinstate my license. I should have some temporary disability coming through soon, but that really won't be enough to pay for all that insurance I'm gonna owe monthly. I've had multiple job interviews for jobs I'm incredibly overqualified for. Yes I've applied to Amazon. Have applied to Domino's. Nothing. Tried with staffing companies.

Idk I'm really spinning my wheels and on the verge of giving up on everything. Any bright ideas? Maybe there's some kind of work from home thing I could get into. I really am just incredibly frustrated at this point and beginning to just hate life and everything about it, I have no freedom or independence because of this and I just can't get back on my feet. Literally it's easier to panhandle or busk than to get an actual job. No one's hiring.

Any ideas welcome.
Have you tried applying at a supermarket? They're ALWAYS hiring. It's a shit job, and the salary is mediocre at best but hey, it's a steady paycheck.

I think the best way to learn is to come up with a project that you want to make, something that would interest you. A good example at the intersection of programming and harm reduction is the combination tool here. All sites take programming and the dynamic tools like that take learning logic. You can also write python scripts, you could make a tool that does anything you want pretty easily in python

You can even use chatgpt to get suggestions and help you get started. Gpt4 is better but the free version is definitely a good start for generating code and ideas

Thought about it, but I'm just not really any good at shit like that I feel.
Probably surprise yourself. Felt the same and clients always praise me to the higher ups.
I give what I would expect to be given. This is all I found that is required. Kind of common sense stuff i do not bathe people maybe knee down and drying a back.
Just a thought, brother.
Get moving the time is right. I see this in your posts.
Hope to come back and see job is in hand soon.

Any ideas welcome.

alright so ive been down this road myself a few times, and when i applied for jobs that i was overqualified for, they absolutely NEVER called me back - i mean NEVER

so stop wasting your time with those - they're not gonna call you back - shoot higher - and don't let those menial jobs discourage you - it's just the way it is

i know you asked me about moving out here and whether it would be a good idea, and i dont remember if i answered you on that, but i'd probably say no because its so expensive here now compared to when i did it 25 years ago - so i'd look for another city that had a good cost of living compared to pay - and this city isn't one of them

but don't get discouraged by those shit jobs that aren't calling you back - i know it can discourage you as it did me - but they're not calling you back because you are overqualified

just keep diggin

or sell drugs :cool:

I dunno how much has changed since i've used it but Rev was good WFH gig work -

I've heard Mechanical Turk is also good -

There's also a couple of survey taking sites like Swagbucks.

These will pay less than min wage, but it's still cash flow and you can get into it right now.

Staffing agencies is probably your best way to a permanent position, but not all are created equal. If you're looking for white collar work then you might not have any luck with an agency that specializes in local businesses.

If you are looking for white collar work then it largely depends on who you know. Blind applying is just not effective anymore, more often than not you'll get immediately disqualified by the ATS (e.g. Workday, Taleo). ATS is like the castle gates, designed more to keep the rabble out than to let people in.

If you don't have a strong network then your best option is third-party recruiters. Those guys will get you past all the application BS and to the interview phase. The interview phase is where you want to be as much as possible, because talking to humans means you're seriously being considered as a candidate.

Do you have a computer? Are you interested in computers at all? Learning to code is a reasonable way forward. Chatgpt can help generate code as well. You can set up website or get work writing code

Very well paid too. I know someone who taught himself coding at age 40 and he's now making 120k a year plus bonuses. Plus it gives you the freedom to essentially become freelance/work for yourself.

Also @deficiT i don't know where you are based US i presume. But here in the UK the local job centres now have jobs they can set you up with that are working from home from the computer. I wonder if where you are might have something similar.

Ah yea I forgot. Just sell crack, the obvious choice
Is what oil and pharma chose. :shrug: Last time I looked they had monopolized the board and we do not have a foot to stand on.
Maybe in jail.... Psst, lost nothing there. FT even though I do and did have a chance with the big boys. Rather I had taxable income and a sense of not having to go behind bars and see my loves pay the price.

Tldr
Not a valid option, imo/e.

best money from what i've seen in latest years, as a male in a now predominated female job realm.. would be a simple driver. Van/truck = truck 30+/van -30% money

exemplary diagram :

1000 euro = truck + daily payment 1200

700 eur = 840.

if not, try and be hand of a chief at a traditional food restaurant or something similar, those with traditional often have more respect in their workplace vs a random fast food/pizza place. These 2 are what most with who I spoke in all my life years try to because all other blue-collar jobs seem useless. Construction sites aren't available during winter, so on.

I dunno how much has changed since i've used it but Rev was good WFH gig work -

I've heard Mechanical Turk is also good -

There's also a couple of survey taking sites like Swagbucks.

These will pay less than min wage, but it's still cash flow and you can get into it right now.

Staffing agencies is probably your best way to a permanent position, but not all are created equal. If you're looking for white collar work then you might not have any luck with an agency that specializes in local businesses.

If you are looking for white collar work then it largely depends on who you know. Blind applying is just not effective anymore, more often than not you'll get immediately disqualified by the ATS (e.g. Workday, Taleo). ATS is like the castle gates, designed more to keep the rabble out than to let people in.

If you don't have a strong network then your best option is third-party recruiters. Those guys will get you past all the application BS and to the interview phase. The interview phase is where you want to be as much as possible, because talking to humans means you're seriously being considered as a candidate.
Thanks. Yeah rev said the wait for my application would be 4-12 weeks. Mturk or whatever said it'd be a few business days. Hopefully they both work out, that'd probably be something to at least help me get by for a second.

I applied to 1000+ jobs in 2013. And a job here and there since then. But after very few call backs for chemical industry and teaching jobs I gave up.
I've applied to MAPS as well, the libertarian party, and a few uni's for research professor.
But without that actual diploma, it's tough. I have my B.S. Chem but they for sure know that my prior advisor had me blacklisted.
They must know something is up with a huge gap of unemployment.
But anyway, find a way to spend less and that'll make the amount of money you need lower.
I've been unemployed since 2009 but keep busy. Distilling. Music. Baking. Gardening. Writing. Bluelight.
Something may come.
I would love nothing short of buying a bar/kitchen/housing unit so Bluelighters can make a pilgrimage to ions home arena.
Then there are investments I have in BTC and Precious metals and Pot. Those may increase in value when the dollar collapses.
But really you have an economy where the dollar is at an all time low in terms of purchasing power. And inflation is running away.
So 14 years of unemployment, you go crazy, so I tell people I'm a consultant and I study the mind.
If you find yourself in a spot where you can charge a person for your time, simply say, I charge. And explain that speech is free, but time is money.
Independent contractors and businessmen. I am working to better all those of my family and friends social circle to prosperous.