Positive Help and advice: getting off Heroin in the UK

skyHiGuy

Bluelighter
[edit 11/1/20 I am now clean of an 8 month habit low dose 100mg daily. Wds not easy though q to others manageable without support - big thanks to the excellent help and advice from people here)
I need advice.
Started with Oxys then moved to Heroin. Using 3 to 4 lines sniffed daily which I figure is about 100mg a day.
I buy off an online vendor. Quality has been constant for 8 months I've been using.

I want to stop.
I am not in an environment where other use so no peer pressure

I've done some research and figure these are my options:
1. Let my GP know the problem and go into detox with the NHS. This transfers the addiction to Methadone. Which is tapered under supervision.
Pros:
I will need to only take one hit a day
I will function better
I am supervised officially (also a con)
Cons
Transferring one addiction to another
Need to go to the Chemist/GP daily?
On my record
Withdrawal from Methadone is worse than H

2. I taper off heroin myself with support from my GF/Use a timed lockbox to space out the hits
Pros
I tell my GF (also Con)
No official involvement
Reduced withdrawal symptoms as I wean off (Is this true?)
Cons
Need a lot of discipline
Long process (1 Month +)

3. Cold Turkey
Pros
Its Quick

Cons
It's hard (How bad will it be with this habit?)

Any advice really appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Do it cold turkey. 0.1 a day Is fuck all.
Going on methadone for that is just daft.
0.1 split into 4? U wild man lol

Last edited:
Do it cold turkey. 0.1 a day Is fuck all.
Going on methadone for that is just daft.
0.1 split into 4? U wild man lol

That's really encouraging thanks!
I have no idea what to expect. Apart from the worst.

Thank fuck for this site for people who know stuff 👍

Just a further question.
What's cold turkey gonna be like quitting a 100mg a day snort habit?

Will be about as mild a cold turkey as you could get mate. Very low dose and not over a very long time.

I was 20 hours off I've last weekend. So not long enough. I have read day 3 is the Peak though haven't got there yet. 20 Hours was just uncomfortable.
I was nervous about continuing due to upcoming work  and cowardly Ness 😅😁

Coz of work I'll wait to quit till the Xmas break and post the experience. There's little info about mild withdrawal so may be useful for others

It varies from person to person. Some can just handle it better than others.
When I was in the early days of use it seemed cold turkey was bad but it was nothing compared to what it became after nearly 20 years of using. It became engrained into my soul. To be fair though that was using a couple bags a day and methadone too, oh ye and crack😂 still quit it all though and drink and don’t even smoke anymore.
Get ur head right and go into it determined and u be fine

Thanks so much Soso
Your posts have taken a weight off my shoulder (Possibly a monkey off my back too:)

Will let you know what happens

After nearly 20 years... quit it all though and drink and don’t even smoke anymore.
Get ur head right and go into it determined and u be fine

That's quite a story. Must have been unimaginably tough.

I'm 60yo and have dabbled like a teenager in allsorts most of my life, for the experience, and life's rich tapestry, but apart from booze and nicotine never habitually... Till now.

It is scary now thinking about H a lot of the day.

Yeah cold turkey that, if it really is only 100mg/day snorted. It will be much easier to step off of than methadone, which has a much longer half-life compared to H, so acute withdrawal will be closer to 2+ weeks rather than 4-7 days.

If you aren't getting seriously dope sick after 15-20 hrs, it probably won't be much worse than a flu.

Immodium and electrolyte drinks can help with the diarrhea and dehydration. Epsom salt baths can help a little with the restless legs. Melatonin, ashwaganda, chamomile tea, etc, can help with relaxation and getting sleep at night.

I'd suggest coming clean to your gf either way, if she is the type to be understanding, as having support of loved ones can make a world of difference with the emotional struggle. She can also be there to provide maybe 1-3 "emergency doses", which would be maybe 50mg or less- just enough to take the edge off if things get intense, not enough to get you high. spaced 12-24hrs apart, aiming to not use them if possible.

Melatonin, ashwaganda, chamomile tea, etc, can help with relaxation and getting sleep at night

Thanks for advice.
(I note you don't mention things like benzos booze or weed for relaxation.)

Ive been consciously trying to taper for past month. I buy 2g and note in calendar the day I start the batch. When I started recording, 2g lasted 20 days. I'm now on day 17 and still have 500mg left. Just from keeping lines smaller (eye-balled)

I also note down the time of day I sniff a line. I try and go longer between lines and manage OK apart from when I really need to be on the ball for work/social.

That's really brought it home, the need to be using H to function best. No other drug apart from caffeine has ever been necessary to function well.

Which really freaked me. I am feeling much better having started this thread. And that due to Soso and mafioso.

What gets me is how bad and scary information is out there on the Web from orgs trying to tout their rehab program and even the NHS with only Methadone as the way out.

I half mentioned I have an issue to my gf in that we were taking about addiction generally and I mentioned I am having a problem with opiods. I will follow this up ahead of jumping off on 18 December when I stop working for 3 weeks.

I plan one final purchase of 2g to eek out till that date. If I have any left by then I'll ask her to hold it for emergency use.

I plan one final purchase of 2g to eek out till that date. If I have any left by then I'll ask her to hold it for emergency use.

This... Tells me everything. Your not gonna make it with a some bullshit like that.

I was 20 hours off H last week. Had to go deliver a course so need to normalise myself.

Over Xmas I have 3 weeks off work
I've tapering down for over a month and will continue

Last edited:
Development and piloting sport coaching courses. Training the trainers

Which I can't do if I am dopesick, can I? 😅

Last edited:
I must admit the quality of my work has been slightly affected since I got this habit. I can function but at about 80% which is another reason I want out of this