Heads Up and Member Feedback - Your opinions on the future of the site :)

Also, I think maybe a list of "never do this" or "frequent no-nos for newbies" would be helpful. A lot of times the initial rules of the board are tied up in a lot of verbage that people tend to scan instead of read, and agree to so they can just move on and become a part of the community. It would probably be a good idea to make a list of forbidden acts or topics so that people don't get booted quickly for not being as excited about reading all of the stuff to become a member as they are to become a member, does that make sense?

PopTSom said:
Also, I think maybe a list of "never do this" or "frequent no-nos for newbies" would be helpful. A lot of times the initial rules of the board are tied up in a lot of verbage that people tend to scan instead of read, and agree to so they can just move on and become a part of the community. It would probably be a good idea to make a list of forbidden acts or topics so that people don't get booted quickly for not being as excited about reading all of the stuff to become a member as they are to become a member, does that make sense?

Well, when it comes to finding out what you shouldn't and shouldn't do in a forum, I would think one would actually read through instead of perform a skim and scam of the rules if one is truly interested.

Rogue Robot said:
Well, when it comes to finding out what you shouldn't and shouldn't do in a forum, I would think one would actually read through instead of perform a skim and scam of the rules if one is truly interested.
I understand, you would think that. Most people would think that. But I am not talking about myself, I am talking about a lot of others I know that complain about being booted from forums. Not this one - political, religious, etc. and the common problem is they did not read what they were not supposed to do. I was just trying to offer up a suggestion, why I think they don't is because they are so excited to get on with participating they skip all of the reading. Do you read all of the stuff you agree to online, or is your tendency just to click the "I Agree" button to get on with it? Say, you get a new iPod, do you actually read all of the stuff Apple wants for you to agree to, or do you just agree so you can use your iPod? I think nowadays, with all of the online agreements people just tend to agree so that they can move on. I also think if there was a specific list of things that would get people kicked off of the forum, they might go read that before they post.
I am not trying to be a problem, or God forbid, argue with a moderator, I hope you understand, just trying to be helpful, and if this is not helpful, then please just ignore. I really am only trying to help, but if I have failed I don't want to make anyone, especially a moderator upset ... understand what I'm saying? I hope so, cuz I am kind of afraid to hit "submit" on this one, but I'll do it because I think there is some value to it - not because I am arguing with you or trying to pick a fight with you or anyone else, ok? ;)

PopTSom said:
I understand, you would think that. Most people would think that. But I am not talking about myself, I am talking about a lot of others I know that complain about being booted from forums. Not this one - political, religious, etc. and the common problem is they did not read what they were not supposed to do. I was just trying to offer up a suggestion, why I think they don't is because they are so excited to get on with participating they skip all of the reading. Do you read all of the stuff you agree to online, or is your tendency just to click the "I Agree" button to get on with it? Say, you get a new iPod, do you actually read all of the stuff Apple wants for you to agree to, or do you just agree so you can use your iPod? I think nowadays, with all of the online agreements people just tend to agree so that they can move on. I also think if there was a specific list of things that would get people kicked off of the forum, they might go read that before they post.
I am not trying to be a problem, or God forbid, argue with a moderator, I hope you understand, just trying to be helpful, and if this is not helpful, then please just ignore. I really am only trying to help, but if I have failed I don't want to make anyone, especially a moderator upset ... understand what I'm saying? I hope so, cuz I am kind of afraid to hit "submit" on this one, but I'll do it because I think there is some value to it - not because I am arguing with you or trying to pick a fight with you or anyone else, ok? ;)

I actually do read them because I don't want to be legally bound to some righteous bullshit. :)

kudos to you, wise one!

Rogue Robot said:
I actually do read them because I don't want to be legally bound to some righteous bullshit. :)

That is really smart of you, and that wisdom probably helped you become a moderator. But I am talking about the "average joe". I bet if you took a poll about who reads those agreements and legaleese (sp?) and who just skips them to be able to use the product they want, probably the larger percentage of bluelighters skip the contracts and click "I agree" on the majority of things that have those downloads. I will bet you a brand new iPod in fact, so that when I win, I will read the contract this time, LOL!!! ;)

PopTSom said:
we're actually working on something that might help this.

but the only people that get booted quickly from bluelight are spammers or returning trolls. everyone else, we show more patience. :)

could we change the word "report" to "dob".

so instead of reporting someone, we dob on them, and then we can be like dobbers!

Last round of forum groupings to discuss:

Australia & Asia
  • Australian Drug Discussion
  • Australian Social
  • Australian Events

Europe & Africa
  • European Drug Discussion
  • European Events

North & South America
  • North American Drug Discussion
  • North American Social
  • North American Events

Now, we know AusEvents is merging into AusSoc, that's already in process per this earlier discussion. And from what's been shared here and kicked amongst staff, it looks like the C&U content will be pushed out to the regional social forums. Anyone with brainstorming ideas on things we could do to improve any of the rest of these regional forums?

I know some of the NA Events sections have restricted posting, primarily this was an effort to make the place more readable (and searchable), and while this brings the occasional "Why can't I post?" question (to which the answer is "Why can't you read the sticky" 8) )... overall it seems to be working well. Though, I imagine the mods would be open to hearing how things are working out for the members in this regard. Do the NA Events need more regions, less regions?

Is it finally time for that EADD split to create EASocial and EADD-proper? Should NA consider the opposite...merging their Social and DD forums?

Content wise should we make an effort to push more threads from regional DD's over to the respective focus forums, or are there ideas for more 'sharing' of content from other areas that would improve any of these regional sections? And here, we'd appreciate more than just a 'yeah' or a 'nah, that sucks'....some ideas on HOW to do it would be helpful :)

And, so it isn't lost in this 'last round' of discussions...

BLUELIGHT HISTORY
  • Best of Bluelight
  • Shrine
  • Harm Reduction
  • General Archives

GALLERY
JOURNAL

I don't know that there's much to be talked about regarding the BL HISTORY grouping, but to ignore it would be unfair - you've got your shot to speak up on that section as well. For example, the HR section - is it worth reviving, moving, revamping in a different way?

Before the questions flood in here on JOURNAL and GALLERY, the answer is we're looking into the options available for our next upgrade. Those two current packages are add-ons, so they are a bit clunky and not ideally integrated with the site (ala, no profile links to run over and see someone's gallery or journal :\ ). We're trying some built in functions that might handle this...but we're not settled yet on the upgraded versions of these add-ons or the built in stuff. Still, your complaints and suggestions can be offered here for us to keep in mind while evaluating our course of action.

Aaaaannnnd, the last thing - wiki. We've long sought a way to build a wiki that is integrated into the site (to update our FAQs, and make things more commonly accessible to the DD and FF forums as well as the regional DD forums, and increase our information offering to the world at large)....BUT, we're still not all that happy with the options we've been looking at thus far. We do have a sample of this in progress within the staff forum, but until we've got the kinks worked out, we're not unleashing it on the public. Just a little carrot out there for you of something for the future <3

Thumbs up/Thumbs down on posts for certain forums would be nice. This way you can weed out the shitty replies (like in OD for example) by majority opinion.

^ Shitty replies are best dealt with by a clear argument of the facts. The majority opinion is not always right. In fact, often on Bluelight (and unfortunately Other Drugs suffers from this) the truth claims of a post are judged on the popularity of the person posting and not on the facts.

Flexistentialist said:
^ Shitty replies are best dealt with by a clear argument of the facts. The majority opinion is not always right. In fact, often on Bluelight (and unfortunately Other Drugs suffers from this) the truth claims of a post are judged on the popularity of the person posting and not on the facts.

I read 90% of the posts in Other Drugs and I don't observe that happening. Can you give some examples?

For the record, we are entertaining some thread rating systems, but may not roll them out at the time of migration. Also, we may restrict who can rate things in an effort to avoid the popularity contests.

A bluelight member rating system should be in order....

:|

i used to post to a board which has a karma shit and it sucks. people abuse it, buddies always vote each other, normal users who have no friends will get a bad karma soon even tho they post good posts, random people ask you to vote his/her post via pm etc imo its useless and people will abuse it

i would like the new mods of forums to have to do a virtual version of those embarrassing "say a bit about yourself " introduction things you have to do when you starting any kind of new job and include your basic background in all relevant to that forum experience. Also why you were chosen and what bribes you are accepting.

I dont want my name changed but Id be cool with getting my original join date back and my post count set to "lots " . Got $ for my birthday !

Last edited: