• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Head of DEA slams Obama for saying marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol

Congressmen: DEA Administrator 'Completely Incompetent,' Should 'Assume a Japanese Posture and Resign'

Widemodern_DEA_140127620x413.jpg

Drug Enforcement Administration leader Michele Leonhart, right, reportedly got a standing ovation Jan. 22 after she criticized President Barack Obama during a closed-door meeting in Washington, D.C.

Marijuana activists are calling on President Barack Obama to fire Drug Enforcement Administration leader Michele Leonhart for insubordination after she denounced the president's opinion that marijuana is less dangerous to consume than alcohol.

Some law enforcement leaders are rushing to Leonhart's defense, but two congressmen who favor reforming marijuana laws tell U.S. News they are fed up with the DEA administrator.

Rep. Jared Polis, D-Colo., says in his dealings with Leonhart he has "found her to be completely incompetent and unknowledgeable."

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., says for Leonhart, "the honorable thing to do would be to assume a Japanese posture and resign," referring to self-imposed accountability for failure by corporate and political leaders in Japan.

[RELATED: Sen. Sessions Makes Lady Gaga Poster Child For Pot Addiction]

"The fact that she was hired was a mistake, the fact that she contradicted the president was a mistake and insubordination," Cohen says. "If he terminated her it would be appropriate."

Both Polis and Cohen tried – and failed – to get Leonhart to say during a June 2012 committee hearing that marijuana is less harmful than crack or heroin. She told Polis such a comparison would be "subjective" and told Cohen marijuana was an "insidious" drug.

The next DEA administrator "ought to be in tune with what the president believes, which is that marijuana is no worse than alcohol," Cohen says. "This is going to be looked upon in 10 or 20 years as the dark ages and it is the dark ages - we have someone who needs corrective vision surgery."

Leonhart served as acting administrator of the DEA from 2007 to 2010, when she was appointed by Obama as administrator and confirmed by the Senate.

[READ: Kofi Annan Urges 'Rising Up' Against Drug Prohibition]

Obama told The New Yorker in an interview published days before Leonhart's Jan. 22 speech, "I don't think [marijuana] is more dangerous than alcohol." He said marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol "in terms of its impact on the individual consumer."

Leonhart condemned the president's remarks – as well as White House staff playing softball after-hours with a team of pro-pot activists – during a speech at the annual meeting of the Major County Sheriffs' Association in Washington, D.C., the Boston Herald first reported Saturday.

Fewer than 100 people were in the room for Leonhart's speech, MCSA President Donny Youngblood tells U.S. News.

Youngblood says "her talk was inspiring" because "law enforcement across the country were shocked by the president's comments. We all felt it was irresponsible."

[FORECAST: Marijuana May Win the West (and D.C.) in 2014]

Leonhart's speech "was very well-received by the sheriffs," says Youngblood, the sheriff of Kern County, Calif. "I think she's a pretty savvy lady. ... It should not [result in her firing]."

Spokespeople for the DEA will neither confirm nor deny Leonhart's reported remarks, in which she also reportedly said the lowest point in her 33-year career was when a hemp flag flew above the U.S. Capitol on July 4. The Capitol Flag Office raised that flag following a request from Polis.

The White House did not respond to requests for comment on Leonhart's remarks.

The Marijuana Policy Project launched a Change.org petition Monday calling for Obama to fire Leonhart. As of Wednesday, it had received more than 20,000 signatures.

The Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association leapt to Leonhart's defense Tuesday, saying in a press release MPP members – "perhaps while under the influence of a mind altering substance" – decided to "trample on the Administrator's freedom of speech – a Constitutional right – while trumpeting their new-found Colorado freedom to get high in public and spread the stench of their smoke."

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...t-should-assume-a-japanese-posture-and-resign

Fire Anti-Marijuana DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart!

kIEATiGgtPvokbR-556x313-noPad.jpg

In a recent speech, DEA administrator Michele Leonhart criticized President Barack Obama for his acknowledgement that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol in terms of its impact on the consumer. Yet there is an abundance of research demonstrating that marijuana is in fact less harmful than alcohol.

Leonhart has consistently demonstrated a reckless disregard of such scientific evidence. Under her watch, the DEA has obstructed attempts to remove marijuana from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act — a classification reserved for the most dangerous drugs — and at a 2012 House committee hearing, she refused to answer a congressman’s simple question about whether heroin and crack cocaine pose more harm to the consumer than marijuana.

Shortly after taking office, President Obama mandated, “Science and the scientific process must inform and guide decisions of [his] Administration …” Whether Leonhart is ignorant of the facts or intentionally disregarding them, she has fundamentally undermined the president’s directive and is clearly unfit for her current position.

We call on President Obama to immediately terminate DEA Administrator Leonhart and replace her with someone who recognizes the fact that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol.

To:
President Barack Obama
In a recent speech, DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart publicly criticized you for acknowledging the fact that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol in terms of its impact on the consumer. In addition to her insubordinate comments, her agency has denied attempts to remove marijuana from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act — a classification reserved for the most dangerous drugs — and refused to answer a congressman’s simple question about whether heroin and crack cocaine pose more harm to the consumer than marijuana.

Administrator Leonhart has fundamentally undermined your 2009 mandate that, “Science and the scientific process must inform and guide decisions of [his] Administration …” We call on you to remove her from her current position of DEA administrator and replace her with someone who will base his or her decisions on science and evidence instead of politics and ideology.
Sincerely,
[Your name]

with 20,777 supporters

http://www.change.org/petitions/pre...-marijuana-dea-administrator-michele-leonhart

They should start taking a technocratic approach to these agencies. Don't hire a career law enforcement officer to be the head of the DEA. That's what agents are for. Leonhart isn't a doctor, a sociologist, a psychologist, a toxicologist, or an expert of any kind. She's a cop. Her opinion on the matter is worth about the same as her opinion on climate change.

Both Polis and Cohen tried – and failed – to get Leonhart to say during a June 2012 committee hearing that marijuana is less harmful than crack or heroin. She told Polis such a comparison would be "subjective" and told Cohen marijuana was an "insidious" drug.

There's nothing subjective about scientific research! Scientists go to great lengths to remain as objective as possible :X

The next DEA administrator "ought to be in tune with what the president believes, which is that marijuana is no worse than alcohol," Cohen says.

And the president, in turn, must be in tune with public opinion... not to mention actually basing his decisions on scientific findings, instead of just saying he will.

These lying liars are making me thirsty. Someone who doesn't have my email REALLY needs to send this to these criminals with a big cup of sperm and STFU.

MGS, Thank you for posting the links, and for emailing, look at the studies, look at the plant and literally anyone with a working fucking brain ( and not with whatever money/power fueled bullshit shes spewing about cannabis) can see that marijuana is an amazing gift from nature with countless medicinal/entheogenic/regreational/industrial uses. Fuck her and her bullshit ideals... I honestly dont see how she i allowed to run the DEA and doesn't even know the first thing about cannabis, or if she does than she is acting as if she literally knows only the propaganda bullshit the DEA says about many drugs, weed being the worst. Ugh at least the people in the US are finally doing soething to try, but I wonder how the 2 recreational states can last if our DEA stays this way or the other way around... The DEA needs to make arrests/ seize crop/ etc and the fuckin drug war will end (their fight against MJ takes up alot of the DEA's time and funding) if it isnt illegal anymore, and then why would we need the DEA anymore?

Is this the same head of the DEA who once claimed she believes marijuana was created by the Devil?
Maybe I'm thinking of someone different.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was, but I don't know.

She seems to have some serious issues with cannabis -

Bitch on a power trip.
I have a feeling she won't be in the position to make these comments for much longer.

why would we need the DEA anymore?

Once coca and poppy production are staples in the US, the DEA would serve to stop the flow of bootleg poppy and coca products into the USA. Corner the market and control it (with transparency, not covertly, and where the aim is not to put citizens of this great country in prisons for profit.)

They keep their jobs, while stopping competitors from using these crops to fund competitors/enemies of the US who engage in human trafficking/religious fundamentalism, etc.

Now that is sensible drug policy!

Of course I wouldn't trust the bastages to do any of this.

I don't know if I've mentioned it on this site... But Drug Enforcement Administration doesn't even make sense to me. Are they enforcing drugs? I mean I know what they mean but it doesn't really make sense does it?

No. None of it makes sense. The science, the obvious failure, the whole drug war is a farce. Remember, "there's too much money in it" - that's what the real problem is.

at times I ask myself if these people are ACTUALLY convinced of the steaming pile of bullcrap they talk about, or they just say this stuff to justify the bullcrap anti-drug laws of their state.
because really, you just CAN'T believe alcohol is less dangerous than marijuana. I'm not one of those annoying stoners that tell you how much of an harmless plant cannabis is, how it will cure cancer and 201239032 useless facts about marijuana, but really it's blatantly obvious that pot is way less dangerous than alcohol period.

I don't know if I've mentioned it on this site... But Drug Enforcement Administration doesn't even make sense to me. Are they enforcing drugs? I mean I know what they mean but it doesn't really make sense does it?

Funny you should say that. The other day I was telling my brother about the DEA/Sinaloa Cartel scandal, and he was like, "that doesn't surprise me. They're the Drug Enforcement Agency, they enforce the drugs."

A source told the Herald Leonhart may lose her job over the comments, but a spokesperson made an attempt to clarify them in an email to the Huffington Post.
'With regards to the Herald story, I think its important to clarify that the Administrator's remarks were not at against the President, as the story portrays, but continued messages that the DEA is not in support of legalization -- and neither is the Administration.
It has nothing to do with her speaking out against the president. It is about her ignoring scientific facts and the will of the American people.She is willing to destroy countless people's lifes/futures all because she is worried they will loose an easy source of income and allot of federal funding to their department.

"Law enforcement around the country was shocked by the presidents comments. We all thought it was irresponsible"

Leave it up to COPS to say that it is irresponsible to publicly share scientific facts. 8)