• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Have you ever wondered how much illegal drugs cost? Here's your chance.

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Inside Silk Road's drug market: U.S. pot and cocaine are cheap

131008144911-gram-price-of-pot-620xa.png

Last week, the FBI busted the Silk Road website, a massive black market that specialized in the anonymous sale of drugs. But a month before the feds shut down the highly secretive network, a computer savvy Australian startup called The Price Geek harvested data on the two most popular items for sale on Silk Road: cocaine and marijuana.

The Price Geek prides itself in being the go-to website to find the price of anything. So, naturally, illicit drugs seemed like a good fit.

Marijuana was -- by far -- the most popular drug for sale on Silk Road. That's no surprise, given that marijuana is by far the world's most-used illegal drug, according to the World Health Organization.

Prices on Silk Road were set in bitcoins -- digital currency that's hard to trace. For simplicity, we've converted them to their value in today's U.S. dollars.

Here are some key insights on weed:

Of the most popular nations, it's cheapest in South Africa.

It's most expensive in Germany, but Poland and Australia are close behind.

It's relatively affordable in the United States.

Why the stark difference? It's still deemed illegal by most governments, but enforcement -- and priced-in risk to dealers -- differs greatly by country. Marijuana has been decriminalized in just a few regions, such as the Netherlands. But legalized pot only exists in only two locations: Colorado and Washington (though it remains a federal crime in the United States).

Silk Road prices were listed per gram. For perspective, someone who consumes cannabis on a daily basis might smoke or ingest about 1.8 grams each week. Here's what that pot habit would cost per week:

Germany: $40
Poland: $39
Australia: $39
United Kingdom: $35
Netherlands: $34
Czech Republic: $32
United States: $27
Canada: $20

The second most popular product listed on Silk Road was cocaine. Its prices also varied wildly by location. Here are the takeaways:

Of the biggest supplier nations, it's cheapest in Peru.

It's most expensive in Australia.

Once again, it's relatively inexpensive in the United States.

That Peru sits at the bottom of the list should come as no surprise. In 2012, Peru bumped off Colombia and became the world's No. 1 source of cocaine, according to the United Nation's Office on Drugs and Crime. An estimated 149,251 acres of coca were planted there last year.

Cocaine makes for quite a pricier habit than weed -- but not by much. Here's the weekly cost for a cocaine user who snorts a daily 50 milligram "line" of the white powder:

cont at
http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/09/technology/silk-road-drug-prices/

I know that we are not allowed to post prices, but since these are averages based on country, and not actual prices of any specific drugs for sale, I hope that this is okay. If anyone thinks that I have made a judgment error, please let me know!

how thw fuck snorts one line of blow and no more everyday? bullshit article

Sweden = basically same as US pot prices according to those statistics. Sucks to be in germany I guess. Cocaine about 70$ more though lol.

15 dollars a gram is way too high.

Were people selling schwag on SR? If not, those prices seem pretty fair for top end weed mailed to your door tbh... The cocaine prices are outrageous

Crazy high listing for Australia, can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would buy choof off of SR it is like one of few drugs that is actually priced well in Australia and every second person smokes... What is even weirder is that people bought cannabis online in The Netherlands, what the fuck?! LOL

ppl who buy weed on TOR have failed at life

People who've bought weed on TOR probably did so because of potency of foreign hybrid strains. Don't see how that's considered 'failing at life'. Judging from feedback, some of the finest ganja was sold on SR =D

^ Someone lives in a non-medical state, lol.. then again, it's probably pretty hard to find anything other than Med-X in the Wasteland

Oh, and $15 a gram ain't bad for weed that's twice (or more) as potent as that brown ass schwag

Last edited:
Great title, it's got this hey man let's try some drugs feel to it. The stigma against drug users is really starting to fade, I can't wait for the government enforced discrimination to end. One par with ending slavery, defeating the nazis, freedom of religion and woman's suffrage as the end of dark fascist authoritarian times; it's incomprehensible to me the people that think drugs should be illegal, in the future out children will wonder why we persecuted so many people especially addicts who are sick people. Let's lock up everybody with diabetes, they can't eat properly so they can't be part of society and will not get insulin treatment in prison. God I hate the facists, fuck the DEA, fuck the drug czar, fuck pigs, stupid cunts.

^ Someone lives in a non-medical state, lol.. then again, it's probably pretty hard to find anything other than Med-X in the Wasteland

Oh, and $15 a gram ain't bad for weed that's twice (or more) as potent as that brown ass schwag

In my experience the brown stuff is better than the green in regards to schwag.