• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

has pot killed your personality?

One more thing. I'm a non-native speaker of Chinese. I find that I am able to understand Chinese more fluently when high, but unable to speak it to save my life.

I'm a freakin robot ever since I started smoking, I don't find shit fun unless I'm blazin', even when I'm with friends, we don't have fun unless we're smoking. It's truly pathetic. :(

Long-term smoking habits can lead to Depersonalization. This is generally where you have forgotten who you are in a way. You might think you have no personality, or you might think you go through phases of different personalities. It also sounds like a healthy dose of social paranoia. WHich is prwetty juch a confidence thing. You're over-analysing people and worrying about them judging you too much. If you can't learn to control this and you don't like it, then stop smoking for a while is the only way to deal with it.

I think a lot of times people use drugs as depersonalizing agents. What is depersonalization? If one becomes very different on drugs, maybe childlike when stoned, or discloses way too much when rolling, and is thinking to oneself 'oh, the drug made me childlike, the drug made me tell people things I hadn't planned on telling' this is called depersonalization. Depersonalization feels really good when you're not happy with yourself, when you don't love yourself, and when you're using a depersonalizing agent BUT in the end you're only getting further away from the very thing you're seeking: self love.

id say maybe because if i go without smokin for a while(like7-8 hours) im a total dick. i think also that weed is and can be addictive for this reason

ganja has killed my stoned personallity..tis fucked
i been smoked for a few yrs some times on a daily basis and use to be energetic, loud, active, not give a shit, and cracking jokes etc
then one day some thing clicked in my head and i get paranoid axious when stoend, fkn cant talk to me when stoned either coz i will just sit there and try to respond but i cant some thing in my head has like stopped my speach or some shit...tis fucked i use to luv weed and by reading some of these posts it made me feel betta coz i thought i was the only one but now i have quit weed totally and i tink its for the best...
to those peeps out dere who dont feel right seriously just quit dudes its for the best

sOn said:
i think pot has killed my personality. i cant really talk to anyone anymore. i just feel like i dont belong or i dont fit in there and its really awkward.

i felt the same way at first, and it was kind of depressing but then i started looking at the situation a little differently.

we are raised that these effects (antisocial behavior) of marijuana are negative. unless you were raised by uber-tolerant parents, this generation has grown up thinking pot is the worst thing ever thanks to DARE, and pretty much anything that is tought to us in school/society/religion about pot. if you look at all these beliefs though, thats just what they are: beliefs, and negative ones at that. they have no grounding in facts at all. pot makes people different (no denying that) and these institutions that we have absolutley loathe anything that is different, because it can upset their power. (thats not some wild conspiracy theory, thats how it is). maybe you really arent supposed to fit in to what we have as a society. we have thought that that's what you are supposed to do in society for so long now that we forgot that there might be any other way to think.

i started smoking heavily about 6 months ago (2-3+ times a day) and at the time, i started feeling the same way - didnt fit in in society and such. then it came to me one day in a glorious vision (ok, maybe i was just eating mushrooms for the first time) that society as we have it doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things. what we have as a society is actually pretty crappy. thought some more on the subject for the next few months, and when it comes down to it, you have to look at the hard empiracal facts and what you experience, not what anyone tells you. i could go on and on about how beliefs are what our society is based on (such as laws concerning pot, political affiliation, religion, etc, etc, etc) but thats not the point. the point is that you have to think for yourself. is it you that is becoming antisocial? or the rest of society forgotten what it is to be social in the first place? (e.g. what's so social about going over and killing thousands of innocent people in different countries when there are clear alternatives to large scale warfare that we could implement?)

i dont hang out with too many of the people that i hung out with pre-pot smoking days. i look back at some of the conversations that we would have or things that we would do, and they certainly werent social. everything was about "being cool" and what clothing you have to wear, and what parties you are going to to be cool and what drink you were drinking and on and on and on. it was a good thing to get really drunk and throw up. it wasnt about accepting people, it wasnt about betterment of your fellow man - it was about being better than everyone and projecting an image. not to mention, none of them think at all. its downright imposible to hold a rational conversation on something like war when the other person doesnt understand in the least that whole "humanity" thing that pot has brought me around to.

6 months ago, i had no idea what i was going to do with my life, i was majoring in criminal justice with no ambition to do anything at all in the field or to even graduate for that matter. i was apathetic, lazy, and downright ignorant. i watched tv alot. then, i smoked alot of pot and ate mushrooms a few times. now i read on regular basis - no more tv (except south park) and recently im reading a few books a week. I quit my job and focussed entirely on school. changed my major to something i can actually use. i never quit smoking pot, but i have decreased it to roughly once every other day or at most, twice in one day because i realized that it wasnt completley good and pot did make me procrastinate. my grades are improving and i absolutley love school and learning in general now not to mention the new appreciation i have for various forms of art (film, photography, classical, all types of music) and a much more peaceful demeanor. i think all of this may be due to ego death i may have experienced on the shrooms, but i dont know enough about it yet....

highly recomended pot smoker reading - "Essays in Skepticism" by Bertrand Russell.
it's a really small book, and while some of the stuff is pretty trivial in it, i thought it did a pretty good job of summing up how pot smokers think although it has absolutley nothing to do with pot itself. its more of a lesson in rationale than anything, but it deffinatley helped to explain what i was thinking in a much more coherent manner.

weed has not killed my personality........ im a shy person all the time, and weed has had not effect on that at all... i find that when im stoned, i can talk to people more, simply because my mind makes something up... the only problem with that that ive found is, once that topics overused, i have nothing else to say, whereas if i hadnt said anything to begin with, like i usually dont, i wouldnt have that problem.... but then people think im some kinda weirdo or somethin... i have met a few people that i guess have social 'problems' or somethin, and we get along great, but then i get around people who like to flap their jaws about any and everything and im considered weird for not talking... i dunno..... also, i think pot kills my gf's personality... i mean, shes cool as shit and all, and we like to go get high together and all that stuff, but she just seems more like a real human when shes not high... shes almost like a weird robot type thing when shes high or has recently been high, like a day or so before..... when shes not had herb for like 2 days, she seems a lot cooler and more pleasant to be around, shes more outgoing and just seems a lot healthier and stuff... i dunno, maybe its just me.....

^^^

Totally Agreed although not too much cause that'll fuck you right up!

I agree that my decision to start smoking weed came at the exact time when I was losing my youthful enthusiasm and this saddened and confused me at the time because I thought that I had killed my personality and that child inside me.

Interestingly, the first profound ecstacy experience that I had made me see these feelings in more perspective. I realised I am still the same person that I ever was (minus a few brain cells!) and that I haven't lost my personality at all it has just changed over time.

Like a lot of people said, I do feel that pot has somewhat killed my personality. I didn't always feel this way. I'm pretty sure it started when I started to smoke a few times a day everyday. It's hard to talk to people I don't know very well, especially if I'm high. If I smoke with anyone besides my good friends then I usually won't say much or make any attempts to start a convo with them. I guess that's why I almost always smoke with close friends or by myself. I started smoking 4 years ago and it's been a few times a day every day for about 2. Who knows, maybe a 2-3 month break would help?

has weed killed my personality? No.

has it caused me to say the word 'toaster' alot more? Yes.

What do you mean by "killing [your] personality"? Do you mean you are just less social? You enjoy less activities? No thoughts?

What's wrong with having no thoughts? Isn't it peaceful? Or do you guys feel awkward around people when you have nothing to say.

Weed goes in the "bad" direction for some because of society. That's all it is really. I'm sure if you are a really confident person and say "screw society" (in a more logical way rather than a punk rebellious manner), then you'll be much happier (less anxiety/stress due to bad thoughts, enjoying simpler things in life).

Weed has done something to me. It brought out severe anxiety and paranoia. There is also a can't sort of really relate to anyone else becaue I don't really do anything / have similar interests. But I do not enjoy weed anymore for me its not fun smoking and laughing at stupid shit while dealing with paranoia and bringing my anxiety to a whole nother level. It's been around 3 months since the last time I smoked and I'm feeling great :)

I'll say it again....it has been proven that habitual weed smoking can cause depression. Other negative side effects are such things as loss of ambition and tendencies to be anti-social.

I grew up with a group of maybe 5 or 6 guys that I had known since about 8th grade. Met them through after school sports and they had attended the school my best friend went to. Throughout high school they were in all honors and AP classes and really smart. At the beginning of our high school years we would all go to parks and goof off, go to the kickball fields and play and have fun, beaches, movies etc...When they got introduced to pot, I would have never expected that any of them would have let it take over their personalities. Now having graduated I look back and realize that as soon as they became addicted, smoking before during and after school that they started lacking the sense of humor they had, the drive to have fun, and pretty much their personalities. Unfortunately most of them are off at college now (on mom and dad of course) and they cant hold a job. They're failing out of their first semester already and you guessed it, theyre all single. So ya, i think it can totally diminish someone's personality

i to think that weed has killed my personality as i use to by very social and out going and very self confident i now am shy and introvert.
i think the main reason for this that you don't really get bored while smoking weed and its all good anyway so afther some period of smoking 24/7 you don't think of anything els to do but smoking , it kills your brain it numbs it and the only thing you think about is getting high........i think that this different in every person......as all are minds are different......but iam gone quit smoking weed real sone i wane by my old self agian.
i have been smoking 24/7 now for about 6 years , in those 6 years i have stopt smoking weed about 3 time's and every time i stopt i felt really good and my social skills came right back :)

Try cutting back on your smoking. Pot may have changed my personality to a certain extent, but it definetly has not killed it. I do not exhibit and more social/personality problems than before I started smoking(about 2 years ago), but then again I only smoke about 1-2 times a week during the school year, 3-4 times a week during summer.

from my few years of smoking i have noticed that when i am stoned it will be very hard to open a discussion with a total stranger.

now i ride my bike very often and when i am stoned i get a paranoid thing happeneing that i would refuse to take busy roads, not for the fear of heavy traffic but the fear of people looking at me.

i tend to become an introvert, i turn into a thinker and i go on with my problems how to solve them, but the next day that's it it's all over.

that is why i smoke only if i am having a night in. or after the night.

I've gradually become a happier, more confident, extroverted person thanks to the realizations and personal work I've done while stoned. I now have interests and a sense of humor I never had before, have seen beauty I never would have known existed if pot didn't provide that initial spark. The key is that I don't smoke more than twice a week. Usually once. Pot can be beneficial if you're using it as one of several hobbies, or with the intention to use it for its mild psychedelic properties.

I used to smoke weed more often, and I think it generally depressed me and impaired my interest in communication. I still notice that effect the day after I smoke, but it isn't substantially greater than alcohol when it isn't additive (and I think some of the high sticks with you for a second day even).