• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin has anyone here actually kicked Heroin forever?

I did stop it in Amsterdam 1982, after 12 years intravenous use.
Somehow I just got scared as hell and felt bad after fixing - doesn't matter what the quality / purity was.
Sounds as a fairytale and I do agree - for me it (still) represents the possibility of miracles (at least when your motivation is hard enough).
I tapered down with methadone, but very fast (approx. 2 weeks).
Never ever felt since the urge to try again.
And no, there was no religion or politcal awakening involved.... :)
Cheers - TioMalo

I have been clean from a a nasty speedball habit for 8 months. Have not touched any drugs since then. Im 26 and i have been addicted to IV heroin for 6 years opiates for 10. Just as another poster posted, its the lifestyle that made me want out. Doing some stupid ass shit to get money, spend it, get sick and then do over. It fucking sucks. Of course i still think about getting high just that "one time", but it is usually ruined by the fact i know there is not just "one time" and its only a matter of time before before im laying on the floor dry heaving, sweating, legs and back aching, and wanting to die.

I love some of the replies on the first page... It is funny that we can accept alcohol being used throughout our whole adult life, but when it comes to opiates it's like this overwhelming feeling that 'oh, i have to stop, i have to stop, i have to never take it again', 'oh no, i relapsed, i must be worthless, i am weak, i am terrible... etc.

If you had those thoughts about alcohol from when you very first tried it, you would probably drive yourself towards it more and more because of this obsessive type of thinking that is surrounding your thoughts of alcohol and the eventual pedestal you will place it on. Imagine that:

ME AS A KID: 'i tried some alcohol last week and it was rad, but now i must stop, i must stop, i must stop, i must stop'... next week after that you have some more alcohol and then all you can think about is 'wow, alcohol has this terrifying pull over me, it is so powerful... when in reality it was just something fun to do, so you did it again.

And i love the reverse Placebo effect that you get with drugs, thanks to all the well meaning, but ultimately clueless folk who think a drug addiction is something that must be stopped at all costs, even if it isn't doing you that much damage... as soon as people have gotten a good addiction going the whole mindset of everyone around them almost invariably turns towards how much their life is fucked up and they need to RECOVER. Well hello! if you obsess over how bad your life is, then you are getting this reverse placebo bullshit that actually does make your life crap. You start believing you have let your family down, you have let yourself down and so on. As well meaning as the people around you are, turing you into this thing that is broken and needs help is actually the sort of thing that will encourage and reenforce addictions. You started the addiction because you liked how you think on Heroin, but after your whole family found out and lost faith in you, you start needing heroin more seriously because you have reached a point in life that is isolated and very hard to exist in.

BE PROUD MY JUNKIE FRIENDS. We are on the new frontier! If you have to use for the rest of your life then so be it, it isn't actually all that hard anymore, and getting better all the time.

Just feel good about yourself ok, and understand your life is something only you (and possibly other heroin users) can fully understand

Look at Keith Richards, or any other rock star that has used quite a bit and still had a rad life. Then look at the typical doctor often telling you how badly you fucked up for using heroin, looking down on you because you like to use a drug.
just do your best and look at your drug use as part of your life. If you have to use for the rest of your life, so what...

You can be happy and be proud of your choices to see what you can do with your brain, or you can accept what the population of anti-drug types tell you about being worthless and about needing to recover and never touch a drug again, only to feel absolutely worthless because you have to accept you have done bad in life before any of these people can give you help...

I actually had to make up a sob story about how much my life and relationships were being affected by my drug use, just so i could get into a program that can prescribe me suboxone. I haven't had that much trouble from using opiate, but i needed some suboxone obviously as one does from time to time, but the programs here in Australia have only one mode in which they operate on... you have to be down and out before they prescribe you suboxone. What a way to operate - as long as you are still remaining productive in life, you cannot have a prescription for suboxone. Come and see us when your life is fucked up and we will happily help you to pick up the pieces with some suboxone.

If suboxone was easier to get, it can actually be used as a tool to stop people getting 'down and out'. Rather than some guy stealing stuff on a Sunday night because he ran out of opiates, if he had a prescription for suboxone he could just pop one, get a good night sleep and then stroll into work the next day with a smile on his face.

Be happy my friends, and know that we are the lucky ones. There may be pain, but the pain makes us strong. There may be a lack of sex drive, but at least we don't have four unwanted kids from ugly ladies who only got our seed because we were pissed as cunts and horny as fuck.

If more dudes were able to shrug of a dirty shag with a sub par ladie, the world would have less shit babies born out of relationships that had no attraction whatsoever.

If more people only got into relationships because they actually click with someone, rather than just because they wanted sex for a couple of months, think how much stronger each relationship will be.

If only more people had heroin.

I agree with a lot of the tongue in cheek stuff here, as well as the more serious stuff, but the problem beyond society's stigma against opioid use and dependence is something most users can see the truth in, the immense cost of a habit in proportion to the kind of income a lot of users have, or in comparison to what a user could have invested in instead. I got to a point where I was having a hard time justifying spending $250 on enough weed to last me 3-6 months at a time, now from a very good hookup I can get enough dope for $230 to last me a week, two if I'm lucky. This sort of expenditure is hard to justify as responsible and not a drain on my life, and $230 a week is just for a user who keeps no tolerance and only binges a week at a time. Even if the extra expense never has any affect on your life, there's something inherently irresponsible about any costly and hedonistic consumptive habit, even if the only real moral offense is a lack of frugality or overindulgence in material excess. I still live such a lifestyle without the means, so I am by no means condemning it :p

I love some of the replies on the first page... It is funny that we can accept alcohol being used throughout our whole adult life, but when it comes to opiates it's like this overwhelming feeling that 'oh, i have to stop, i have to stop, i have to never take it again', 'oh no, i relapsed, i must be worthless, i am weak, i am terrible... etc.

I agree, but I think a lot of people don't like the idea of being on heroin into adulthood because it would completely suck getting arrested for heroin possession and having your wife have to bail you out while your kids ask where you are.

I agree with what you say about suboxone as well. Why not let a person get some suboxone so it satisfies their opiate craving, and keeps them from having to hit the streets and risk everything that goes with buying heroin off the streets.

It is possible to kick the habit. IT just depends on the will power and support you have around you. I was addicted to Heroin for about 4 years. I traded in that bad habit for another one; meth :/ Then I went back and forth between the two. Finally after 6 years of slamming drugs into my (then) tiny little body, I was able to completely kick the habit(s). I never had any rehab, or methadone/suboxone, I just quit cold turkey. It sucked balls, but I somehow managed to make it through.Fortunately I had my now husband to help me get through it all and I actually made it! I have been clean off of heroin (and meth) for 6 going on 7 years :D I still smoke on the greens but unfortunately I got myself into a bad habit of taking pills :( I have been doing that for about 3 years now. I love the way I feel when I take my pills, but its not cool to be a slave to yet another addiction. I think if I would have had some counseling, I would have been able to stay completely clean (besides bud :) My point is, you can and will get through this, you just have to stay strong and you have to want ti and make sure you deal with your problems. Don't just lock them away because eventually they will creep out and you will end up right back where you started.

I have a few friends that kicked heroin and other opiates forever (well, the stopped 4+ years ago and haven't touched them since).

One of them went to college and just never associated themselves with heroin or the people using it ever again, and the other one stopped for legal purposes. They just kinda wrote it off as a phase they went through, and never looked back. They were pretty deep into it too, so it's not like they were occasional users that just stopped.

A change in location can really help. I had stopped using while away at school, so was clean from late August to late May for 4 years. Out of sight out of mind type of thing. Now that I graduated and am living in an area where it is rampant once again, I have to make a lot more of a conscious decision to not use, but I have been using once or twice a week lately, hoping to make it even less frequent now.

My mate gave up on heroin 15 years ago and hasn't gone back,
His granddad passed away and the family took the ashes to Canada to a spot where he loved fishing this is when he decided to stop and hasn't looked back,
So there must be plenty of other ppl who have stop and been clean,
But it's still a journey till the end of your life staying cleaning

I refuse to believe it doesn't happen I just have not seen it. There is a weird statistic I used in a paper about opiate addiction that indicates it has something to do with brain development-- like, if you are still using after 28 you are probably going to use for the rest of your life. I cannot find it and that was a 22 page paper so I am not dying to go through the entire thing, but the idea was kick it young or never.

I'm like ~4months clean it feels like forever I'll prob relapse soon

I smoked and snorted h for 1.5 years. Everyday for the last 6 months. 30 day rehab. 15 of those days on suboxone. Relapsed on H 2 weeks after I got out just a small amount. Insufflated a perc 30 2 weeks later. Never touched a hard opiate since and it's closing on 3.5 years. 27 now. I do take kratom 3-5 days per week and did abuse alcohol and marijuana for 2 yrs after getting out. I would just lower the strength of the substance I was using but always abused whatever it was for the first year. I didn't even like alcohol while using opiates but told myself I couldn't use opiates yet alcohol was ok as my mom drank. Short version: you will will never be able to have a single beer at a bbq or one of anything and not want more. my habit wasn't nearly as bad as other's here though.

^^ that's YOUR experience. I am a recovered/ recovering addict, I know quite a few people that have been clean for years. And they drink sometimes, do ex, smoke weed... everyone is different. I will have a couple of glasses of wine with a friend and be fine. Go out and do ketamine, be fine. You're not doomed from substances because you were addicted to opiates. But, for some people it is best to not do anything at all.

I was 5 years and a half clean (not even alchool), it's possible to have a clean life. The thing is, we never can let ourselves go and always be on the look out for signs that may tell us that we are somedy near in the future look for H. I ignored those signs, i let myself go, and now i'm battling again. It were the best 5 years of my life, believe it, but we cannot let boredom win us over, it's a fight till the end. I never thought that after 5 years ans a half i would commit the error i commited.
So... it's possible, yes. But we must fight when we see that things are going the worng way... i've had the signs months before the relapse...

violating probation and going to NYS prison for 3 years 3 months saved my life, I was a heroin addict just beginning the destruction with the needle, my dream then back in 2004 was to just get one of them "fear this" bags that's so potent it was killing people, I wanted to feel that rush and bliss and if I died, im ok with that, that was my happy place.
what a disgusting way to think and live! from 05-08 I was clean, when I got out I relapsed for the summer of 08, then stopped. went on suboxone, had a girlfriend after so many years, didn't want to lose her, we had 2 kids together, now I was on suboxon for years, and methadone these past 2. in prison all I obsessed about was heroin, I honestly didn't give a fuck about the high I just wanted to be not sick and feel normal, and went on methadone, which worked..but my times SOBER my life and thinking and morals were way higher, felt better about myself, learned a lot about myself..yet here I am still using opiates regardless if not heroin. I got discharged from the clinic, and now been shooting dope again, this time with old timers and kings that would have NYC brick grade heroin, been buying quarter oz at a time using my settlement money, seems I go through an 8 ball in 2 days. I need to get on methadone before this kills me. idk why I wrote this, but im going back upstate in septmeber for 2yrs, long story..boy will I feel that pain without my fincee and my children...that's my excuse guess, see no hope or future until after September.. I plan on buying 5grams this week, selling 9 bundles makng my money back to get high for free and extra money..never have I had it this deep, settlement money will kill u, I would be used to getting bags and bundles now I laugh when people get bundles cause I can get a gram for same prise,, quality is bettr, and can get 2-3 bundles out of it. my concept of money is destroyed, I would have 1500 dollars go get a motel with my girl for 2days, come home broke..aw I ggotta stop or ill break down,...dark side I may visit soon!

I enjoy reading the comments from the users on this message board. You can tell that everyone is indeed genuine.

As for quitting dope, it can totally be done. I hate to say it but dope is somewhat overrated. An earlier post here mentioned that one of the worst parts of the cycle of addiction is tolerating dealers. That's very true and it was a turning point for me. Waiting around for your guy who doesn't have to answer to you will make you very angry. In due time, you'll realize that the act of scoring/acquiring the drug is part of the intense high. Once it's in your possession, half of the thrill is already gone. Long term users know what I'm talking about.

I made the mistake of being overconfident in my ability to mask my usage. Eventually, someone will notice that you don't wear new clothes anymore, don't attend family functions, aren't going out on Friday nights, etc.

I refuse to equate sobriety with a time frame. To me, being sober means the ability to function without the drug controlling you. The reality is is that as long as you earn an income, take out your girlfriend, and pay your bills, you're already clean.

I kicked it, after 4 times a day habit I kicked it after about 6-8 months. I know it's not as long as many people on here but for me it still wasn't easy. The first major thing is whiping your connects phone number or whatever method you contact him/her from you computer/phone/iPod/contact list and so on. You must consider that they will still contact you looking for a buyer. The withdrawal comes on hard but there's a hill and once you reach the other side it's smooth sailing. Personally I always think about doing dope again because it is the king of addictions. But opiates and weed keep me in line. Good luck to you and anyone suffering with this devilish substance.

Well after getting clean i lived on the dogma to never use anything ever again. But now i am more relaxed, its ok for me to occacionally chip
with opiates. As long as it doesnt interfere with my life, especcially the goals i want to reach. But i am always on the look out, i realise that every usage must be looked on from a critical standpoint. It its three years since i quit the 'done, and i never want to let my self go into such a strong addiction, again. Right now i want to take a break for 12-14 month again, cause i have to take hair sceenings again. Now they test for every opiate readily available, benzos, amps, cocaine, cannabis and ethanol. It its stupid that i am forced upon this again, but i really want my driving licence back. Last year i failed because i was not tested for ethanol.

Well after getting clean i lived on the dogma to never use anything ever again. But now i am more relaxed, its ok for me to occacionally chip
with opiates. As long as it doesnt interfere with my life, especcially the goals i want to reach. But i am always on the look out, i realise that every usage must be looked on from a critical standpoint. It its three years since i quit the 'done, and i never want to let my self go into such a strong addiction, again. Right now i want to take a break for 12-14 month again, cause i have to take hair sceenings again. Now they test for every opiate readily available, benzos, amps, cocaine, cannabis and ethanol. It its stupid that i am forced upon this again, but i really want my driving licence back. Last year i failed because i was not tested for ethanol.

Is this like a CDL driving license or just to get it back from a DUI or something?? I've never heard of having to undergo hair tests to get back your license! That worries me terribly.

Been clean for over a year. All you have to do is remind yourself how bad the withdrawals were.

I got off dope using kratom. Now I prefer kratom to dope. I still do dope occasionally but I no longer worry about catching a habit because i know I can simply replace it with kratom (and indeed, when I do do dope, it's usually for a day or so and then I go back to kratom because I just cant justify spending the money for dope when I prefer kratom anyway).

Kratom is straight up a gift from God. Its better than dope. When I do heroin daily, it makes me depressed and the only thing that makes me feel better is more dope. THus on dope, I am depressed, tired, lethargic, and obsessed with doing more dope whereas on kratom, I live like a normal person except for the fact that i am always trying to plan my meals so my stomach is empty for kratom.