• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Has anyone felt minor opiate withdrawal to be euphoric?

I find it interesting that a few people have said how minor withdrawal makes them feel more alive.

I would certainly agree that opioids somewhat dull the experience of living. But I've never felt less alive on them.

I have wondered before about how the world might feel different if I were actually free of all opioids and also not in any kind of withdrawal. Its been nearly a decade since I was last in a position to know.

But I don't feel more alive in any level of withdrawal.

After reading the first response on this thread, it occurred to me that YES, withdrawing from morphine I wrote arguably the best and definitely most lyrical song of my life.

Yeah, honestly the only med I ever abused was gabapentin and then pregabalin. The only reason I stopped them is because I gained so much weight and my eating disorder will win out over getting high! But man I miss gabapentin. It gave me a real sense of motivation and floatyness.
Is the Gabapentin the reason I am fighting belly fat when that never was a prob? I seemed to start noticing this effect going from 900mg to 1800mg/day.

No, I’d rather hit my pinky with a hammer

Oh hell yeah. There's a loooot of pain I'd rather experience than a full out cold turkey withdrawal from start to natural end.

Id rather have my teeth drilled, I'd rather break my arm. There's not a whole lot I wouldn't rather do. :p

I find it interesting that a few people have said how minor withdrawal makes them feel more alive.

I would certainly agree that opioids somewhat dull the experience of living. But I've never felt less alive on them.

I have wondered before about how the world might feel different if I were actually free of all opioids and also not in any kind of withdrawal. Its been nearly a decade since I was last in a position to know.

But I don't feel more alive in any level of withdrawal.

It may very well depend on the opioid too. I definitely felt "more alive" after quitting oxy because oxy numbs me out a lot. In comparison, morphine makes me feel more emotion than usual, as does DHC. I still felt like something had been lifted off me when quitting though. It's hard to explain. But oxy is unique for me in that it creates a heavy numbness I don't get from morphine and morphine-like opiates. I suspect it's to do with oxy's roots in thebaine.

Yeah, honestly the only med I ever abused was gabapentin and then pregabalin. The only reason I stopped them is because I gained so much weight and my eating disorder will win out over getting high! But man I miss gabapentin. It gave me a real sense of motivation and floatyness.

Ahhh I hated being on pregabalin daily! I was always trying to decrease my dose and the psych kept trying to increase it. Was madness.

Yeah, between different opioids and different people, your milage may significantly vary.

All of my comments are based almost exclusively from experience with heroin and methadone withdrawal.

Which are both probably pretty classical sedating opioids. Except that methadone withdrawal sets in a lot slower and lasts a lot longer.

Is the Gabapentin the reason I am fighting belly fat when that never was a prob? I seemed to start noticing this effect going from 900mg to 1800mg/day.
Oh I’d say so! I have an eating disorder, I eat the same thing everyday to maintain my weight. When I was on gabapentin I put on 10kgs! I couldn’t believe it. I kinda thought too my psychologist got my dr to prescribe them to me as well because they knew I’d gain weight but I freaked out completely and just stopped taking them and stopped eating until I got back to my weight.

sorry went of course, but yes, it definitely could be the reason you’re gaining weight because that’s one of the most recorded side effects.

Ahhh I hated being on pregabalin daily! I was always trying to decrease my dose and the psych kept trying to increase it. Was madness.
Yeah, pregabalin definitely did come with way more side effects. I was forgetting simple words and my short term memory was going to hell. That really scared me, my granny had senile dementia and my mother has the beginning of it. There’s nothing worse to me than going down that route. Obviously after putting on weight of course haha!

Yeah, between different opioids and different people, your milage may significantly vary.

All of my comments are based almost exclusively from experience with heroin and methadone withdrawal.

Which are both probably pretty classical sedating opioids. Except that methadone withdrawal sets in a lot slower and lasts a lot longer.
I have in the past transferred myself over to cocodamol which is 30/500mg codeine/paracetamol to see how I am without the tapentadol. It usually takes me a week to taper to just 4 tablets a day 2 morning and 2 night. I definitely feel more awake and more alive. Way more energy but also way way more pain. The tapentadol definitely does dull my motivation and my senses. It’s a trade off though I suppose. Be in pain and be a grump and grit my teeth through everything or be slightly dulled to the world and be pain free and be able to do stuff but not really want to do that stuff. Haha!!

One difference may be... I like having my senses dulled.

That's one of the things I want from my opioids, I want to quiet my mind, have all the stress, self doubt, anxiety and pain melt away, and just sit back enjoying the nice warm high while watching TV or listening to music or something.

Id quite happily do that the remainder of my life if I could.

I have felt periods of euphoria during opiate withdrawal as a result of actually feeling real emotions again, but it's very situational and always involves specific stimuli. I would say my overall state is dysphoric though.

What makes me excited about minor wd Is the big fat shot I'm getting later. That's the only thing

Oh hell yeah.

It's amazing the power of the mind.

When I was still using heroin all the time and was frequently sick, just knowing I was about to get my shot soon made me feel sooooooo much better.

But then, every so often, something goes wrong and it turns out you'll be waiting a lot longer than you though. And that is just the wooooooooorst.