• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals Has anyone ever tried Kava?

whaaaatnonono

Greenlighter
I've seen this drink called kava or kava kava being advertised online, it seems to be legal in most countries around the world. Apparently it is a natural alternative to xanax and benzos and is pretty potent. Has anyone ever tried it? Apparently it affects GABA receptors and is a MAO B enzyme inhibitor. It seems to be readily available on Instagram and through a lot of online stores.

I talk about kava everywhere. Of all the recreational, and medicinally bracketed drugs/herbs, kava is the most shockingly unknown.

It will become more widely used in time. As with cannabis, science is increasingly showing kava to not just be very safe when used correctly, but actually very medicinal in both curative and preventative ways, except it’s Kavalactones instead of cannabinoids.

But one simple golden rule- never combine kava with alcohol.

Separate by 24 hours minimum ideally longer. One or the other.

The effects of kava are actually way better than alcohol IMO, more drug like, it’s viewed useful most of all for it’s anxiolytic properties, it’s muscularly relaxing, sleep aiding, antidepressant, euphoric depending on the specific Cultivar.

Analogously to cannabis there are multiple different cultivars from different countries with a spectrum of effects, from Heady to Heavy, and inbetween, like Sativa, Indica or hybrids, each with individual character and traits, effect profiles.

Kava has a sedative action generally, though some Kavas will be much more sedating than others, some are more mentally stimulating.

But kava s not a sedative. It doesn’t cancel out LSD IME, it doesn’t dull or close consciousness, it relaxes the body and mind.

I would go nuts without kava for anxiety, depression, just coping with life.

It’s completely non physically addictive, no withdrawals. It’s actually very safe for the liver but poorly conducted studies years ago are the main reason it’s still so widely unknown.

They used kava extracts, with a range of kavalactones not present in noble or instant kava, which are problematic for the liver.

Take 50 people who have heard of kava, but never tried or researched it.

Almost very other person if not 3/4’s I expect to say…
“Kava- isn’t that meant to be bad for your liver?”

Only if you use the wrong kava, avoid extracts and capsules, use instant or properly prepared Noble kava, and always separate from alcohol.

Some people also experience the phenomenon of reverse tolerance initially with kava.

I didn’t but many do. It can take daily drinking for up to a few weeks at most, for the neurotransmitter system to somehow adapt and prime itself for Kava’s full effects.

The number of people I introduced to kava who experienced exactly this, but trusted me kept going and then voila they love it but would have given up by day two otherwise and declared kava as ineffective.

It’s worth knowing about. I know a lot more about it. Just don’t ever mix with booze, avoid extracts, don’t waste time with capsules, use Instant or correctly prepared Noble root, there are a number of prep methods.

And buy quality. Like cannabis, no point trying just any old cheaply shit.

If you live in USA you have every top vendor available it’s fully legal there.

My hands are more tied in UK where kava is only legal for pet consumption and possession but not human consumption.

There is kavaforums too, the web’s only real sole Kavaforum.

I would suggest to a new trier if in US, Canada or a country they ship to, first try the Instants from GourmetHawaianKava, GHK.

Their Noble is top quality too.

Best Noble vendor is probably Kavatime.

Artofkava and Fijivanuakava too. So many options, cultivars, and a few prep techniques too.

This guy’s channel might help. He’s been using kava through longterm cancer treatment to ease suffering, chemo side effects and just keep going, and he’s beating every cancer so far and doing really well.

I always use sunflower lecithin as an emulsifier to facilitate extraction and find it makes a good difference.

Lots of people use milk. Kava is most effective on an empty stomach but strongly potentiated by following with a warm, fatty meal about an hour afterwards.

Any fatty food or meal will do, but warm, fatty and spicy would be the optimum.

These are not golden rules though, only avoiding alcohol is. I know people who eat breakfast and large lunch then just drink their kava in the evening,

I have severe allergies and food complications, causing an anxiety related and catch 22 practically speaking eating disorder.

I drink all my kava each day before one daily meal.

And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
^ This post should be a sticky. Very kind of Autotripper to type out info and instructions.
Hi there hope things are going well for yourself and (sipping lol) fam.

I had to though didn’t I really, I’m posting flyers about kava everywhere, as it’s a part of my life, and also needs educating about.

So much misinformation, mistaken beliefs, and hesitancy among the small % really who even know about kava.

I only really touched the surface, but it’s no rocket science just basic principles.
Best way to learn is to dip toes, but some basic information and insight is useful and even important.

I’m happy to share more, that’s all I could think as a basic start, without being too brief. Thanks man.

^ This post should be a sticky. Very kind of Autotripper to type out info and instructions.
I talk about kava everywhere. Of all the recreational, and medicinally bracketed drugs/herbs, kava is the most shockingly unknown.

It will become more widely used in time. As with cannabis, science is increasingly showing kava to not just be very safe when used correctly, but actually very medicinal in both curative and preventative ways, except it’s Kavalactones instead of cannabinoids.

The effects of kava are actually way better than alcohol IMO, more drug like, it’s viewed useful most of all for it’s anxiolytic properties, it’s muscularly relaxing, sleep aiding, antidepressant, euphoric depending on the specific Cultivar.

Analogously to cannabis there are multiple different cultivars from different countries with a spectrum of effects, from Heady to Heavy, and inbetween, like Sativa, Indica or hybrids, each with individual character and traits, effect profiles.

Kava has a sedative action generally, though some Kavas will be much more sedating than others, some are more mentally stimulating.

But kava s not a sedative. It doesn’t cancel out LSD IME, it doesn’t dull or close consciousness, it relaxes the body and mind.

It’s completely non physically addictive, no withdrawals. It’s actually very safe for the liver but poorly conducted studies years ago are the main reason it’s still so widely unknown.

They used kava extracts, with a range of kavalactones not present in noble or instant kava, which are problematic for the liver.

Only if you use the wrong kava, avoid extracts and capsules, use instant or properly prepared Noble kava, and always separate from alcohol.

Some people also experience the phenomenon of reverse tolerance initially with kava.

I didn’t but many do. It can take daily drinking for up to a few weeks at most, for the neurotransmitter system to somehow adapt and prime itself for Kava’s full effects.

The number of people I introduced to kava who experienced exactly this, but trusted me kept going and then voila they love it but would have given up by day two otherwise and declared kava as ineffective.

It’s worth knowing about. I know a lot more about it. Just don’t ever mix with booze, avoid extracts, don’t waste time with capsules, use Instant or correctly prepared Noble root, there are a number of prep methods.

My hands are more tied in UK where kava is only legal for pet consumption and possession but not human consumption.

I would suggest to a new trier if in US, Canada or a country they ship to, first try the Instants from GourmetHawaianKava, GHK.

Artofkava and Fijivanuakava too. So many options, cultivars, and a few prep techniques too.

This guy’s channel might help. He’s been using kava through longterm cancer treatment to ease suffering, chemo side effects and just keep going, and he’s beating every cancer so far and doing really well.

I always use sunflower lecithin as an emulsifier to facilitate extraction and find it makes a good difference.

Lots of people use milk. Kava is most effective on an empty stomach but strongly potentiated by following with a warm, fatty meal about an hour afterwards.

These are not golden rules though, only avoiding alcohol is. I know people who eat breakfast and large lunch then just drink their kava in the evening,

I have severe allergies and food complications, causing an anxiety related and catch 22 practically speaking eating disorder.

You say it's non-addictive. Aren't all things that target GABA receptors addictive, such as any GABA activity ultimately can cause addiction if not dependency?

I used Kava capsules from Amazon and they didn't do anything for me. Could have been because of bad benzo withdrawals. I had severe delirium at the time.
I’m not qualified to rule it out.

But even if you that surely wasn’t the explanation, I’d say capsules just don’t work, and you may well need to persevere with effective kava to overcome the reverse tolerance effect.

Kava was never meant for capsules.

You say it's non-addictive. Aren't all things that target GABA receptors addictive, such as any GABA activity ultimately can cause addiction if not dependency?
It’s entirely non physically addictive. Zero withdrawals, despite acting on the GABA receptors.

No physical dependency will ever occur, zero danger upon discontinuation unlike alcohol and Benzos.

It’s no more psychologically addictive than cannabis.

I won’t say Kava is perfect. But it’s very safe when used correctly. My mum now drinks kava daily, she switched it for red wine and is so pleased. No more liver toxicity from alcohol, and none from kava.

It’s non toxic. While kava does act on GABA receptors, it’s also as was revealed to me, surprisingly balancing for brain chemistry and the neurotransmitter system.

You can literally take it or leave it. If you like taking it, can afford it, it serves a function, like aiding relaxation, anxiety, mood, sleep, pain, and recreationally, kava is for me very very sociable.

Hence…loudmouth blabbing AutoTripper every day/night lol, always so high on kava plus weed, they go together superbly, not as complimentary as cannabis with Kratom, as it’s more a case of two of the same with kava and cannabis.

But kava goes a long way to mitigate Cannabis or THC induced anxiety, and the euphoric mood boosting effects of each are enhanced.

It’s like mixing on DJ decks in a way. I use each in numerous forms, doses, order, flexibly, to adjust the overall high.

Kava will not mess you up, unless you mess up by just having a lifestyle that works against you over a lasting time.

You say it's non-addictive. Aren't all things that target GABA receptors addictive, such as any GABA activity ultimately can cause addiction if not dependency
It’s entirely non physically addictive. Zero withdrawals, despite acting on the GABA receptors.

No physical dependency will ever occur, zero danger upon discontinuation unlike alcohol and Benzos.

It’s no more psychologically addictive than cannabis.

I won’t say Kava is perfect. But it’s very safe when used correctly. My mum now drinks kava daily, she switched it for red wine and is so pleased. No more liver toxicity from alcohol, and none from kava.

It’s non toxic. While kava does act on GABA receptors, it’s also as was revealed to me, surprisingly balancing for brain chemistry and the neurotransmitter system.

You can literally take it or leave it. If you like taking it, can afford it, it serves a function, like aiding relaxation, anxiety, mood, sleep, pain, and recreationally, kava is for me very very sociable.

Hence…loudmouth blabbing AutoTripper every day/night lol, always so high on kava plus weed, they go together superbly, not as complimentary as cannabis with Kratom, as it’s more a case of two of the same with kava and cannabis.

But kava goes a long way to mitigate Cannabis or THC induced anxiety, and the euphoric mood boosting effects of each are enhanced.

It’s like mixing on DJ decks in a way. I use each in numerous forms, doses, order, flexibly, to adjust the overall high.

Kava will not mess you up, unless you mess up by just having a lifestyle that works against you over a lasting time.
Would you mind showing me some information that shows that this one specific GABA agent can do what no oyher GABA agent can, not cause addiction and dependence please?
I would love to read that as it stands my knowledge suggests all GABA agents are ultimately addictive and dependence forming.

You say it's non-addictive. Aren't all things that target GABA receptors addictive, such as any GABA activity ultimately can cause addiction if not dependency

Would you mind showing me some information that shows that this one specific GABA agent can do what no oyher GABA agent can, not cause addiction and dependence please?
I would love to read that as it stands my knowledge suggests all GABA agents are ultimately addictive and dependence forming.
I just know for fact that kava is officially non physically addictive, has long been accepted as such with not one case of a reported withdrawal on discontinuation from any length or level of regular usage.

I’m no fact checking expert on GABA influencers. There is kavaforums where you’re scientific revelations, studies and facts are posted daily.

There is a while compendium there dating back, and lots of experts who would have on hand aim sure links to sources you ask for.

I’ve ducked out of Kavaforums where I’m well known months ago and have so many good members pm’s to reply to there, just haven’t had the energy or will.

It’s truly the case, kava is not physically addictive. Uncategorically. Has always been the case, supported by testimony, and science.

You may be able to dig up some factual evidence or studies via Google, but kava remains one of the much lesser studied drugs and herbs by science, only in recent years is it coming under the scientific spotlight.

What I’m telling you here is true. You can check it out and you won’t find a report or testimony to say otherwise.

Kavaforums is full of decade long kava drinkers. These and all topics have been bashed to death there.

It’s simply unanimous and undisputed, kava isn’t physically addictive, it’s not dangerous, doesn’t need tapering, and no physical withdrawals or even the same or any type of GABA dysregulation as with Benzos where effectively, harm has occurred and time is required for healing.

Last edited:
I just know for fact that kava is officially non physically addictive, has long been accepted as such with not one case of a reported withdrawal on discontinuation from any length or level of regular usage.

I’m one fact checking expert on GABA influencers. There is kavaforums where you’re scientific revelations, studies and facts are posted daily.

There is a while compendium there dating back, and lots of experts who would have on hand aim sure links to sources you ask for.

I’ve ducked out of Kavaforums where I’m well known months ago and have so many good members pm’s to reply to there, just haven’t had the energy or will.

It’s truly the case, kava is not physically addictive. Uncategorically. Has always been the case, supported by testimony, and science.

You may be able to dig up some factual evidence or studies via Google, but kava remains one of the much lesser studied drugs and herbs by science, only in recent years is it coming under the scientific spotlight.

What I’m telling you here is true. You can check it out and you won’t find a report or testimony to say otherwise.

Kavaforums is full of decade long kava drinkers. These and all topics have been bashed to death there.

It’s simply unanimous and undisputed, kava isn’t physically addictive, it’s not dangerous, doesn’t need tapering, and no physical withdrawals or even the same or any type of GABA dysregulation as with Benzos where effectively, harm has occurred and time is required for healing.
So you can't provide any evidence that supports your assertion then?

So you can't provide any evidence that supports your assertion then?
It’s NOT an assertion. It’s a long established, scientifically, and subjectively undisputed fact.

I don’t need to provide evidence. You could likely find some more easily than myself.

There is a stack of evidence n Kavaforums. You don’t have to believe me. But you would not find a legitimate counter claim or testimony of any physical withdrawals.

Sometimes, a thousand plus years and a thousand horse’s mouths are the best evidence where science is slow to delve and provide.

It’s NOT an assertion. It’s a long established, scientifically, and subjectively undisputed fact.

I don’t need to provide evidence. You could likely find some more easily than myself.

There is a stack of evidence n Kavaforums. You don’t have to believe me. But you would not find a legitimate counter claim or testimony of any physical withdrawals.

Sometimes, a thousand plus years and a thousand horse’s mouths are the best evidence where science is slow to delve and provide.
If it's long established you should have zero problems providing some evidence that this one GABA agent is able to do what no other GABA agent can.

Also capitalising words doesn't make your point at all. If anything it shows you need to shout over people to deviate from the notion that your claim lacks any substance or value beyond you claiming something can do something no other similar thing can

Also capitalising words doesn't make your point at all. If anything it shows you need to shout over people to deviate from the notion that your claim lacks any substance or value beyond you claiming something can do something no other similar thing can
I was just trying to emphasise the point. Capitals don’t always equate to aggression or shouting over, simply emphasis. I wasn’t trying to patronise you.

The web is so full of misinformation regarding kava.

The most reliable learning platform is the decade long users and experts and researchers at Kavaforums. I learnt from them. Many testimonies of cold stops and no physical withdrawals to report.

I’m not ruling out psychological dependence. Any substance or activity is prone to that.

I have looked but wifi is a bitch here today, and so much misinformation too. For example,

10 Must-Know Facts about Kava
Kava comes from the pepper family, even though it doesn’t cause sneezing when ingested
It helps in the relief of anxiety
Kava has been used to reduce the mood swings that accompany menopause
It can help reduce pain
Can aid in the battle against cancer
Kava has been associated with liver damage
Prolonged use can damage the nervous system
If your body fights off the Kavalactones active in Kava (instead of assimilating them), this can result in the exacerbation of depression
Kava is not physically addictive like Kratom, but you can become psychologically addicted if you abuse it.
It is risky to combine Kava with other substances.

It is risky to combine with alcohol. I’ve combined it with LSD, cannabis, Benzos, caffeine many times with zero adverse effects.

And “associated” with liver problems is again out of context, based on flawed studies using kava extracts,

That is the alleged evidence leading to it’s ban in the UK.

You can find contradictory claims depending which page you land on. Hence me putting more trust in the longterm users and researchers at Kavaforums.

non addictive gaba and canabinoid receptor 1 agonist, add to that it has revers tolerance you might not feel any effect the first 2 weeks and its weak anti anxiety herb
I felt it from day one myself. No reverse tolerance. It has more than a weak anxiolytic effect on me, but it depends on the quality of the product a lot. It does vary.

I have looked but wifi is a bitch here today, and so much misinformation too. For example,

10 Must-Know Facts about Kava
Kava comes from the pepper family, even though it doesn’t cause sneezing when ingested
It helps in the relief of anxiety
Kava has been used to reduce the mood swings that accompany menopause
It can help reduce pain
Can aid in the battle against cancer
Kava has been associated with liver damage
Prolonged use can damage the nervous system
If your body fights off the Kavalactones active in Kava (instead of assimilating them), this can result in the exacerbation of depression
Kava is not physically addictive like Kratom, but you can become psychologically addicted if you abuse it.
It is risky to combine Kava with other substances.

It is risky to combine with alcohol. I’ve combined it with LSD, cannabis, Benzos, caffeine many times with zero adverse effects.

And “associated” with liver problems is again out of context, based on flawed studies using kava extracts,

That is the alleged evidence leading to it’s ban in the UK.

You can find contradictory claims depending which page you land on. Hence me putting more trust in the longterm users and researchers at Kavaforums.
So you're saying pure anecdotal evidence equates to a GABA agent not being dependency and addiction forming simply because they say so. Curious.

You know you've claimed that it is a fact that it and it alone of all GABA agents doesn't produce dependence.

You've also now claimed there is undisputed tonnes of scientific evidence and then gone on to say there is little to no Scientific evidence and what exists is all wrong simply because you say so. Of which you say a bunch of random people on the internet also are more valid a source of evidence than literally anything scientific.

This is starting to sound very very strongly like absolute misinformation.
Can you even establish why it wouldn't cause dependency?
Can you tell me about what receptors it works on and how?
Can you evidence why it doesn't cause dependency?
Baring in mind you are claiming one sole GABA agent is able to do something quite literally every single other GABA agent can't. Which is a tall order, especially if you are claiming all science is wrong, you and a bunch of randoms are right

What credentials do these researchers and experts have at kavaforums to give them such a position of absolute ability to trump all science?

What credentials do these researchers and experts have at kavaforums to give them such a position of absolute ability to trump all science?
The point is, they do actively research and follow the science. I would want to ask the chief researcher for the most reliable, accurate scientific references, and explanation as to how Kava can differ here.

They are no bunch of randoms, but longterm users from all walks of life.

I need to log back in there but so many members there to reply to I’ve been waiting for more energy.

I’ll get something of substance for you. Scientific.

I didn’t actually say though that it’s the only GABA agent that doesn’t cause physical dependence.

The point is, they do actively research and follow the science. I would want to ask the chief researcher for the most reliable, accurate scientific references, and explanation as to how Kava can differ here.

They are no bunch of randoms, but longterm users from all walks of life.

I need to log back in there but so many members there to reply to I’ve been waiting for more energy.

I’ll get something of substance for you. Scientific.

I didn’t actually say though that it’s the only GABA agent that doesn’t cause physical dependence.
So they don't have credentials, they are just a bunch of randoms who take a given substance.
Remember a lot of us actively research and follow the science but none of us will claim to be experts that hold kore valid opinions than actual experts who made a career from what they do.

Yeah you kind of have been, baring in mind it's a basic fact of targeting GABA that it will cause addiction and dependency. That's established science.
So you're now claiming that you and a bunch of randoms know for a fact that this sole substance that happens to target GABA can alone do something that no other GABA agent can. As said that is a huge huge claim that flies in the face of established science.

I welcome absolutely anything scientific that evidences your claim. I won't hold my breath though I do hope you can prove without a shadow of a doubt that you're right as that would be most curious.

Anywho happy searching, I look forward to reviewing what you find.