• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Has anybody had a similar horrific DMT trip?

Kierogue

Greenlighter
I've read a lot of article on the nexus, reddit and here about people who've had bad trips but all of them seem to fall into the same category and differ a large amount in comparison to my experience. A lot of people say that largely they see demons and other such creatures which put them off of their trip but don't largely discomfort them in any way with lasting effects. I've read a few where people describe events relating to things going wrong during an interaction with another person and that has caused them to become upset too.

With my experience, I eyeballed how much I was using and really did not do a good job in doing so. I probably put in enough for 5 hits and having very strong lungs probably did equivalent to 4 of them. By this time I lay down on my bed hoping to breakthrough in a positive mind set and as it began I was just launched back to reality. I sat up on my bed and as soon as this happened I started to dissociate HARD. I forgot who I was, where I was, what things were around me and how to communicate. I stood up which probably only worsened the effects and I started to panic. At this point my entire body started to convulse and feel like it was being torn apart shred by shred by vibrations and disintegrating. My body started to warp and the texture of my entire body started to change, going from slimy to eventually melting and I was in a cold sweat practically drenching my room. I was sure before I started in my ability to tell myself it was a bad trip and let the drug take control of me before I started, but at this point all my mind knew was "I am an entity, I am alive, and I am going to die right now". I felt as if I could see inside of my own skull and everything was horrific. It came to sitting on my floor for what seemed like eternity and riding it out.

The thing is I didn't read of anyone having a similar experience and aside from my body texture feeling, not looking as if it was melting and very slight body disfigurement I had no other visual or auditory hallucinations which seems unusual. There were other parts to the experience but I'm glad I don't remember them entirely. Since the trip ended I seem to be really panicked when in the dark, and I get paranoid that something is over my shoulder every 10m or so whilst awake.

Has anybody had a similar situation to this and if so how have you coped with it and how did it affect you?

In my 20-some odd number experiences I've never felt that I could have a bad experience on DMT, it always came off as motherly and very loving. You Could have some underlying form of hppd due to the intensity and frightening experience. But it should pass bud, hope all is well

Think there were quite a few things that played into it going bad and probably that i'm an anxious person to begin with, but yeah some side effects are fading slightly hopefully it should be gone within a month or so!

Sometimes time is the best healer! That sounds terrifying. I've had some scary trips but thankfully none as bad as that. For what its worth I found that a wee tester dose takes the edge of preflight anxieties and allows me a smoother proper trip.

You've had a traumatic experience there will be residual effects, a bit of TLC and reflection can ease them. I found if I take the notion every thing is a learning experience it takes a bit of the sting out of it. Maybe take some time to ground yourself, fill time with happy, upbeat people, (unless they start to grind like they can :) ), doing fun things will speed recovery a bit. I had a horrible experience with Salvia and it took a while to get over it but I did get over it and dipped back in for more :) Take care and safe journeys.

Honestly, it kind of just sounds like you took a regular high dose and then fought it the whole time instead of helping bring the breakthrough out. I've had plenty of experiences like you describe from smoking DMT and then keeping my eyes open and interacting with the world, which is why I don't do that anymore. They also left no impact on me whatsoever after the trips ended; truthfully, it sounds like you just brought out a mild anxiety disorder from freaking out about the trip, not from the trip itself, and that happens to people on all kinds of psychedelics all the time. As has been said, time is a great healer, you just have to work through it basically and let your subconscious see that everything's alright to get back to normal again.

Next time, just don't sit back up... though I realize this is easier said than done. Sometimes you just can't help yourself but get up and panic when an experience gets strong and happens to hit you in just the wrong way.

I agree with Kaleida that this was simply anxiety induced and that fighting it unfortunately made it much worse. It's always a risk with psychedelics and dissociatives, especially for people with anxiety. I had a similar experience with salvia that fucked me up for a while but I wouldn't worry about it, it should pass pretty soon. Just try not to think about it too much, but if you do, just look at it like its just another other life experience.

I've lost count of how many dmt trips I've had but what you described does seem odd. On dmt I've always felt more at home than I do even sober lol. I feel like my whole life isn't even a fraction of a second compared to my time spent in that state.

One time I tripped with somebody who I really didn't feel at ease around and got so bugged out that I just got up, ran inside my house, and finished my trip by myself. It was hilarious though. That chick morphed into like a giant 30+ ft tall evil clown :/

Was the dmt extracted at home? If so depending on the tek and plant matter used, maybe there's some other alkaloids besides just dmt? Like 'jungle spice' (wider range of alkaloids) or some 5-meo-dmt? I want to try some 5-meo just because I've read it has a darker side.

I get the at home comfort feeling when I take LSD but not with this for some reason! All my anxiety goes and I feel like I can truly "be me" for 12 hours when I take it.

Not sure where it was extracted I don't know much about how the drug is made tbh. I was told by a friend who hooked me up with it that it wasn't 5-meo! I did read up on it but he said he'd tried the same batch quite a few times himself and it didn't seem like it to him. He said unlike me he got all sorts of visuals and fractals and that he did actually break through on less than i took.

Last edited:
I did take a starter dose but being a retard i forgot to hold it in for longer than a second! I did then take another but I think I may have moved up a little too much to about 35ug and it gave weird visuals and a ringing with very comforting body vibrations. I think the second hit may have been the thing to set off my anxiety though because I did get a dark feeling about what was happening wondering "do I really want to delve deeper into this world it seems dangerous"

riding it out is great!
it is your experience, you need no other validation.
you are lucky
you rode it through.

If I were you I would be happy with that and get on with my life, my work, my studies etc.
you did fine

I did take a starter dose but being a retard i forgot to hold it in for longer than a second! I did then take another but I think I may have moved up a little too much to about 35ug and it gave weird visuals and a ringing with very comforting body vibrations. I think the second hit may have been the thing to set off my anxiety though because I did get a dark feeling about what was happening wondering "do I really want to delve deeper into this world it seems dangerous"

Well there you go. You let fear get the best of you.

Well good to establish that was more than likely the cause. It'll be good to know if I ever decide to take it again when ready lol

You'll be ready at some point. The key is being able to let go completely and allow the drug to take you where it wants to, that's all.

Okay I need help! I had basically the same trip last night, I took 500ug of lsd, ive. It showed me that this reality was fake and it was all something ive made up, I kept thinking about my mother as I thought she was just a figure of my imagination, as soon as I started worrying about it i realised how how much she had done for me over the years and suddenly youtube stopped. An advert of a mother was on the tv and it was about treating your mother on mothers day, at that.moment I.was completely convinced, my whole reality started to collapse. I made sure the door was unlocked as I wanted to know I wasnt stuck in my living room. The trip started getting worse and the lsd seemed asif it was slowing my sight down, or someshit and if I didnt sort it out my whole reality was gonna break. I lost my phone and could not find it anywhere, I was scared and needed to find it as I needed to to check facebook and check up on reality, my room was fucking trippy man, I was looking around.my room until I realised that if I create my own reality my phone should be everywhere.and nowhere at once, I looked down at a spot I.had checked and there it was. That was proof to me. It took me on a history lesson with all the visuals and where I turned my head it turned into something new, all I remember were dinosaurs and gorrilas, I suddenly looked at myself from an outerbody of expirence.kind of, its.so hard to explain,.from.my.conscience perspective and I saw.myself as a gorrila looking.up to the light. There was so much but its so hard to remember it. I waited it.out.and the lsd started wearing down. My visuals were still pretty intense but I felt part of this reality. A little later I got the dmt. I loaded it up and took 2 hits, I remember my lsd visuals went.straight back to a peak. The second hit I.heard the buzzing and all of a sudden the there was lots.of heavingly light. I called my.friend up who wanted to try the lsd, he said wait.for him.to get there so I.did. I took the third hit I was watching star treck haha which is.a weird.coincidence and I was immediately transported to a different dimension on a spaceship. it was not like the acid, it didnt develope over time, I.just hopped realitys straight away. I took.the pipe away.from.my.mouth, my.friend.got up and he was some kind of alternative me or the other half of me as I believe im split. I.got really scared and realised I.had broke.my whole.reality. they were pulling this.pipe out of me as I was waking up from.a very long dream and my other friend was like its okay, your here now, come in its cool. Although.he did not take the dmt he was just a sitter. Which.im.so glad he did.as.I.wouldent.know.who would have replaced him haha. It was like half my room.half spaceship. My.xbox.was a really futuristic one.and it all looked awesome, I looked at.my telly and it was looking out into space as the front of the spaceship, there was this fucking portle, or the tunnel I.think. this was.my dmt trip I was very fucking scared. My.alter self tried telling me that.it was gonna.be fun but.I.had to leave go of my body, If I was to leave.go of my ego they.would hace showed me incredible things but I.dindt know.if I would come back. I kept thinking my.alter self was trying to replace me.in.this.reality or something. Asif it was waiting for me in purgatory and I.had to leave go of this.reality to venture out there. Im only 19 I got really scared this trip has shown me that the universe is not as simple as we just general physics, there is.something behind.the fabric of like. Dmt really does send you to a completely different realm and I was not ready for the hop. I think ive seen enough from lsd, its scared me as if everyone was living in.their own simulations then I would be.alone, just.me.and my.other self who plays everyone.else. im not.sure weather I will take dmt again, but 1 thing I KNOW is that.ive smelt that smell.before, it smelt so familiar! But.I.had never taken.or.even seen.it.before. I think I will give it time until I venture on as I am.not ready for the possibility of leaving this reality behind.

This sounds like an average DMT arrogant ego death.

Oddly I've smoked DMT.... Came to 5-10 min later still in bed feeling like I just tripped yet also like I just woke up barely able to remember I tripped feeling nothing. Those were interesting.

If DMT gives you a bad trip, then you?re not ready. You should have no anxiety whatsoever before smoking DMT, as once you do the DMT takes control. If you?re anxious then put it in your drawer and leave it for another day. Go do some breathing and try to meditate a bit. The more you have on your mind the harder it will be to let go when it comes to it.

Once you feel at ease with yourself truly deep down, only then should you seek further into doing some time travel ;)

Pretty much every time I've tried DMT it has been horrifying.

I thought because I can handle 7 hits of acid and heroic doses of shrooms never having the slightest negative experience I would enjoy DMT, but I've never made it past a nightmarish second hit. Things like objects in the room becoming personified and malicious and coming toward me, my skin changing from skin to lava to bones to rocks (similar to OP), time speeding up and slowing down in rapid succession, experiencing the same stretch of time like a dozen times (or maybe I just took the same shower a dozen times?).

The most consistent thing is I always "want it to stop". My plan is to break through the next time I'm rolling, but that time hasn't come yet...

Don't try and use other substances to balance you out to use DMT. If you need to roll or whatever to trip you are not ready to break through on DMT

You do what you want to do, and I'll do what I want to do.
Not everyone believes in plant spirits or that there's a "right way" to do drugs.