• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Has a friend ever tried to convert you to Christianity?

HAHA no! Any friend I have would know better.

Better yet, I wouldn't consider such a person to be a friend!

In Age of Empires 2, converting someone with a monk means you get them to fight on your side, so that the converted starts attacking its old team. That's exactly how I think of it. You always have to take out the monks first when waging a battle in Age of Empires 2. %)

Regarding original question, I only really took note of it when a couple of people tried to covert me in college. When I was a kid, it seemed so innocent. I went to church, and like most kids I was involved in the competition of who can pay the most lip service to church while behaving the worst outside of church. Is there any church/Sunday school group that doesn't get down like this? I wouldn't know. It was fun - long live Jesus and Sunday school!

But things took a turn for the weird as I saw what Christians were like (if they stuck with it) after the age of 18 or so. They matured in a way I personally would not have predicted unless I had known better: there was this solemnity that wasn't there before. They were injected into a world of adults, and the childish, innocent antics from church would not stand. They started to get this soldier look, and formed minor persecution complexes.

Unable to leave Christ at home because he is always watching, new friends had to pass the Christ test. "If you really like me, then you will also be a soldier of Christ." Some people who I thought were just nice were really trying to change my whole life by making me put up a wall against my thought process and accept Jesus. I just can't hang out with people who take their religion seriously - they're not cool, and if I was the boss I'd separate them into a slave caste where they could use that discipline to produce textiles for us, and to find their happiness in the next life.

I really think we, as a society, are ignoring the potential these people have to offer discounted labor, and rationalize all of the rights and resources we hijack from them as God's trials.

No. I would not consider anyone who tries to convert me to Christianity a friend. To me, that's like someone offering me some crack. I used to be Christian. Fortunately I had friends who were patient with me when I tried to convert them.

No. I would not consider anyone who tries to convert me to Christianity a friend. To me, that's like someone offering me some crack. I used to be Christian. Fortunately I had friends who were patient with me when I tried to convert them.

Good analogy. (As far as the christianity to crack comparison)They had something on dateline about where people who speak in tongues have the same activity in the same regions of the brain that cocaine users do. Feeling god's presence or having a religious experience really is a chemical reaction.
:\

I had an incredibly attractive girl flirt with me and ask me out as a ruse to get me to go to her Baptitst church...she was so hot I actually considered it.

The girl who broke my heart more than any other person was my ex Christian girlfriend. She started developing a guilt trip some time after we began having sex, and decided that she needed to leave me without explanation one day, threatening a restraining order if I ever tried to contact her.

I'm a Christian, OP, and I definitely don't think you're going to hell fwiw - you seem like a decent guy. In fact, it sounds like you're more of a Christian than you're 'friend'. I totally get where you're coming from about a lot of Christians being too judgemental, it's like they miss the whole point of Christianity - it's about love, not some soapbox from which you judge others. I mean, this is so fundamental to Christianity that I can't believe there are still Christians out there that think they have the moral right to tell people that they'll go to hell.

And besides, that whole fire and brimstone thing was only invented by the clergy in the middle ages to scare people. I think Jesus only mentioned hell once in the bible and never actually described it in any detail. I believe that we create our own hell when we do bad things. To say that God would send anyone to a place of eternal punishment is to me the worst kind of blasphemy. I don't think even any human is capable of that level of sadism. After all, God is love, right?

Also, just because I consider myself a Christian doesn't mean that I think all non-Christians are somehow wrong. I think each of us has our own pathway to God.

First of all, my cards on the table: I'm a universalist. I think there are many valid paths to one source. I'm perfectly cool with anyone who accepts Jesus as THEIR guide along the path, and think he makes a pretty decent one for SOME people. But I wholly reject the idea that one needs Jesus to have genuine and quality spirituality.

This is pretty much my philosophy.

Last edited:
I have a friend that used to be my fellow psychonaut, then found Jesus and has become a Catholic monk at the age of 21, leaving his family forever behind to reside in a mountain monastery in Spain. This kid and I used to be great friends and spent many a night tripping together. Now that he is in Spain, he occasionally chats with me on FB about how he's praying for me, how I should try to find Jesus, etc... Nothing too pushy.

He is, however, trying to get me to come live at the monastery (totally free, for the entire summer) to see what the life is like. You basically wake up early, do some prayer, do manual labor, eat, pray, hangout, work, eat, sleep. I'm thinking about taking him up on the offer, since it sounds like a once in a lifetime experience, but I'm thinking its all just a ploy to try to get me to convert to Catholicism...

^^Wow cool! Can I go???

My Mom raised us Athiest (which I dont agree with) and so my Mexican/Catholic family was ALWAYS trying to convert us. A few years ago my husband asked me to go to (episcopal)church with him as he had a wonderful experience when we was in his teens going there. I went and fell in love. We go all the time now and he is even on the vestry....so I guess you could say he converted me??

We do have one friend that has tried dilegently to convert us and just about everyone else to Atheism...its SO annoying!! I am adamantly against trying to "convert" anyone! What you do in your life, what you believe in the deepest of your soul--is your fucking business! Like Larry David said "I like lobster, but I'm not going around telling everyone 'You HAVE to try lobster!! Your life will change if you just try lobster!!'" Its the same with religion. And I think my ex was the same way, always talking shit about organized religion, who cares???