• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Has a friend ever tried to convert you to Christianity?

Check out process theology, it has some interesting (and pretty profound) ways of addressing this question. This school of philosophy did grow out of the Christian tradition, but is by no means limited to it or by it.

i had a proferssor at university who was very much into process philosophy. unfortunatly, he did not give any courses on that subject at our university, only at a sister university. while Teilhard does indeed start from the inherent christian roots of eschatology and teleology, Whitehead takes a position that is a strange and rather unique dialogue/mixture of buddhism and christianity at it. i read "Religion in the Making" by Whitehead, and its an excellent little book. not even that long, only a good 250 pages in a relatively big font, if i remember correctly. recommended!

edit: this just really struck me as a very clear expression of something i completely subscribe to: (from the wikipedia page) "Process theology affirms that God is working in all persons to actualize potentialities. In that sense each religious manifestation is the Divine working in a unique way to bring out the beautiful and the good. Additionally, scripture and religion represent human interpretations of the divine. In this sense pluralism is the expression of the diversity of cultural backgrounds and assumptions that people use to approach the Divine." (a quote from C.R. Mesle, apparently)

Last edited:
pertaining the 'intention' thing, ie. the interpreter of the hermeneutic circle; i would like to add that he is not the sole proponent. he is the active (masculine) part though. but one should certainly not underestimate the book. it plays the passive, resisting (feminine) role. a truly spirirtually profound book will allow for abyssal depths, in a sense that the 'resitance' can become completely unnoticeable, to the point of virtually disappearing in itself. as such, it can lead the self to itself. and this is the point where ones 'intention' becomes virtually the sole proponent. it is a bit like an artist selecting his material. some materials will allow for greater freedom then others, and the material itself also expresses a certain 'color'/feel (ie. a plastic cup vs. a wooden cup). and has limits pertaining to what it allows for. the material, in a passive way, has certain qualities that will co-determine the expression that is the end-product, but in the way of a 'resistance', passively. this is extremely simplified, in order to give you an idea. if this interests you; i'd refer you to Heideggers "Der Ursprung des Kunstwerkes" ("The Origin of the Work of Art") (and a good secondary work; if one is inexperienced with Heideggers convolutions)

Last edited:
I had a guy stop me in the street to talk about Jesus and christianity and thinking I was a clever cunt I told him I believed in evolution and he told me ''yes, we've all evolved my friend''... That pissed on my chips.

na but this russian dude at my college did.
i have`no interest in christianity (other than gnostic) so i refused every time he invited me to bible study. then one day i was like "fuckit i'll go there bent." i drank a bottle of robitussin a half pint of vodka and smoked a blunt. when i got there i was hard the whole time cuz of the hot christians girls i wanted to get to leave the faith and cum to the party in my pants. i never got to fuck any of them so i just fucked the wanna be hippie 18 year old stoner bitches.
i found out one of them was 16 years old and a genius or some shit after, but that's half legal in MA so fuck it.

Azzazza: I almost always reply to posts on a point by point basis and do so in chronological order. However, in replying to your last 3 posts there are some lengthly diatribes involving off-subject nonsense that I will have to leave for the end of my replies since I so not feel it would be right to subect the 1.6 people who MAY just read these lengthly posts.

To BLers: With THAT said, I also do not feel that it would be fair to begin replying without first outlining some of the more arcane terminology and their proper definitions, so that anyone who may be interested in reading these posts might do so with a more complete understanding of the "issues" discussed there in.

Luckily, that should only focus on 3 terms:

I) "Heremeneutic Circle.": "Hermeneutics" is actually the study of how texts are interpreted. It actually is a Jewish science coopted by Hellenists (most often erroneously attributed to Aristotle in the seminal "Peri Hemenias"). There is an almost comical misunderstanding of the etymology of the word "Hermeneutics" which attributes the root word "Hermenetikos" to the Greek G-D "Hermes." In reality the root of the word is HEBREW : "Tel HaEmet" ("The Mountain of The Truth"), which if you really want to get deeper into the root, is a double entendre that in this sense deals with Torah (Scipturural) Exegis which predates Aristotle by almost half a millenia.

In the modern world, Hermeneutics is rooted in the still viable science of "Biblical Hermeneutics." Far be it from me, unlike some, to just run with assumptions but it does seem to me that Azzazza believes this science to be purely a Philospohical pursuit, based upon his/her comments on sources and the scant explanations he/she began offering in this/her last 3 posts.

Azzazza tells me that I should acquaint myself with the works of Philosphers like Schleiermarcher, Heidegger and Gadamer when in fact Azzazza should have known that those 3 Philosphers only relate the to sub-genre of "Philosphical-Hermeneutics," This sub-genre would not even exist were it not for "Biblical-Hermeneutics," which in turn would not exist without...JEWISH THEOLOGICAL TRADITION.

Seems that Hermeneutics would be yet ANOTHER area where Azzazza would greatly benefit from a study of context, history and yes...CULTURE.

The specific term "Hermeneutic Circle" was coined by Schleiermarcher to denote the then burgeoning science of "Textual Interpretation." He offered that any dated text (actually any text if you take it to the next logical step) MUST be interpreted only after a decent grounding in that text's HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL CONTEXT (where did I hear THAT highlighted point before?).

This then served as a baseline for the works of Heidegger and Gadamer (all mentioned by Azzazz) as well as many others.

II) "Humes Guillotine.": This is directly attributed to a man I happen to greatly admire, David Hume. Hume was a Scotts Philospher (and Renaissance Man) who lived at the close of the 18th Century CE/AD.

Hume had a problem with all people, but especially theologians who jumped from a known and accepted point to conjecture without any qualifying interjecture (I believe "interjecture" is the correct word in English). It is popularly dumbed-down to the all too simple dynamic "Ought From Is." In other words, authors would be talking about a widely accepted fact ("Is"), then without any intermediate text begin speaking about possibilities ("Oughts").

This subject really is besides the point (of the subjects being discussed in THIS thread) EXCEPT to offer BLers who otherwise MIGHT not know a proper grounding for the term "Humes Guillotine." The term itself, in my view, was used in a non-sensical manner by Azzazz.

III) "Naturalistic Fallacy.": This term, as Azzazz DID correctly note is often INCORRECTLY used interchangably with "Humes Guillotine." It DOES share some commonalities but is nowhere near synonymous. It is rooted in the word of modern Philospher G.E.Moore.

As I pointed out to Azzam, phrased II and III are extremely basic (I.e."101") concepts that any educated 18 years old should know fairly well. Indeed "Guillotine" is part of every "Ethics 101" curriculum I have ever examined (I have, for various reasons, examined my share).

Now to Azzam...

I) " 'Hermeneutic Circle' is often incorrectly interchangably used with the term 'Naturalistic Fallacy.": YES, but might you have told us the definitions since you assumed I did not already know it. While I did, many BLers will not.

What you COULD have stated was that it basically comes down to the relatively simple dynamic of, "The existence of Moral Knowledge versus the non-existence there of as opined by Moral Skepticism, et al." Spread the joy (sarcasm).

II) "The Bible is NOT a historical account.": I suggest you obtain and read a copy of Maccabbi I (yes, now I too am assuming something, that have never read it OR ELSE how would you make such a blatantly incorrect claim in such a definative manner?). That is without even mentiopning incredibly simple things like the Herodians, or the Miracle Workers of Galille and hundreds of othrt similar and very basic historical dynamics ALL entirely correct in New Testament reportage.

Indeed, this historical dynamics help us to fairly evaluate the allegorical portions. How can you evaluate a parable without knowing the forces shaping the mindset of its author(s)? Oh,wait, I forgot, Hirsch's viewpoint is negated because you never evenexamined it (besides good old common sense). I hope you marry a post-modernist.

III)"The Bible is a spiritual manifest.": YES, that contains well established and verified historical and cultural dynamics that shape the work. If one were free to absolutely interpret the work, it would not need to exist. If one can just ascribe an message at all the written word is devoid of any and all importance.

Now, the usual retort will be that the tome serves as a (insert "loose" usually) guideline with which to study the work. However, you cannot have it both ways. IF you engage in some post-Heidegger nonsense about texts gaining meaning devoid of the author and his or her formative experiences and views fine, but outside of theoretical claptrap its meaningless. Readers do not shape anything in and of themselves though one MAY take some of Gadamer's viewpoint on how the reader's subjectiveness will inevitably colour interpretation (though nos the jist which is tothe extreme of the reader departing ALL meaning). This is EXACTLY WHY people need to study the dynamics I briefly mentioned in my original (rather 2nd) post: HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL AT TIME OF COMPOSITION.

IV) "Texts are READ as ALLEGORIES where people can find their own direction and meaning.": IF you suscribe to Gadamer and post-Gadamer theory but as I said, you did not even bother defining the terms you used, much less examined them. The reader is entirely responsible for the impartation of "meaning?"

Your entire point here hinges on the acceptance of post-Gadamer theory! You obviously do not see the irony in unequivocally stating what a "reader" does and does not take from a text, while subscribing to theoretical claptrap that imparts total subjectivty towards the understanding of a text!

IF the reader shapres meaning (in entierty), who are you to dictate what said meaning is?

I will continue shortly.

AZZAZZ CONTINUED...

V)"There ARE historical accounts that CAN BE used to foster a grounding in the historical context of the Bible.": WAIT! In Point IV you said people read the Bible "as allegories where people can find direction and meaning." If IV is correct, why make V? You are slipping.

VI)"People can then utilise those historical accounts (as outlined in Point V) to gain a grounding in the Bible. This is valid.": Thanks for the permission BUT you just sha* on the entire basis for your entire screed.

VII) "If this same person uses this same historical grounding to draw conclusions upon the spirtual content of the Bible, he or she is wrong." What about Point IV? IF people will naturally see what they want to see what the fuc* does Point VI and VII have to do with it?

VIII) "Even with said historical grounding, a person still cannot draw conclusions on the spiritual validity of the Bible.": You can however draw these spiritual conclusions when you are free to spiritually interpret the Bible in a totally subjective manner!

IX) "Rachamim and anyone else today is so far removed from the era in which these texts were composed that he/they cannot correctly draw any conclusions.": Jewish Culture today would be almost totally recognisable to almost any Jew from the Biblical Era. If you actually studied the relevant culture and history you would know this.

X) "The Bible has been copied and translated from the original so much that today it cannot be clearly studied simply by focusing on the era of its suspected authorship.": IT CAN IF YOU ACTUALLY FOLLOW MY ADVICE: Study the text(s) in their original languages and from earliest extant copies, or later works utilising lost copies from the earlier works.

XI) "Rachamim allows his own sbjective bias to cloud his interpretations/views of the New Testament.": All humans are vulnerable to subjectiive to one degree or another. However, very careful, meticulous study and deliberate objectivity can work wonders.

I will continue...

AZZAZZA PART III:

XII) "Rachamim is forcing the Bible into a historical context.": Among your many mistakes Azzazza, almost all hinging on your pretentiousness and asumption, is in assuming that I EVER claimed that the Bible was ahistoic document. Indeed, if you even bother to dismount that fantabulous soapbox you perched yourself upon, you just might notice how I often placed the qualifying ("If he even existed") next to my mentioning of Jesus Christ.

However, as one who whole heartedly supports Hircsch's Theory that "meaning" is entirely imparted by author(s), and that interpretation must assimiltate historical and cultural context of said authorship, I maintain that anyone attemptng to gain anything more than a cursory understanding of what the Bible represents needs to first research (well) those historical and cultural dynamics I have been mentioning. For the record "Cultural" also includes Judaic Theology (up until the point of authorship of whichever portion is being studied) since Jewish Culture and Jewish Religion are so tightly intertwined.

XIII) "The Bible is NOT a historical account! Jesus' existence is not even a proven historical fact!": Hahaahha, proving once again that you have not bothered to read my posts (HINT: "IF he even existed)! Ahhh, the exuberance of youth.

As I just told you in one of my 2 earlier posts today, entire Biblical Books ARE historical accounts, and major portions of most other Books are historically sound as well but that is missing the point. The point is that authors are shaped by external forces and these forces need to be considered and weighed in any attempt to evaluate any text.

XIV) "The Bible's meaning is enormously influenced by modern liturgies.": Uh, no, not at all. The MEANING FOR IGNORANT CONSUMERS OF MODERN LITURGIES IS INFLUENCED. If one bothers to educate one's self it does not present a problem (as long focuses on deliberate objectivity during study).

XV) "Point XIV illustrates another example of 'wacky' Hermeneutic Circular Theory/Dynamic.": What do "they" say about the word "ASSUME?"

XVI) "Azzazza is totally prepared to listen to Rachamim's viewpoints on these issues...": Yes, as illustrated by your post beginning, "Don't bother (replying to my posts." Thanks, got it will file it.

XVII) "Rachamim should NOT try and tell Azzazz that Rachamim is objective with regard to Christianity.": At least as objective as Azzazz is with regard to Rachamim. However, as I have stated in this very thread, and do so often elsehwere on BL, no human can ever be truly objective. We are imbued with ingrained bias, for better or worse. With careful deliberation and great effort we can shed most of our subjectiveness. I believe I do a very good job in this endeavour. Of course I ASSUME you do not agree. Perhaps, instead of what SEEMS TO BE your usual blanket indictments you might try to offer up one or two examples of my lack of objectivity.

XVIII) "Rachamim just might want to look into Hermeneutics.": And you MIGHT want to look into getting a boxed set of DVDs for the wonderful American sitcom "The Odd Couple." Neil Simon is quite the wordsmith, what a wit. One of my favourite episodes involves Felix (Tony Randall) "schooling" Oscar (Jack Klugman) on the word..."ASSUME."

My,my,my, what an episode THAT was.

XIX) BLers: Azzazza then offered an enormously long Cut and Paste from a source he/she labels, "A Christian Think Tank" (please, no comments about oxymorons, or even morons). This Cut and Paste is this source's highly subjective take on Matthew 15. Matthew 15 of course is the New Testament section which I have been focusing on, the portion where Jesus denigrates all non-Jews as mangy bitches/begging dogs.

Azzazza: I appreciate the time and effort involved in your locating, and then supplying that long exceprt but its intent (your action that is) in doing so is entirely lost to me.

The excerpt is one group making things up, case in point being the placement of Jesus et al inside a "house" when dealing with the woman. Such liberties change context, refocus attention and serve absolutely no purpose towards your attempt to illustrate what you believe to be (apparently) subjectivity/lack of objectivity effecting understanding/mental interpretation of a text.

If a person does as I stated, LEARN KOINE, or ven MIDDLE GREEK, they will be quite able to read Matthew as it was written, not as how some English speakering modernists wish it was written.

IF a person ALSO were to study the historic and cultural contests relevant to this Book, they may gain a much greater understanding of the author(s)' intent (assuming, as I do, that since Jesus never existed, either did this reported event.

That except was precious though! "From the Greek 'Inside Puppy Pets'." Haahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahaaahahhaa. This exchange is worth it simply for that piece of "puppy poop."

XX) "Azzazza tends to only argue on ABSTRACT levels...": REALLY?

XXI) "Such abstract ponderings are NOT for general consumption.": Hahahahaha, because AZZAZZA IS SPECIAL!

There ARE historical accounts that CAN BE used to foster a grounding in the historical context of the Bible.": WAIT! In Point IV you said people read the Bible "as allegories where people can find direction and meaning." If IV is correct, why make V? You are slipping.

VI)"People can then utilise those historical accounts (as outlined in Point V) to gain a grounding in the Bible. This is valid.": Thanks for the permission BUT you just sha* on the entire basis for your entire screed.

my position here is indeed that of this 'postmodern theoretical claptrap.' I do think Gadamer makes a good point. also, exegesis is not hermeneutics. furthermore, its etymology is unsure. you make it sound as if its Hebrew root is the 'objective' one (sarcasm). you even manage to deem the proposed greek root as a 'comical' farce. i'd wager to say you probably didn't even know of the possible Hebrew root before reading the wiki page on hermeneutics. and you manage to turn it into your personal 'objective' victory.

anyway,
the above quoted does not mean i $hat on my own base. it means that i do not value your 'objective' historical account base as any more valuable in coming to an interpretation of the spirituality in the Bible. your position on its spirituality does not gain any weight by being historical. it is a point of view you wish to interpret its spiritual texts through (given that you attacked the spiritual truth of christianity). as such, i say that the spiritual conclusions you wish to draw from your journey through the text say a lot more about yourself then about the book itself or christianity as a whole. don't hold your historical escapades as the objective interpretation of a spiritual work, and certainly not as morally binding on that basis. if you do wish to do so, that effectively constitutes fundamentalism.

on a side note, im sincerely starting to doubt any of your claims at sincere ('objective') historics. in your posts before, you went into detail about the translation of 'begging dog' from greek. yet you seemed to have entirely missed what the thinktank site mentioned about it being in the diminuitive form? that is strange. all you seem to be able to do is laugh at it from your exuberant and 'objective' learnings. Given the devotion you exibit in your other point by point basis, i am assuming you have little if any substance to reply with. please do feel free to substatiate your translational findings with your extensive knowledge of middle greek.
also, the wordings in your etymological escapade on hermeneutics are *very* far from the neutral you wish to associate yourself with.
furthermore, the fact that you seem to have to stress in explicit wordings again and again how objective your postion is makes me even more wary, to be honest.

im going to be frank here: perhaps you should do some real research instead of making mindboggelingly long posts on your personal supremacy with very little substance, save for some rebranded pre-chewed propagandism.

the parallel passage in Mark 7.24-29:
Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of Tyre. He entered a house and did not want anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his presence secret. 25 In fact, as soon as she heard about him, a woman whose little daughter was possessed by an evil spirit came and fell at his feet. 26 The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter. 27 "First let the children eat all they want," he told her, "for it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs." 28 "Yes, Lord," she replied, "but even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs." 29 Then he told her, "For such a reply, you may go; the demon has left your daughter."

as of yet, i don't think i will be divulging in this discussion with you any longer. this has taken more then enough of my time. i think my position is clear enough. i'll let things speak for themselves now. especially the last half of your last post.

XXI) "Such abstract ponderings are NOT for general consumption.": Hahahahaha, because AZZAZZA IS SPECIAL!
perhaps you should learn to read (objectively). i try to keep my arguing abstract because of the
general applicability
of an abstract position.

Last edited:
Capstone: I) "Judaisim is the forerunner of the ancient pagan religions...": I just castigated Azzazza for "ASSUMING" so I do not want to jump into that same huge quagmire myself. However, even I a non-native English speaker can easily recognise your improper usage of "Forerunner." Indeed, Judaisim DOES predate many pagan faiths now considered ancient, but IF your intention was to express that Judaisim ITSELF utilised some pagan belief systems as it developed, OF COURSE, THAT would be correct. Nothing develops in a vaccum.

However, the real question that needs to be asked, what in the world is "Christian Sun Worship?" Are you referring to the appropriation of Greco-Roman beliefs related to equinox? If so, they compose only a tiny portion of that faith's belief system and indeed, in modern terms not every sect has retained these practices.

II) "Why do people need a middleman to get to G-D?": They do not. Judaisim abhors such things. Rabbis serve only as a chorus leader if you will, they have not super-human attributes (i.e. "Absolution of Sin," etc.).

They do not even perform marriages in the strictest sense of the word. In the West most nations, states, etc. have laws requiring wedding officiants but in the theological sense the Rabbi serves no purpose either in a wedding OR in any religious service.

Sunna Islam claims these same points (though in practice rarely practices it). Shi'a Islam takes a diametrically opposed stance imparting super natural qualities to clergy, a belief in saints, etc.

Your comment/belief really only addresses most forms of Christianity and a plethora of tiny tribal faiths.

Raw: "How can G-D be an entity, yet have pronouns attacked, such as "HE," HIM" and "HIS?" You actually answer this in Point IV, yourself so I will simply proceed.

II) "IF G-D is beyond objectification, how can humans even acknowledge HIS existence?" How can we acknolwedge the existence of air? We cannot actually see it. It is everywhwere, It is beyond actual human comprehension and yet it is so very common and basic. G-D is everything, and yet HE can NOT be pinned down to specificify.

III) "Doesn't conceptualisation of G-D thereby impart existence?": If you mean "specificity," no. Are intellects are extremely limited.

Case in point, ask an atheist, how matter entered existence, they will self assuredly talk about gas, etc. But ask how the first molecule came to fruition. Our minds cannot even approach that. Imgaine then the entire scheme of the universe?

IV) "Perhaps we use approximations in conceptualising the Creator."f Now you hit it on the head. That is all we can do.

MyDoor: "Process Theology emanated from the Christian Worldview but is no longer firmly rooted in it.": Interesting that you would bring the subject up as yet another thread devoted to "Freewill" popped up on the board. That being what it is.

Yes, the codified outlook IS rooted in Christianity, but the outlook itself predeates it by about 2300 years. Philo was pounding many of those nails long before Whitehead's and Hartshorn's ancestors had even heard of Christ (let alone the fact that Christianity itself offers little originality on any level).

I hesitate to even bring it there because it will seem that I claim every philosophical innovation has Judaic roots. However, how wild a claim is it when we are discussing either of the other 2 Ethical Monotheistic faiths?

I have not taken a look at that new Freewill thread yet but perhaps there will be room (for me) to show the interplay between Process Theology and Freewill (such as the "Freewill Defence" and how it plays out when dealt with on that line of reasoning, etc.).

Check out process theology, it has some interesting (and pretty profound) ways of addressing this question. This school of philosophy did grow out of the Christian tradition, but is by no means limited to it or by it.

%) Ah my friend, you wouldn't believe the number of books written and lives spent trying to come up with an adequate way of approximating and getting a taste of what an ineffable ultimate being might be like. I really think language is ultimately limited in this regard -- it's a great tool for exploring other human beings, since this is what we designed it, as a tool, to do. But language loses its efficacy the farther from a human being the subject of your verbal analysis is. In this regard, it's almost impossible to put something into words without putting it into human terms, or inherently comparing it to a person, whether you mean to or not. Everyone I've read or talked to who has been something of a seeker, has stressed that any words they use to express spiritual truths are ultimately crude approximations, and don't do justice to the firsthand experiences these writers have had.

I really think ethereal and awe-inspiring artforms that are wordless often do a better job getting one in touch with the ineffable than words, for many people. I think of that deep, almost black indigo color of the sky right after twilight on a clear day, or the sound of deep, rumbling bass reverberations in a place with good acoustics. Or echoes through a cavernous space.

That said, it is still VERY FUN, I find, to read theological, metaphysical, and other spiritual works, and challenge the writer to move me profoundly -- to do their best to use words to give me the sense of something beyond words.

While I don't disagree that there is a plethora of things that our human languages cannot describe (the psychedelic experience being one of them), I fail to see how any 'other' 'conscious' being falls outside our sphere of experience. Sure, they might be able to do things we can't, they might have a completely different thought process or a substitute for classical logic. These aspects still remain abstracted from the concept of an entity/being. Just as not all basketballs are red, and not all spoons made of steel, so a being is not necessarily something as limited as a human. This in no way implicitly precludes it from being communicated with or forming relationships in a similar fashion to us.

Azzazza once again...

POST II and POST III:

Nothing but personal asides so these can be ignored.

POST IV:

I) "There IS a difference between "Exegis" and "Hermeneutics.": "Exegis" is the STUDY of texts, primarily Biblical. "Hermeneutics" is the STUDY of the METHODOLOGY OF STUDY of texts, primarily Biblical. So, on one hand you have the "study," on the other you have the "study OF the study." YES, there IS a difference. However, outside of community college classrooms and commons there is no real distinction worth making (sarcasm to a point). I will resist the urge to call you out and move onto the next Point.

II)"The provenance of the word "Hermeneutic" is far from tied down as Rachamim claims in denigrating those who link it to the Greek deity Hermes, and in claiming its roots lie in the Hebrew 'Har HaEmet' (Mountain of Truth).": ACTUALLY, it is a fact, research the word and the given Hebrew phrase and you will find a well documented and linear connection. I will address your off subject insults, as I stated in 4 posts ago, when I conclude my replies to you concerning subject matter.

III) " Azzazza did NOT defeat his/herself in running convoluted figure eights in and out of 'spiritual' versus 'historical' context, etc. It was simply that Azzazza did NOT value Rachamim's take on the neccessity of socio-historical context with regard to understanding texts (that claim to represent factual events).": Thanks for clearing that up (sarcasm).

IV) "Azzazza than repeats his/herself in regurgitating the same empty argument he/she has been saying all along: Spiritual texts negate any prerequisites relating to socio-historical knoweldge of the author and era of authorship.": Ditto.

V) "Rachamim attacked the spiritual truth of Christianity.": Absolutely, as did you in questioning the historical fact of Jesus' very existence. That factoid is sancrosanct to the Christian theology (take your pick, it is absolutely vital to all). You MAY (in your case almost certaonly though far be it from me to ASSUME) argue that you did NOT "question" Christ's existence so much as you acknowwledged its debated status. Your doing so also is a huge sin in the Christian worldview so cash the check already and stop playing games.

VI) "Rachamim's spiritual conclusions about Christianity say far more about Rachamim than they ever do about Christianity OR the New Testament.": Actually, I referred to only one verse out of the entire tome so you really have no clue either way, and par for course are merely engaging in snide ad hom attacks, something you accuse me of but I am getting ahead of myself.

VII) "Rachamim's views constitute fundamentalism.": You make absolutely no sense. Fundamentalism stems from a verbatim interpretation. IF YOU HAVE THAT WRONG JUST IMAGINE...

More to follow...

Last edited:
No, I don't know if any of my friends are Christians or not, but I suspect not.

When I visit her, my mother occasionally tries to instill some good old-fashioned Catholic Guilt in me, but in reality she gave up when I was about 5 and told her that "God isn't real"

Most of my peers from my birth-country are somewhat against organised religion, as a result of abuses of position, trust and influence by the previous generations clergy.

Haha no, because I would never become friends with a person that would be the type to proselytize. No surprise that I have only 1 truly religious friend. She came about her faith in a very respectable way (she's bi and Christian... work it out...).

Those who want to be saved will ask, so shut the hell up til I bring it up, k?

contrary to what i said, i will devote a little more of my time to this. since you keep asking so politely. or should i say, "manging like a bitch"

I) "There IS a difference between "Exegis" and "Hermeneutics.": "Exegis" is the STUDY of texts, primarily Biblical. "Hermeneutics" is the STUDY of the METHODOLOGY OF STUDY of texts, primarily Biblical. So, on one hand you have the "study," on the other you have the "study OF the study." YES, there IS a difference. However, outside of community college classrooms and commons there is no real distinction worth making (sarcasm to a point). I will resist the urge to call you out and move onto the next Point.
^you have such a nice way of admitting a point, then covering it all up in sophistry, just to save your pretty ego. you already started doing this in your previous reply to my previous post. the sly 'community college' ad hom just to top it off. marvellous.
a few more appalling sophisms:
-reiterations of my words with subtle, and sometimes less then subtle difference as to what i say. eg. putting words in my mouth. quote them in my own words please (seeing as you make so much effort to be objective?).
-breaking up your argument in little pieces. in which you offer little more then sidestream commentations, sophistry, sly and less sly ad homs. hide the substance of your argument in wall of text and endless essentially trivial points, as to make the core of your argument as comfortably numb as possible. divide and conquer, i guess. what did you exactly say on my position, besides that it is 'empty'? or refute the site's take on matthew 15,21 only by saying its "made up".
subtle..

also, i make 1 strict ad hom remark (clearly notifying you that i will frankly tell you how i feel about your argumentation style), and 1 calculated wager, based on your initial reception of my mention of the hermeneutic circle, and you call me out on it? count the dozen you made. especially that plethora at the end of your previous reply was really begging for it.

pertaining fundamentalism: ad verbatim is an expression used to denote a classic characteristic of fundamentalism. it is not its definition. in fact, the reality is circular. in case you haven't noticed; words by themselves also change in nuances and meaning over time. there is no single atemporally univocal linguistic word in the universe. an ad verbatim interpretation will still not be univocal by means of the words themselves. fundamentalism is taking 1 possible interpretation, and make it THE ONLY TRUE interpretation possible, to put it in first grader wordings. or more elaboratly: it means closing off an interpretation inside the word. neither the word or the interpretation are normally closed. a fundamentalist closes off both the words themselves in the text and the interpretation of a text as a whole in an artifical atemporal stasis. it becomes no longer dynamic, and as such the operative hermeneutic circle becomes a solidified, closed-off foundation.

now lets see what i turned up in less then half an hour of personal research on matthew 15,21.

the Byzantine Majority Greek New Testament:
15:26 o de apokriqeis eipen ouk estin kalon labein ton arton twn teknwn kai balein tois kunariois
15:27 h de eipen nai kurie kai gar ta kunaria esqiei apo twn yixiwn twn piptontwn apo ths trapezhs twn kuriwn autwn

as you can see; kynarion, κυνάριον (dog, household dog, little dog) does not equal kyon, κύων ((stray) dog, bitch (in both technical and pejorative senses), offensive person). the text clearly uses the diminuitive form, which is traditionally used by the Greeks for referring to their beloved dogs.

here is another (random exegesis) note how strange it is they (this one and the one i posted earlier) come to wholly different conclusions on the same basis as you do.
VERSES 21-28: THE CANAANITE WOMAN

21Jesus went out from there, and withdrew into the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22Behold, a Canaanite woman came out from those borders, and cried (Greek: ekrazen –– cried out, clamored, screamed), saying, "Have mercy on me, Lord, you son of David! My daughter is severely demonized!" (Greek: kakos daimonizetai –– badly or wickedly demon-possessed). 23But he answered her not a word.

His disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away; for she cries after us."
24But he answered, "I wasn't sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
25But she came and worshiped him, saying, "Lord, help me."

26But he answered, "It is not appropriate to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."

27But she said, "Yes, Lord, but even the dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters' table."

28Then Jesus answered her, "Woman, great is your faith! Be it done to you even as you desire." And her daughter was healed from that hour.

"Jesus went out from there, and withdrew into the region of Tyre and Sidon" (v. 21). Jesus moves from Gennesaret, on the shore of the Sea of Galilee, to Tyre and Sidon, respectively 25 and 50 miles north of Galilee on the Mediterranean shore. This is Gentile country.

"Behold, a Canaanite woman came out from those borders" (v. 22a). "The term 'Canaanite' has inevitable associations with the pagan inhabitants of Palestine displaced by the Jews and thus contrasts the woman all the more with the people of God" (Hagner).

The woman "came out from those borders, and cried (ekrazen –– cried out, clamored, screamed) saying, 'Have mercy on me, Lord, you son of David" (v. 22b). The woman addresses Jesus both as "Lord" and "son of David," words that a Jew might use for the Messiah. We are surprised to hear such words on the lips of a Canaanite woman. Only once before has Jesus heard such words, even from his disciples (14:33).

"My daughter is severely demonized" (kakos daimonizetai –– badly or wickedly demon-possessed) (v. 22c). This is an issue that we would expect Jesus to address quickly and gladly, and he does exorcise demons elsewhere (8:28 - 9:1; Mark 1:21-28; Luke 8:2).

"But he answered her not a word" (v. 23). This is hard to imagine!

"Send her away; for she cries after us" (v. 23). The disciples, offended by the woman's screaming, ask Jesus to send her away. The woman has addressed Jesus as Lord, but the disciples fail to do so as they tell Jesus to send her away.

While Jesus does not send her away, he answers the disciples (not the woman), "I wasn't sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel" (v. 24). Jesus cannot allow himself to be distracted. He has a whole nation to save. But Jesus disappoints us here.

But the worst is yet to come! She kneels before him and begs, "Lord, help me" (v. 25). But Jesus responds, "It is not appropriate to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs" (v. 26). Surely those words did not come from Jesus' mouth!

"It helps to recognize that this is a story told from a Jewish point of view…. The recurring theme of Matthew's narrative (is) that the gospel belongs first to Israel" (Brueggemann, 449).

It also helps to remember that Jesus tries to slow the pace of disclosure (see John 2:4). He is pacing himself. After the resurrection, Jesus will open the door to the Gentiles (28:18-20). Until then, he must give the Israelites every chance.

"Yes, Lord, but even the dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters' table" (v. 27). The woman notices that Jesus used the word, not for stray dogs that wander the streets (Greek: kuon), but for household pets (Greek: kunariois). Pets are not outsiders but insiders. She calls Jesus on it! We can almost see the gleam in her eye as she senses the power of her comment. While acknowledging her modest place, she claims her rightful, if modest, privileges.

Jesus responds exuberantly, "Woman, great is your faith! Be it done to you even as you desire" (v. 28). After parrying hostile religious leaders and prodding balky disciples, Jesus finds this faith-filled woman a joy! He delights in allowing her to best him –– a truly remarkable contrast to the high-powered men who fail time after time to do so.

"And her daughter was healed from that hour" (v. 28b). Hallelujah! We are almost as pleased as she is!
source

by now i became curious as to how your interpretation came to be.
an author notes in The Sage Journals here:
417.jpeg

so it appears we have Greek translated text, and a Jewish tradition. we do not have the original Hebrew text. even if we did, it is highly unlikely the gospel of Matthew was written by an eye-witness. the text is thus certainly not a simple penned down version of Jesus his (historical) words. this is the first uncertainty. furthermore: Did Jesus actually say 'dog'? being a Jew, that would be in the in the Jewish sense. or did the translator use his own greek term to denote the nuances of the dialogue? even if we take it literally as written in the greek text and take in the Jewish traditional interpretation of 'all dogs' when Jesus speaks the word, Jesus may very well be teaching his disciples not to fall prey to the Jewish habit of disdain to outsiders, seeing as how he sets himself up for the woman to best him (cf. the first exegesis i referred to on the previous page).
now, its seems we are very far from a univocal, objective historical interpretation based on historical sources, don't we?

Requoted for spiritual truth (perhaps its no coincidence you chose this passage?):

Jesus responds exuberantly, "Woman, great is your faith! Be it done to you even as you desire" (v. 2. After parrying hostile religious leaders and prodding balky disciples, Jesus finds this faith-filled woman a joy! He delights in allowing her to best him –– a truly remarkable contrast to the high-powered men who fail time after time to do so.

you sure make a lot of racket when voicing your doxai.

Last edited:
This thread needs splitting. I count at least 3 topics, including the OP.

I stormed out of the apartment and went somewhere else. I just don't see why an all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-loving God would send a good dude like me to hell. Although I don't believe in heaven or hell, it would be freakin sweet if Hitler is burning in hell as I type. I've had Christians tell me that anyone who is not baptized is going to hell. Why would their great God send a good person (as in one day I want a wife and kids, and I'll raise my kids to the best of my ability) like me to HELL. Give me a freakin break here!

It seems that Christianity has turned into the religion of judging-people-for-no-good-reason-assholes. What happened to "Only God can judge me"? Why the hell do some Christians feel the need to judge others for being different?

I am an agnostic as well (unofficially a non-practicing Christian), and I always come back to this same rational when discussing this. I have nothing against Christianity, and non-invasive Christians, and I do believe/know that faith has done a lot of good for some people who really needed to get their lives together... BUT the ends do not necessarily make these means (in a Christian's case) the *only* means to a happy, content life.

I was raised in a very religious family, who luckily (although there's been pressure) have let me make my own decisions for the most part. As I've gotten older, they have realized I can't/don't want to live that lifestyle right now so they generally let me be. Being an agnostic, I have never totally ruled out the idea of a higher lifeforce, and I suppose certain aspects of my Christian upbringing have been lodged into my subconscious regardless.

Getting back to what you said specifically, every time I think of it I just CANNOT get my head around the idea that Adolf Hitler is burning in the same hell as my friend's father (recently passed away- insert whoever here)... a guy who raised his kids well and worked hard for those he loved his entire life... a guy who was Catholic, but not all that practicing of one as he didn't read the Bible and pray every day like some of the extremists will claim you *need* to do on a near-daily basis to get to heaven!!

And even if he wasn't technically Catholic... so what? He was a good man by all accounts and I refuse to believe he has a spot in hell near Hitler, Stalin, Jack the Ripper, etc. If the requirements for "heaven" are THAT strict and specific.... then I guess God will be sending 99% of the world to hell.

I dunno. Stuff like that is why I have trouble with the concept.

One of my good buddies goes on a rant about how I am "leading a lost, sad life" because I'm agnostic
didn't your mom tell you not to hang out with brainwashed religious people?

bad, bad mother! forgot to do her job

I sort of feel for them in a way. I mean, if you are wholeheartedly Christian and truly believe that those who do not accept Christ will in fact go to a horrible place of indescribable punishments for eternity...
... doesn't that obligate you to try and save your friends? By saying, well, it's your choice, I don't push my religion on others - yet I truly believe that you are headed for the worst fate possible... You're a bit of a neglectful prick if you don't try to save your friends right?

I don't know, that's just how I've felt in the past when Christian friends have tried to talk me over. Sure, I still don't agree with them, but at least I can respect that they are being strong in their own beliefs.