• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Hallucinogenic Opiates?

Kratom is mildly visual at high doses. Lots of crawling/sparkles/trails type stuff in the dark.

I've heard pentazocine (Talwin) can be very visual.

Levorphanol is a potent opioid and an NMDA antagonist. With that in mind perhaps racemorphan, also including the NMDA antagonism of dextrorphan, would be a more effective opioid hallucinogenic.

I concur - kratom has some definitely low-end psychedelic effects. I can recall one time years ago where my entire field of view was changed, with saturated colors and crawling visuals.

I'd love to see some mitragynine or other kratom alkaloid analogues synthesized. I think the area has a lot of potential.

the N -cyclopropylmethyl benzomorphans

most benzomorphans produce hallucinogenic effects at high doses especially any that have a cyclopropylmethyl group on the nitrogen. beware though all these class of opioids are partial mu antagonist and if you have any tolerence at all it will put you into withdraw. i am on a large dose of methadone and i carry a medalert braclet and a card in my pocket with directions to never give me any opioid antagonist or opioid agonist/antagonist. a friend of my was given stadol she went directly into withdraw. hers legs were kicking so hard that she cracked the windshield of her car.

Possibly not quite hallucinatory in the sense of say psychedelics or anticholinergics, but with opiates I've had very realistic dreams - some of them have turned nasty, but when I've woken up I'm still having real problems distinguishing the contents of my dreams from waking 'reality' (once to the point of waking my wife up and asking her to talk to me for 5 minutes - I was feeling on the verge of a panic attack because of the disturbing content of my dreams).

oh gawd, this reminds me of my stay at the hospital a wile back.
hydromorphone iv.

had me on it for a few days until i couldnt take the psychotic nods i would get then wake up from then be so relaxed that i knew it wasnt real that i would slip back into it.. every ten seconds or so for hours on end.

Seeing through my eyelids is extremely typical from Heroin for me.
This probably would be defined as a "nod", but it's a very strange sensation.

The closest I have gotten to a hallucinogenic experience with opiates (keep in mind I tend to avoid them, pretty much only use them for pain as needed, other than a morphine 1-2x a year) is mild trails and some visual static, nothing more significant...

Seeing through my eyelids is extremely typical from Heroin for me.
This probably would be defined as a "nod", but it's a very strange sensation.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I've never seen anyone else mention it before. I assume it's because my mind remembers what I saw last and just continues to see it. Very weird though.

I've got the seeing through eyelids phenomenon from morphine and kratom IIRC. But what really gives me that is DXM. I have walked around the room with my eyes closed on DXM and saw a distorted negative of the room the whole time.

Butorphanol can be pretty strange, but it doesn't really cause "hallucinations". At the higher dosages, it makes even bright lights seem very dim, and makes it appear as though you are looking through a sepia filter. This is accompanied by a dissociative feeling, not unlike a low but long-lasting dose of salvia. I actually preferred butorphanol to pentazocine (talwin is perhaps the worst opioid that i've tried).

At the higher dosages, meperidine can be quite strange. Levorphanol can also be quite unusual at the higher dosages, with prolonged dissociative/dream-like states.

Morphine, of course, does what it does...

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I've never seen anyone else mention it before. I assume it's because my mind remembers what I saw last and just continues to see it. Very weird though.
I think opiate hallucinations involve a mind state similar to hypnagogia or disassociatives. I get this same effect a lot right before sleep, and I agree with your interpretation. For example, if my eyes were last open looking at the floor while laying on my right side, and then I closed them and rolled over on my left side, I might still see the floor from my "right side perspective."

When I was being prepped to have my wisdom teeth pulled I repeatedly told the dentist I wasn't feeling the demerol feed while trying to act sober and got an extra 50mg. I heard him say that number and rationalize something to the assistant about weightlifters needing more because of endorphins--don't know if that's BS or not, but I'm fairly sensitive to opiates in any case. I repeatedly thought I was in bed, and kept "waking up" multiple times, similar to IGNVS's experience. But when I looked at the wall there was the most vivid whirlpool effect on it. Seriously, like a vortex--something almost cartoonish that, if I had seen it in a movie, I'd think was cliche and uninformed by actual psychedelic experience. But there it was. Then I went home and puked.

Last edited:
Methadone has NMDA antagonist effects, just at far less a potency than its mu agonist effects, so anybody but a massively tolerant user would snuff it long before hitting the point where observable effects kick in from NMDA antagonism.

Morphine has the most loveliest trippy nods. The whole universe condensed into a plane of vibrating squares.

Methadone has NMDA antagonist effects, just at far less a potency than its mu agonist effects, so anybody but a massively tolerant user would snuff it long before hitting the point where observable effects kick in from NMDA antagonism.

I don't know that this makes any sense, but once taking methadone with quetiapine seemed to result in a massive overdose with the inability to feel anything in my skin, and a sort of mild ketamine like feeling resulted.

why quetiapine caused this, I don't know. My breathing was labored but my cousin the EMT said i was 'okay' if I didn't get worse (to my wife, I was way out of it).

The hallucinations of the Benzomorphans are not of the psychadelic or dissociative variety, it is one of the side effects of too much. The side effects from too much of a Benzomorphan (Penta-, Cycla-, Dezo-, Keto-, etc Zocine) seems very similar to anticholinigeric poisoning. Sounds as if it would feel like mixing high doses of Scopolomine, Tramadol and Diphenhydramine.

Racemethorphan would be dissociative and opioid like in the way you are getting at; but that is because it is equal parts Dextromethorphan (DXM) and Levomethorphan (an opioid that metabolizes into Levorphanol).

Mixing opioids/dissociatives doesn't seem like a very good idea anyway, as the dissociative will blunt the euphoria of the opioid, and the opioid may push you into respiratory depression depending on which dissociative and/or opioid you took.

high does of demerol+prometh(meprazine) gave me kinda dissassotiave trippy feeling...i often my find myself falling asleep or nodding out and i can still see the room infront of me with my eyes closed and it kinda morphs sometimes...i get that with many opiates

demerol
methadone
high dose oxy+weed..yum

but i can see where yall are coming from

The hallucinations of the Benzomorphans are not of the psychadelic or dissociative variety, it is one of the side effects of too much. The side effects from too much of a Benzomorphan (Penta-, Cycla-, Dezo-, Keto-, etc Zocine) seems very similar to anticholinigeric poisoning. Sounds as if it would feel like mixing high doses of Scopolomine, Tramadol and Diphenhydramine.

Racemethorphan would be dissociative and opioid like in the way you are getting at; but that is because it is equal parts Dextromethorphan (DXM) and Levomethorphan (an opioid that metabolizes into Levorphanol).

Mixing opioids/dissociatives doesn't seem like a very good idea anyway, as the dissociative will blunt the euphoria of the opioid, and the opioid may push you into respiratory depression depending on which dissociative and/or opioid you took.

Actually it has nothing to do with anticholinergic poisoning. Not even remotely.

The benzomorphans are all kappa agonists to some degree, and higher doses of them (and sometimes not very high doses at all) result in light salvia-like intoxication.

Pentazocine is one horrible drug, imho. It's like Salvia XR

Seeing through your eye lids. Kinda like when your just looking around the room and its bright and stuff then you Snap out of it and open your eyes and really the lights off and you can't see squat

That can be pretty weird. Opening your eyes and the room is dark :p

Im assumeing everyones visuals they are talking about the dream like state where there falling asleep?

Kappa opioid receptor agonists are definately psychadelic. Examples: Salvorin A (salvia), Pentazocine, and sophora subprostrata. I've tried 2 out of the three and they were indubitably psychadelic.