View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Growing Mimosa Hostilis....?

mushi mushi 88

Bluelighter
So I have got some Mimosa seed's and am looking into growing them. I am wondering how would be the best way to grow them? Are you able to grow them in a pot and what season/time of year is the best time to grow them and is it important what type soil you use...?

If anybody could provide me with some links that would be much appreciated or if you can just give me some general information I would be thankful for that as well.=D

^Luckily, because rainforest soil is really shite ie. sandy and all, many such plants don't require really nutritious substrates....but its more the climate/humidity/exposure and intensity of light/ that controls their growth. Anyway, thats just a general thing I've 'learned' via growing tropical/rainforest plants.....

Anyway i just ripped this off some ethnobot website, if you want the link PM me

Soak the seeds about an hour in hot (but not boiling) water before you, to prevent mould to occur during the germination process, plant them in perlite, grit or another not-organic soil. After germination (1-6 weeks) however, the plants can be transplanted in an organic soil. Give your young plants a lot of root space, much light and water them regularly. A little artificial feeding from time to time does not hurt either.

Mimosa hostilis is a perennial evergreen shrub that can become, in its adult life, no less than 4 meters high. In the wild the plant grows a lot on the dry desert area in the Northeast of Brazil (the Caatingas). At the firm branches, provided with mean thorns, grow a lot of feather - or fernlike leaves of a beautiful, bright green color. M. hostilis fourishes abundantly with a number of fragrant white 'ears'. The pods that follow are round and fall when ripe dividing themselves in 4 up to 6 sections. A part of the roots of the Mimosa hostilis are growing above the surface, these are fibrous and fragile, and generally have a beautiful pink color.

So pretty much I can just raise them into seed's then plant them in my garden any old place and they should be fine.

i'm curious, isn't DMT only in the rootbark? are you planning to scrape off the bark yourself?

^yeah it is, from what i understand.

i would be willing to help scrape off bark as long as i can take home a kilo or 10 =D

This is an interestng question though.
Would a Mimosa Hostilis tree grow in the US?

I had one seed germinate last week, but has now died. Didn't get past cotyledon stage. Normal potting soil mix, low on the perlite because I ran out.

Plan on trying again.

It will/would be difficult. My psychotria went literally nowehere. It has remained with about 12-15 leaves on it ever since I bought it. Its not dead, just kinda sleeping. WAKE UP YOU FUCK!! 8o

Better to find a DMT plant that grows in your own climate....

^No way man, the content of maidenii is not that good in mo

I beg to differ. Research i've done leads me to believe they aren't that different at all. Not to mention wattles grow like weeds here.

Refer to erowid.
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/extraction_guide1/dmt_extraction_guide1.shtml

Maybe another Acacia would be better suited. But i still hold the opinion that an Acacia would be much more suitable than a Mimosa. As i said, wattles are like weeds, Mimosa's are a little bit trickier to grow if the conditions aren't right.

I have two small Mimosas growing in pots on my windowsill, they will take being in a pot noodle pot for almost a year before they outgrow it.

Used to have bigger ones, and some 3 1/2 foot yopo trees but they died when I got sent to the pen and the people I asked to care for them, didn't.

When you put the seed in the pot do you need to plant more then one and how far down in the soil do you put it...?

I prefer the idea of growing your own sources of DMT rather than importing them - from a potential enviromental standpoint - & I suppose it'd probably be more interesting than obtaining a parcel via a delivery van.

Awesome just planted some can't wait to see what they do. I put 4 in one pot away from each other, they have a fair bit of room to grow, do you think I could transplant them when they are say an inch tall or something?

I would wait until they are much bigger, until they begin to look visibly woody in the stem.

Its very easy to kill these lil buggers by moving them in my experience.

Why not try growing some yopo too? the seeds are cheap as dirt, and they are very fertile, water tolerant, and they can practically take a kick up the backside before they die :)

^ You're growing these in the UK ? I think - yes?

Yup, got them on my windowsill, the mimosas are about a week old now, and they have 2-3 small sets of leaves already.

Now if only my Harmala would live long enough to become established, those things are right little bastards to grow.

DepthToTheCore said:
I beg to differ. Research i've done leads me to believe they aren't that different at all. Not to mention wattles grow like weeds here.

Refer to erowid.
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/extraction_guide1/dmt_extraction_guide1.shtml

Maybe another Acacia would be better suited. But i still hold the opinion that an Acacia would be much more suitable than a Mimosa. As i said, wattles are like weeds, Mimosa's are a little bit trickier to grow if the conditions aren't right.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that particular erowid thing.....I've used Maidenii with virtually no effect. Most aussie entheo heads seem to think Maidenii is to unpredictable.

I live in Australia and have just planted my Mimosa, is it the wrong season or something? I planted them about 1cm - 2cm under some soil how long do you think they will take to sprout.

Also I planted a heap of poppy seeds about a week ago, the white poppies are starting to sprout but the purple haze one's don't have any change in them what so ever... Anybody know what's going on with these?