• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Green Dragon Tincture

2 minutes might very well be enough. Especially 196 proof stuff, it pretty much instantly strips the oils right off the plant material. But, I do like to spend a little time with it. I like using a double boiler which will begin to bubble the alcohol before the water boils. I think that can help pull a bit more out of the extraction, maybe completes some conversion if the material was not baked enough, and helps to filter more liquid out when it's warm. It also helps with reduction/evaporation. I don't know how isoprop. helps with taste or extraction but that's up to you. THC will degrade if it starts getting overworked.

Another thing I like to do is a cold water pre soak. I soak the weed in very cold water first, overnight. Don't break up the weed or agitate at all, just gently soak in cold water overnight in the fridge. The next day, pour off the water, which contains chlorophyll and other unwanted water solubles. Re dry the weed. Then begin the tincture making process with this cleaner weed.

So can the flower be Decarboxylated in a liquid / oil or does it have to take place in a dry environment only ?

I believe it's a heat conversion issue. I have tried to decarboxylate in solution and i find that it works, but then again, I still use the dry bake method. I've seen some claim that it's a "drying issue" and that decarboxylaying occurs naturally over time, as the material becomes super dry, and I'm not buying that. I still think it's a heat conversion issue, otherwise people woyld just eat really really dry buds.

Im going to research this a bit more and get back.

Most good research seems to point to decarbing/conversion as a heat + time issue, with heat being the far more important element. Your specific question is regarding wet vs. dry decarb, and there's not a lot of info around this, but it would seem as if "it doesn't matter". Also, I've done both with good results, but I have not done a controlled, direct experiment specifically aimed at wet vs. dry.

I like happy mediums, and like doing a dry conversion around 220f for 20m, and also some double boiling, and i believe alcohol boils at 177f. This also allows for evaporation/reduction.

If i find something specifically around wet vs. dry decarbing, I'll post back. Another point would be that when we make butter and other edibles we simply add the material without pre baking. Aren't those "wet decarbs"? If so, then the conclusion would be "temperature matters, then time, but not method"

Thank You Phee as I'm a lazy shite for not doing any digging myself I just remembered the name of the conversion process.

You kind of got to the point of my question though, say if just adding ground up flowers to oil or butter, then a brownie mix and baking "wet" would be enough. It must get at least part ways there if past experience tells me anything.

Weed soaked in alcohol for extraction should dry rather quickly, especially if you really squeeze it out properly. The water pre-soaked weed takes longer, that requires patience, aeration, spreading it out and turning it. Cooking with wet product may be fine, but could cause a slighty off taste and change the actual cooking recipe a bit, like brownies and cookies. I make butter first, then use the butter. Butter can be frozen in batches and used any way you want. I find that weed used to make tincture still makes a fine butter, but then that's it. Discard that material.

Another thing I've discovered is that edibles made from "tinctured weed" seem to hit faster. I think it's because it is already made more absorbable by the alcohol and that's why tincture is best absorbed in the mouth. I squirt tincture in my coffee or tea and when i sip on it, I roll it around in my mouth. It doesn't seem to require all that digestion/liver pass step. When i eat a brownie with weed it could take more than an hour to feel it. When i eat a brownie made with tinctured weed butter, it can hit me in 15 minutes.
Multi-Quote This Message

Most good research seems to point to decarbing/conversion as a heat + time issue, with heat being the far more important element. Your specific question is regarding wet vs. dry decarb, and there's not a lot of info around this, but it would seem as if "it doesn't matter". Also, I've done both with good results, but I have not done a controlled, direct experiment specifically aimed at wet vs. dry.

I like happy mediums, and like doing a dry conversion around 220f for 20m, and also some double boiling, and i believe alcohol boils at 177f. This also allows for evaporation/reduction.

If i find something specifically around wet vs. dry decarbing, I'll post back. Another point would be that when we make butter and other edibles we simply add the material without pre baking. Aren't those "wet decarbs"? If so, then the conclusion would be "temperature matters, then time, but not method"

Weed soaked in alcohol for extraction should dry rather quickly, especially if you really squeeze it out properly. The water pre-soaked weed takes longer, that requires patience, aeration, spreading it out and turning it. Cooking with wet product may be fine, but could cause a slighty off taste and change the actual cooking recipe a bit, like brownies and cookies. I make butter first, then use the butter. Butter can be frozen in batches and used any way you want. I find that weed used to make tincture still makes a fine butter, but then that's it. Discard that material.

Another thing I've discovered is that edibles made from "tinctured weed" seem to hit faster. I think it's because it is already made more absorbable by the alcohol and that's why tincture is best absorbed in the mouth. I squirt tincture in my coffee or tea and when i sip on it, I roll it around in my mouth. It doesn't seem to require all that digestion/liver pass step. When i eat a brownie with weed it could take more than an hour to feel it. When i eat a brownie made with tinctured weed butter, it can hit me in 15 minutes.
Multi-Quote This Message

You mean you don't like picking bits of bud out of your teeth ? :)

No i hear you about making butter or Ghee first but I like the idea of a faster onset with a tincture as well. Thanks for the tip and welcome to BL.