• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Green Dragon Tincture

Cannabitron

Greenlighter
Weed Vodka??

Hi guys, first time on blue light , long time pothead. I recently got a hold of what appears to be Homemade Tincture. It's a bottle of 99 proof vodka and what seems to be about 5-6 Grams of mid shelf nugs at the bottom of it. It's been in the dark for almost a year and my main question is, is it safe to drink? Should I take precautions? If so, what? I've been reading around the net of what it could be. The closest thing I've found is something called green Dragon Tincture. Is this it?

Last edited:
Safe to drink, probably won't get ya high though, bud.

99 proof isn't really high enough, unless he had that shit sitting for months upon months and burped it regularly, stirred/shaken it regularly and left it in a cool, dark spot the entire time. There's a reason high-proof Everclear is recommended when making Green Dragon, and it's because that shit is basically pure as fuck moonshine with plenty for the psychoactives to bind to relatively quickly.

I'd drink it if you already had it, though, because it's definitely safe as long as you trust your source for it to be what he said it was. I just wouldn't expect too much of a high and more of a drunkenness, but definitely be stoked if you get stoned as fuck off it. Just my $0.02.

Oh, and welcome to Bluelight. Keep on posting, hit up the social every now and then and don't you fucking dare be some random fuck named BJ. :p

I had GD once, the high was pretty good. but the fucking headache that followed was not worth it. And I don't tend to get headache from just booze.

Safe to drink, probably won't get ya high though, bud.

99 proof isn't really high enough, unless he had that shit sitting for months upon months and burped it regularly, stirred/shaken it regularly and left it in a cool, dark spot the entire time. There's a reason high-proof Everclear is recommended when making Green Dragon, and it's because that shit is basically pure as fuck moonshine with plenty for the psychoactives to bind to relatively quickly.

I'd drink it if you already had it, though, because it's definitely safe as long as you trust your source for it to be what he said it was. I just wouldn't expect too much of a high and more of a drunkenness, but definitely be stoked if you get stoned as fuck off it. Just my $0.02.

Oh, and welcome to Bluelight. Keep on posting, hit up the social every now and then and don't you fucking dare be some random fuck named BJ. :p
I'm not sure if it was tended too often. Just been sitting there. But I'm 5 shots deep. I can say I definitely feel a bit crossfaded but more buzzed from the alcohol if anything. Thanks for the quick reply! I'm definitely no BJ ;b

I had GD once, the high was pretty good. but the fucking headache that followed was not worth it. And I don't tend to get headache from just booze.
Ohhh it's my first time trying it and I've had quite a bit. Hopefully it's not too bad!!

One more question, is the weed useless afterwards ? Or can it be used again. For smoking perhaps?

Shit man, idk. With the low-proof alcohol I'd assume something was still left, but there's so many possibilities with chemical processes and degradation and shit, man, I just don't know.

I can say, however, that if there are whole nugs in that liquor it wasn't done right. Still safe, just inefficiently done.

Drink the drink, save the tree. Set it on a tray until that shit is bone dry. I mean dry as a mother fucker, because you don't want to smoke alcohol.

So I'd say set it out for a few days, week at most. Crumble it up as you're drying it, create more surface area to speed up the evaporation. Once it turns into typical shake, smoke that shit up and see what happens.

Just don't, dude, for whatever reasons smoke it while it's wet. I honestly don't know what would/could happen but it just doesn't sound safe or healthy to me. Do everything you can to make sure it's completely dry before you put that shit in your lungs.

Shit man, idk. With the low-proof alcohol I'd assume something was still left, but there's so many possibilities with chemical processes and degradation and shit, man, I just don't know.

I can say, however, that if there are whole nugs in that liquor it wasn't done right. Still safe, just inefficiently done.

Drink the drink, save the tree. Set it on a tray until that shit is bone dry. I mean dry as a mother fucker, because you don't want to smoke alcohol.

So I'd say set it out for a few days, week at most. Crumble it up as you're drying it, create more surface area to speed up the evaporation. Once it turns into typical shake, smoke that shit up and see what happens.

Just don't, dude, for whatever reasons smoke it while it's wet. I honestly don't know what would/could happen but it just doesn't sound safe or healthy to me. Do everything you can to make sure it's completely dry before you put that shit in your lungs.

Good point, I DONT want to smoke alcohol. I've managed to get the moajority of the weed out of the bottle and squeezed the alcohol out of some of the buds, (Yes, there are whole nugs mixed in with the shake), I wrapped up the nugs in the a paper towel and put it in a jar. I heard that's a decent way of drying it out. Seems to be working so far. Meanwhile I'm drinking the rest of this concoction. So far, with minimal "high" results.

I agree, it wasn't made very well. Then again I don't know who was making this. I just found it in my house under the bathroom sink!

Thanks again for the advice!

Hi guys, first time on blue light , long time pothead. I recently got a hold of what appears to be Homemade Tincture. It's a bottle of 99 proof vodka and what seems to be about 5-6 Grams of mid shelf nugs at the bottom of it. It's been in the dark for almost a year and my main question is, is it safe to drink? Should I take precautions? If so, what? I've been reading around the net of what it could be. The closest thing I've found is something called green Dragon Tincture. Is this it?

hey, welcome. check out the CD Directory for a thread on green dragon tincture, your liquor should be safe to drink if you know what its alcohol content is, assuming it isn't somehow methanol or isopropyl... you don't want to drink that shit.

*smirk* i was just thinking it's been a while since we've seen an alt :p just stop fucking doing unlicensed black magic and he won't appear k?!

My green dragon was brown more than green. I think they add food colouring for photo's on the net? It tasted awful. Smelt great. Made a few batches now, never again. Highly over rated imo, only worth it for the curiosity value. Enjoy yours!

Tinctures are better when you do a hash oil extraction first, then dissolve the hash oil in 190 proof ethanol. You can make it as concentrated as you want. A few drops can be all you need.

I made lots of old school green dragon before I started experimenting with more concentrated tinctures. It does come out with a green color if you use fresh material. I have a batch from 6 years ago that's still deep green. The chlorophyll doesn't degrade over time if you keep it away from heat and light.

99 proof will work, kinda, but 190 is better.

You must convert the thc to it's "useable"/absorbable form, with heat.. That's easily done through smoking, but for edibles, the material must be heated in an oven where it will convert but not hot enough to vaporize. Then the material can be placed in alcohol. Pure grain alcohol is best, but any strong alcohol will work. Use drinking/ethanol though. Many other alcohols will evaporate clean, but why use them? A few buds in a bottle of vodka probably won't work on a couple of grounds. The thc has not been converted, and the amounts are probably too low. If you use closer to 2-3 grams per liquid oz, and do it right, and evaporate/reduce, one squirt should be quite strong.

Alcohol strips the oils away rather quickly. There is no need to soak weed in alcohol longer than a day, perhaps even hours.

I find with tincture there are more myths than facts out there.

I'm having trouble editing so apologies for a 2nd post. Yes, the "spent" material can be used again. I re-dry it and sautee in butter and strain. Lots of material, like as much as you can get into a stick of butter. 7, 10 grams of dried weed? You can even double up by adding more material to the same strained butter. It will be stronger than you think.

And, I find that vaped weed can be saved and used in tincture. I add it in to already made tincture to strengthen it further. So long as you don't vape it to brown popcorn. Vape gently and on the Lower temp side and remove it a little bit before you normally would.

You must convert the thc to it's "useable"/absorbable form, with heat.. That's easily done through smoking, but for edibles, the material must be heated in an oven where it will convert but not hot enough to vaporize. Then the material can be placed in alcohol. Pure grain alcohol is best, but any strong alcohol will work. Use drinking/ethanol though. Many other alcohols will evaporate clean, but why use them? A few buds in a bottle of vodka probably won't work on a couple of grounds. The thc has not been converted, and the amounts are probably too low. If you use closer to 2-3 grams per liquid oz, and do it right, and evaporate/reduce, one squirt should be quite strong.

Alcohol strips the oils away rather quickly. There is no need to soak weed in alcohol longer than a day, perhaps even hours.

I find with tincture there are more myths than facts out there.

2 minutes of shaking with 190 proof ethanol is enough to extract most of it. You'll get a smokeable golden oil after evaporating and vacuum purging. You can redissolve that oil in ethanol at any ratio, even 50/50. 2 or 3 drops can be enough depending on tolerance if it's half hash oil.

Longer ethanol extractions get a little more of the cannabinoids along with a lot more chlorophyll and off flavors. I've gotten better results when I extract with 99% isopropanol, purge, and redissolve in ethanol. "Better" meaning better tasting with a higher yield. Butane works well too. Ethanol works fine on its own, though, if you do it right.

2 minutes might very well be enough. Especially 196 proof stuff, it pretty much instantly strips the oils right off the plant material. But, I do like to spend a little time with it. I like using a double boiler which will begin to bubble the alcohol before the water boils. I think that can help pull a bit more out of the extraction, maybe completes some conversion if the material was not baked enough, and helps to filter more liquid out when it's warm. It also helps with reduction/evaporation. I don't know how isoprop. helps with taste or extraction but that's up to you. THC will degrade if it starts getting overworked.

Another thing I like to do is a cold water pre soak. I soak the weed in very cold water first, overnight. Don't break up the weed or agitate at all, just gently soak in cold water overnight in the fridge. The next day, pour off the water, which contains chlorophyll and other unwanted water solubles. Re dry the weed. Then begin the tincture making process with this cleaner weed.

I'm sorry, I forgot to ask what you mean by "vacuum purging".

Vacuum purging is a way to remove the solvent from hash oil if you want a good smokable / vapable product. Basically just putting the oil under vacuum pressure with gentle heating until there's no residual solvent.

It's not important for tinctures if you're working with ethanol only. For tinctures started with other solvents like isopropanol or butane, you can vacuum purge or purge with ethanol directly. Just dissolve in everclear 190, let it evaporate back to oil, then dissolve again to make the final tincture.

Water curing definitely works for making a better tasting green dragon. There are many different methods for making good quality tinctures. :) I've just gotten in the habit of doing the initial extraction with isopropanol to make concentrated ethanol tinctures. I've done dozens of batches that way since 2013ish. Putting 3 or 4 drops on my tongue tastes like dabbing if it's concentrated enough, whether you do the extraction part with isopropanol, ethanol, butane, or whatever.

Ah, for smoking, yes. Well, ive had good success doing a water soak/dry, then an everclear soak/dry. Of course the oven baking of the material is skipped because now we're not making edibles. I can vape or water filter this and it's very potent

I don't know what this vacuum thing looks like, but for wax/hash, if I'm that interested in the next step of cleanliness, I'll let someone else do that and buy it. Same for more dangerous extractions. Here's my money, you do that. ;)

I've been doing this as a hobby for a long time, no money involved. A vacuum purge setup can be a mason jar with a hand pump along with a heating pad. It's not needed for good tinctures. It's just convenient if you already have things on hand. The high quality wax / hash extractions make good tasting tinctures, I think.

I just had a tablespoon of my last green dragon batch from 2011. It will be fun in an hour or so. :) Twilight, a strain I haven't gotten high with for a few years now.

I'll have a hit of wax, shatter, whatever we call it every now and then. It's basically all power. I don't smoke like I did 20-30 years ago so wax really should be one hit is all you need. I prefer great flowers, I vape and i want the full flavors. As far as extract goes, nothing beats trichomes rubbed over a silk screen and collected/pressed into fine hash.

Enjoy! Tincture, if stored right, will last indefinitely. My last one was made with gorilla glue. I love it in hot tea or coffee, empty stomach, but rolled around in the mouth, it's very orally absorbable. It's also nice squirted on to a good beer, especially an IPA. It compliments the hops, floating on top of the beer like a fine green oil.