• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Great ideas/inventions inspired by drug use

I thought Alice comes across a mushroom and there's some creature sat on it smoking something? I didn't think she ate the mushrooms.
But if she did it couldn't have been psilocybin mushrooms as they weren't really known in England at the time.

name the only existing rock band today worthy of recognition....Tool. the lead singer/writer/ genius maynard james keenan is always on lsd when writing songs and designing things, this is why Tool's songs are so deep and insightful, all their idea's so amazing/original.also, back in the day, near enough everything was based on drugs, my friend and I were having this discussion the other day. we came to the conclusion that a drug user has a different perception to a concept than a 'normal' person.

Not sure, there's a thousand bar bands who have taken LSD and still stink like something worse than shit.

Originally posted by mll:
I thought Alice comes across a mushroom and there's some creature sat on it smoking something? I didn't think she ate the mushrooms.
The caterpillar is smoking a hookah (water pipe), tradional in North Africa.

On Picasso: I read a while ago (dont quote me on this) that some people get migrains that also distort their vision in a way simliar to the way picasso paints (weird faces for example).
Apparently there is an extremly rare form of this condition, where the person gets the vision distortions without the migrain... its possible that this is what picasso had.
Or he was just a complete fruitcake who was hopped up on goofballs, i dunno :)

Lewis Carrol was crazy, but he was also a regular opium user. He also experimented with mushrooms.
In addition to this he was a child abuser, the character of Alice was based on a little girl he had an obsession for.

Yeah Lewis Carrol was a big perv, but in his defense he got permission from her mother before he photographed her naked.
Heh heh, things sure were different back in the day, you could get away with stuff like that. At least that's one area where our society has made some progress, we tend to lock up people like that nowadays.

Originally posted by atlas*lit_up:
^^
starey night is Van Gogh, buddy. And he was a disturbed painter working within the techniques of the post-impressionist, not a drug user.

Um..... not quite correct. Van Gogh is probably the most famous of the artists of that time period that were Absinthe addicts. If you knew about Van Gogh you would know that he even has an oil painting called "Still Life With Absinthe"

Originally posted by mll:
hang on dingle, LSD wasn't even invented when Lewis Carrol wrote Alice in wonderland.
I'm not sure about this statement, but regardless, it wasn't LSD. The drug was DMT!

Originally posted by Bet@:

I'm not sure about this statement, but regardless, it wasn't LSD. The drug was DMT!

I'm pretty sure Lewis Carrol's experiments were with opium as far as Alice in Wonderland goes, though there is also a chance that he was using aminita muscarina mushrooms at the time. Both LSD and psilocybin mushrooms were unknown to Europeans at the time, LSD wasn't even synthesized yet.

In the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley, which is about the invention of the pc, it is claimed that Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. all used acid on occasion. Later, I read an interview with Ken Keasey where he claimed that taking acid was almost essential for their computing breakthrough.
Peace

ive heard that edgar allan poe enjoyed smoking opium and then writing some odd stories.

Absinthe contains thujone which is a psychedelic related to THC.
I don't know about smoking opium, but I know Edgar Allen Poe was into laudanum (an alchol + opium drink).
And unless Lewis Carroll was drinking yage/ayahuasca (which I highly doubt) he wasn't doing any DMT. I think some people have a habit of inferring way too many drug references into certain books (Alice In Wonderland in particular).

ok, you mom asked for an invention right? well these people named were probilby insperation to many inventions, therefore being more important than inventors themselfs.
when i used mushrooms i did learn lots, not that it will make you a genous or an inventor or anything, but it is some good shit.

I dont think just anyone can take some mind altering drug (acid etc.) and perceive life in such a way that he/she can make it better (invent something). Your opinions and your personal skills that you've achieved subconciously make you more of a person than you know.
Taking psychedelics (to me) means that your mind is working on different chemicals therefore percieving life differently. You simply dont understand how to operate on a so called "regular"(sober) mindset, so you understand stuff in a different way. Each person has the potential to be extremely creative and inventive while on these substances, but its what youve been through, learned, and understood etc. and how comfortably you can control reality that determines on how your mind will understand this "new reality". Therefore try to be more of a peson in every aspect of living than normal and you might just amaze yourself when you trip balls.
hope that made sense.just bored and reflecting on this thread. peace

Bet, Hoffman formulated LSD in 1938 and realised LSD was psychedelic in 1943.
As far as I know Lewis Carroll died in 1898. He'd have to have been pretty accomplished at time travel to try LSD.
[ 25 April 2002: Message edited by: mll ]

Originally posted by ikarus:
Absinthe contains thujone which is a psychedelic related to THC.
I don't know about smoking opium, but I know Edgar Allen Poe was into laudanum (an alchol + opium drink).
And unless Lewis Carroll was drinking yage/ayahuasca (which I highly doubt) he wasn't doing any DMT. I think some people have a habit of inferring way too many drug references into certain books (Alice In Wonderland in particular).

I don't believe thujone is actually related to THC. I think that the DEA is grasping at straws trying to find a connection between Salvia Divinorum, THC, and thujone so they can schedule Salvia under the Analogue Laws. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Steve Jobs on Bill Gates: "I just think he and Microsoft are a bit narrow. He'd be a broader guy if he had dropped acid once or gone off to an ashram when he was younger."
[The New York Times Magazine, 1/12/97]
BIll gates I believe had some autistic traits,
not as much a tripper.