NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

"estimated prophet" starts out as one of the darkest sounding grateful dead songs that i can recall. i don't know what is up when it reaches like 55 seconds though. at first i didn't like it and would just loop the begining of the song for a while... after a while or pretty recently, i can appreciate the whole song... i don't know if my looping the song days is appropriate lol.

i also can really appreciate a lot of jerry garcia's jam soloing through out his career. i don't know much about eras of the dead and what not, but i can recall thinking the dead's guitar sololing is way more musical than most rock music. like to me zeppelin's soloing sounds like guns and roses, and that soloing sounds real similar to most radio rock and classic rock. the dead is something that doesn't really sound like anything else. it's the real classic rock in my opinion, if you were to say classical sounds like a piano or something. like to me rock soloing from zeppelin and whatever, it doesn't sound like music if i were to consider classical real music. that's kind of a lame comparission but you can see where i'm going with that.

Are they really any good? I never heard of them but the name sounds cool.

I recommend their very first album (and especially the very first track, a great all-round hippy rebel classic) and some live album circa 1972-1974. They have a ton of live albums of varying quality. Big part of the appeal is just the tapestry of guitar soloing by Jerry Garcia. He has a unique and involved style. My least favorite part about the band is the extreme absence of emotional weight. It really is a jolly happy-go-lucky sound for the most part. A few tracks are noteworthy exceptions. Maybe one sees things differently after repeated massive doses of LSD in public settings, but i'm not super convinced about the soundness of such behavior.

dead & co announced dates at the sphere in las vegas.

i saw the u2 show there and it was simply incredible.

alasdair

giphy.gif