NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

i love this funky ass early dead stuff

even a lot of serious heads can't dig the really early stuff, but it's always been my favorite. what it lacks in technical complexity, it more than makes up for in plain ol' FUN.

not to mention, pigpen was the fucking man

635629930195692453-l-gratefuldead-SN-online-640x480.jpg

Last edited:
Tickets For The Grateful Dead Reunion Shows Are Now Up To $116,000

Forbes said:
3/02/2015 @ 2:00PM 2,147 views
Tickets For The Grateful Dead Reunion Shows Are Now Up To $116,000

The remaining members of the Grateful Dead are reuniting for a handful of concerts this coming summer, and if you want to get a ticket, it’s going to cost you a very pretty penny. In fact, tickets for you and a friend are now going for insane sums of money on the secondary ticketing market. How insane? Try $116,000.

Passes for the three shows in Chicago all sold out in minutes, which was expected. The Grateful Dead have a diehard fanbase, one which would do almost anything to see them perform live one last time. They were initially offered to the group’s fan club, and then they went on sale to the public after that. Plenty of people are of course taking advantage of the situation by snapping up whatever tickets they could get their hands on and reselling them on the secondary ticketing market. In the few days since they originally went on sale, the price for entrance has gone up exponentially.

Stubhub.com, a website that allows people to resell tickets to events they won’t be needing, has dozens of options for the shows, but none of them come cheap. The prices range from the astronomically-high $116,000 (which gets you two spots in the general admission area) down to just under $1,300 for just one pass.

If you’re prepared to spend a good chunk of change, Stubhub has plenty of options, so don’t worry about them selling out anytime soon. So far there are five sets of passes all selling for over $100,000, and some of them aren’t even good seats. Two of the ticket packages with price tags in the six digits are labeled as “Obstructed” or “No View”. So, would you pay $100,000 to listen to a band live and imagine what’s happening on stage?

Altogether, 210,000 tickets were sold for the shows, but there were hundreds of thousands of others (and possibly millions) who couldn’t get through fast enough to purchase the tickets. While there may be an enormous premium on them now, when they originally went on sale fans got a deal, as tickets were priced under $200.

The shows are being arranged to celebrate the band’s 50th anniversary, and the band members are saying that these three shows are likely to be the last time they all perform together. Phish frontman Trey Anastasio will be filling in for Jerry Garcia, who passes away many years ago.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci...eful-dead-reunion-shows-are-now-up-to-116000/

Forbes said:
ltogether, 210,000 tickets were sold for the shows, but there were hundreds of thousands of others (and possibly millions) who couldn’t get through fast enough to purchase the tickets. While there may be an enormous premium on them now, when they originally went on sale fans got a deal, as tickets were priced under $200.

Weird, this is how we find out the American people value this a lot. Radio stations never play The Grateful Dead these days. A Touch of Grey was their only hit. How could Americans be so fascinated with The Grateful Dead and yet, their music never gets played on classic rock stations? There must be some reason.

I just searched your posts. You have 7 and have started 3 threads. Maybe sit back in the pocket for a minute, kid

Grateful Dead's Fifth Annual Movie Meet-Up to Screen Unseen 1989 Show
The Dead's East Troy, Wisconsin show from July 1989 will hit the silver screen for one night only this May
By Daniel Kreps April 7, 2015

This late Eighties incarnation of the Dead featured Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland and Bob Weir, while the setlist boasts favorites like "Sugaree," "Morning Dew," "West L.A. Fadeaway," "Box Of Rain" and "Terrapin Station," plus a cover of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row."

The Grateful Dead Meet-Up at the Movies is just the latest event to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary. Producer Martin Scorsese and director Amir Bar-Lev will collaborate on the first authorized documentary about the band, featuring never-before-seen footage, interviews and live performances out of the Dead's vaults.

"From The Last Waltz to George Harrison: Living In The Material World, from Bob Dylan to the Rolling Stones, [Scorsese] has made some of the greatest music documentaries ever with some of our favorite artists and we are honored to have him involved," the Grateful Dead said in a statement announcing the film. "The 50th will be another monumental milestone to celebrate with our fans and we cannot wait to share this film with them."

On May 14th, Hart, Kreutzmann, Weir and Lesh will join special guests in a tribute to Garcia at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland. The surviving members of the Dead will also reunite one last time onstage alongside Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio and pianist Bruce Hornsby for three concerts at Chicago's Soldier Field in July.

Check out Fathom Events for the Grateful Dead Meet-Up at the Movies' list of select theatres and ticket information.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...creen-unseen-1989-show-20150407#ixzz3Wllf9Yp5

I've done gone and lost my GD hits Cd, I may just look for an even better album online with all my personal favorites, and shell out 30 bucks, but burn it to ITunes so i'll have it forever...
Was gonna do that the first time around but uh.....I had a grateful dead cd in my truck, what more needs to be said, lol.

Dig that "Keep rolling by" tune up there, ain't heard much of there early stuff really (to my knowledge) but I dig some early 60's rock, surely the dead could pull it off as well as anybody else of the day...

Don't get much earlier than this here!!

As far as I know, that is!
My apologies to the other dead members, this is just Jerry with his string band, it's good shit though..

I'm currently hooked on mid to late 70's Dead. After saying that I think ill go jam some early 90's stuff.

I wish a very good festi for all fortunate enough to be hitting Dear Jerry.. 8o

Last edited:
pretty good dear jerry stream

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/taperrob

setlist thus far:

Communion 7:05 EDT
The Wheel>Uncle John's Band, Standing on the Moon, Liberty

Allen Toussaint
Get Out My Life Woman

David Grisman & Sam Bush
Shady Grove

Peter Frampton
(I'm A) Roadrunner

Buddy Miller
Deal

Jorma Kaukonen
Sugaree

Jimmy Cliff
The Harder They Come

Mickey, Bob, and Jimmy Cliff
Attics of my Life>Fire On The Mountain w/DAS

BREAK @ 8:30EDT

Billy & The Kids - 8:43EDT
Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower

Disco Biscuits w/Billy Kreutzmann
Scarlet Begonias>I Know You Rider

'Dear Jerry' Tribute
0: Communion (Phil's band) - The Wheel > Uncle John's Band, Standing on the Moon, Liberty
Allen Toussaint - Get Out My Life Woman
David Grisman & Sam Bush - Shady Grove
Peter Frampton - (I'm A) Roadrunner
Buddy Miller - Deal
Jorma Kaukonen - Sugaree
Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come (w/ Billy & Mickey on drums)
Mickey, Bob, and Jimmy Cliff - Attics of my Life > Fire On The Mountain
Billy & The Kids - Help On The Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower
Disco Biscuits w/ Bill Kreutzmann - Scarlet Begonias > I Know You Rider
moe. - Loser
O.A.R. - St Stephen
Bob Weir & Los Lobos - Not Fade Away > Bertha
Trampled By Turtles - Brown Eyed Women
Yonder Mountain String Band - Shakedown Street
Bob Weir - Days Between
Bob Weir & Grace Potter - Friend of the Devil
Eric Church - Tennessee Jed
Widespread Panic - Morning Dew