• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Good Anxiety Medication

People all have their own meaning of the word good. I would say good means safe as this is your mental health we are dealing with.

Lyrica and Neurotontin have been getting rave reviews. I used to take neurontin and it wasn't bad. Weed works well for me for several hours so I smoke a lot of that (usually brick weed with lots of CBD). I only recommend it because its easy to try and pretty safe not because I'm a pothead who recommends weed for everything.

I do take a low dose of benzo but if my doctor offered I would try a decent dose of lyrica instead. After trying well over 20 different psych meds I'm just happy I got something that works for now.

Benzos wind up being the answer for a lot of people. If by good we are talking about most effective then this is it. I would far rather be on a benzo than an SSRI after knowing what I know about them. Do your own research. I don't abuse my prescription. If I did then I would be better off with the SSRI. Benzos are only worth it if your going to take them like your prescribed and if you only expect them to take the edge off. There not there to eliminate anxiety just make it bearable.

Last edited:
I've heard great things about gotu kola. The downside is that with ANY medication (benzos, gotu kola, phenibut, etc.) tolerance will build. To avoid this, one typically will need CBT (and lots of it) if severe anxiety is a lasting problem. Some doctors will prescribe SSRIs or similar for anxiety, but who wants to go on something for life? My dad does it. Plenty of other people do too... whether or not that is a suitable solution is an individual choice.

Actually, pot that is 'high CBD' is still THC dominant by far (data from a selection of strains in the PNW suggests advertised 'sativas' and 'indicas' overall quite similar). And I haven't heard of extracted CBD being available, even in medical card states.

ebola

I live in Northern CA and there is a strain available called cannatonic which is advertised as 13% CBD and 4.5% THC. I found the subjective effects to be great.

I am a extremely light smoker and I cannot smoke sativas due to the terrible anxiety they give me. But, I found high CBD to be beneficial.

Good old lifestyle changes can be good for anxiety too. Exercise, fresh air and sunlight.

No disrespect intended, but no one should ever be taking any benzo long term. Lorazepam (Ativan) is incredibly addictive and destructive. Valium is the only benzo that is safe longer term because of its long half life (probably the haze you describe), but all of these drugs are very dangerous for other than very short term use. (Less than a week)

i would go with an ssnri or nassa, second choise gabapentin/pregabline, benzo's i would't go (its no long term solution and very addictive, perhaps only a 3 days oxazepam when in crisis) and definetely no marijuana, it enhances anxiety.

But they are all inferior to therapy combined with excersise.

i take buspirone 10mg for anxiety. its a good non narcotic anxiety med for someone thats in recovery.

I don't know if anyone suggested it but maybe try some valerian root?

Will second valerian. Also kava kava, though both can be sedating.

Lyrica is highly effective for a bit. I've used it or phenibut only for occasional situations. Those can be a bit [to very] disorienting, so caution should be exercised with any. Tolerance builds fast..

Benzos are also ok for short term use.

Lexapro and Remeron have worked well for longer term anxiety relief. Caution should also be exercised with any combinations, and the meds are best taken under professional guidance.

Adaptogens have rave reviews by some. I have some strange allergic reactions to a lot of herbs, which trigger cystic acne in my case. Fml?

Cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness. Whether you choose to medicate or not, these are the most effective tools.

^I think she's on to something.

People with a psychotic disorder beware: mindfulness, if not guided cautiously, could lead to worsening of some symptoms.

I swear by sodium valproate. Then again this is for the uncontrolled constant rushing of thoughts due to life-crippling all-encompassing bipolar-based anxiety. I mention this as it seems there are different patterns of anxiety and I don't know how or in what way that influences treatment effectiveness.

It's MOA is not fully understood, but the end result is an increase in GABA levels (by inhibiting enzymes which deactivate GABA and/or maybe stimulating GABA synthesis). Either way I just had to share, as I believe it to have saved my goddam life. :D

They should put this shit in the drinking water it's so good. Imagine, everyone perfectly centered, no thoughts astray. Engineering might become a religion.

Last edited:
I would pursue cognitive behavioral therapy. It's difficult and scary, but it works.

This advice is just awful, as cannabis tends to exacerbate social anxiety for most people.

ebola

Cannabis + CBT/Exposure Therapy
can be effective.

It's difficult + scary
but it can work.

I am diagnosed with Bipolar II, GAD, PTSD and OCD.

I take Lamictal, Clonazepam, Ativan, Prazosin and Buspirone. It took a while to find a good combination for me, but so far this is working.

^Good for you!

I'm schizophrenic and I take 300mg Wellbutrin, 4mg ativan, 10mg haldol, 30mg abilify, and 40mg dextromethylphenidate. Seems to be working well. I couldn't go to school without the stimulating medicines. They really do help me. Can't say I've been perfect with respect to using all my meds as prescribed all the time, but I'm learning, and abuse is happening less frequently.

^ Good, I am glad to hear that the abuse is happening less frequently. We all know that drugs + anxiety isn't always a good combination... but we do it anyway for the most part ;)

Anyway, I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist about adding Wellbutrin, for it's stimulating effects and also to see if it'll help with my depression a little bit more.

It works better than anything I've tried before. But I know someone who used it for 1.5 years and then it pooped out...

It's definitely less effective than before, so I might switch to an SNRI.

I always make sure I have enough.

Slipped not yesterday but the day before. Might put it in TDS

I am diagnosed with Bipolar II, GAD, PTSD and OCD.

I take Lamictal, Clonazepam, Ativan, Prazosin and Buspirone. It took a while to find a good combination for me, but so far this is working.

damn do you still have a sex drive by any chance?ive noticed that just 1 mg of k-pins taken daily or pretty much any benzo really blunts my sex drive...pretty much all anti-anxiety meds have this problem and adding welbutrin didnt help..

im trying to figure out which is better or worse, having bad anxiety and normal sex drive or having much decreased anxiety but no sex drive...gee, what a choice..

sadly welbutrin only seemed to provide stimulating effects for 2-3 weeks then it died out..dosage increase didnt help, plus it worsened my anxiety and seemed to not do much for my depression after awhile..seems to really help some folks..

I've heard great things about gotu kola. The downside is that with ANY medication (benzos, gotu kola, phenibut, etc.) tolerance will build. To avoid this, one typically will need CBT (and lots of it) if severe anxiety is a lasting problem. Some doctors will prescribe SSRIs or similar for anxiety, but who wants to go on something for life? My dad does it. Plenty of other people do too... whether or not that is a suitable solution is an individual choice.

Ssris did seem to somewhat help my anxiety but not in the way i wanted..they just made me simply not care about anything..i gained weight, laid around and slept all the time, simly didnt care if i sat in front of a tv all day long, i was in a fuzzy content bubble on them and i didnt like it tbh..