• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Good Anxiety Medication

etizolam; less dependence, less tolerance, less withdrawal, helps with depression, more potent anxiolysis than diazepam. Use as needed preferably.

if you must go the benzo route, go with etizolam instead. Gabapentin and lyrica may work but also have withdrawals and side effects like weight gain.

SSRIs will not touch a real anxiety disorder, i know people believe they work, but there's no evidence to suggest that they are effective, especially compared to the real anxiolytics out there. Opiates work well at first but not after the honeymoon stage. Sometimes stimulants work for some kinds of anxiety, especially social anxiety. Most people i've encountered who have anxiety disorders and are scripted SNRIs, SSRIs actually have far worse anxiety while on them than when they started.

Cannabis works for some people, a pure indica may help but i doubt kush would help, just way too much THC. THC is what causes anxiety in cannabis, if you can find something super low in thc and high in other cannabinoids then it may be effective.

Other than that, you have to dig deep to find where the anxiety is coming from. If there truly is no source, which is rare, then you may just be one of those people who need to be on a benzo or have them around at least.

as well, don't be put off by benzos so badly, the only huge downside to them is the mind fog, the withdrawal, dependence is only an issue if you are abusing them and run out. If used at a therapeutic dose and not abused, benzodiazepines can maintain their efficacy for a very long time. However many of them cause mental fog, which is why i much prefer etizolam as it's very clear headed once you are used to it.

I have severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder with agoraphobia and occasional panic attack episodes, and I currently take trazodone at bedtime, gabapentin 4 times a day, and lorazepam as needed. This combination is working pretty well for me. I also take Focalin for ADD and it also helps me to be more outgoing and confident.

Personally I would NEVER allow a doctor to talk me into taking an SSRI or SNRI. I've tried a bunch and they made my anxiety SO much worse, I was on the verge of suicide.

Alcohol and marijuana are also things to stay away from.

A well balanced diet, b complex vitamins, magnesium supplements, l-theanine, and regular exercise and a good consistent sleep schedule are also very important.

Gotu kola is also a good herb to try out for anxiety. It works amazingly well for some people.

Last edited:
^ I have not heard of got kola. Have you personally tried it? Is it fast acting or must it build up?

I just heard of it in January of this year. A friend gave me a handful of gotu kola capsules, and it does work right away. It's nothing like a pharmaceutical, but it's a noticeable feeling. It's sort of relaxing but yet stimulating. It definitely eases everyday anxiety, but also leaves you motivated to carry on your everyday activities. I read up on it and some sources called it an "adaptogen". I took 4 capsules and that got me through the day without having to take my Ativan at all. I can see a lot of benefit in taking it regularly, but alas, I am broke as shit and have to stick to my meds that Medicaid pays for.

Darksidesam said:
try and find some CBD

it may be available to you or not, just search for it.

are you sure you didnt mean CBT as in cognitive behavioral therapy?

are you sure you didnt mean CBT as in cognitive behavioral therapy?

I'm not sure what they meant, but CBD is cannabidiol, a component of marijuana. It has a strong anti anxiety effect (it also is believed to be an anti cancer agent). While THC causes anxiety for many people, CBD has an opposite effect. There are strains of pot being produced that are very high in CBD and are very low in THC, these strains can be very helpful for people who suffer from anxiety.

Personally I stay away from all pot, I have no access to medical quality high CBD bud. If anyone can find some pure CBD, an extract, or has access to medical bud, it's definitely worth checking out.

As for CBT, I tend to think that it's total bullshit, but thats just me. It might help some people.

I just heard of it in January of this year. A friend gave me a handful of gotu kola capsules, and it does work right away. It's nothing like a pharmaceutical, but it's a noticeable feeling. It's sort of relaxing but yet stimulating. It definitely eases everyday anxiety, but also leaves you motivated to carry on your everyday activities. I read up on it and some sources called it an "adaptogen". I took 4 capsules and that got me through the day without having to take my Ativan at all. I can see a lot of benefit in taking it regularly, but alas, I am broke as shit and have to stick to my meds that Medicaid pays for.

So even though its slightly stimulating it still works well for anxiety?

The only reason I ask is because I have a huge fear of taking medications and them causing me *more* anxiety :(

So even though its slightly stimulating it still works well for anxiety?

The only reason I ask is because I have a huge fear of taking medications and them causing me *more* anxiety :(
I have the same fear my friend, a ton of things that I've tried have mad my anxiety worse, and it's fucking bad already, so I am weary of new things as well. I shouldn't say it's stimulating, motivating is a better word, and it's anti anxiety effect is not like any form of sedation, it just made me feel "normal" which was wonderful, but kind of weird at the same time because I very rarely feel anything even close to normal.

Apparently this herb is good for all kind of things. Read these links and look around the internet for other things, this is a pretty interesting plant.
http://www.nutritional-supplements-guides.com/gotukola.html
http://www.secrets-of-longevity-in-humans.com/gotu-kola-facts.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centella_asiatica

Personally I stay away from all pot, I have no access to medical quality high CBD bud. If anyone can find some pure CBD, an extract, or has access to medical bud, it's definitely worth checking out.

Actually, pot that is 'high CBD' is still THC dominant by far (data from a selection of strains in the PNW suggests advertised 'sativas' and 'indicas' overall quite similar). And I haven't heard of extracted CBD being available, even in medical card states.

ebola

go the herb and supplement route along with excercise and a healthy diet. I can't see how anxiety can still persist if you consistently take the variety of vitamin/supplement and Herbals that help with anxiety while sticking to a healthy lifestyle involving excercise and the right nutrition.

I have the same fear my friend, a ton of things that I've tried have mad my anxiety worse, and it's fucking bad already, so I am weary of new things as well. I shouldn't say it's stimulating, motivating is a better word, and it's anti anxiety effect is not like any form of sedation, it just made me feel "normal" which was wonderful, but kind of weird at the same time because I very rarely feel anything even close to normal.

Apparently this herb is good for all kind of things. Read these links and look around the internet for other things, this is a pretty interesting plant.
http://www.nutritional-supplements-guides.com/gotukola.html
http://www.secrets-of-longevity-in-humans.com/gotu-kola-facts.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centella_asiatica

Thank you so much for that information. I'm going to order some and give it a try. I'm desperate for any sort of relief and I'm tired of being a "slave" to benzodiazepines. I prefer natural 110%- and the other benefits of that herb seem amazing also!

Actually, pot that is 'high CBD' is still THC dominant by far (data from a selection of strains in the PNW suggests advertised 'sativas' and 'indicas' overall quite similar). And I haven't heard of extracted CBD being available, even in medical card states.

ebola
I dont know if CBD extracts are available but it would be nice. I have seen strains from a few seed banks that are CBD dominant. If you browse some of the forums for breeders you'll see that people are continuously working on increasing CBD and decreasing THC. I would love to see the day that someone successfully produces a strain that is mostly CBD with a negligible THC count. THC gives me panic attacks. I used to love smoking bud too. IDK what happened, but I miss my stoner days.

i wish my kpins did that to me. i'd feel more normal. at the moment i feel like i'm starving or something if i don't take more than one a day. five a day is great...maybe six. feel normal kind of. psych won't go up...tolerance will. otherwise i think kpins are the greatest of all for me and perhaps the only chemical inthe world that helps me because the other benzos are too fast acting and when i go back to crazy it's like my mind is a plane crashing. i've tried everything

I got pretty out of control with kpins. I started taking 3 mg/day, then 6, and in a couple of months I was taking 20 mg/day and it stopped working. Then I started adding Xanax, first 3 or 4 bars a day, and eventually I was taking 10 bars a day. 20 mg of Xanax on top of 20 mg of Klonopin daily for a few years. Coming off that was the worst experience of my life. I had two pretty severe seizures, was sick for almost a year, even with a taper, and now almost a year later I still have PAWS symptoms.

So I have been dealing with a social phobia for about as long as I can remember. I have tried multiple barbiturates, (valiam, xanax, klonopin) but the memory loss and waking up across town are a bit to much to deal with. Opiates give me a good repieve that lets me stay social and act like me, but the cost and gradually having to dose up make me want to stay away.

So my question to you is, are there any real effective pharms. other these two and lithium, for anxiety disorders?

Sorry if placed this in the wrong place or it brakes a rule, I'm new.

Thanks, Loots:\

My advice: try an antihistamine.

Honestly, we haven't yet developed anxiolytics that retain efficacy in the long term when taken regularly.

ebola

I wholly, though respectfully, disagree. The tolerance to the anxiolytic effects of benzodiazepines develops to a limited extent or not at all. Clonazepam is probably the most effective day-long treatment.

I agree that social anxiety is only rarely and circumstantially remedied through cannabis.

I have a family member who has anxiety and self harm issues. He has recently been put on clonidine, which seems to be working well. I am on Klonopin, but love the idea of switching to clonidine. Being on Klonopin makes me feel like my brain is Swiss cheese. I can't remember things, plus I am always feeling like I need to up my dose. Anyone else use clonidine for anxiety? If there is already another thread on this, please let me know. I have tapered off of Klonopin in the past, and know first hand how horrible he physical withdrawal symptoms are. I get no recreational value out of the Klonopin, so I only take them as prescribed (or slightly more if I am super anxious and can't sleep).

If you want something that doesn't cause dependence or tolerance then use L-Theanine. It is a natural amino acid commonly found in green tea.

I've tried everything under the sun for anxiety and that's the only thing that I would ever recommend unless you want to be dependent on benzos for the rest of your life. Contrary to popular belief, tolerance does not ever develop to the anxiolytic effect of benzos when taken as prescribed.