• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Going to try kicking my opiate habbit.....once again with subs

It sounds like you experience a rougher transition than most, although with the size of your habit I guess it is expected. I hope you start feeling better ASAP.

It's not abnormal for it to take 1-2 weeks for someone to stabilize on buprenorphine. You should feel much better each day, with each dose even (I'm not suggesting just taking more and more necessarily, although you might want to try more than 12mg/day for a couple days of it's available).

If you ever have to deal with this shit again, knock on wood, I'd suggest just going the methadone route (at least for detox if one doesn't feel the need or is up to committing to a longer program). I feel like I underestimate the significance of your habit, given I only have a little experience with hydromorphone.

Waited 30 hrs.....I never touched a 26 on the COWS.

Now, I feel a little better on 12mg of sub.....but I am still vomiting from time to time even with the zofran. Also, extremely emotional. I find myself crying like a little bitch when watching TV.

I went to the ER because I was worried about dehydration. They wanted to send me to inpatient therapy....nope. I took my subs and left. I still feel like total shit and my stomach is on fire.....burns....
Damn it man. I feel for u. I can't get comfortable on subs at all. I end up using on top of them. I feel like such a failure. I really hope u succeed. I'll be praying for u!! If u are a believer, lean on the lord! I feel like In certain situations he is the only thing that can save us.

That crying for nearly no reason crap is similar to pseudo bulbar affect minus the easy laughing part, although your sense of humor might become a little more exaggerated towards the end of your transition. I've had it happen during rough poly drug withdrawal and it scared the crap out of me but it will pass.

Another problem I've faced is that the effect of benzos & opioids equals more than the sum of it's parts. The synergism between the two make each more effective and when removing one the other loses efficacy for awhile making your W/D even rougher. I'm not all that comfortable in telling someone to increase their benzo use while concomitantly using Clonidine but a slight increase for a short while might smooth things out a bit. I'm sure sorry this transition / induction was such a bitch..

Hey fellas.....I'm only now having problems with EXTREME nasuea and vomiting. I took zofran but it doesn't help. If I can get the vomiting under control i think ill be ok. Any suggestions??

Is this much nausea normal for you on buprenorphine? Other than comfort meds I really don't know what to say. That really sucks you are still struggling with this.

Wusup Vic? How r u? I've been checking to see if you have posted.
I hope everything is well with you.
I'm praying for you buddy. I feel like we have a lot in common even tho we don't know each other.
I'm pretty much in your same situation and fighting like hell.
Let us know how u are if you get back on here

Hey just took my subutex 5 hours after OxyContin I think I may be in the clear I no I didn't wait long

After just reading this chap's story, I really hope everything worked out and he fought the demon.

PWS and number of years using?

Im so scared of PWS because I JUST found out the fact that I’ve used H 5 years makes a big difference. I started out small, did 1g per day for a few years, then went down to .5 for last two months.
Will I have to wait longer than 24 hours? I’m afraid I won’t work the COWS right. I do ha r gabapentin clonodine klonopin and muscle relaxants but I’ve never done this. How can I avoid PWS without waiting an intolerable “safe” amount like 48 hours. Anyone used for 5 years or longer at similar amounts? Will subs even work? Thanks so much.

Victor hasn't logged in since August 13th.

jjacobsen, you were here an hour ago though, how have you been?

hey man thanks for asking. it went well. i only waited 24 hours and no precipitated withdrawal. the clonodine and gabapentin REALLY helped me through the pre induction period. i will say that after 3 or 4 fine days i startd getting HORRIBLE headaches, nausea, and just horrible feeling. i'm writing about this because doctors were clueless about it and many people here as well. as best as i can figure out i tapered too fast. i inducted too high--12 mg, and in my hurry to get off, i went down every two days--10mg, 8mg, 6mg. etc. it was too fast. once i went back to 8 and waited a week at each dose to go down ONE MILIGRAM i was fine, aside from very bad headaches every few days.

i know that i have found the info too general, and not tailored to individual bodily and chemistry specifics so let me say vis a vis my 24 hour induction period. i weighted 205 lbs., used to have a pretty fast metabolism (i think opiates slowed it). the key sign to me i was ready was CRAZY pain and discomfort in legs --RLS. Like literally kicking them uncontrollably, and punching them over and over.

but my advice is dose LOW and wait AN HOUR to see if it's enough. waiting a half hour was NOT LONG ENOUGH and caused me to induct way too high, leaving me with a LONG taper process. as far as tapering goes, i have found tramadol helps with the worst of it which is on the 3rd or 4th day after lowering, but don't stay on it. also keep in mind the worst feelings disappear after 15 min to an hour, so don't panic and start thinking about other meds to take. am going off next week. am on .5 mg now for last week. wish me luck!
amazing how little the cravings are! keep in mind i had g a day habit for 5 years!

Just to clarify you haven't induced Subs (or had a PWD-syndrome) since your first post right ? The problem that I had with the first article was that while they recommended the COWS they also stated " The patient should be in mild to moderate withdrawal before taking the first dose of buprenorphine." This sounds like trouble waiting to happen and was probably designed to get more people into the clinic before relapsing while trying to tough it out for a day and a half.

The approach I was endorsing was to put some heavy work in getting nice and sick first hence skipping the PWD without needing a rescue method. That seemed to be more emphasized in the Drugs.com article. The hitting a 26 on the COWS and still having a PWD is anomalous from my experience though. Possibly something to do with your body mass and composition. Apologies for not elucidating that point better.

Honestly I know everyone is different and I think you made some great points about not waiting to supplement more suboxone when in PWD, however I have severe chronic pain and would rather deal with moderate PWD (I guess I’m lucky never had much trouble switching) for a short time than suffer the slow agonizing standard WD.

That’s just me, fuck I wish I could find a doctor who would prescribe me subs for pain management I’m on Dilaudid but it’s fucking short acting and helps my pain but not even close to how well the subs work it’s like the first time I can breathe again, I would drop pills entirely if I had manageable pain. Seriously the subs work so well on my pain it’s better than a benzo buzz.