• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Glaucine

Hammilton

Bluelighter
Glaucine has recently shown up in some legal highs (one of the LU Doves type products has it with diphenylprolinol IIRC).

It's been say to produce visual effects- but it looks like a dopamine agonist or antagonist. It doesn't seem to produce massive puking, and I think if it were a DA antagonist it'd block any visual effects.

Is there anything known about how it produces it's effect? I know it has the 3,4-DMA skeleton in it, but that seems irrelevant considering the number of other aporphines that do and don't have this effect.

I've been trying atherospermidine and nuciferine a bit lately, but haven't had any effects like have been described with glaucine.

Any ideas?

i believe it does parallel a bit with nuciferine and both antagonize DA, howvewr glaucine may have more NMDA antagonism and do some other paths
Biochemical and Behavioral Effects of Boldine and Glaucine on Dopamine Systems - Bulbocapnine, corytuberine, boldine and glaucine
Asencio M. · Delaquerriere B. · Cassels B.K. · Speisky H. · Comoy E. · Protais P.

The aporphine alkaloids boldine and glaucine have been reported to show ''neuroleptic-like'' actions in mice, suggesting that they may act as dopamine antagonists. We have found that in vitro boldine displaces specific striatal [3H]-SCH 23390 binding with IC50 = 0.4 μM and [3H]-raclopride binding with IC50 = 0.5 μM, while the affinities of glaucine at the same sites are an order of magnitude lower. In vivo, however, 40 mg/kg boldine (IP) did not modify specific striatal [3H]-raclopride binding and only decreased [3H]-SCH 23390 binding by 25%. On the other hand, 40 mg/kg glaucine (IP) displaced both radioligands by about 50%. Behaviors (climbing, sniffing, grooming) elicited in mice by apomorphine (0.75 mg/kg SC) were not modified by boldine at doses up to 40 mg/kg (IP) but were almost completely abolished by 40 mg/kg glaucine (IP). In the apomorphine-induced (0.1 mg/kg SC) rat yawning and penile erection model, boldine and glaucine appeared to be similarly effective, inhibiting both behaviors by more than 50% at 40 mg/kg (IP). Boldine and glaucine, injected IP at doses up to 40 mg/kg, were poor modifiers of dopamine metabolism in mouse and rat striatum. These data suggest that boldine does not display effective central dopaminergic antagonist activities in vivo in spite of its good binding affinity at D1- and D2-like receptors, and that glaucine, although less effective in vitro, does appear to exhibit some antidopaminergic properties in vivo.

Yes, it produces visuals and no sickness whatsoever. The visuals weren't as strong as LSD but it was nice to watch. %)
LU has other things but piperazines now?

OK, I'm intrigued. Not particularly intrigued with taking the compound, but intrigued by the structure and how it could give rise to psychedelic-like visuals. It shares nothing in common with any of the usual suspects of serotonergic psychedelia and if anything it would anticipated to have neuroleptic effects. I suppose, as mentioned, it could be an NMDA pore blocker, as NMDA antagonists can look like almost anything.

Can anyone provide a detailed description as to the nature of the visual effects--I mean, it is obviously impossible to 'transmit' a qualitative state, but a description compared with other psychedelics might be interesting.

I think I was reminded of light MDA visuals when I took it long ago but it's hard for me to remember. What I like so much about the substance is that it seems to have qualities of an opiate and yet had such strong visuals while it was only a mild dose. I just layed around on my bed feeling content kinda like kratom does for me. Does it have any real psychedelic qualities? If so it sure could be interesting if new compounds could be based of this one. Imagine non addictive opiates :p

^ it lacks the dopaminergic aspect of opiates, the overt euphoria, but it has those qualities 'around the edges'

>atherospermidine and nuciferine ? What are these compounds like??? I'm aware of NMDA and non-NMDA antagonists with the spermidine base(n,n,n-tribenzyl/n-dansyl-) are they similar?

I have a couple grams of this hanging around. What doses do you guys use, what's the duration of the effects, what are some side effects, what sorts of visuals does it provide, etc.

(zonk) said:
>atherospermidine and nuciferine ? What are these compounds like??? I'm aware of NMDA and non-NMDA antagonists with the spermidine base(n,n,n-tribenzyl/n-dansyl-) are they similar?

No, not at all. Nuciferine feels mostly like a dopamine antagonist, but it doesn't cloud my mind as much, and leaves my muscles feeling funny, stiff sort of.

That makes me uneasy about trying it again.

I got little effect from the atherospermidine, I'm thinking low oral BA.

While we're on the subject of Lotus, does anyone here have any experience with Aporphine (another Lotus Alkaloid)? I've always been curious about this one.

Wikipedia says:
Aporphine is one of a class of quinoline alkaloids. Many different analogues of this compound have been purified from plants.[1] One commonly-used aporphine derivative is apomorphine, which is used to treat Parkinson's disease,[2] erectile dysfunction and sexual arousal disorder.[3]

200px-Aporphine.svg.png

IUPAC name: (6-Methyl-5,6,6a,7-tetrahydro-4H-dibenzo(de,g)quinoline

why would you purpously take a DA antagonist? regardless I'm interested in glaucine(for the other effects). Anyone have experience?

It's not been confirmed as an antagonist, actually, but that seems likely.

besides being an antagonist, it has other positive effects. for me, though (for nuciferine this is, AT is an agonist) I didn't get much useful out of it. My mind was clear, but my muscles weren't.

If it weren't for that, I would take it more.

From this site: http://www.sopharma.com/glauvent.phtml?PHPSESSID=ea43c8175815a47ff715da282203a6c1

what are the active doses? also it does claim vomiting at higher doses.

"Glaucine

Drug form and composition

Coated tablets. One tablet (for children) contains 10 mg Glaucine hydrobromide. One tablet (for adults) contains 40 mg Glaucine hydrobromide.

Indications

Dry cough of different etiology, including acute and chronic bronchitis, inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract, pneumonia, silicosis, tuberculosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, infectious diseases (pertusis, grippe, etc.).

Dosage and administration

In adults, the recommended dose is 40 mg (1 coated tablet), 3 times daily. Maximal daily dose is 200 mg, and the single dose may be as high as 80 mg. In children, older than 4 years the dose is 10 mg (1 tablet), 2-3 times daily. Glauvent should be taken after nutrition.

Contraindications

Hypersensitivity to glaucine; arterial hypotension; acute myocardial infarction; children younger than 4 years.

Special warnings and precautions

Glauvent should be used with care in patients with unstable or low arterial pressure, as a risk of collapse exists due to the adrenolytic activity of the preparation. The medicine should not be applied in productive cough, because it may cause retention of the bronchial secretion and bronchial obturation. Although no data exist concerning the embryotoxic and teratogenic effect of the Glauvent, it should be used with care in pregnant and nursing women.

Drug interactions

No adverse drug interactions are registered so far.

Adverse reactions

Rarely in high dose following symptoms may appear: fatigue, dizziness, blood pressure decrease, nausea, and vomiting.

Pharmacological mechanisms

Glauvent is a non-narcotic antitussive preparation with central action. The active component of the medicine is the alkaloid from the plant Glaucinum flavum. Glauvent depresses the cough center, causing no effect on the respiratory center. It does not cause drug-dependence. Although the preparation exerts a weak spasmolytic effect, it does not influence intestinal motor function and does not cause constipation. Glauvent possesses some analgesic and anti-inflammatory actions."

I wanted to chime in and talk about my one experience with Glaucine. I took maybe 200 mg orally and got very little euphoria. So little euphoria I had no desire to repeat the experience, considering the vendor my friend got it from charged a lot (it costed him like maybe $35 for a gram). All Glaucine caused was a very bland, boring generic sedative feeling. I was relaxed but not peaceful and content in that classic opiate sort of way at all.

One of my books has bulbocapnine listed as hallucinogenic, although its a herbal, not a 'drug slut book =D) its toxic for sure, used to induce catatonia in experimental animals I believe, and to induce compliance in prisoners, I think the CIA might have fucked with it for that.

I believe it acts by decreasing biosynthesis of dopamine or is a depleter like reserpine but far more selective for DA over other monoamines.

Glaucine may produce side effects such as sedation, fatigue, and a hallucinogenic effect characterised by colourful visual images, and has recently been detected as a novel recreational drug.

Even wikipedia says this could be a recreational drug.

^^u beat me to the punch. Wiki is usefull but always check sources especially when it talks about obscure chems being recreational.

catatonia+sedation are just due to dopamine blocking. I wouldn't say thier toxide just not much fun. Jails love Rxing these types of meds, it's thier "cure-all"