Supplements GHB as a performance enhancer

4meSM

Bluelighter
It's widely recognized that Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) offers a range of benefits that could potentially enhance performance, particularly when combined with exercise and strength training.

The administration of GHB or its prodrugs, such as gamma-butyrolactone (GBL) and 1,4-butanediol (1,4-bdo), has been demonstrated to increase human growth hormone levels significantly (shortly after). Moreover, it has been noted for promoting high-quality sleep, unlike virtually any other GABAergic medications or sleep aids.

Certain studies even suggest that GHB administration may facilitate weight loss and body recomposition, specifically reducing fat and increasing muscle mass, at least in laboratory animals.
However, for reasons that remain unclear, GHB does not seem to exert these beneficial effects in alcoholics (and potentially those with cocaine addiction as well).

GHB was reportedly utilized by bodybuilders as a performance enhancer during the 1990s and early 2000s 70s and 80s (got the decades wrong), yet detailed firsthand accounts are somewhat scarce. I'm interested in learning about your experiences with GHB/GBL, particularly in its role as a performance enhancer.
Did it help you build muscle faster?
Some of you may not have direct experience with GHB but are quite knowledgeable about PEDs. So, in your opinion, could it be effective when administered in low to moderate doses before sleep?

Here are some sources

Increases in Serum Growth Hormone Concentrations Associated with GHB Administration

Toxicological Characterization of GHB as a Performance-Enhancing Drug

Long-term administration of GHB does not affect muscular mass in alcoholics

Last edited:
I’m no body-builder but can confirm GHB is performance enhancer. When my GHB use wasn’t all about sex or party I used to also work out on it, and definitely had will to work out more and harder + working out felt really great. If I continued to use it longer I would surely noticed gains, and probably got addicted to it along that.

I’m no body-builder but can confirm GHB is performance enhancer. When my GHB use wasn’t all about sex or party I used to also work out on it, and definitely had will to work out more and harder + working out felt really great. If I continued to use it longer I would surely noticed gains, and probably got addicted to it along that.

I've only worked out on GHB once and it definitely made it more enjoyable, so that's interesting. But I usually only take it at night because I figured that's when the body builds muscle, so having an amazing sleep-aid + an increase in GH at the same time seems optimal.

It's also an amazing performance enhancer when it comes to sex, that's for sure (best sex drug ever IMO).

But yeah, I'm not a bodybuilder either but recently started working out more because I want to increase my muscle mass and maybe lose some unnecessary belly fat (I'm not overweight but my opiate binges kinda fucked up my metabolism).

I've only worked out on GHB once and it definitely made it more enjoyable, so that's interesting. But I usually only take it at night because I figured that's when the body builds muscle, so having an amazing sleep-aid + an increase in GH at the same time seems optimal.

It's also an amazing performance enhancer when it comes to sex, that's for sure (best sex drug ever IMO).

But yeah, I'm not a bodybuilder either but recently started working out more because I want to increase my muscle mass and maybe lose some unnecessary belly fat (I'm not overweight but my opiate binges kinda fucked up my metabolism).
When I got it I read how body-builders usually use it at night to increase muscle building but that was not an option for me as I didn’t want to “waste” high like that. As weed was usually enough to deal with insomnia I used to leave GHB for other uses.

Out of shitty meds I can get prescribed GHB would do me a lot more good. Some day I’ll surely get it and given how I’m different person than back in the days I’ll surely use it a lot more for work out and so double benefits. If nothing using is to kick-start healthier, more active lifestyle doesn’t seem like too risky if use is not prolonged indefinitely.

It's widely recognized that Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) offers a range of benefits that could potentially enhance performance, particularly when combined with exercise and strength training.

The administration of GHB or its prodrugs, such as gamma-butyrolactone (GBL) and 1,4-butanediol (1,4-bdo), has been demonstrated to increase human growth hormone levels significantly (shortly after). Moreover, it has been noted for promoting high-quality sleep, unlike virtually any other GABAergic medications or sleep aids.

Certain studies even suggest that GHB administration may facilitate weight loss and body recomposition, specifically reducing fat and increasing muscle mass, at least in laboratory animals.
However, for reasons that remain unclear, GHB does not seem to exert these beneficial effects in alcoholics (and potentially those with cocaine addiction as well).

GHB was reportedly utilized by bodybuilders as a performance enhancer during the 1990s and early 2000s, yet detailed firsthand accounts are somewhat scarce. I'm interested in learning about your experiences with GHB/GBL, particularly in its role as a performance enhancer.
Did it help you build muscle faster?
Some of you may not have direct experience with GHB but are quite knowledgeable about PEDs. So, in your opinion, could it be effective when administered in low to moderate doses before sleep?

Here are some sources

Increases in Serum Growth Hormone Concentrations Associated with GHB Administration

Toxicological Characterization of GHB as a Performance-Enhancing Drug

Long-term administration of GHB does not affect muscular mass in alcoholics

GHB was biggest in the 70s and 80s, before it was banned. It used to be sold in health stores and every bodybuilding magazine. It got banned for obvious reasons of addiction risk and dose escalation.

I'm unlikely to be fully objective here since one of my best bodybuilding friends started using it for the enhanced nighttime GH secretion, eventually became an addict, then choked to death one night on his own vomit while unconscious from his regular nighttime dose.

Alcohol inhibits GH release (and pulsatility) hence why it will tend to block the effects of GH releasers or pulsatility enhancers.

Honestly, there's a dozen cheap, easy to buy peptides from peptide websites all over the clearnet now that'll do the job GHB/GBL used to do but without the risks of addiction and death. Go with them.

Honestly, there's a dozen cheap, easy to buy peptides from peptide websites all over the clearnet now that'll do the job GHB/GBL used to do but without the risks of addiction and death. Go with them.
Do some of those help with insomnia too?

Do some of those help with insomnia too?

Sure, there's quite the variety of legal (well, grey area legal) peptides to guinea pig yourself on these days. Some specifically intended for sleep (eg orexin peptides etc). But even the most common GHRPs can tend to knock you off to sleep taken at the right time before bed.

GHB was biggest in the 70s and 80s, before it was banned. It used to be sold in health stores and every bodybuilding magazine. It got banned for obvious reasons of addiction risk and dose escalation.

I'm unlikely to be fully objective here since one of my best bodybuilding friends started using it for the enhanced nighttime GH secretion, eventually became an addict, then choked to death one night on his own vomit while unconscious from his regular nighttime dose.

Alcohol inhibits GH release (and pulsatility) hence why it will tend to block the effects of GH releasers or pulsatility enhancers.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. I probably wouldn't be able to be fully objective either.

I actually have quite a bit of experience with ghb/gbl, but never used it as a performance enhancer until now. I've been experimenting (on&off) with it for close to 3 years now since I have access to very high quality stuff.

While it can be an extremely problematic drug if one becomes dependent or isn't careful with it, I personally find it to be one of the least dangerous/most forgiving substances I've tried. It feels great, yet doesn't have the same addictive pull of other drugs like opioids, amphetamines or nicotine, and is infinitely more forgiving than benzos when it comes to physical addiction (as long as you don't use multiple times a day). It also doesn't have the toxicity of alcohol.
Plus GHB is quite well studied and is even prescribed as a daily medication to people with narcolepsy.

I've never overdosed as I'm already quite careful when it comes to drugs, and with GBL I always measure my doses using a 1mL syringe and don't use too much (around 1.2-1.5mL nowadays).
Obviously it isn't risk free but I do feel quite comfortable with it.
I'm not sure about using novel peptides since many of them haven't been researched in depth... TBH I'd have to read a lot more before I even consider trying some of those.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. I probably wouldn't be able to be fully objective either.

I actually have quite a bit of experience with ghb/gbl, but never used it as a performance enhancer until now. I've been experimenting (on&off) with it for close to 3 years now since I have access to very high quality stuff.

While it can be an extremely problematic drug if one becomes dependent or isn't careful with it, I personally find it to be one of the least dangerous/most forgiving substances I've tried. It feels great, yet doesn't have the same addictive pull of other drugs like opioids, amphetamines or nicotine, and is infinitely more forgiving than benzos when it comes to physical addiction (as long as you don't use multiple times a day). It also doesn't have the toxicity of alcohol.
Plus GHB is quite well studied and is even prescribed as a daily medication to people with narcolepsy.

I've never overdosed as I'm already quite careful when it comes to drugs, and with GBL I always measure my doses using a 1mL syringe and don't use too much (around 1.2-1.5mL nowadays).
Obviously it isn't risk free but I do feel quite comfortable with it.
I'm not sure about using novel peptides since many of them haven't been researched in depth... TBH I'd have to read a lot more before I even consider trying some of those.
I wouldn't use the fact that it's prescribed to some people as an indicator of safety. Benzos, methamphetamine, cocaine, barbiturates, oxycodone, hydro/oxymorphone are all prescribed/administered to people as well and all have many documented cases of abuse, chemical dependency, addiction, and overdose. As cfc mentioned, the dose response curve is not very forgiving as it's very easy to go from "therapeutic" to g'd out especially if using a liquid preparation that you don't know the concentration or gbl/other prodrugs which metabolize to active drug and can be impacted in many ways.

Reactions: CFC
I wouldn't use the fact that it's prescribed to some people as an indicator of safety. Benzos, methamphetamine, cocaine, barbiturates, oxycodone, hydro/oxymorphone are all prescribed/administered to people as well and all have many documented cases of abuse, chemical dependency, addiction, and overdose. As cfc mentioned, the dose response curve is not very forgiving as it's very easy to go from "therapeutic" to g'd out especially if using a liquid preparation that you don't know the concentration or gbl/other prodrugs which metabolize to active drug and can be impacted in many ways.
I kind of agree. However all the research I've seen about GHB indicates that it's very well tolerated and provides many positive effects related to high quality sleep and GH release. If someone has some info regarding dangerous side effects of GHB use I'd genuinely like to see it. As far as I know, all of the main risks are related to dependency (dosing around the clock) and overdosing (excluding some neurotoxicity in rats with very small doses which may not be applicable to humans).

I'm not trying to downplay the risks of improper use of street ghb or gray market prodrugs, what you said about the dose-response curve is true, and it can also be very dangerous when mixed with alcohol or other gabaergics. I'm very lucky because I have access to 99.9% pure gbl.
I also don't dose immediately before sleep but around 1-2h prior because I like to enjoy the recreational effects as well (I personally don't experience the famous rebound with 1.2-1.4mL)

I kind of agree. However all the research I've seen about GHB indicates that it's very well tolerated and provides many positive effects related to high quality sleep and GH release. If someone has some info regarding dangerous side effects of GHB use I'd genuinely like to see it. As far as I know, all of the main risks are related to dependency (dosing around the clock) and overdosing (excluding some neurotoxicity in rats with very small doses which may not be applicable to humans).

I'm not trying to downplay the risks of improper use of street ghb or gray market prodrugs, what you said about the dose-response curve is true, and it can also be very dangerous when mixed with alcohol or other gabaergics. I'm very lucky because I have access to 99.9% pure gbl.
I also don't dose immediately before sleep but around 1-2h prior because I like to enjoy the recreational effects as well (I personally don't experience the famous rebound with 1.2-1.4mL)
Just don't want people thinking it's a "free lunch" without risk. As long as all risks are considered, I think it most certainly can be used safely along with many other drugs.

Great for partying and sex. Me and my girl were addicted to it for some months, specially on sex binges. Currently like 10 years without taking it.

To me the only negatives are that is kind of addictive and that you get a ton of sodium with it, as it normally comes as sodium-GHB salt

The high is fabulous, tho... I would totally do some workouts with it but currently I dont have a source for it, and maybe is better this way...

Isn’t GBL depleting body of sodium so alternating GHB Na and GBL somewhat deals with that problem?

Well other option of using GHB Mg is probably better anyway..

Yeah, people wildly underestimate the risk with GHB/GBL, usually on the basis of having handled things well in the past and feeling like it's a less harmful alternative to alcohol. But it only takes one slip up, even just having had a more/less fatty meal than usual beforehand or during. It's an incredibly unforgiving substance.

I used to down easily 10+ mL and wake up on the floor, 4 hours later, like clockwork. I went through a GHB addiction.

The dangers are it’s incredibly acidity and if you have cancer you’ll die quick. Acidity is not good for the body

Isn’t GBL depleting body of sodium so alternating GHB Na and GBL somewhat deals with that problem?

Well other option of using GHB Mg is probably better anyway..
Why would GBL deplete sodium?
What happens is that GBL (cyclic ester = lactone) gets absorbed very quickly into the bloodstream and then gets hydrolyzed by esterases (enzymes), it's a similar process for many other esters that one consumes through the diet (although other esters can be hydrolyzed in different parts of the body, such as the liver, by lipases or esterases).
But once that's done, it behaves like any other carboxylic acid in the blood, it's mostly found as a carboxylate which binds to various different counter ions. GHB is then completely metabolized to CO2 and H2O in the Krebs cycle so you don't actually lose anything worth mentioning.
Regarding acidity, blood pH is tightly regulated so there isn't much risk here unless you're actually consuming huge quantities, but something similar could be said about most organic carboxylic acids (like acetic acid from vinegar).

GHB is like steroids. If you do not work out while using them, they can cause issues. GHB abuse can cause belly bloat, which I'm assuming water weight, if electrolytes are not maintained properly

GHB is like steroids. If you do not work out while using them, they can cause issues. GHB abuse can cause belly bloat, which I'm assuming water weight, if electrolytes are not maintained properly
Are you speaking from personal experience?

In case anyone is wondering, there's about 182mg of sodium per gram of NaGHB. Considering that an average dose is around 2.25g (according to the guidelines for narcolepsy) that ends up being around 410mg of sodium, which is not huge but can quickly add up with multiple redoses. People who take prescribed Xyrem (NaGHB) are generally taking a minimum of 800mg of extra sodium a day, so not too great considering that most people tend to consume a high salt diet already.
KGHB contains about 275mg of potassium per gram, which might sound better considering that many people don't consume enough potassium, yet it could end up being more dangerous than NaGHB with multiple redoses since huge doses of potassium are generally less well tolerated than sodium (can cause heart arrhythmias IIRC).

Cant imagine working out on gbl - i just felt drunk and fell asleep
If it knocked you out like that then you probably took too much.
As I mentioned in my second post, the benefits are mainly related to the release of growth hormone during periods of muscle synthesis, so taking it at night seems ideal (unless you OD, but that goes without saying).