• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Getting Wisdom teeth out next month, is this a weird drug combo?

realbairdzagar

Greenlighter
I'm going to call again tomorrow to ask some questions, but I have a severe fear/phobia of the dentist, so I would like to run some things by here first.

First, my oral surgeon has stated he is going to be using Brevital and Fentanyl via IV sedation after I take a Valium 30 minutes prior. I have tried my best to Google for information on this drug cocktail, but found not much information other than they're old drugs and mostly replaced. Is this true? Is this also what's known as conscious sedation? I was hoping to be asleep rather than just not remembering. I also recall reading someone said they suffered short term memory loss as a result of Brevital. My theory is the surgeon prefers this because most nurses unlicensed to deal with anesthesia won't touch Propofol. I would like to be told I'm wrong on this one.

You’ll be fine and you’ll be out of it. You’ll wake up hours later and not even remember the procedure.

Like seriously this is a common procedure and common drug combo for such a surgery. I had the exact same procedure with the same drugs. It was fine and I don’t remember a thing about it.

Yep, when i had mine done i remember taking to the surgeon, then what felt like immediately after he was saying i was done.

You'll be fine. I had a root canal done and all I took were a couple little blue pills. And for good measure I found out online they were 4x stronger when snorted. So, I just did one a half hour before and I hardly remember even driving there or back. The doc told my wife how out of it I was and he said to not take so much for the follow-up procedure and I did comply but damn, those little things were strong. Warning - I'm a professional, do not attempt this as it was very dangerous, as I later learned.

Damn, where did you have your surgery? In my country all we get is paracetamol and ibuprofen.
Fentanyl and valium are some serious drugs

I'm going to call again tomorrow to ask some questions, but I have a severe fear/phobia of the dentist, so I would like to run some things by here first.

First, my oral surgeon has stated he is going to be using Brevital and Fentanyl via IV sedation after I take a Valium 30 minutes prior. I have tried my best to Google for information on this drug cocktail, but found not much information other than they're old drugs and mostly replaced. Is this true? Is this also what's known as conscious sedation? I was hoping to be asleep rather than just not remembering. I also recall reading someone said they suffered short term memory loss as a result of Brevital. My theory is the surgeon prefers this because most nurses unlicensed to deal with anesthesia won't touch Propofol. I would like to be told I'm wrong on this one.
Overkill, if this is a plain simple wise tooth extraction. Local anaestetic is imo enough, no clue if you would want anything stronger then Ibuprofen for the pain. Never took anything for that procedure.

Drilling, renovation's and root canal. That is when you should start thinking about a benzo beforehand and some opiod like painkillers. Kratom or Codeine would suffice I say, but then again who am I.

I have an terrible form of dental care anxiety. You are not alone but good luck enjoy the trip, the drugs. Ignore the annoying sound if you are concious better yet maybe earphones and music or white noise. But the sound,of the extraction is the main irritating element in this experience.

In case of no abnormalities, nor in your wisdom teeth nor your dr. it is a piece of cake. My expereince

Overkill, if this is a plain simple wise tooth extraction. Local anaestetic is imo enough, no clue if you would want anything stronger then Ibuprofen for the pain. Never took anything for that procedure.

Drilling, renovation's and root canal. That is when you should start thinking about a benzo beforehand and some opiod like painkillers. Kratom or Codeine would suffice I say, but then again who am I.

I have an terrible form of dental care anxiety. You are not alone but good luck enjoy the trip, the drugs. Ignore the annoying sound if you are concious better yet maybe earphones and music or white noise. But the sound,of the extraction is the main irritating element in this experience.

In case of no abnormalities, nor in your wisdom teeth nor your dr. it is a piece of cake. My expereince
The root is buried in my jaw.

Can't they just use a potent local anesthetic like novocaine or benzocaine? What ur dentist is proposing is a little overkill imo! Mind u doctors/dentists in the states tend to go overkill when it comes to medication.

I got ketamine and fentanyl IV. I fought sleeping so hard but was out in
About 7 seconds

Jesus, what kind of masochist are you? I wouldn't even have gotten mine pulled had they not put me under. Oral fuckin' surgery while awake and aware? NO THANKS.

Can't they just use a potent local anesthetic like novocaine or benzocaine? What ur dentist is proposing is a little overkill imo! Mind u doctors/dentists in the states tend to go overkill when it comes to medication.
Christ, I'm always jealous of the NHS because my healthcare costs are astronomical in the US, but if it's common practice to put patients through that much pain over there then fuck that, I'd shell out the dough to be put under and get some actual pain killers.

I didnt feel a thing when they used a local anesthetic when I got one of my back teeth taken out. I think its a phobia thing when ppl want to be knocked out when getting teeth taken out.

Jesus, what kind of masochist are you? I wouldn't even have gotten mine pulled had they not put me under. Oral fuckin' surgery while awake and aware? NO THANKS.

Christ, I'm always jealous of the NHS because my healthcare costs are astronomical in the US, but if it's common practice to put patients through that much pain over there then fuck that, I'd shell out the dough to be put under and get some actual pain killers.
Not a masochist that is just how dental care works over here.

Though the OP mentioned a complicated wisdom tooth.

Then again local anaestetic's and 600 mg Ibuprofen 3 times a day, That is it, no laughing gas, no benzo's from the dr and not fentany or propofol. Except if you are a kid, or have an written out decleration from a dr stating you need to be knocked out.

I mean the OP no harm. But found wisdom extraction rather painless. And I def have the 'Dental Fear'. No suprise as back in my day, when the drill's went hard and were not water cooled. Local anaestetic's were out of the question. Most of my earlier drilling's I underwent 100% totally aware. So Cream Gravy it's more like I am experienced.

Regarding the NHS. I am Dutch we have private insurance companies, we used to have an sort of NHS. But those day's are gone. Currently you basickly can get good medical care if you have mone. The overal cost of my so callled medical insurance cost's about 200.- euro a month of which about 40,- is called 'own risk' never make use of any medical service and this money is yours. Mine get's spend on my dex-amfetamine I am prescribed.

I never even visit a dr. I still wonder who's pocket that money goes.

Last edited:
Not a masochist that is just how dental care works over here.

Though the OP mentioned a complicated wisdom tooth.

Then again local anaestetic's and 600 mg Ibuprofen 3 times a day, That is it, no laughing gas, no benzo's from the dr and not fentany or propofol. Except if you are a kid, or have an written out decleration from a dr stating you need to be knocked out.

I mean the OP no harm. But found wisdom extraction rather painless. And I def have the 'Dental Fear'. No suprise as back in my day, when the drill's went hard and were not water cooled. Local anaestetic's were out of the question. Most of my earlier drilling's I underwent 100% totally aware. So Cream Gravy it's more like I am experienced.

Regarding the NHS. I am Dutch we have private insurance companies, we used to have an sort of NHS. But those day's are gone. Currently you basickly can get good medical care if you have mone. The overal cost of my so callled medical insurance cost's about 200.- euro a month of which about 40,- is called 'own risk' never make use of any medical service and this money is yours. Mine get's spend on my dex-amfetamine I am prescribed.

I never even visit a dr. I still wonder who's pocket that money goes.
You are crazy. The wisdom teeths' roots are buried in my jaw bone and they're impacted at an angle so he has to cut the gums open and dig for them. There's no way in hell I am going to be awake for that, and he said there's no way he'd let me anyway.

You are crazy. The wisdom teeths' roots are buried in my jaw bone and they're impacted at an angle so he has to cut the gums open and dig for them. There's no way in hell I am going to be awake for that, and he said there's no way he'd let me anyway.

No fuzz realbairdzagar, that is why I mentioned 'Though the OP' mentioned a complicated ... " So not your usual extraction, I get it.

But I am in a country, the Netherlands. Where the exact same procedure is done wit local aneastetic's injected at the site. Ibuprofen for the pain. Had a impacted one myself and dr' s are butcher's, at least some of em.

Nothing pesonal against you btw your health care seem's to be more humane that's all. My first few Kratom experience's were solely because of procedure's like this.

And eventulally RC benzo's filled the gap as I have dental anxiety plus. So I totally get you sorry if this came across rude, not intended ;)

Last edited:
No fuzz realbairdzagar, that is why I mentioned 'Though the OP' mentioned a complicated ... " So not your usual extraction, I get it.

But I am in a country, the Netherlands. Where the exact same procedure is done wit local aneastetic's injected at the site. Ibuprofen for the pain. Had one myself and those dr' s are butcher's, at least some of em.

Nothing pesonal against you btw your health care seem's to be more humane that's all. My first few Kratom experience's were solely because of procedure's like this.

And eventulally RC benzo's filled the gap as I have dental anxiety plus. So I totally get you sorry if this came across rude, not intended ;)
Yeah, when I need skin removed I can't stand the sound and feeling of scissors and tugging and stitching... I just dose myself up on etizolam now because they always say I shouldn't need anything more than lidocaine. Well, sure, yeah. But I can HEAR you cutting my fucking skin!

Fentanyl and Valium are very commonly used. Never heard of Brevital.

EDIT: oh yeah, Brevital does sound like an old one and it's an odd and (IMO) risky idea to mix an opiate and a benzo AND a barbiturate derivative.

Anyone flapping out term's like masochist or lunatisme.

The remarks I make are concerning how dentist's and oral dr's work. Not a protocol or manner I myself would consider but it is how it is.

Yeah, when I need skin removed I can't stand the sound and feeling of scissors and tugging and stitching... I just dose myself up on etizolam now because they always say I shouldn't need anything more than lidocaine. Well, sure, yeah. But I can HEAR you cutting my fucking skin!
The sound of the dental drill does that to me.

That's where that idea occured, would music or white noise help. Especially in case of dental shit the sound's could be hard to cancel out.