• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Get to know your neighbo(u)rs from across the pond

I can definitely tell the accent with some singers, such as Lily Allen, but I agree that often singing sounds fairly acccent-neutral. I think it's probably a combination of singing itself and the fact that we grow up hearing US singers more than we do UK singers..

I love it that people fake English accents to be hip, it's hilarious to me :D whenever I've spoken to a US/Aus BLer they have always commented on my accent.

Yea I agree about Lily Allen having a noticeable English accent in her songs. Leona Lewis must have faked an American accent at least in her song "Bleeding Love" because she didn't sound British at all in that song. I just found out that Rod Stewart is British (born and raised in North London) and I had no idea even after listening to him since I was a kid.

Last edited:
It is extremely common for British singers to put on an American accent. I would say it's actually more common than people singing in their normal (or even just a recognisably 'British') accent.

You didn't realise Rod Stewart was English? :D

You'll be telling me you think Led Zeppelin were American next.

Hah this is exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Don't forget about that other band from Texas named Pink Floyd ;)

It is extremely common for British singers to put on an American accent. I would say it's actually more common than people singing in their normal (or even just a recognisably 'British') accent.

"If I listened long enough to you,
I'd find a way to believe that it's all true"

I have a question for you :D In EADD Tinychat last night we were discussing dogging (we were thinking up other acronyms for EADD - East Anglian Dogging Discussion - we are not doggers :D) and I mentioned it to one of my US friends who didn't know what it was. Do any of you know? If so, do you have the same phenomenon in the US? What do you call it?

I love the differences in our vocabularies, Tommy points a lot of them out to me that I was completely unaware of :D

My first reaction was "what the hell is dogging?", then I saw you ask if we knew what it was lol. I can't say I've honestly ever heard of it but it doesn't sound like something good/ normal I can tell that much...

Edit: Ooh dirty. I just looked it up on urban dictionary. Can't say that's a big phenomenon here. Sure you've got a few pervs here and there but I've never witnessed it or heard of it being a big thing

^ Felix, I was tempted to bump that thread yesterday after the dogging discussion - found it a while back. Now you've brought it up again, I think I will :D

Reckless, haha :D it's a British institution, is dogging. One of those things we all take the piss out of but that does actually go on (so I am lead to believe :D).

How about swinging?

Aw, I was thinking a staff swingers club could be a fantastic thing.. ;)

So, NASASADD, is swinging something you guys have in the US? Or is it another thing we British perverts do that no one else does?

Note: I am not a swinger or a dogger, honest :D

Re: Swingers

Actual swingers aren't that common anymore, but I have heard of some swingers still existing. It exists to a lesser extent between groups of guys and girls that typically hang out and drink together. Like I had my group of 6 guy friends or so, and we usually hung out with a group of 6 girls or so, and over the 2 years or so that we hung out, we all pretty much hooked up with eachother, I mean the guys hooked u with the girls ;) so a couple of us had drunken sex with the same girl, just not at the same time. =D

Wait, the more I think of it I guess we were swingers. I mean we were a group of people that all partied and slept with eachother, so.... :?

^ Wow, I never thought about it that way. I know other groups of friends that had the same experience. We weren't guidos and didn't fight about it though. In fact, the one guido that we were kinda friends with never hooked up with any of the girl we hung out with.

Last edited:
Reckless, haha :D it's a British institution, is dogging. One of those things we all take the piss out of but that does actually go on (so I am lead to believe :D).

I dunno why it should be but dogging really is a uniquely British thing AFAICS. It just doesn't exist elsewhere in Europe by all accounts I've come across, even in those countries where swinging in general is more prevalent or mainstream in its visibility at least. I suspect it's maybe to do with the fact that the UK lagged behind other European countries a bit in that 10 years or so ago decent swinging clubs could be counted in the low tens, and swinging sites were nowhere near as developed in number or total membership. There's still a dedicated set of hardcore doggers out there, but in recent years the scene has been ruined to an extent by adverse publicity in the press and the over-exposure of once well-frequented haunts meaning lots of them have become a magnet for boy racers and idiots intent on making life hard for those who still venture out occasionally, not to mention regular patrols from police and security on private land known to be a dogging hotspot. It's become an exercise in futility in the handful of areas I've been out to over recent years because of that, swinging clubs I think now being the first port of call for a good many of those inclined towards the kind of voyeurism / exhibitionism that defined dogging, being available in most major cities at least and offering most of what you'd want with none of the hassle. Kinda sad though. Clubs are alright but nowhere near the erotic potential of dark forests beneath starry skies. :(

^ Wow, I never thought about it that way. I know other groups of friends that had the same experience. We weren't guidos and didn't fight about it though. In fact, the one guido that we were kinda friends with never hooked up with any of the girl we hung out with.

haha Im just bustin your stones man thats a pretty common thing for groups of friends in high school.

Back to the British singer accent topic, just for example I really really dig Alex Turner, I think that's his last name, from The Arctic Monkeys.

But my question is where exactly in the UK does that accent come from and could you maybe recommend any other artists with the same sounding accent? Cause I mean I don't think it's just a regular British accent because Thom Yorke is British riight? And he doesn't sound anything like Alex
Idk what it is that makes me like it so much though, I just do for some reason...

Here are few examples if you've never heard of em: Mardy Bum & Fluorescent Adolescent

Well he's from Sheffield Bill, in South Yorkshire, oop North. Very working class area, once massively industrial , predominantly a world-reknowned steel industry and associated industries like coal mining in that area in times gone by. You'd struggle to find other Sheffield artists quite as Yorkshire as he is though, Jarvis Cocker and Richard Hawley being the first two that spring to mind sounding nothing like. The nearest singer I can think of that's as clearly and easily identifiably of his place would be David Gedge of The Wedding Present, but he's from Leeds in West Yorkshire. Different Yorkshire altogether! ;) Couldn't be anything but Leeds, David Gedge. It might be an interesting experiment that actually, seeing how similar or distinct Leeds and Sheffield accents sound to an American. As someone brought up in Leeds the two are night and day. Try Brassneck as a decent example.

Robert Harvey of criminally underated Leeds band The Music would be another good example of a small-town West Yorkshire working class lad accent coming straight through undiluted in the music that's maybe in a similar vein to Alex Turner. Now sadly defunct without getting anything like the success or recognition they deserved for some cracking albums. The industry's eyes were I think too fixated west over the Pennines looking for a new Stone Roses / Happy Mondays type Manchester scene happening around Oasis that never quite materialised; bad timing for The Music despite them being just as authentically working class provincial but with way more musical intelligence than both Gallaghers put together.

Last edited:
^ Oh cool, thanks alot
That's exactly the stuff I was curious about and was interested in knowing and you explained it all perfectly

I'll definitely be checking out those recommended artists too by the way, thanks again mate :]