• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Georgia police toss grenade into crib during no-knock drug raid. Toddler in coma.

Bluelighter
ATLANTA — A family says a SWAT team raided their home in the middle of the night and seriously injured a 19-month-old boy with a stun grenade.

Alecia Phonesavanh told Channel 2’s Ryan Young her child is at the Grady Memorial Hospital burn unit, and is in a medically induced coma.

Phonesavanh said she was at her sister-in-law’s home in Habersham County early Wednesday when police raided the house.

"It's my baby. He's only a baby. He didn't deserve any of this," Phonesavanh said.

Phonesavanh told Young the grenade landed in the child’s crib; she showed him a photo of a charred portable crib.

"It landed in his playpen and exploded on his pillow right in his face," Phonesavanh said.

She also showed Young pictures of her child in the Grady burn unit. Channel 2 has decided not to share most of the photos because of the graphic nature of the child’s injuries.

"He's in the burn unit. We go up to see him and his whole face is ripped open. He has a big cut on his chest," Phonesavanh said. "He's only 19 months old. He didn't do anything."

Cornelia police Chief Rick Darby confirmed that the raid took place at the home just before 3 a.m. He said a multijurisdictional drug unit issued a warrant and organized the SWAT operation.

Deputies said they bought drugs from the house, and came back with a no-knock warrant to arrest a man known to have drugs and weapons.

“There was no clothes, no toys, nothing to indicate that there was children present in the home. If there had been then we'd have done something different,” Darby said.

"Everyone's sleeping. There's a loud bang and a bright light," Phonesavanh said. "The cops threw that grenade in the door without looking first, and it landed right in the playpen and exploded on his pillow right in his face."

They arrested Wanis Thometheva, 30, during the raid.

Darby told Channel 2's Wendy Corona that the entire unit is very broken up about the incident.

“You're trying to minimize anything that could go wrong and in this case the greatest thing went wrong,” Darby said. “Is it going to make us be more careful in the next one? Yes ma'am, it is. It's gonna make us double question.”

The Phonesavanh family told Young they have no insurance and have set up a fund to pay for medical expenses.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/toddler-critically-burned-during-swat-raid/nf9SJ/?GxbuEu

Fucking pigs. You wanna play special forces join the fucking army. But I guess it's not as fun when the other side is ready to return fire. I am sure the family will sue but it won't change shit.

Another day, another atrocity

That poor little kid.
No disrespect to stateside Bluelighters - but I'm so glad I don't live in the states when I read stories like this.

Poor kid :(

What these pigs did should have been illegal. I can understand if they're provoked into doing such a thing by someone in the residence, but it sounds like they were all asleep.

They probably could have tip-toed to the dealer's bed, shoved a few barrels in his face, and it would have sufficed, but no, let's throw a stun grenade in first, just in case the toddler is waiting with a couple of booby traps, provided by his mother.

Darby told Channel 2's Wendy Corona that the entire unit is very broken up about the incident

Who cares.. they aren't as shook up as the two year old.. cops can be some of the biggest idiots I have ever met sometimes.

EDIT: save the children, such heros.

Last edited:
This is an extremely sad story. Even if the kid survives and avoids brain, vision, auditory and pharyngeal damage, he may be permanently disfigured. I include the picture here in hopes that it'll spark action:

NSFW:
baby3.jpg

"The problem with calling this thing a war is that people start acting like it is. The area isn't an area that is being policed. It's occupied territory. The people that we're supposed to protect are looked at as the enemy."

I'm confused. There was nothing to indicate a child was in the residence, yet they threw a grenade into a child's playpen. Did they not even look before they threw the grenade? It's pretty easy not to see something if you don't look for it.
That picture is horrifying, I hope it eats at the conscience of the men and women involved until they die, but given the field of work of these people, I doubt they have any conscience left.

I think one of the officers probably said "a hundred bucks if you can get it in the crib".

Well kid is disfigured for life at best. Gruesome stuff

Wow, I'm seeing comments on news sites where people are saying that the parents are to blame for bringing the child into an environment where drugs were present. The US government has effectively eliminated logic and critical thinking in a good chunk of the population through constantly saturating its citizens with propaganda.
What it boils down to is this: the baby was doing just fine under the care of his family until the police decided it was time to impose themselves in their lives. They effectively destroyed this child over an ineffective pursuit in the war on drugs, which is really a war on citizens. I guarantee the people blaming the family would quickly change their tone if this were to occur in cases involving their beloved alcohol or tobacco, which are both highly addicting drugs. But no, divide and conquer is the goal of the government, and these people are influenced to believe that they are separate or different from illegal drug users thanks to the propaganda of government.

Fucking pigs. You wanna play special forces join the fucking army.

Most american cops aren't smart or brave enough to join the army.

I'm pretty sure something very similar to this happened in my area a few years or so back but; it was a 7 year old girl if I remember correctly.

I also once read a story about this old man who had terminal cancer and went to his shed to commit suicide with his shotgun. His concerned wife called 911 to get help and the fine upstanding offers that showed did their best to save the guy by flashing banging the shed killing him in the process.

Fucking pigs. You wanna play special forces join the fucking army. But I guess it's not as fun when the other side is ready to return fire. I am sure the family will sue but it won't change shit.

This is undoubtedly sad and it's I don't like the idea of no knock warrants in the first place. These are standard SWAT tactics for making entry, no one intentionally threw a flash bang at the kid. How about putting some blame on the parents for letting their kid live in a trap house? The War on Drugs is admittedly a clusterfuck and needs to be turned around, but anyone slanging dope out of the house a child is staying in undoubtedly partly to blame as well.

I think one of the officers probably said "a hundred bucks if you can get it in the crib".

I dislike cops and their aggressive tactics as much as the next guy, shit, probably more so than the next guy. With that being said, your comment is cynical hyperbolic bullshit.

Indeed. Most of them are too pussy to actually have fire returned at them. But seizing assets and buying military grade weapons and acting like fuckimg delta force...well that's just great. I hope they get sued...no knock warrents should be made illegal. I mean what did those ducking pigs expect to find? Kilos of heroin and millions of dollars? This wod gets more ludicrous by the day.

This is undoubtedly sad and it's I don't like the idea of no knock warrants in the first place. These are standard SWAT tactics for making entry, no one intentionally threw a flash bang at the kid. How about putting some blame on the parents for letting their kid live in a trap house? The War on Drugs is admittedly a clusterfuck and needs to be turned around, but anyone slanging dope out of the house a child is staying in undoubtedly partly to blame as well.
I absolutely disagree. Can drug users and dealers not be parents anymore? Do you support sterilizing unconsenting drug addicts? The cops did this, not the parents. Don't try to kid yourself.

I absolutely disagree. Can drug users and dealers not be parents anymore? Do you support sterilizing unconsenting drug addicts? The cops did this, not the parents. Don't try to kid yourself.

> Can drug users and dealers not be parents anymore?

Of course they can. But if they choose to perform their trade out of their house they are shitty parents. Drugs are illegal whether we like it or not. Don't shit where you eat. This is some drug dealing 101 type shit right here, if you sell drugs to an undercover multiple times out of your house and get raided you can *not* put the blame solely on the police. It is hardly a secret that trap houses gets raided and this took place in an HIDTA. Raids are to be expected, which is why you don't sell dope where your kids stay at. Disagree all you like, we all have opinions.

> Do you support sterilizing unconsenting drug addicts?

I neither said nor implied this. The answer is obviously no.

> The cops did this, not the parents.

While the cops may have performed the raid it was in *direct response* to criminal activity from inside the house. You are the one kidding yourself if you think the blame lies solely with either party. The adults in the household are hardly innocent bystanders. While we might not think of their activities as criminal the law does, and they know that. The cops fucked up sure, but if they weren't moving dope out the house the raid would have never happened at all. This is a direct example of cause and effect.

This is a direct example of cause and effect.
The cause being a system that has been proven to be a failure and those who comply with it, and the effect being babies getting their faces blown up by grenades. It's better to offer these people help through education, treatment options (like ibogaine, another illegal drug) and social support rather than kicking their door in and throwing grenades blindly.
I apologize for the dickish tone of my previous post, but I think it's wrong for anybody to justify this type of action by boiling it down to 'Too bad, they were suspected of selling drugs'.

Wow, I'm seeing comments on news sites where people are saying that the parents are to blame for bringing the child into an environment where drugs were present. The US government has effectively eliminated logic and critical thinking in a good chunk of the population through constantly saturating its citizens with propaganda.
What it boils down to is this: the baby was doing just fine under the care of his family until the police decided it was time to impose themselves in their lives. They effectively destroyed this child over an ineffective pursuit in the war on drugs, which is really a war on citizens. I guarantee the people blaming the family would quickly change their tone if this were to occur in cases involving their beloved alcohol or tobacco, which are both highly addicting drugs. But no, divide and conquer is the goal of the government, and these people are influenced to believe that they are separate or different from illegal drug users thanks to the propaganda of government.

really? are you a social worker now? There were no signs of child activity because these people probably didnt take care of their child. Obviously they were, in fact, selling drugs out of the house.

You cant defend what the outcome was, but it was more a freak accident than anything intentional. Maybe they shouldnt use stun grenades period, I dont see why you cant just smash the door in and say hands up

The child was simply spending the night at the house with his mother from the news story I read. Simply wrong place wrong time kinda deal. No indication the kids parents knew anything about the drug activity.