• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

gay marriages (merged)

but ppl have to start somewhere. a small voice must be heard first before a large voice is ready to speak. i believe in time (i dont know how much time) that gay marriages will be going on everywhere in the US.

I honestly don't see why people get so uptight about this issue. If churches want to say "We won't perform gay marriages in our church," that's their business, but to try and LEGISLATE their beliefs (and I'm not trying to single out Christian churches -- there are folks of every religion who believe this) is not cool. And no, I don't believe supporters of gay marriage are "a small minority." A minority, yes, but not a small minority. Really, though, how the hell is the average person going to be affected by the fact that two guys can get married if they want to? As this forum and countless others across the Internets indicate, relationships straight or gay are never trouble-free, so the fact that people are so up-in-arms about something like this is just bizarre. ~rant rant rant~

It's very simple. If two people love each other, it's no one else's damn business. Love is love and I'm happy for anyone that finds it.

Imagine, being told you couldn't marry the person you love more than life itself because some people don't like it. The whole thing is so fucking stupid and it pisses me off to no end. Who the hell gave people the right to decide who should be able to marry????? If it ain't your marriage, why should one give a fuck?

Originally posted by Christian Soldier
Marriage is only between a man and a women last time I checked.

right. that's the current definition. that doesn't mean it's set in stone and can't be changed.

if your argument is "because that's how it's always been", a brief glance at history shows why that approach won't stop things changing.

alasdair

marriage hasn't always been between a man and a woman. it hasn't always been encouraged by the church, conducted in the church, endorsed by the church, or practised by the church.

in fact, in early medieval Christian thought, marriage was something that ordinary people should be actively discouraged from doing. i also draw people's attention to the fact that polygamy was common amongst the clergy in the eleventh century...

Edumicate

I've had a same sex partner for 9 years now.

Here's my thoughts on it. I don't give a fuk about marriage... in so far as it's been traditionalized in the straight community. Not that I bare any ill wishes to my MANY friends and family who get married. Really. But, the traditions surrounding it, the music and walking down the ailse, the dress and tux, the cutting cake, the preist, throwing the bouquet, giving of gifts... I hate all that stuff... for me. I will never have a wedding like straight people do. That's ya'lls thing. And... while I'm happy to attend straight weddings (because I do love these people) there's always a bit of angst because we always buy gifts for them and know that we'll never get giftss, nor would want them.

What I do want is ALL the same 1138 legal entitlements that come with marriage. Visitation rights, medical decision rights, inheritance rights, getting the same portion of my spouses retirement benefits that a straight widower would, same tax code (as married people without kids, if ya have kids u deserve a bigger break). Right now, my partner is on my health plan. Very cool of my employer. However, the federal government taxes that benefit (about $1000 a year) and they don't tax the benefits of a straight couple.

Christian Soldier said:
Marriage is only between a man and a women last time I checked.

You obviously haven't been reading the bible as much as you should. There are very few references in the bible to marriage being between a man and a woman. There is an ABUNDANCE of references to marriage being between a man and as many women as he can support. Go ahead, do a biblical search with software, or by eye. You'll see the instances of polygomy outweigh instances of monogomy by a very large amount. I know my shit when it comes to the bible. I earned a 3 year masters degree in Christian Theology.

Christian Soldier said:
You got your definitions mixed up man. Marriage is only between a man and a women last time I checked.

Thats silly. Says who? The people who want to keep it that way?
So what if in 100 years marriage does not mean NECCESSARILY between a man and a woman?

THATS A GOOD THING!

Marriage should be between people who love each other, and honestly, I dont even care if it's polygamous or incestial (as long as the incest people can't have children). Let people do what they want. I will never understand why people are against this.

Christian Soldier said:
You got your definitions mixed up man. Marriage is only between a man and a women last time I checked.

you are mistaken. i have already posted ample references in this thread. please read them.

This is just stupid to argue about. I don't care how much you've beenbrainwashed. I don't care how much you loveall people. I like gay people, I have no problem with them I have gay friends and all that etc.

You just can't make something be totally different. A marriage between twopeople of thesame sex will never be marriage. It just won't. it can't.

Just because I *want* or wish that this blue pen would be a red pen, doesn't mean that I will get my way. You can't just change the defintions of everything. I can't wish my cat was a dog and have it happen.

Marriage can't be between two men or two women, because it wouldn't be amarriage. They should behappy that they can live together. They will never have a real family, they will never ever be able to have kids. Familys and mariages aren't about creating a one generation unit.

Gay people will live and then die and there goes that family. Where is ancestry?

It seems like they only want to be married because they can't. And yeah, marriage is religous. The entire concept of gay marriage will rise and fall when religion comes into play.

It isn't marriage, it never will be marriage.So what difference does it make if they can have the freedom to live together?

Marriage means Mr. and Mrs, creating a family, and a little bit of religion.

Now that almost everyone has created a mockery out of something that I as well as many others hold very dear, please reconsider your illogical views.

happybunny said:
Gay people will live and then die and there goes that family. Where is ancestry?

Not all married couples have kids. Should they be barred from marriage for lack of procreation?

Gay people have kids. Surprise! Either through adoption, artificial insemination, or a former hetero relationship.

Gay people have family. I have a mom, a dad, a sister, grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins. Also, I'm the best uncle a neice can have. My neices adore me and I them. And... after my partner they are in my will to inherit my wealth.

Educate.

Personally, I don't think that gay marriages should be legalized. It's a personal opinion. It will probably never change. To me, it streches the boundaries of acceptable families too far out. Most of you will argue with me and tell me that I am closed minded, etc. etc. but it won't change my mind. I will never vote for someone who wants to legalize gay marriages and I will never support any politician or judge who wants to legalize this.

However, I do think that gay partners should be protected under the same insurance and should be allowed to collect upon their partner's life insurance etc. But, allowing gay people into the institution of marriage demoralizes it. (I mean no one any offense, I promise)

You know who will make out on the legalization of gay marriage: divorce attorneys. (especially male to male marriages--last time I researched this I found statistics to show that out of all of the combination of partners...duration of male and male relationships are the shortest)

We deserve all the same 1138 legal entitlements that any other long term couple is entitled to. As I have said, I don't care to participate in the straight community's notion of marriage. Call it a civil union if you like. But, it must be Equal. This is about civil rights, not your cultural understanding. We are all citizens of this country. There can be no second class citizenship in America. Don't want gay marriage? Then don't get married to someone of the same sex.

OldSkool78 said:
It's very simple. If two people love each other, it's no one else's damn business. Love is love and I'm happy for anyone that finds it.

I couldnt have said it better :D

One of my best mates is gay. He suprised me one day by saying that he does'nt believe in gay marriages, he believes they are only for a man and woman. But he has made a commitment with his partner and they have exchanged rings.

you know, here in america, human beings are all governed by the same constitution. to give one set of people a right that is not allowed to another set is against the american way, and is not what our founding fathers intended with the formation of such a progressive legal system.
and, that said, we need to focus on preserving the institution of marriage (think... 50%+ divorce rates?!?!) that we have now before worrying about and fretting over what more loving couples will do to it. it's a basic human rights issue that is just dripping in common sense. i'm just waiting for everyone to realize that. :\

syymphonatic said:
we need to focus on preserving the institution of marriage (think... 50%+ divorce rates?!?!)

A friend of mine had an interesting proposal that I liked a lot. Simply put, you get one and only one marriage. You can divorce. No prob. But, you can't re-marry. You'd just have to co-habitat after that. Interesting thought.

I'm all for the gay marrige issue. The world we live in is changing more and more everyday. I say why discriminate against one person/group if they choose to love another person in a different way. I'm not really a big fan of marriage, as long as you love each other who really cares. What will a little piece of paper saying that you are legally bound together going to do for you? not alot really, at least in my eyes.

My friends brother is gay and is in a committed relationship BUT they have strong feelings for each other and he is scottish...so he has already used his work visa and is only allowed for holidays in this country...

this is so wrong!

Why are people in same sex relationships NOT recognized?

Last edited: