• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

"gateway" drug

Its not the cannabis that is the gateway, its the way society places it in the same category as harder substances.

People smoke pot and realize its not as evil as society makes it out to be, then they figure perhaps weed is not the only casualty of flawed perspective. At some point their illegal source gets busted, or dries up, or just offers them a chance to try something new, so they decide to try something else thinking from past experience that its probably not as bad as society makes it out to be.

Weed isn't a Gateway drug
If you are predisposed to using hard drugs you were gonna do it anyway.
The only reason you started with weed was cuz it is the Most COMMON Illicit drug out there

tobacco and alchool then everything else for me. Now rcs are quite hard drugs in my opinion and they require a lot of study before and after.

personally, i started out with weed beacuse i was curious. i was curious to know what it was like to be high. well i tried and i liked it. at the very first i thought other drugs were dangerous and that weed was harmless etcheccth but then i started lurking bl, drugs forjm erowid and such and learned that other drugs were't as bad as soxiety pictured them, so i became curios to try them.
so yeah weedn opened the way for "hard drugs" but if i started lurking these sites before trying weed i woukd've prolly tried them anyway

don't know if thia post makes sense....

"The only thing that Marijuana is a gateway to is the refrigerator."

I forget who said that but I feel it applies.

For most it's not a gateway drug. Over 50% of adults in the US have tried it at least once. But less than 1% have used heroin and less than 3-5% used meth at least once. Maybe for a slight minority weed is a 'gateway', but for most people it's just a temporary novelty they experiment with for a short time.

My guess would be that heroin would be a pretty strong gateway drug because lets face it, if you repeatedly shoot up and don't care about the repercussions then why would you really give a shit about trying just about any other drug hahah?? (Well, maybe short of a few things like Krokodil, Datura, etc).

Once you've gone that far you'd probably go back and try every other drug you were ever the least bit curious about figuring you don't really care about what happens to your body from then on.

My guess would be that heroin would be a pretty strong gateway drug because lets face it, if you repeatedly shoot up and don't care about the repercussions then why would you really give a shit about trying just about any other drug hahah?? (Well, maybe short of a few things like Krokodil, Datura, etc).

Once you've gone that far you'd probably go back and try every other drug you were ever the least bit curious about figuring you don't really care about what happens to your body from then on.
The gateway theory is that "soft" drug use is an independent risk factor to using "hard" drugs.

Your theory is that the personality of a hard drug user predicts they will use softer drugs.

That is the opposite of, and parallel to one argument against, gateway theory.

Weed isn't a Gateway drug
If you are predisposed to using hard drugs you were gonna do it anyway.
The only reason you started with weed was cuz it is the Most COMMON Illicit drug out there

Who the fuk are u to say weed isn't a gateway drug. Sure it is, and btw experiences are relative. But honestly weed is what led me into other drugs like psy's, opiates, benzos, and stim's. Weed was indeed the gateway, and I am grateful that it opened a gateway into higher realms of getting high =D

Fukin one sided opinion style comment u make...

For most it's not a gateway drug. Over 50% of adults in the US have tried it at least once. But less than 1% have used heroin and less than 3-5% used meth at least once. Maybe for a slight minority weed is a 'gateway', but for most people it's just a temporary novelty they experiment with for a short time.
That does not tell us the reason why people tried those drugs. Perhaps a smaller percent of regular marijuana users move on to try heroin and meth.

i was sippin robitussin and snorting ADD drugs before i smoked weed so i have no opinion on the matter.

that said i think weed could serve as a gateway drug in various ways:

if an individual has a weed habit, gets the anxiety/paranoia thing, but continues wanting to get high, they might turn to other shit.
also weed tends to put people around other drugs from time to time, which could lead to experimenting.

that said the gateway drug thing is at is essence a bunch of bullshit considering that, in my opinion, alcohol is the ultimate gateway drug and it's legal and doesn't get hit with the propaganda.

alcohol is the ultimate gateway drug and it's legal and doesn't get hit with the propaganda.
Realize that every time you say something like this that it is itself propaganda and that there is plenty of anti-alcohol propaganda.

Ever heard of any problems stemming from alcohol use?

The gateway theory is that "soft" drug use is an independent risk factor to using "hard" drugs.

Your theory is that the personality of a hard drug user predicts they will use softer drugs.

That is the opposite of, and parallel to one argument against, gateway theory.

I know, I'm aware of the basic idea and was kind of making fun of it, but in a way I think you could probably see what I am saying.

I mean, the concern seems to be, that if a person takes one drug it will "lead" to them taking another.

I don't think it should really matter if it's a harder drug "leading" to a softer one, it honestly IS kind of messed up to think that anytime you tried a drug it might be likely to "lead" to ANYTHING else.

If I am considering trying something, I do not want to have to predict how many other drugs it may lead me to try and whether they interact with anything else I take, etc.

I remember reading and watching the Basketball Diaries when I was a teenager and Jim Carroll supposedly said that he really did try Heroin because he thought it was the "weak drug" and thought Marijuanna was the one he should avoid.

So in his case, if he tried heroin and lived through it, at that point he'd probably not be afraid to go back and try everything else less dangerous right?

If ANY drug is likely to lead to any other, it would be a "gateway" but really, it's all bullshit.

But honestly, I will 100% agree with everyone who says alcohol is their "gateway drug".

When I drink I want to do EVERYTHING I'm telling myself I shouldnt' be doing whether it's weed or coke or just acting irresponsible.

Those substances which decrease inhibitions are the ones where any argument can actually be made to them influencing using anything else while under the influence.

Weed on the other hand, hell, if I get high in my house it's hard to "influence" me to get up off my couch haha.

Assuming that heroin was a bad experience, "living through it" does not sound fun, I would imagine that would lead a person away from trying other illegal drugs.

We should call it the Theory of Learning.

I hate when people say pot is a gateway drug. I really don't think it is, it's a drug just like so many others including caffeine, alcohol, vicodin, nicotine, etc... just the fact it's pretty great (gets you high/stoned when smoked) and a natural herb, but nonetheless still a drug, but what makes it a "gateway" drug? Who knows, propaganda sounds like it though.

Personally, from what I've seen growing up and among friends, peers and siblings, alcohol or caffeine was always the first drug I've seen others experience before pot. It seems people tend to forget that alcohol is indeed a drug, I've even gotten into arguments with people about it before...

My "gateway" drug was Hydrocodone. I had about 30 or so prescribed for when I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was just barely breaking into my teenage years. It wasn't long until I took more than prescribed and experienced my first high. It was only after that I became curious about other drugs like pot for example. I also didn't take long to do every single different drug I could get my hands on and experience them all.

Weed is absolutely, positively, undoubtedly a gateway drug. It's slathered with innocence, and while I'm a definite advocate of it's safety profile, I certainly never even considered learning more about, let alone TRYING any drug of any kind before it. Once I found GOOD cannabis, it opened my eyes to what a 'high' was, and inevitably peaked my curiosity. Alcohol didn't even do this for me, but then again I grew up with alcohol as a staple in my very Irish life, so YMMV.

When I found out in D.A.R.E that all the whipped cream gas that i was inhaling for several years was actually a "Drug". Thats when i decided to try pot, why not right? Im already a drug addict.

That whole "Gateway" effect is not because of the substance, but because of society's classification of it.

yeaaaah sorry not a gateway drug for me. Been smoking for 10 years now and never tried anything else (besides alcohol).