• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

"gateway" drug

missescap

Greenlighter
You know everyone says cannabis is a gateway drug but I'm a firm believe that it's not.

I've recently been put on to probation (6 mos.), getting off in April so I'm almost done.
Clearly I cannot smoke and must I say I was quite the stoner.
8)

During this time I have done more drugs then I did before to catch a high.
I experienced with things that would clear out of my system so that I would be clean for a piss test.

If I had never been put on, I honestly don't think I would've done such things.
I was perfectly content with smoking my pot.

I mean, when I get off, I'll still do the things I experienced with, but basically...
Has anyone else felt this too?

Weed is absolutely, positively, undoubtedly a gateway drug. It's slathered with innocence, and while I'm a definite advocate of it's safety profile, I certainly never even considered learning more about, let alone TRYING any drug of any kind before it. Once I found GOOD cannabis, it opened my eyes to what a 'high' was, and inevitably peaked my curiosity. Alcohol didn't even do this for me, but then again I grew up with alcohol as a staple in my very Irish life, so YMMV.

That does make some sense. Alcohol doesn't broaden your horizons like that but I was doing benzos before I started smoking. I think I did things in reverse.

The whole concept of "gateway drug" in general is stupid.

Basically, it's just the idea that trying one thing may influence someone to try other things which are similar to it, but perhaps more extreme in nature to some degree.

It's like saying watching a PG-13 movie is a "gateway" to watching an R rated movie or that listening to hard rock is a gateway to getting into Heavy Metal.

It's also like saying that liking wine coolers could be a "gateway" to drinking good wine, or liking a crappy stake at Outbacks could be a "gateway" to trying to find and try a really good cut of stake.

In the same way, weed is a "gateway" because it is the softest drug in general, and many people will therefore try it first and become interested in trying other drugs.

But I am sure that MANY people tried alcohol before they smoked pot, so for them alcohol was the "gateway drug" yet we ignore their cases as if they were unique. Same can be said for if someone ends up trying LSD or Mushrooms first which I am sure was true for some people.

I will agree that I did happen to be one person who tried weed before most other drugs, but I did discover how much I LOVED being buzzed on coffee before weed, so was coffee the gateway drug for me?

Caffeine IS a mind altering substance no matter what anyone says.

No drug is a "gateway" to other drugs because this concept discounts human free will as a factor.

No drug simply "LEADS" to use of any other drug and anyone who would claim such is being quite narrow minded.

Also, weed can be a gateway to things that aren't just drugs which can be great.

For me, smoking also got me interested in meditation and other non-drug related forms of consciousness exploration and it got me into a WHOLE lot of great music and art I'd never have been into before.

The idea that weed is a "gateway drug" is just propaganda from the failed drug war propagated by Regan.

It's as worn out a term as "Just Say No".

Is it OFTEN the case that people who try weed later go on to experiment with harder substances rather than the other way around?

Yes, it is OFTEN true, but not in any "sinister" or reprehensible way, and in no way different from how getting interested in drawing might lead to one getting interested in painting then sculpting, or how getting interested in archery might lead to interest in shooting guns and then joining the army and getting into military history.

It's all bullshit.

Also, in many ways weed and psychedelics DO open people's minds.

Point in case that so many people I know who demonize weed but love to drink tend to be very conservative and traditionally minded and many people I know who smoke weed tend to be more creative and liberal.

Of course that's anecdotal evidence, but I think that usage of even mild psychedelics like weed open's many people's minds to possibilities like looking into different forms of art, music and consciousness expansion and looking at social issues with more compassion which they would not have otherwise.

Correlation does not equal causation.

People want to look at all the situations where others smoked weed and later went on to use harder drugs, but ignore all the circumstances where people did other drugs first, either alcohol or something else, and also ignore all the situations where pot smokers never tried anything else.

If you ignore all arguments that contradict your statement then you inevitably win the argument...

Last edited:
if there is such thing as a 'gateway' drug, whatever the fuck that is suppose to mean, it is alcohol.

i agree 100% with the dude above. people say yeah most people who do 'hard' drugs 'started' with weed, and while i believe that it's true (at least as far as i know, its not that common people startin with crack or LSD), in fact weed wasn't their first drug, it was alcohol, you know... most of the times at least..

but that doesn't mean that doin weed/alcohol will lead you to doin harder drugs, i just think some people are more open to doin drugs, and as weed/alcohol are the most common ones, they are usually the ones they start with. i mean, i speak for myself, i always had a curiosity for drugs and getting high since i was a kid. when i was 15 i started drinkin and smokin weed. one day i went to score some weed and the dude offered me coke, so i was 'why not?' and that was the first time i did coke. but i always been trying to get high off of anything i could find... benzos (not anymore), ritalin, pain pills.. so yeah, i don't think weed made me do other drugs, i just like altered states of mind haha

i'm young and dont know much... that's just what i think...

Last edited:
Alcohol and ecstasy and weed were the gateway drugs at my school, in that order. I mean I first drank at 9 then at like 12 then I got high at like 14. Kids who werent into weed were thizzin (rave scene was full force) and drinkin at 14 or 15 easily at my school. Me and my buddies polished off our first 5th at like 13 and all kinds of kids used to go over to that house.

Also pills like a motherfker in high school. Vicodin, Norco, Oxy, etc. To say that weed is a gaeway drug could be true in some circumstances but to say that it is "thee" gateway drug or even the most common gateway drug would be erroneous. Shit I remember when *I* couldnt find weed at dry season in high school and I was a stoner in a school of 3000 in California. All those kids in the sticks and flyover states with plenty of pharmacies and liquor stores but whisperings of "good chronic" are nothing but wishful thinking...

Not only have I seen OPs story countless times in real life. I lost my best friend growing up to an all consuming meth habit that started when his mom sent him to rehab for weed, the only thing we ever messed with regularly back then. Some other kid had brough some meth into rehab and my buddy took a liking apparently. Every time we hustled up money it was the weed spot AND the sketchy crys spot now. Really where I was introduced to the underworld and seen my first shady ghetto shit like cheap hot guns, needles laying in the grass next to the sidewalk, tossed bloody knives, tweaker pads full of gangsters, getting ripped off, broads with serious STDs, etc... After long enough of being around that stuff, its no wonder I went on to do most every street drug in the book, as well as all kinds of scandalous and illegal things I would have never done if weed was the only drug in my picture.

Last edited:
Alcohol and ecstasy and weed were the gateway drugs at my school, in that order.

dang you kids hit it early, at my school id have to say it was sugar, namely red cordial, fizzy drinks, and fruit juices. kids would hit the cordial and be running around like an 'adult' after a blast of crystal..

obesity and diet related illness is a larger (certainly at least on par) global issue in terms of health and cost than the bullshit 'war on drugs'.

I think it depends on your definition of "gateway". Between that and underage drinking, how is pot "the gateway drug". The gateway to doing an illegal substance? I bet more kids have tried alcohol, than pot. My gateway drug is alcohol, if I'm drunk and hard drugs are available, I can't say no. Yet if I'm stoned, I feel no need to take it farther. Alcohol played a huge role in my crack addiction, I got to where I stopped drinking because drunk wasn't good enough, drunk was only good if chased with cocaine.

i think energy drinks are becoming gateways to stimulant abuse, especially for children.

"My gateway drug is alcohol, if I'm drunk and hard drugs are available, I can't say no."

I agree with this completely, inhibitions are lowered when under the influence of alcohol and I must say I have done a lot more stupid things after a night of drinking than anything else.

The original gateway theory doesn't even show up on an over-the-top anti-drug site. Pretty sure it's dead. They just discuss marijuana as one of several "gateway drugs" which all seem like a safe bet for a users first drug.
"The vast majority of cocaine users (99.9%) began by first using a “gateway drug” like marijuana, cigarettes or alcohol. Of course, not everyone who smokes marijuana and hashish goes on to use harder drugs. Some never do. Others quit using marijuana altogether. But some do turn to harder drugs. One study found that youth (12 to 17 years old) who use marijuana are 85 times more likely to use cocaine than kids who do not use pot, and that 60% of the kids who smoke pot before the age of 15 move on to cocaine." 2006-2014
http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/marijuana/on-the-road-to-drug-abuses.html

"The Yale study, which appears online in the Journal of Adolescent Health, showed that alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana were associated with an increased likelihood of prescription drug abuse in men 18 to 25. In women of that age, only marijuana use was linked with a higher likelihood of prescription drug abuse." 2013
Already being called propaganda before a news article is even written on it, 2 months after being published 1/2 the article is devoted to two opposing views, dismissing it because they have opinions and are thus given equal ground to speak.
http://articles.courant.com/2012-08...ption-drugs-prescription-opioids-gateway-drug

"St. Pierre further speculated that among the minority of marijuana smokers who do graduate to harder substances, it's pot prohibition rather than the use of marijuana itself that often serves as a doorway to the world of hard drugs." 2002
It sounds like St. Pierre needs to get his shit together and do a study instead of speculating.
http://norml.org/news/2002/12/03/ma...ts-regarding-the-legitimacy-of-us-drug-policy

"Additionally, this argument implies that legalizing marijuana use would cause an increase in crime. It is in fact the opposite – in California in 2010, the year when the state decriminalized marijuana possession, there was a 'drastic 20% decrease in juvenile crime – bringing the underage crime rate to the lowest level since the state started keeping records in 1954.' The Center for Juvenile and Criminal Justice who did the statistical analysis, found that while all juvenile crimes experienced a significant decrease, 'the vast majority of the drop resulted from far fewer arrests from marijuana possession' which accounted for 64% of the previous year’s arrests. While Duke may argue this drop could be a coincidence, the study’s researchers state that 'the only two factors definitively associated with the dramatic decline in youth arrests are the relaxing of marijuana possession laws and improvement in economic well-being among young people in the state’s poorest neighborhoods.' So at the very least, this serves to debunk the idea that marijuana use causes crime." 2014
If something like this was used by the anti-legalize side of course it would be dismissed as, oh my gosh, propaganda! This is just stupid strawman crapola, saying what Duke might argue. What does the study even imply about the causal link between crime and marijuana? Idiotic.
http://decriminalizeit.wordpress.co...on-lack-of-reasons-to-keep-marijuana-illegal/

"CA law enforcement allowing gateway drug, says anti-marijuana activist" 2014
Notice that is singular! Its like they've got nothing to bitch about and the whole pro-drug movement still needs something to whine about. So they find one guy who still is willing to speak on his own mind.
http://www.onenewsnow.com/culture/2...rug-says-anti-marijuana-activist#.UyEqPPkRq5k
RECANTED: Well on second look this appears to be an actual news article, nobody is really bitching about anything.
"California cities and police, which were once opposed to the legalization of marijuana, are now supporting it.

The League of California Cities and the California Police Chiefs Association announced they are dropping their policy of opposition to laws restricting marijuana business in the state.

"Whether the public wants to admit it or not, today's pot is a gateway drug," says James Lambert of MarijuanaHarmsFamilies.com. "I know it firsthand. I've seen it destroy the lives of many people that I know. It changes them forever."

Officials said they are supporting a bill that would provide licenses to marijuana growers and dispensaries.

The bill would also place new limitations on doctors that recommend marijuana to patients.

The two groups opposed legislation that would have allowed the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control the ability to regulate marijuana stores, warehouses and labs. The two organizations say that while they still oppose marijuana use, in the future, statewide regulation of pot is a possibility."
GOLDEN STAR AWARD

And ya... these are my random searches in the last hour just to give you a feel. I am sure you can find exceptions but this is what I found while out phishing. It is not my fault that this pops up on a google search. I didn't write it and I just click it and start reading until I run into this kind of crap, which for some reason is the first thing I see. Guess I know where to start reading. /internet is dumb (kind of)

OK. Now time for the big boys, the PDFs. I am giving this a second chance, just to be (un)fair I because I honestly thought this might have a provoking argument. I was scared. Well... I gave it an honest effort guys, I don't know what to say.
"For many years, opponents of marijuana policy reform have claimed that while marijuana itself
may not be as dangerous as so-called 'hard drugs' like cocaine or heroin, it is a gateway drug
that leads users down a path toward use of those more dangerous substances. This, despite the
fact over 107 million Americans — more than 40% of the U.S. population born since 1960 —
have tried marijuana, yet only 37 million have tried cocaine, only four million have ever tried
heroin, and less than one-tenth of one percent of Americans used either in the last month.
Fortunately, science has weighed in, and nearly every researcher who has ever looked into the
question has determined that marijuana use is not a causal factor in the subsequent use of more
dangerous drugs. Rather, marijuana is simply the first (or more likely, third, after alcohol and
cigarettes) in a normal progression to more dangerous substances among those predisposed to
use such drugs.
In fact, some researchers believe that it is marijuana’s illegal status that is the real gateway.
Because marijuana is illegal, those who seek to buy it must obtain it from criminal drug dealers
who often maintain an inventory of other drugs and have an incentive to expand their market to
new users. This exposure to the illicit market — and peer groups that are willing to engage in
drug use — can lead individuals to use of more dangerous drugs. Researchers also identified
socio-economic factors like employment and educational attainment influence the likelihood of
substance abuse. Marijuana’s illegal status means that an arrest for marijuana possession, and the
collateral educational and employment consequences that come with it, could lead to later
substance use."
This is like a game of spot the fallacy. Damn. Most researchers agree? Well whoopty-do. Some researchers believe? Jesus christ on a pogo-stick.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...a5_QmRRIb-WEP8ihQ&sig2=iM8xOK_SAMJ8TQ8lN1LUEA

For those with clearly nothing but time on their hands. I did dig this up as well.

Mind you, these are mostly all from the same search 'marijuana gateway'. Feel free to check that. It is not like I moved the boat around looking for certain material to make a point.

Looks "legit".
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6I8WqQc77NQumkxrQ&sig2=0mVH1H2mgDOSVJeVD2dXjg
This looks good, but I'm tired (that's right I have to declare sleep these days) so I'll give it a more serious look. It looks like it has some decent info to it.
(Sorry for piggie-backing your discussion with this elephant post, just felt like sharing) !!! :)

Last edited:
If there were some other illegal inebriant used as commonly as cannabis, particularly one as innocuous, it would 'function' as 'the gateway drug'.

ebola

People spout off about this all the time. It can be, and the illegality makes it more so of a gateway drug, but maybe no more than alcohol and tobacco.

The primary gateway drugs are nicotine and caffeine. Many who started using these were not even aware at the time that nicotine (cigarettes etc.) and caffeine (coffee etc.) are drugs.

If it hasn't been posted I found that the illegality of buying weed through a dealer a decade ago (where weed views weren't as liberal) to be the gateway into buying more illegal drugs.

It was not weed itself, it was the process of procuring it, having to keep it a secret from parents and failing drug tests in high school (solely weed) to be the gateway into harder drugs.

If it hasn't been posted I found that the illegality of buying weed through a dealer a decade ago (where weed views weren't as liberal) to be the gateway into buying more illegal drugs.

It was not weed itself, it was the process of procuring it, having to keep it a secret from parents and failing drug tests in high school (solely weed) to be the gateway into harder drugs.

I agree completely.

If weed took the place of alcohol and their were weed bars everywhere and it was acceptable to smoke a bowl in a restaurant with dinner but alcohol was illegal and required going to a dealer it would be the same thing.

People would go to dealers looking to by alcohol and sooner or later their dealer might offer them another harder drug which they might take interest in.

It's a social issue largely related to curiosity about illicit substances.

Legalize it and the "problem" isn't going to be so prevalent.

Kind of like how they say that in Italy kids are allowed a glass of wine with dinner and there doesn't tend to be many alcoholics but in Ireland the adults strictly forbid their kids to try alcohol and their are tons of alcoholics.

Alcohol was my gateway drug; I figured hey, if drinking is this fun, I bet weed would be fun since I know people who do it often. Then I figured, hey, since weed is so fun, I bet LSD would be super fun. Then I just started doing drugs of every color hahah....

The study by Shukla included a review of gateway theory.

51 former or current marijuana users were interviewed.

Although the order varied, here is their mean age of initiation by drug: alcohol (13.6), tobacco (13.80), marijuana (15.2), inhalants (16.1), misused prescription drug (18.1), hallucinogens (18.4), others like cocaine and heroin (19.7).

80% used legal (alcohol or tobacco) before any illegal drugs and 70% used marijuana before moving on to other illegal drugs, otherwise marijuana was the second illicit drug used in all but 1.

98% of the participants tried other illicit drugs.

From what I gather, and based on personal experience, certain people are open to illicit activity (crossing the legal barrier) and when it comes to illegal drugs they pick what is most popular.

They seem about 4 years younger on average than average initiation age for alcohol and tobacco.

A point raised by Shukla is that a lot end up continuing to use only marijuana and legal drugs later in their drug career.

My initial thought is that they screened for current/former marijuana users, but if they screened for any illicit drug current/former, because 98% of these users fit that as well, that there would be hardly any difference.

If anything, tobacco was the gateway drug for me. Although my first use of tobacco seemed more on par with the national average on age of initiation of alcohol and tobacco from 2012 17.4 and 17.8 years of age. Just couldn't wait that last 0.6 years.

Last edited:
The study by Shukla included a review of gateway theory.

51 former or current marijuana users were interviewed.

Although the order varied, here is their mean age of initiation by drug: alcohol (13.6), tobacco (13.80), marijuana (15.2), inhalants (16.1), misused prescription drug (18.1), hallucinogens (18.4), others like cocaine and heroin (19.7).

80% used legal (alcohol or tobacco) before any illegal drugs and 70% used marijuana before moving on to other illegal drugs, otherwise marijuana was the second illicit drug used in all but 1.

98% of the participants tried other illicit drugs.

From what I gather, and based on personal experience, certain people are open to illicit activity (crossing the legal barrier) and when it comes to illegal drugs they pick what is most popular.

They seem about 4 years younger on average than average initiation age for alcohol and tobacco.

A point raised by Shukla is that a lot end up continuing to use only marijuana and legal drugs later in their drug career.

My initial thought is that they screened for current/former marijuana users, but if they screened for any illicit drug current/former, because 98% of these users fit that as well, that there would be hardly any difference.

If anything, tobacco was the gateway drug for me. Although my first use of tobacco seemed more on par with the national average on age of initiation of alcohol and tobacco from 2012 17.4 and 17.8 years of age. Just couldn't wait that last 0.6 years.

I love posts like this. <3

I personally don't think marijuana is a gateway drug. I have smoked pot for almost three years now and I haven't had any urge of doing any other type of drug. I started off with drinking alcohol for about a year before I tried pot. I don't plan on doing any other type of drugs and I haven't found pot addictive at all. I personally think it deals with your own will power. I've never been smoking a joint and just had the urge of trying meth or anything else. I've been able to quit smoking pot and take breaks from it for months without any withdrawal's. I just think some people have the will power to stop themselves from trying anything considered a "hardcore" drug and some people just don't have enough will power so they can't stop themselves.