• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Gasoline) - Inexperienced - Inhalants are dangerous. Do not use this chemical.

@ektamine

How kind! Thanks. Regarding writing another report, well I will see if I feel inspired to do so at some point. It's always a bit weird to expose myself like that, this time I did it because I was aware of the informational value of my experiments. With that said I've been an avid trip report reader for many years and thanks to everyone for contributing. There is such a nice community to be found here. Someone else suggested that I should send my report to Erowid and people's positive feedback convinced me to do it. Let's see if they will publish it.

Have patience with the erowid process, they are very overloaded with reports to review so even if you do get it published it might take months and months and months before you can find it.

If anyone wants to watch a movie about how huffing gasoline could possibly screw up one's screwed-up life even more, check out Love Liza, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Kathy Bates. It's a sad film about a man who begins huffing gasoline to escape the memory of his recent wife's suicide. Good movie, but made me feel very uncomfortable, as Hoffman spends most of the film with a canister of gas and a rag in his hand. I find the idea of huffing inhalants very uncomfortable in general, for whatever reason.

That said, a good trip report and cautionary tale.

Also, I gather that the damaging effects of gasoline and inhalants in general seem to be erratic and random; some people get away clean without ill lasting effects, and others can kill themselves on the first dose. The more one does it, though, the greater the chance of lasting damage. Essentially, it's like playing Russian Roulette. And the longer you "play," the greater a risk of damage to several organs in the human body, not to mention an increased cancer risk with regards to gasoline and its benzene content.

Even small amounts, in my opinion, could cause minor organ damage that, while not noticeable at first, might contribute cumulatively to future illnesses of, in particular, the liver and brain. You could have hepatitis at some point that might be made worse because of the supposedly minor liver damage suffered from huffing. What about an increased predilection towards degenerative brain disorders like Alzheimer's? It's possible.

Then again, you might be fine. You probably are. You made it this far! :)

Still, I figured Bluelight could never use enough statements of harm reduction like this one, especially with regards to inhalant use.

^ Thanks for the film recommendation, I'm gonna check it out soon.

I think it was City of God, with the Brazilian slums and street kids who were addicted to paint/glue. Habitual inhalant abuse is such a sad sad thing sometimes :(

Beautifully written, "sniffing like dogs" ha ha

My parents were no hippies and drugs were very taboo at home. They weren't religious either. I was raised to "know" what you shouldn't do and what was allowed, what was polite and what wasn't, what was moral and what was immoral, I was told to respect parental authority, to never trespass, to always obey policemen and the law, and so forth, the whole middle class educational system. I was taught to never do drugs. I never saw anyone taking drugs in front of me as a kid before I did it by myself. My first few joints were rolled with normal paper, cause I didn't know and I was too shy to ask. First time I ate mushrooms I wasn't aware at all of what was going to happen. I was only told to relax and to not freak out if I started feeling anxious. In the small town I was raised there weren't many drugs around or drug dealers or even drug people, it was in fact almost impossible to find anything especially as a kid, unless you knew the right people. So I wasn't born and raised in a drug context at all. I have come to understand that I simply was a very driven kid whenever it meant doing what was forbidden and going beyond the limits of what was expected of me, drugs being only one example.

Exactly why I said it was a life calling! =D But I was only being half-serious. Great to hear about your life context though, I find it fascinating the way someone could end up doing drugs so young, and in that kind of environment. Some of us are born to push the envelope, and then the opportunities happen to present themselves.

Will do with the mushrooms, I'm excited about it.

Thanks to everyone for your nice words!

I wonder though why the title of my report had to be changed? My report was written as a warning, I fail to see why calling it "Inhalants are dangerous. Do not use this chemical" will enhance that. Is it common on this website to change a report's title without asking its author? I didn't write it to promote gasoline sniffing, I thought I had made that clear already? I'm not mad or anything, just wondering really. I hope you won't mind that I've included the original title on top of the text.

Last edited:
Even small amounts, in my opinion, could cause minor organ damage that, while not noticeable at first, might contribute cumulatively to future illnesses of, in particular, the liver and brain. You could have hepatitis at some point that might be made worse because of the supposedly minor liver damage suffered from huffing. What about an increased predilection towards degenerative brain disorders like Alzheimer's? It's possible.Then again, you might be fine. You probably are. You made it this far! :)

I think one of the possible side effects of reading things like that for me might be to have a really bad trip next time I decide to enjoy psychedelics, which is very rare nowadays. When I will start wondering about death, I will most likely remember your words. It sounds almost like an evil prophecy coiled in medical terms. I mean, it's so easy to go completely hypocondriac when other people seem to know much better than you do about how you should be feeling and what are your chances of survival and how your physical, mental and emotional health should be doing in the present as a consequence of something you did 18 years ago. I would have mentioned it if I had suffered from any major illness, physical, mental or emotional. If that could change anything, I have had a brain pet scan in the context of an academical research program at some University (in psychology of perception), and nothing abnormal was found or mentioned. Maybe you might have a suggestion as to some other tests that I should pass to make sure that you are right? Please let me know. If I ever am about to die from some degenerative illness at some point in the future, I promise to mention it here. In the meantime, please leave both my brain and liver alone hehe ;) Don't worry, I've read everything available on the subject (and there is plenty, both moderate and extreme), I know I put my life at risk and I regret it. But why am I alive and in good health? That's an interesting question which doesn't necessarily call for a definite answer. What's even more interesting, to me at least, and that was something my report tried to express, is the psychological effects these experiments had on me, forcing me to question common sense reality. Again, as me and Flickering were thinking, there doesn't seem to be a definite answer as to why it had that effect on me.

Last edited:
Hey just an FYI, just go to "edit" and add to your last post if no one has responded instead of adding a new one. No bigge just a heads up.

As far your title being changed, it was not me but inhaling gasoline is kind of the opposite of harm reduction so we have to be careful with how it is worded. I know your reason for posting this is for the sake of harm reduction, just have to cover all of our bases :) I read this report and thought it was wonderful.

[Moderator's Note] The Psychoactive effects of inhaling gasoline are inseparable from accompanying nerve and organ damage.

The psychoactive effects of inhaling gasoline, at least from my experience, are separable from accompanying psychological and emotional damage, which otherwise said means that psychological and emotional damage is also separable from nerve and organ damage caused by inhaling gasoline. In that respect, it's a bit like tobacco. You indeed are destroying your lungs when smoking it, in fact smokers are risking their life on a daily basis, even though tobacco smoking itself is very pleasing for a lot of people it seems, otherwise there wouldn't be so many smokers on earth.

As far your title being changed, it was not me but inhaling gasoline is kind of the opposite of harm reduction so we have to be careful with how it is worded. I know your reason for posting this is for the sake of harm reduction, just have to cover all of our bases :) I read this report and thought it was wonderful.

Cool that's ok, no problem. Sure I understand we have to be very careful not to take this lightly.

I wonder what are your expectations? You must be a bit nervous about it, right?

I'm a bit frustrated to say my contact with the group that harvested them is sick and won't be going, so basically I'm no longer invited. I'm supposed to be tripping out right about now. Now considering doing DXM again instead, though since it's shrooming season in Australia, another chance will come up soon I'm sure.

I am slightly nervous about it but more excited than anything. I'm expecting a quite altered mode of thinking and some whacky hallucinations, and that if things go badly, I'll be trapped in a nightmare for a few hours. Beyond that I'm open to whatever may come.

@Flickering

Frustrating for sure, I hate looking for something and being unable to find it. In my opinion you should definitely go for the shrooms instead of DXM, but then again I'm not really into dissociatives... I feel nervous every time I enter the psychedelic realm, but with time I've found some breathing techniques to calm down. I was looking forward to your first trip impressions! Too bad your friend is sick.

Last edited:
4 posts merged

I have found a short text which supports my description of the effects of gasoline sniffing:

"This behavior is almost as old as the use of gasoline is in mainstream culture. Gasoline vapors, when inhaled, can trigger an intense hallucinogenic state. The person who inhaled the vapors may experience what feels very much like being asleep and dreaming - while remaining fully awake and somewhat aware of his or her surroundings. Because the individual remains somewhat aware, breaking free from the hallucinogenic state is comparable to waking up from sleep. If they hear, feel, taste, smell, or even sense something in their close proximity - they can generally "snap" back into a somewhat dulled sense of reality. This intense hallucinogenic state generally only lasts a few minutes at a time, and the induction of oxygen back into the body helps to clear the effects faster."

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1439303/sniffing_or_huffing_gasoline_vapors.html?cat=25

Once again it's very close to my descriptions of dreamy land:

"Every single noise echoes endlessly and audio hallucinations are extremely prominent especially outside. Car horns, helicopters, dogs barking, mothers calling for their children. I heard all these things echoeing in an endless loop through my head but don't know which of them were real and which were hallucinations. Strangely every time I huffed I would hear the same sounds echoing through my head and they would form a sort of song. I enjoyed the song so much I looked forward to hitting that peak just so I could hear it. I could almost make out words amidst the echoing noise, and would drive myself to the brink of lunacy trying to discern these jumbled beautiful lyrics. I even went so far as to try and write them down at the peak of my 'huff' and was ecstatic when I thought I had done it. Finally put in writing this strange song that teased my mind for so long. But when I finally came back to reality all that was on the paper was black scribbles. I gave up on the song. Another time I was huffing on the side of my friends house with him, and suddenly realized I was in Australia. I knew I had always been there and it was my job to catch boomerangs thrown from America and translate the messages written on them. It sounds idiotic but at the peak of a gas huff anything goes and you take what you can get. My friend has reported being taken into a cartoon version of the world, and a room filled with silver confetti where a huge eyeball floated in fromt of him and a deep voice laughed from the distance. I was once transported back to my childhood where I stood in a park on a summer day, I could see my friend but he seemed older and I thought for a second that it was my friends older brother and I had known him as a child and had dragged up some old memory since that feeling of dejavu was overwhelming."

Source: http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1361

"Confessions of a Gasoline Huffer", by Brendan Kiley.

Source: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/confessions-of-a-gasoline-huffer/Content?oid=484025

"There is relatively little information about the long-term cognitive effects of long-term, recreational gasoline inhalation among functional subjects who are still residing in their communities."

"A magnetic resonance imaging scan would likely provide only equivocal information on the extent of brain damage because brain mass remains constant, despite the continued loss of brain functional capacity. The SPECT scan was useful for outlining the functional capacity of the brain and might be a useful adjunct in the future for assessing brain impairment from substance inhalation."

Taken from "Low IQ and Gasoline Huffing: The Perpetuation Cycle" (2005).

Source: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/162/5/1020-a

"Volatile substances are chemicals that vaporize to a gaseous form at normal room temperatures. Although the practice of inhaling volatile substances for mind altering and recreational purposes is over one hundred years old, sniffers today consume a vast array of complex chemical compounds whose effects upon the human body are poorly understood. Although the toxic effects of "huffing" most volatile substances are generally transient in nature, there are certain substances that present serious health risks. The primary physical effect of inhalant abuse is on the central nervous system (brain, brain stem, and spinal cord.) It can cause organic brain syndrome, which is the dimished capacity to think, reason, remember, do calculations, and abstract thinking. The most prominent threat with inhalant abuse is the Sudden Sniffing Death (SSD) syndrome. SSD is caused when certain inhalants sensitize the heart from the adrenal hormone epinephrine, resulting in a wildly erratic hearbeat and increased pulse which can end in heart failure and death."

Taken from the "Narcotic Educational Foundation of America".

Source: http://www.cnoa.org/N-07.pdf

"Huffing behavior often begins very young, sometimes by 7 or 8 years of age. Most huffers are young people between 10 and 17 years old, but the habit may persist into the twenties or thirties. I have seen a 34-year-old man as a patient who admits to huffing. The behavior seems to peak in 14 and 15-year-olds; after that age they are more easily able to obtain alcohol and marijuana. Most huffers say that they would prefer to drink and smoke pot if they could. The high from huffing lasts for about 30 to 90 minutes, depending on the substance used. The short duration is one of the appeals; teens can get high in their bedrooms on common household products and then come down for dinner without anyone noticing. It is believed to be a psychotic kind of high, riveting, intense, more powerful than marijuana or alcohol; more like an opiate high. And highly addicting. It occurs almost immediately after inhaling, and makes the user feel giddy, carefree, powerful. A former huffer told me that it was just lots of fun; she and her friends would giggle and laugh uncontrollably for a little while."

Source: http://tundramedicinedreams.blogspot.com/2006/09/huffing_03.html

Last edited:
Hey Verblose I merged your posts for you again :) Interesting reading you added. Before this report it never even dawned on me that a person would inhale gas. I had heard of other inhalants but not gasoline.

^ Yup, gas used to be one of the biggest back in my parents wilder days.

I loved the style of your report and would also be glad to see more TRs coming from you in the future!!

Which octane did u use and which is octane would u say is the best? Have u tried diesel?