• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Gardening in General

Gardening
^^ Income??

Here are some of my lil bb's <3
LI7sUBL.jpg
Left an Ficus "Ginseng" Marginata, I own something alike only with a Benjamina inoculated on top I will post a pic later on. Internet is so slow these day's.

Mine is getting real big, while the Marginata version is compact and symmetric growing.

Forgot where its inoculated on, maybe a Marginata? or is yours also inoculated? Love the swollen root.

Last edited:
What is a 'cuke'?
Cucumber... see where the "K" fits in? lol
The second question I can maybe answer. But you will have to reveal what kinda soil you are growing in.
I dug a two foot deep pit (15x15) in the back yard and we mixed ~30-40 (cant keep up with erryting, mon) big ass bags of miracle-gro garden soil then tilled it all in.

For Pumpkin's my recommendation, try 'Muscat de Provence'

Delicious, but remember to peel of the skin as that is needed with this variety.
Thanks for the recommendation, it looks like those seeds are available here in Australia. The part of my post you removed in your quote explains why I couldn't grow it, but for anyone with lots of space yeah why not.

Also, what is lava starch? And do you mean grafting when you say inoculated? Is that a lost in translation thing?

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks like those seeds are available here in Australia. The part of my post you removed in your quote explains why I couldn't grow it, but for anyone with lots of space yeah why not.

Also, what is lava starch? And do you mean grafting when you say inoculated? Is that a lost in translation thing?
Graftin or inoculating are translation error's on my side. In Dutch its called 'enten'. Couldn't figure out the correct English term.

Btw Pumpkin's can easily be grow vertical instead of horizontal when your space is limited, they need lot's of sun. So a spot that gets sunlight would be ok. Just give em some thing to hold onto and its happy to grow upwards.

As promised my Ficus Benjamina 'ented' on a other Ficus that has the swollen root.

Lava starch is Lava (think Volcanic rock) that has been grinded to fine powder. It supposedly has all the nutrients our soil needs. So no more artificial or natural NPK mixture's.

You can still use Compost and Mulching, Grass (that grows in the wild, not your lawn!) or Seaweed to improve the food status and texture of your soil. But Lava on its own has texture enhancing properties at least on Clay ground, which I have. But it all depends on Ph of the soil. To acid or basic is making it hard for common consumption plant's to take up nutrient's. Most soil is ok though, mine was.

Last edited:
Haha funny how gardeners always give unsolicited advice to each other. Shows you're passionate about it 🙂

I asked about the lave starch because I googled a but but could'nt work out what the equivalent here would be. Lime or Dolomite is a white powder made from crushed limestone. I thought maybe you mean Gypsum which can help structure in a clayvsoil but thats a calcium sulfate from sedimentary soils. Interesting

And I've tried trellises for pumpkins but it didn't work so well as the fruit was too heavy and difficult to support

Haha funny how gardeners always give unsolicited advice to each other. Shows you're passionate about it 🙂

I asked about the lave starch because I googled a but but could'nt work out what the equivalent here would be. Lime or Dolomite is a white powder made from crushed limestone. I thought maybe you mean Gypsum which can help structure in a clayvsoil but thats a calcium sulfate from sedimentary soils. Interesting

And I've tried trellises for pumpkins but it didn't work so well as the fruit was too heavy and difficult to support
yeah they are scary when they hang especially when you stand underneath it ;)

Btw that Ficus of mine besides being at least 13 year's old. Once nested a colony of Ant's. they came through a crack underneath the window. But their home was in the soil of my Ficus. Since then, the ants were gone after we got rid of the crack in the wall. It is flourishing.

And Lava is indeed something else as Lime or Dolomite. What i read was its a full spectrum time release nutrient. So in theory overdosing wouldn't likely happen. Like a very good Multivitamin XR for us.

The effect on the soil texture/ structure are a plus. Combine it with Compost/ Mulch/ wild dried Grass and if you live near it flushed up dry sea weed. Altogether seems like a good recipe. But i'll report back in a year as at this new place i am at i am just starting. So if it works remain's the question.

This is gonna sound terrible but I don't even know what inoculated means when it comes to plants, so I don't know. I just bought the plant from a garden centre 😁
The most common example i can think of is Apple tree's. They take the stem of a firm fast growing Apple variety. Cut it of at a workable hight.

On that spot in the wound they put in. Just theorizing here! A stalk of your favorit Apple, like a Golden delicious. This will probably take some human effort, maybe some sort of stimulating plant drug is used. Like there is rooting powder.

Then you got your favorit apple growing with a firm trunk.

And you are correct people passionate about gardening are a bit scary concerning sharing info. Wanted or unwanted. I am one of em, but not the worst. Not by a margin. Lol.

Gardener's, don't get me started about unwanted advice :) , could write a blog about my adventure's at the community gardening complex. Most of them were 60 +, some even born before ww2. I quitte-d after i relocated.

Last edited:
The most common example i can think of is Apple tree's. They take the stem of a firm fast growing Apple variety. Cut it of at a workable hight.

On that spot in the wound they put in. Just theorizing here! A stalk of your favorit Apple, like a Golden delicious. This will probably take some human effort, maybe some sort of stimulating plant drug is used. Like there is rooting powder.

Then you got your favorit apple growing with a firm trunk.
Your referring to grafting fruit onto a desirable root stock which give the farmer an edge. Shop rootstock then decide what variety you will grow on it. It's actually a very simple process. Even a complete novice with a mature or vigorously growing young tree can successfully graft multiple apple varieties onto the same tree. You want to prepare the cut end of the existing stem that's attached to the tree with forked cut resembling a snakes (female) then the stem (scion) to be grafted has it's too shaved down on either side like a flat clarinet reeds (make) then join the two together. Wrap w rubber bands. Rooting powder can be used to hasten the process. Just do it at the right time of year. Late winter - early summer.

I'm pretty certain Ficus benjamina is native Australian and grows into a (no other way of saying it) fucking enormous tree.

Like most figs. I'm talking 5 meters wide at the trunk in the rainforest. It's a big genus and there are heaps of Aussie species.

I pot figs up that self sow in my nursery. Good indoor plant indeed. Don't plant them in the ground anywhere near your house or pipes though.

There you go. It's ingrained in me to give gardening advice because that's how I was trained in the garden center when I was a kid. And if you're not carefull I'll sell you compost and fertilizer even if you don't need it 🙂

This is gonna sound terrible but I don't even know what inoculated means when it comes to plants, so I don't know. I just bought the plant from a garden centre 😁
The word is out inoculated was incorrect. The word 'ented' (in Dutch) is grafted in English.

Your plants are at least from a garden centre. Mine were mostly bought at the supermarket including the Ficus. At discharge price's!

PS I'm puzzled as to why you would associate lemon exclusively with sweet things. By itself it's tangy and acidic and not at all sweet. If you add a lot of sugar to counteract the sourness then it's great for desserts (I love lemon drizzle cake and ice cream). But it's also a key ingredient in just about every salad dressing. You need it when making either the Sicilian or the Chinese version of lemon chicken. Seafood absolutely loves a little squirt of it, especially when grilled. Anytime you need a touch of sharpness or a bit of a lift to savoury dish it's your go - to. (If you want my recipe for lemony kofte kebabs I'll be happy to share.)

I love fruit desserts the most, and the sourness of lemon gives them a nice tartiness. It's really more to counteract the sweetness than accentuate it.

For savoury foods I don't really think about lemon because I have a variety of vinegar to use instead - apple, white, wine, rice and malt. they all have different flavour profiles and, unlike a juiced lemon, they're shelf stable so in contrast to a choice of vinegars the bother of juicing a lemon seems less enticing.

My latest experiment's, someone reminded of the hanging garden's of Babylon?

But it does make cleaning like vacuuming and such a much eassier job.

Asplenium Nidus, or bird nest Fern.

I love fruit desserts the most, and the sourness of lemon gives them a nice tartiness. It's really more to counteract the sweetness than accentuate it.

For savoury foods I don't really think about lemon because I have a variety of vinegar to use instead - apple, white, wine, rice and malt. they all have different flavour profiles and, unlike a juiced lemon, they're shelf stable so in contrast to a choice of vinegars the bother of juicing a lemon seems less enticing.
Lemon or Lime are only sweet when one is on 'Miracle Berrie's'.

Check it out when you interested as it is a very weird effect i read. Like Peppermint feels cool and Capsicum creates a sensation of heat and pain. Or Stevia that taste's like sugary rich, but is actually de-ploid of it.

The Miracle Berry makes sour taste sweet and also changes our perception to bitter tasting thing's.

The word is out inoculated was incorrect. The word 'ented' (in Dutch) is grafted in English.

Your plants are at least from a garden centre. Mine were mostly bought at the supermarket including the Ficus. At discharge price's!

I got some mealy bugs from the last cactus i grabbed from the supermarket....i need to not do that anymore...ive been hitting with some 70% alcohol but they keep coming back....

ya ever deal with them before on cacti?

I got some mealy bugs from the last cactus i grabbed from the supermarket....i need to not do that anymore...ive been hitting with some 70% alcohol but they keep coming back....

ya ever deal with them before on cacti?
Supermarket plants and herbs always come with fruit fly's. Ime.

So i got a bunch of spider's to take care of that. In other words it sorted itself out in a while, you know nature. Like some sort of equilibrium was reached.

Up till that point they were very annoying at least!
What kinda bug's you have? Share a picture or description.

I'm pretty certain Ficus benjamina is native Australian and grows into a (no other way of saying it) fucking enormous tree.

Like most figs. I'm talking 5 meters wide at the trunk in the rainforest. It's a big genus and there are heaps of Aussie species.

I pot figs up that self sow in my nursery. Good indoor plant indeed. Don't plant them in the ground anywhere near your house or pipes though.

There you go. It's ingrained in me to give gardening advice because that's how I was trained in the garden center when I was a kid. And if you're not carefull I'll sell you compost and fertilizer even if you don't need it 🙂
Being able to grow them outside = I envy you. Over here we have certain adaption's that plant's can make. So you can grow Sweet Potato and Peanut's.

Gardening offer's some succulent's that are resistant to 'below zero' temps like Opuntia and a few Palm tree's. But growing a 'Strangling Fig' Ficus Benjamina outside will have to wait till the climate change reaches temperature's that prevent frost in the winter's.

To learn that on some spots of this earth it is possible to do 4 crop's a year is unimaginable.

Supermarket plants and herbs always come with fruit fly's. Ime.

So i got a bunch of spider's to take care of that. In other words it sorted itself out in a while, you know nature. Like some sort of equilibrium was reached.

Up till that point they were very annoying at least!
What kinda bug's you have? Share a picture or description.

mealybugs

ndpeHqtm.jpg

That seem's like a hand job, had them on my San Pedro's.

Think they are called wool mites. Just rub em off til they stay gone. Nice Pedro, I dis carted mine when I had kid's.