• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Gardening in General

Gardening
beautiful! 😍💜💛

Thanks! I forgot the violas, they've gone crazy and are looking amazing this year:

ORv020H.jpg

I've been building a pergola for the last few days in between melting in the sweltering sun and running from deadly biting insects. Might take a pic when it's finished, depending on how rubbish it looks lol. I made the amateur mistake of hammering in post spikes to anchor it rather than filling holes with concrete, in ground that's about 50:50 giant chunks of stone/flint and soil. So it took 2 days just to get the fecking things level in the end. Never again! :ROFLMAO:

i've given up on gardening this year, there's already a surplus growing.

waiting on the gooseberries to get ripe -

the raspberries have begun a significant fruiting season -

...which has drawn invaders like this trashpanda -

also have some herbs going - chives and oregano, lemon balm.

the lemon balm makes a delicious tea and is potent GABA agonist as well.

there's also a lot of jerusalem artichoke, not flowering yet. i'm looking into sourcing a type of yeast that can convert the inulin in those into alcohol.

Yo fam I got my light. Gonna take it to my crib and finally have some life in the environment. Got it for wife so she could grow her herbs in the winter but for some reason she ain't having it.
Wonder what else I can grow?
Uses very little electricity as it mains via USB and block so I imagine I could run it on a laptop if needed. Can't for the life of me figure out what on earth could happen that would cause a need to use a laptop (or phone) to provide power to an indoor growing light... Just can't do it.
Maybe I should create a thread and grow what some would like to see. I have everything cept the germ (idea and seed).
Peace
<3
UXec8jq.jpg

One option I like is to use one or both lamps.
4, 8 and 12 hr timer options.
5 brightness settings.
Very little to no heat produced.

Yo fam I got my light. Gonna take it to my crib and finally have some life in the environment. Got it for wife so she could grow her herbs in the winter but for some reason she ain't having it.
Wonder what else I can grow?
Uses very little electricity as it mains via USB and block so I imagine I could run it on a laptop if needed.

that's pretty interesting, got a link to it? i'm curious about the bare minimum needed, if a decent amount of herbs can be grown with such little light. fruiting plants are probably out of the question but there's always value in having some fresh herbs growing.

Fionnula, one of my cherry tomatoes that I planted in a bucket, got hit with blight earlier in the season and nearly died. I cut all the blight off, stuck her in the conservatory not really expecting her to survive, and surprisingly she bounced back. She's now flowering and fruiting like mad, despite the dark cold British weather. So now I'm wondering just how long I can keep her going... :unsure:

I grew jalapeños this year, I did try and grow a selection of super hots but they didn't grow well at all, 2 of the jalapeño plants did, I grew them in my windowsill in the UK and when I had quite a few I made cowboy candy for the first time, it's so good it's jalapeños in a sweet spicy syrup, I ended up buying similar chilli's to jalapeños from the shops aswell to make more cowboy candy, been making it often

I had to take the last of the jalapeños off last night and cut all the leaves off and also cut the plant right down as I'm going to try and overwinter it, I normally just grow from seed but I thought I'd try and overwinter one and see how it goes, poor thing is now basically a twig lol

• Fire
Reactions: CFC
oMOgTXh.jpg

So far the plants are doing great. :) Other than the lamp they get no other light. The gollum jade is really looking to be thriving I haven't seen this plant grow like this in any other lighting even natural.
stuck her in the conservatory
Like a greenhouse? Not sure how that translates from English to English. :LOL:Peace and hope all is well.
J

• Love
oMOgTXh.jpg

So far the plants are doing great. :) Other than the lamp they get no other light. The gollum jade is really looking to be thriving I haven't seen this plant grow like this in any other lighting even natural.

Like a greenhouse? Not sure how that translates from English to English. :LOL:Peace and hope all is well.
J

Do you guys not have conservatories out there? It's kinda like having a greenhouse, but attached to the house as a spare room. Gets insanely hot in summer and freezing cold in winter lol.

CONSERVATORY-TITLE.jpg

I grew jalapeños this year, I did try and grow a selection of super hots but they didn't grow well at all, 2 of the jalapeño plants did, I grew them in my windowsill in the UK and when I had quite a few I made cowboy candy for the first time, it's so good it's jalapeños in a sweet spicy syrup, I ended up buying similar chilli's to jalapeños from the shops aswell to make more cowboy candy, been making it often

I had to take the last of the jalapeños off last night and cut all the leaves off and also cut the plant right down as I'm going to try and overwinter it, I normally just grow from seed but I thought I'd try and overwinter one and see how it goes, poor thing is now basically a twig lol

If you can get most of the roots and pot it up, you don't need to cut it back like that if you don't want. I've got a 70,000 scoville one in the conservatory and it's doing fab - still got flowers and new chillies coming on. It can carry on fruiting year round if you treat it well.

If you can get most of the roots and pot it up, you don't need to cut it back like that if you don't want. I've got a 70,000 scoville one in the conservatory and it's doing fab - still got flowers and new chillies coming on. It can carry on fruiting year round if you treat it well.

Oh no it was already potted up and in my windowsill, but I watched video's and read online I need to prune it right back so it goes dormant and can save its energy for next year, I was going to keep it as a plant without chillies through winter till I read that as in the UK its not hot or light for long enough to produce chillies it said online

Poor plant it had even grew me chillies in October, small ones yeah but it's only a small plant, well it was it's just a stem with 2 branches going into 2 Y's now lol

What chillies do you grow?

Oh no it was already potted up and in my windowsill, but I watched video's and read online I need to prune it right back so it goes dormant and can save its energy for next year, I was going to keep it as a plant without chillies through winter till I read that as in the UK its not hot or light for long enough to produce chillies it said online

Poor plant it had even grew me chillies in October, small ones yeah but it's only a small plant, well it was it's just a stem with 2 branches going into 2 Y's now lol

What chillies do you grow?

Lol yeah I noticed the number of YT videos saying that, but it's kind of a misunderstanding related to outdoor winter conditions in higher latitudes. Pruning it back can sometimes be helpful, but it's a small tropical perennial and doesn't require it if grown indoors. Generally speaking pruning is going to force it to invest energy into regrowth that could instead have been invested in flowering and fruiting (when the conditions are right).

Generally speaking pruning is going to force it to invest energy into regrowth that could instead have been invested in flowering and fruiting (when the conditions are right)

That does make so much sense, dammit well it's my first go at overwintering so I'll know not to prune if I overwinter one again, I quite like growing from seed though, I get excited when they start to sprout, it took so long this year as we had a very cold start to spring

They'll be less pests now I've pruned it right back though, the only pests I had this year was them tiny little flys that love the soil, I put some small yellow fly traps made for plants on thete that helped alot, other years I had allsorts of bugs and small green caterpillars, that creeped me out so I put them plants outside and didn't grow anymore for a few years, till this year actually if it happened again I'd of quit as I hate bugs lol, the flys was bad enough lol